24 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegagechicago.com/
- Phone: 3123724243
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Madison
- Public Transit: The Brown, Purple, Green, Orange and Pink Lines drop you off at Madison St. and Wabash St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant). The Red Line drops you off at Monroe St. and State St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant. The 3, 4, X4, 14, 26, 127, 145, 147, 148, and 151 bus routes all stop within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is offered by The University Club at 76 E. Monroe. In addition, there are several parking lots located just steps from the restaurant. The closest lot is the Grant Park Garage which can be accessed from Michigan Avenue. The elevator/escalator at the South end of the garage is located directly in front of the restaurant's entrance.
A word from The Gage
The Gage is a 3-star rated restaurant located across from Millennium Park in a historically landmarked building built in the late 1800s. The Gage offers upscale, yet casual dining in a vintage atmosphere inspired by the gastropubs of Ireland and England. Time Out has said The Gage's menu "covers every craving" and includes Scotch eggs, fresh seafood, locally made sausages, burgers, steaks, salads and Guinness-battered fish and chips. The Libations list features craft beers, interesting wines and a selection of Irish whiskeys and single malts. Open for dinner at 4 everyday, The Gage is also open for lunch at 11 and brunch Saturday and Sunday at 10. The Gage offers the perfect setting for a casual drink, a business meeting or a formal event--refined rusticity--steps from MillenniumContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gage reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (242)great for lunch (202)vibrant bar scene (196)hot spot (144)neighborhood gem (136)great for outdoor dining (126)good for groups (110)great for brunch (91)special occasion (83)notable wine list (56)late-night find (51)scenic view (51)romantic (37)kid-friendly (25)Show More
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014The front part of the restaurant was filled with tourists and Chicago Bears' fans and was pretty lively. Thankfully we were seated in the back section so we were somewhat insulated from all that. The Poutine is solid comfort-food and on the order each time we visit. Other entree items were carefully done.Special Features:
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Have been before and never dissatisfied, except for this time. The trout dish was fishy and salty, uneatable and had to get something else. The Venison Schnitzel was a good idea but was tough. Service was great, attentive and understanding.Special Features:
- OktoberfestsloanflynnDined on 9/23/2014Great seasonal menu and great service. Loved the twist on the traditional chicken & dumplings.Special Features:
- Perfect & ReliableSamLDined on 9/22/2014My boyfriend wanted to dress up and do a "fancy" dinner for his birthday, but specified that the place had to have a good beer selection. So quickly booked at The Gage. The dining crowd is a good mix of happy hour, suits getting off of work, business dinners, and couples who have theater tickets nearby. Manages to keep most of the casual crowd near the bar and the diners in the back creating two distinct atmospheres in one restaurant. Can't complain about anything. My boyfriend bragged to the waitress that it was his birthday and we ended up getting a dessert on the house. Very nice touch.Special Features:
- Successful Business DinnersTravelerDined on 9/21/2014I had two business dinners in two days and the first was so enjoyable that I went back to The Gage for the second. It is a little loud, but we had a booth which helped tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere/Disappointing FoodclchicagoDined on 9/21/2014The atmosphere and service at the Gage were great but the food was kind of disappointing -- especially for the price. My beet salad was delicious but my entree (chicken & dumplings) was bland and cold when it arrived. I have friends who really love the place, so I will probably give it another try for a beer and a burger.
- GeneralOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Very disappointed in being placed by door with reservations asked for something different; cold and noisy
- Go back at Gage if you are blackCaseyCDined on 9/21/2014We were seated in 3 different booth, first 2 no lights to hide the bi-racial blackness of one of our skins. I am ashamed to be of Irish heritage. Dark corners are for dark skinned people at The Gage.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed our lunch as it was very tasty!the salad was especially flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BurgerNaplesNativeVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went for a casual Sunday evening - sat outside, good people watching, well made martinis, delicious burger and lamb chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the GageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014We love the Gage. We are so happy we found it several years ago. We try to go there whenever we're in Chicago. Never tire of it!Special Features:
- poor servicebnelsenDined on 9/21/201410 minute wait at table before a server came to ask if we wanted coffee or tea and the bad service just continued. Though pleasant, the server did not bring out the entire order and had to be asked where some of it was. We sat with dirty plates once done for a long time and had to ask for them to be removed. Each time there was an excuse (oh, I though t someone else would bring that to you) rather than an apology. Food however, was excellent.Special Features:
- Lively Atmosphere, Good FoodsteakloverDined on 9/20/2014My dining experience at The Gage was pleasant and memorable. Had an initial bad experience with the person that seated us. We had reservations, once we arrived we requested a booth. He took us directly to the back by the kitchen. It was too hot back there and I said I did not mind waiting longer until another booth, or table, became available near the front. He immediately got an attitude and his response was unpleasant. Once we got past that and given another seating, everything took off. Our waitress was EXCELLENT. Food was delicious. The manager came to check on us to see if we were enjoying ourselves. He was extremely kind and attentive. The rest of the evening made up for the bad beginning. I recommend The Gage and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the rageaficionadoDined on 9/20/2014Great food and good ambiance. When I go to the Art Institute, this is my pick for lunch. Did not have any disappointing experience with this place yet. On the contrary - it is always great to dine here.Special Features:
- engprofVIPDined on 9/19/2014Despite the overheated bar scene, there's a good restaurant beyond it. Great burgers, but also serious food. Delicate appetizers as well as rack of elk. Interesting wines from Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option for a night outVeronicaDined on 9/19/2014The food was very good and the service was very kind and friendly. Nice option for a night out.Special Features:
- Happening spot but very noisyParkRudgeFoodieDined on 9/18/2014Decent food but noisy and busy. Not sure I'd go back especially on a weekday.Special Features:
- Upscale Bar FoodEWess92VIPDined on 9/17/2014Gage has great bar food and drinks with a vibrant scene late into the evening.Special Features:
- almost 5 starsMisssaraDined on 9/14/2014The food here was great! We ordered the poutine and the deep fried pickles for an appetizer and they were fabulous. The only thing I was not pleased about was the servers knowledge about the craft beers. I am new to the craft beer thing, and he wasnt able to answer any of my questions. I ended up googling the beer I was interested in trying. Other than that, I would recommend this place to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!WildvioletteDined on 9/13/2014Overall pretty good food, decent wine list, excellent atmosphere! We went for lunch and i bet dinner here is amazing because few restaurants come close to the ambience in this place. We will be back!Special Features:
- gridirongirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Good food, great service too noisy, they need their own valetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Eat HereNomnomnomVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Gage is amazing. Great food, great service, amazing beer list, and an ambiance that makes you feel like it's the place to be. The owner is also very active on the floor and does a great job touching tables. The reason you shouldnt eat here is because I would prefer not to have anymore competition for tables and/or bar space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always LOVE The Gage...ClarenceVIPDined on 9/12/2014My girlfriends from college were in town for a mini-reunion and I booked The Gage for our first night together! It was an amazing experience with a round booth so we could all talk comfortably with each other. The service was outstanding. Our waiter even put the last 2 sea bass orders on hold for us. The sea bass special was amazing!! Our entire group ordered a fish entre. Everything was top-notch from the drinks to the salads, to the bread/butter (to die for) to the fish entrees. The desserts are out of this world. I always love bringing my visitors to The Gage...great atmosphere, wonderful food, superior service. We had a great time! Will certainly be back with my next guests! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisyNeighborDined on 9/12/2014Daughter and boyfriend in town and wanted to take them to place with good beer menu as well as interesting food close to where we live. Walk by all the time and commented how outdoor patio looks nice. Unfortunately was cold and rainy the night we attended so had to sit inside. First thing we noticed was how loud it is. Actually so loud had to shout at each other across the small table and waitress had to lean in to make herself heard. But our daughter and boyfriend liked the beer menu and found new beers they both loved. My husband and I each found nice glasses of wine from wine list. Food was all very good and service was great. If not looking for quiet, relaxing experience I would recommend.Special Features:
- A continual favoriteKDBalVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had lunch there this time. The smoked salmon BLT was outstanding. I recommend it! My friend and I split two lunches. The staff happily split the food for us---which was great. the other entree was Gage's famous fish and chips. All was delicious.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014Great food, great location, but really crowded and noisy. If the weather had been nicer we would have sat outside and had no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!SuepDined on 9/11/2014We had a great day playing tourist in our own backyard. I had heard great things about The Gage and we decided to give it a try. The food and atmosphere were amazing. The duck and the venison burger were outstanding. I'm a sucker for desserts that are made in house and these did not disappoint! I definitely want to go back!Special Features:
- Best in the LoopMdainVIPDined on 9/10/2014You can not find a better place south of the river for a business lunch. The service is friendly and efficient. The food is outstanding. I always feel welcome at the Gage. The place is hopping at night; a real must do.Special Features:
- good spot for lunchbeanosbeantownDined on 9/7/2014I went to Gage on the last day of a weekend trip to Chicago. I am very glad I did. The breakfast poutine and venison burger were both delicious. Service was great too. The burger came out cut in half on two separate plates without us even asking for it to be served that way. The outdoor seating is also very nice, especially with the garden-wall sectioning it off from the busy street. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Chidi20VIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband & I always enjoy going to the Gage before a Bears game for brunch. This past Sunday we waited for our food for 35 minutes. People seated after us were served first. When we asked our waitress she said there was a backup in the kitchen due to too many resv @the same time. Inexcuseable. You know people are coming for brunch. My husbands eggs were cold.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gage is so good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Amanda is a fantastic server! Loved the unique wine and the food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongCalkatDined on 9/5/2014Both food and service were fantastic. We had a reservation for 4, but when we arrived we saw a friend at the bar and the maître d accommodated all of us. We had a number of apps, but wanted to start with oysters and our server suggested the perfect sparkling wine. She also helped us select our desserts, wich were some of the best I've had in months!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party in the frontTCAtlantaDined on 9/4/2014Walked in, very cool vibe, and then we were seated literally in the back next to the kitchen. Even though I made reservations a month and a half in advance. Very disappointed but the food was good and service was great. Heirloom tomato salad could use a few less tomatoes!Special Features:
- Location, location, locationSisuDined on 9/4/2014Large portions of food, some unique dishes, but the place packs people and tables in like sardines and bad acoustics so even when it's empty it feels crowded. More of an after work bar scene atmosphere than a place for a couple on a date. Great location, good service and food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, real good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Great unique food, little pricey, really loud party next too us having a birthday and screaming. I would definitely go back, hopefully no crazy bday next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise on Chicago visit!eddieDined on 9/2/2014Fun was fun, waiter was good, Scotch Egg was to die for!Special Features:
- Awesome find.ebowVIPDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I discovered this place a few months ago on a day trip to Chicago. We had a wonderful dinner, and decided to return there recently when we took another trip into the city. It did not disappoint - the food is wonderful, excellent wine list, meticulously attentive staff, and very controllable noise level despite a vibrant bar scene, much activity around, and very pleasing choice of music played in the background. We will continue to return to this wonderful restaurant when we make our next trip to Chicago!Special Features:
- My favorite in the loopclassydinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014As a resident of Streeterville, I know the local restaurants well. The Gage is at the top of my list for the quality of food and service and delightful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The GageSydneydinerDined on 8/30/2014From Australia, we were looking for a mod American pub experience. The Gage was great. Our waiter was fabulous with great local beer and wine suggestions and explanations of the menu. The food was excellent - fresh heirloom salads and wonderful mains. Desserts were unusual, and not at all what we were expecting. The room was wonderful, we were not pushed through in a rush and the whole evening was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly DisappointedCincytopDined on 8/29/2014The Concierge at our hotel suggested this spot for a quick bite before heading to a concert with our two teenage girls. We made a reservation for 5pm on a Friday and were seated right away. The bar and restaurant was almost filled and lively. The service was quick and curteous. Unfortunatly, the menu was limited and the food was not up to par for Chicago fare. I had the snapper and pasta which was tasteless and dry. My friend had the chicken which was overcooked, as were the vegetables. Our daughters had chicken fingers and a hamburger, which they didn't finish, even though they were famished. We had a great girls getaway in the city, however, I wish we had picked a better spot for dinner.Special Features: