24 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegagechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 372-4243
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Madison
- Public Transit: The Brown, Purple, Green, Orange and Pink Lines drop you off at Madison St. and Wabash St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant). The Red Line drops you off at Monroe St. and State St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant. The 3, 4, X4, 14, 26, 127, 145, 147, 148, and 151 bus routes all stop within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is offered by The University Club at 76 E. Monroe. In addition, there are several parking lots located just steps from the restaurant. The closest lot is the Grant Park Garage which can be accessed from Michigan Avenue. The elevator/escalator at the South end of the garage is located directly in front of the restaurant's entrance.
A word from The Gage
The Gage is a 3-star rated restaurant located across from Millennium Park in a historically landmarked building built in the late 1800s. The Gage offers upscale, yet casual dining in a vintage atmosphere inspired by the gastropubs of Ireland and England. Time Out has said The Gage's menu "covers every craving" and includes Scotch eggs, fresh seafood, locally made sausages, burgers, steaks, salads and Guinness-battered fish and chips. The Libations list features craft beers, interesting wines and a selection of Irish whiskeys and single malts. Open for dinner at 4 everyday, The Gage is also open for lunch at 11 and brunch Saturday and Sunday at 10. The Gage offers the perfect setting for a casual drink, a business meeting or a formal event--refined rusticity--steps from MillenniumContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gage reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (257)vibrant bar scene (196)great for lunch (189)hot spot (181)neighborhood gem (127)good for groups (118)great for brunch (99)great for outdoor dining (93)special occasion (87)notable wine list (64)late-night find (51)romantic (45)scenic view (38)kid-friendly (20)Show More
- Very good food and serviceLaTableSirVIPDined on 11/20/2014The Gage is reliably good. The menu has been updated some, but still reflects its pub roots. A late lunch works better than a noon one, as the place gets very crowded and loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a miss.LisaDined on 11/19/2014The beer battered fish was part undercooked and all underwhelming. The service was top notch and the room a gem. Sadly, the food will keep me from coming back
- Good place to eat, but the hostess...SandynTheoVIPDined on 11/18/2014I made the reservation through the Open Table days before my lunch date. The reservation was set for 2 at 11:45 am and we were 5' early, pleased to see that the lunch crowd was still away. The food was good and the waiter was very polite and efficient. The hostess on the other hand, went out of her way to give us a table as far back in the restaurant as possible, even though we kindly requested for a booth and 80 percent of the restaurant's tables were empty. Her sheer unfriendliness and pretentious interest made her come across arrogant and hard in safekeeping tables for the customers, as if we were not! I would recommend the Gage to others, if the restaurant management finds a way to temper or train the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente lugar Comida internacional de fusión!!AlexDined on 11/17/2014Recomendado x amigos y el concierge del hotel. Excelente ubicación, buenos cocktales y a pesar de ser comida internacional de fusión la porciones son suficientes. El costo es promedio pero calidad precio lo valeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for a business lunch.DiningDonnaDined on 11/17/2014Service was attentive and food is consistently good. The soup dujour (mushroom), salmon BLT and Buffalo Chicken sandwiches were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious, and busyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2014We forgot about the Bears game that day, so the place was hopping when we got there at 11. I got the johnny cakes, one friend got the crab cake breakfast, and another got the salmon. We also tried a scotch egg, which was wonderful. We were all surprised and delighted at how filling and tasty our meals were, and the server was friendly and prompt. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great, museum-friendly locationRiv1Dined on 11/15/2014My husband and I visited this restaurant for brunch as we celebrated his 40th birthday. He had the buffalo sandwich/chicken orzo soup, and I had the smoked salmon/bagel. Our reservations were timed just as they opened, so they weren't very busy yet, but it appeared to be a nice atmosphere, and everyone was very friendly. My husband said the buffalo sandwich was excellent, though he did not believe there was anything that stood out about the chicken orzo soup. I LOVED the smoked salmon! The coffee was ok, though I was a bit bummed that they only had "raw" sugar rather than white (I know it's more processed, but I prefer the flavor of the white sugar). Finally, they were kind enough to surprise us with two small glasses of champagne at the end of our meal, as I had mentioned on my reservation that we would be celebrating my husband's birthday. Overall, a very nice, pleasant experience! To top it all off, we walked directly across the street to visit the Art Institute after our meal. Would recommend, and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, subpar serviceKLG1013Dined on 11/14/2014The meal was fantastic but out service was just terrible. Our waiter completely ignored us the entire time and didn't say more than three words the entire evening. At the end of the meal he stopped and had a nice 10 minute conversation with the table next to us and then threw our check on the table without a word. I'm not sure if he was annoyed because we didn't order any drinks and I just had a small meal but he seemed annoyed he had to wait on us. The man bussing the table was much more attentive than our waiter. I feel bad that I had to give a poor review because the food really was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been several times. Never let's me down.ramillerDined on 11/14/2014Fantastic food, great atmosphere. Lively enough to be a cool spot, but not so noisy you can't hear your friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but loud ambianceToddDined on 11/13/2014Overall a nice experience except that it is WAY TOO loud which took away some our time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great go-to place just off Millennium Park.kathyshamVIPDined on 11/12/2014I have always loved The Gage. Celebrated birthdays, gathered with friends, and dined here often - it's a solid, fun, attractive restaurant with a great location. The food has a strong farm-to-table bent, with hearty dishes (pork porterhouse, scotch eggs, house sausages, etc). The bar always has interesting drinks and keeps at least one cider on tap (points from me!). The only negatives I can find are that it can be loud (it's always busy and has a popular bar area) and that the wine by the glass list was kind of limited (no Shiraz, no merlot, a Sangiovese was the closest they could get, so my husband went Vandermill Totally Toasted instead - no biggie). Always a great pic for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just your typical fareMWeirmanDined on 11/10/2014Wonderful food selection. Something for every taste.Special Features:
- Good LocationBiBiTiTiVIPDined on 11/10/2014If you are visiting Millennium Park and the Loop, this is a perfect spot. it's right on Michigan Ave. Nothing fancy but the food was solid.Special Features:
- Venison burgers are TDFlaquintaladiesDined on 11/9/2014We cannot say enough about the venison burgers on the menu. They are SO good!!! And the wines by the glass are very generous and go well with the food. Though the place is a bit noisy, we really enjoyed this meal - it was the best lunch we had in Chicago!Special Features:
- Wowza! What a Meal!replayDined on 11/8/2014We had a fabulous meal at The Gage -- great from start to finish. Great upscale Chicago vibe --- a bit loud but we could still talk. Michael, our server, provided flawless service. I had the whole Idaho rainbow trout which was a huge success, accompanied by a tasty sauvignon blanc. Dessert was a shared and oh-so-good sweet potato bread pudding. All of us thought it was the best meal we had in Chicago. Afterward, we walked over to Navy Pier to see King Lear at the Shakespeare Theatre --- needed to burn off a few of those calories. The next night, we went to The Gage's new sister restaurant, Acanto, and also enjoyed dinner there --- terrific pasta.Special Features:
- After the Art Institute..ChicagoStacation2014Dined on 11/8/2014Location was ideal. We were seated almost immediately upon arrival. Food was great! Waitstaff was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place...Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal. Our server was excellent and the atmosphere was great! I was very pleased to get right in and seated having made our reservation through this website! It was very busy but we got right in! I will use this again and we will return to The Gage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodLuigiVIPDined on 11/7/2014Having enjoyed lunch at Gage, next step was to try dinner. Menu was eclectic but all four in the party thought that the selection was good and that what they had ordered was very good. Wine list interesting and generally reasonably priced. Service was excellent - from the actual delivery of the food, to unpressured selection from the wine list to infinite patience in taking a photo of the group. High level of energy and excellent espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but livelyThehedonistDined on 11/6/2014The Gage has the feel of an upscale neighborhood bar and restaurant; a place you return to regularly. The food and service are excellent. The poutine is the best. The location on Michigan Avenue, directly across from Millennium Park, makes it ideal for late dinners after the theater. However, the crowd is lively and raucous, so if you're looking for quiet or romantic, this may not be the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedWinedudeVIPDined on 11/6/2014Food mostly tasteless, some items over cooked. Service was very good. Extremely loud bar made the dining room a difficult place to chat. Don't understand the current high rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GageauntdodahDined on 11/6/2014Our experience was fantastic. Even though we were late due to traffic and a limo driver not familiar with Chicago the staff was more than accommodating. Food was great, service fast and the desserts to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant impeccable serviceshaneVIPDined on 11/3/2014Chose this spot to show an out of town business associate what Chicago has to offer and The Gage delivered with great food and excellent service. The presentation and quality of the food is top notch. When our server discovered our interest in wine he made a special effort with recommendations and had us try a few extra samples here and there which really made the evening. The only blight was our welcome. Our table was not ready on arrival and the hostess was snooty when asked about it. The bar service is not good with long waits to get drinks and is very loud. It is not possible to transfer drinks to your table and settling the check took a very long time indeed. Although this was soon forgotten that's the only reason this wasn't 5/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KudosLeslieVIPDined on 11/3/2014A college friend came to town on short notice and we found ourselves a the Gage for dinner. It was the perfect choice! The exquisite food and wine were made all the more enjoyable by our fantastic server and the manager of the restaurant, Dennis Bruno. Thank you!Special Features:
- Consistent, Energeticd8nvnDined on 11/1/2014With an energetic if not challenging bar scene The Gage offers excellent food and quick service. This is informal dining at its best. Eat drink and recharge just don't expect a seat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WendellVIPDined on 10/27/2014Interesting menu with a variety of entrees. Great place for a burger or dinner.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDougFairbanksDined on 10/25/2014I took a customer here for brunch and we had a great experience. The food was great. I may have had one of the best scones I have ever had there. The lobster roll was very good as well.Special Features:
- Friday night at The GageMmkrDined on 10/24/2014Excellent service including a special seating request. Excellent service at check-in. Food very, very good - excellent depending on what you like & the course. Service attentive & friendly. Casual dress ok. Bar quite noisy. Request seating in back near fireplace - still noisy but not too bad there - could carry on a conversation. Definitely would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location. Service. Menu.MomSaysVIPDined on 10/24/2014Being near so many cultural & business spots, they have a little gold mine here but don't ignore the need to keep people coming back, and we do. There's good variety on a well-edited menu and though it can feel hectic, they get you out on time for your event. I like the smaller plates that are more than apps, less than full mains. The side of charred peppers were gobbled up by our whole table. It's nice to have a little surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Our server Ryan was particularly good. He recommended the butternut squash - scallop soup and it was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but goodtomdunesDined on 10/24/2014Happy, noisy, long lines at lunch, attentive serrviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid Meal ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014Everything was good, service was good and the Carrot Cake Donut and Makers Mark Milkshake was out of this world! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great food and attentive serviceHossamDined on 10/23/2014I have been here several times for brunch and one time only for lunch. Their menu is not very extensive, yet delicious. The service is great! It is particularly nice to eat in their outdoors area when the weather is warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014Absolutely fabulous--from the first bite of bread with salted butter to the last sip of cappuccino. Terrific menu. Every bite was interesting and stunningly delicious. Our only regret was that we couldn't return the next night and try some other wonders. Bravo!!! Oh, the cosmo was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Steady as she goes...MelvinVIPDined on 10/22/2014Consistent excellence! Never had less than an outstanding experience...Special Features:
- The Gage is GreatLoveslunchDined on 10/22/2014Another superb lunch at the Gage! Great food and service. The food can be pricey, but I had the cup of soup and half sandwich which is of very moderate cost.....The soup of the day was fabulous, turnip with pear, which I hope they continue to serve, and I had it with the delicious woodland mushroom sandwich which is a meal in itself...The day we were there, the owner came by to chat and was very friendly and responsive to us. He even made a reservation on the spot for us at the restaurant next door which he also owns and later sent over a complementary dessert of peanut butter pie.. Attended Dane Myra Hess concert at the nearby Cultural Center, and will be very happy to do the same outing again...just perfect combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationSusanDined on 10/21/2014Have been to the Gage on numerous occasions and always find the food and service to be very good. However, I usually sit away from the bar and this time was in the bar area and found it extremely loud. It was hard to have a conversation with the person across from me without speaking VERY loudly. Will certainly return, but will request a table toward the back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great night outAustinDined on 10/21/2014Had dinner there with the wife before our evening at the symphony. Arrived early for our reservation and was seated promptly which was excellent. Food was great along with the ambiance. Price was high but you pay for great food, service, and ambiance so it was well worth it.Special Features:
- wonderful lunch, as alwaysMamaTemboVIPDined on 10/21/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for a nice lunch with great service and pleasant ambiance. The smoked salmon BLT is so yummy and no one else serves it, to my knowledge. A cup of cream of parsnip and pear soup, half a sandwich and excellent fries - perfectSpecial Features:
- A Chicago GemEatOutNowVIPDined on 10/20/2014The Gage is always a good choice. Food and service is consistently excellent and the vibe is always lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but good foodAliceDined on 10/20/2014we were surprised by the noise level. Also our table was very poorly lit (had to use flashlight to read menu). Still my duck was wonderful and my husband enjoyed his fish. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.