2442 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegalleyrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 3104521934
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 1:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: Whatever special touches your evening requires, THE GALLEY is the ideal choice for everything from a quiet, candle-lit birthday dinner to a large anniversary party or corporate event. Captain Ron can customize your menu with a variety of unique and creative items. The Galley’s seafaring interior includes four quaint dining rooms, comfortable candle lit booths, the large South Seas Bar and outdoor patio complete with sea shells, fishing net and water fountain.
- Private Party Contact: Ron Schur 3104521934
A word from The Galley
Opened in 1934, The Galley remains Santa Monica’s oldest restaurant & bar and a beautifully preserved California landmark. With Captain Ron at the helm to make sure the drinks are stiff and the friendly service is first class, The Galley customers enjoy the best that Santa Monica has to offer from its oldest hidden treasure! Captain Ron gives customers a wide variety of menu choices including eight selections of mouth-watering Steaks, perfectly-prepared Chicken, Seafood, Pastas and Vegetarian dishes. Highlighted menu favorites include the East Coast Little Neck Clams, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Lobster Tacos and Filet Mignon Chili as well as the Galley Salad with famed “secret recipe” salad dressing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Galley reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- My kind of placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2014I love old stalwart restaurants that have stood the test of time and the waves of trends... all by offering good food in a unique space.Special Features:
- Love the GalleyBigOlDadDined on 9/6/2014The wife suggested we go to the Galley for our anniversary. We grew up in Santa Monica and hadn't been there for years. Arrived early for happy hour to have cocktails and appetizers. The drinks were well poured :-). The shrimp cocktail was great. Big meaty shrimp and a tangy sauce. The crab cakes were OK. Next time we'll try the chili. Ordered the Plank Steak for 2...it was huge! A great value. The folks at the bar were friendly. The bartender Emily was very engaging, the hostess Dora was accommodating and our server provided excellent service. (Sorry, I forgot her name). Overall, a very charming neighborhood restaurant that offered great service, friendly staff, and tasty food and drink!Special Features:
- You can have a conversation.A1BananaDined on 8/31/2014This is a comfortable place with good food and there are booths where the noise level is subdued enough to have a conversation with your dinner companion(s).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE The GalleyChryslerRoseVIPDined on 8/31/2014The Galley offers so much: informal, excellent service, exceptional food -- all in down town Santa Monica! The multi-colored lights and fishing decorations are fun to look at and create a cozy atmosphere!Special Features:
- a failure at all levelsSandyDined on 8/29/2014weve been going there for years and always loved it.Cap,n Ron did a great job. This last visit ended our love affair with the Galley.The food was mediocre.Fish next to inedible.The waitperson was rude,condescending,almost insulting.Its busy there,but clearly a "failed restaurant".
- NEIGHBORHOOD GEMFRENCHIEDined on 8/27/2014FUN PLACE RETRO ATMOSPHERE GOOD FOR CASUAL DINING sERVICE IS OK BUT NOT THAT ATTENTIVE AND DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING SPECIAL FOR BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION EVEN THOUGH MENTIONED IN RES WAITRESS COMPLETELY IGNORED REQUEST. MATTER OF FACT EVEN THOUGH WE MADE RES THRU OPENTABLE AFTER WAITING 10 MIN FOR HOSTESS SHE JUST SAT US DOWN WITHOUT INQUIRING IF WE HAD RES OR NOT?? oVERALL OK BUT WAITRESSES NOT ATTENTIVE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bunnyDined on 8/21/2014steak for two was tough aand had to be sent back--was sliced and found gristle..we were credited$20..second time we've been there and steak had to sent back.
- Love it.meandmeDined on 8/18/2014I've been going to the Galley for years and I just love this place. It feels warm and unassuming and most importantly I always feel like the staff is actually happy to see me. The food is great...maybe not "foodie" level, but if you want a top notch steak, some solid sides and a smiling face to take your order, then make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night!maxandstellaDined on 8/9/2014Ten of us went to celebrate a friend's birthday. Half the group had never been before and just kept saying "we have to come back and eat inside!". We ate outside because she wanted a summery celebration. Everyone loved it. The food was great and the waitress was very attentive. The only issue we had was that I made my reservation on Open Table and put a note that we wanted a table outside. I called the day before to confirm that that would happen. They confirmed it would. When I got there (a little early) they seemed to be scrambling to get our table together. We were seated 1/2 hour after our reservation. This would have been much worse had the birthday girl not gotten there 35 mins late!Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 8/2/2014been there before. Over 20 years. Drove an hour to get there. Didn't mind. Great fish, lobster, clams. Still the same. Be back.Special Features:
- To clarifyFrenchie1Dined on 7/19/2014I'm a long time customer at the Galley (8 years), but last time I went (after i didn't go for a year or so), it was way overcrowded, service was overwhelmed and it could be interpreted as bad service. and the noise level was WAY WAY too high, we couldn't hear each other talk and had to eat our food and get the hell out of there. or maybe i 'm getting older and nostalgic. the food is always good though!Special Features:
- UniqueLindodaDined on 7/12/2014Fun atmosphere. For a seafood place I was surprised that both the Ahi and Halibut were overcooked. The prawn appetizer was excellent as was the calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOR KIDSHowardVIPDined on 6/26/2014GREAT FOR KIDS. Bring them all and make sure they are particularly unruly. Let them run around, scream, DANCE, fight, even throw food. GREAT place for this type of behavior. Why not make it a party!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014Hands down THE best steak I've had in awhile. Wasn't able to finish it and ate the leftovers the next day and it was STILL delicious!Special Features:
- The following 273 reviews are from the The Galley reviews archive.
- Always awesomeLovinglifeDined on 5/18/2014A nice step back in time to when Santa Monica was a sleepy beach town. Always awesome. Always great. Always fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindMelissaDined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant. Loud but vibrant. The kind of place that will remember what you drink. Doesn't look like much except a bar with Christmas lights (in May) but the food is excellent! Would definitely return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014Food was good as usual. Bar was loud as usual. Did NOT have our open table reservation as usual. They should not take reservations if they can't convey them to their hostess. She has no computer, so she has no w Way of checking. I showed her my confirmation, and was put on the list with others with same Issue. 45 minutes later we were seated....why bother being on open table! Very annoying, as usual. Taking a break from galley for a whileSpecial Features:
- late night dininglisaDined on 4/18/2014Was looking for a light late night dinner and arrived at the Galley after 9:15 pm. The restaurant was in full swing, service was very organized and efficient, food was eclectic and appealing, drinks were original and tasty.Special Features:
- The Galley is consistently great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014Been coming to the Galley for about 4 years now, we get here about 3 times a year, and always have a large group, 10 or more. The place in always lively and a happy staff help to make it a fun evening. The Steak and sea food is excellent. The bar is always energetic and the clientele are sociable. The fact that it always feels like xmas eve with all the lights inside is a bonus!!! Will always use the Galley as our "go-to" in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- Fun placeDizzvizDined on 4/5/2014I've been going to The Galley for years and recently took some friends who had never been. We all had great food, great drinks and a great time. The jukebox is an added bonus to the already vibrant atmosphere. Always call for a reservation on the weekends because it gets busy.Special Features:
- Historic GemZizzaVIPDined on 3/31/2014Love the history behind this neighborhood gem. They've been around since 1938, so they're doing everything right! The fish was fresh; the wine, good; and the service very good. Loved the twinkle lights. Will definitely go back, especially with friends and family from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the steak & seafood,DaveVIPDined on 3/31/2014We enjoyed the steak & seafood, the cocktails were very good, and the service was great. Also really liked the Nautical - Tiki theme!Special Features:
- A Perfect Family Birthday DinnerSMLOCALDined on 3/26/2014We love the Galley 1) because of the ambiance and 2) because of the food. It is a magical place, and can make any dinner feel festive. The food was so yummy and there is something for everyone. I recommend it for any fun occasion - especially with kids.Special Features:
- Best clams I can findTepstoyDined on 3/21/2014If you like steamed clams this is the place. All of the food is wonderful. Filet mignon chili superb. Fried shrimp JUMBO and tasty without being buried in batter. Make a reservation unless you want to stand by the bar. Worth the wait if you are lazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galley Is SlippingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2014Let me preface my comments by stating I've dined at The Galley for over forty years. The service is outstanding. I've dined there twice in the last month and the quality of the food has declined appreciably. My New York steak was tough and overcooked and the French fries & onion rings were cold and stale. On my second visit the Chicken Parmesan was tough and over cooked and the linguini was soggy and as far from Al Dente as pasta can get. At the prices they charge the cuisine should be of the best quality and prepared perfectly and my last two experiences there were subpar and inadequate. There are many more places to dine on Main Street that are better nowadays.
- The Galley: One of my favorite restOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014My parents brought me to The Galley when I was ten years old and I go there when I'm very hungry for a steak. The service is always great and the bartenders pour real drinks. It's a little pricey but that's OK with me because I always have such a good time there and I know the meal will be excellent.Special Features:
- Good seafood place! Not crazySandraVIPDined on 10/20/2012Good seafood place! Not crazy about their light decor.
- Classic Santa Monica restaurantLSGADined on 10/13/2012Classic Santa Monica restaurant open for dinner only. Great bar with wonderful Happytizers. Friendly and efficient staff serving good and plentiful food. Don't miss this restaurant.Special Features:
- I hate to give a not-so-goodiggypopDined on 9/1/2012I hate to give a not-so-good review. I have been to the Galley many times and I live in the neighborhood. I like the owner management and staff. It's a great place. I just had a very mediocre steak last weekend. I have had the culotte before and it was great, this time it wasn't the best piece of meat and wasn't cooked great. I get the feeling they pan-cook their steaks and that can be hit and miss. I do heartily recommend the Galley, I am just again not sold on their steaks. Sometimes great, sometimes very average. I will return but maybe only when I am in the mood for fish.Special Features:
- Fun dining, but not fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2012I had high expectations for the Galley. We had a party of 4 in celebration of my husband's bday. Three gentleman ordered steaks and I got the shrimp scampi. 2 of the 3 guys were quite unsatisfied with their orders and 1 said he thought it tasted great. My shrimp was OK, but I wouldn't say it was worth the price. The decor is tacky yet fun, so I wouldn't return for romance but maybe a good drink (those were strong) and some seafood.Special Features:
- The Galley sets the standardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012You have to love the Galley because these sorts of places are so rare these days. It's almost 80 years old and their tradition of friendly hospitality developed over all those years is apparent from the moment you walk in the door. It's great for steaks and sea food. It has an excellent bar. And the ambience is nautical and, at the same time, down home. The staff is warm and accommodating. Patrons are made to feel they're valued, hip or not.Special Features:
- A great Steak and SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/11/2012A great Steak and Seafood restaurant with a wonderful wait staff too.Special Features:
- You'll love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2012I have been going to the Galley for more than 25 years. I just love this place. It has great food, wonderful service, and you can't find a better steak for the price anywhere in Santa Monica. The "Galley girls" are adorable and add that special something to the dining experience. Try the house salad and read the story about the salad dressing; you'll enjoy them both.Special Features:
- neighborhood spot. heavy drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2012neighborhood spot. heavy drinks. great service. so so food. staple of santa monica.Special Features:
- Great food, fun decorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012We went here for our 5th anniversary and the staff greeted us right away with a "Happy Anniversary" and sat us immediately. The food was great and the service was spot on. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very comfortable vibe. CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Very comfortable vibe. Casual scene, yet the Steaks, Lamb Chops and Shrimp Cocktails had by our table were all top notch. Service was wonderful, no rushing. The bar pours a good drink. Food is not cheap$$, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- You are plunged back intoOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2012You are plunged back into the 60's. Service is excellent and the food reliably great.Special Features:
- Good food as always, and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2012Good food as always, and great service. Just a fun place.Special Features:
- Great Halibut. I love comingjudyjetsonDined on 7/20/2012Great Halibut. I love coming to dinner here- always consistent and FUN!Special Features:
- The food was nice and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2012The food was nice and the restaurant had great decorations. We had a good time and had good conversations.Special Features: