24 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegagechicago.com/
- Phone: 3123724243
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Madison
- Public Transit: The Brown, Purple, Green, Orange and Pink Lines drop you off at Madison St. and Wabash St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant). The Red Line drops you off at Monroe St. and State St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant. The 3, 4, X4, 14, 26, 127, 145, 147, 148, and 151 bus routes all stop within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is offered by The University Club at 76 E. Monroe. In addition, there are several parking lots located just steps from the restaurant. The closest lot is the Grant Park Garage which can be accessed from Michigan Avenue. The elevator/escalator at the South end of the garage is located directly in front of the restaurant's entrance.
A word from The Gage
The Gage is a 3-star rated restaurant located across from Millennium Park in a historically landmarked building built in the late 1800s. The Gage offers upscale, yet casual dining in a vintage atmosphere inspired by the gastropubs of Ireland and England. Time Out has said The Gage's menu "covers every craving" and includes Scotch eggs, fresh seafood, locally made sausages, burgers, steaks, salads and Guinness-battered fish and chips. The Libations list features craft beers, interesting wines and a selection of Irish whiskeys and single malts. Open for dinner at 4 everyday, The Gage is also open for lunch at 11 and brunch Saturday and Sunday at 10. The Gage offers the perfect setting for a casual drink, a business meeting or a formal event--refined rusticity--steps from MillenniumContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gage reviews from OpenTable diners
462 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (241)great for lunch (191)vibrant bar scene (175)hot spot (155)neighborhood gem (123)great for outdoor dining (115)good for groups (112)great for brunch (86)special occasion (86)notable wine list (54)scenic view (49)late-night find (46)romantic (41)kid-friendly (25)Show More
- we always had water but at a priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014The tables are so close together that the bus boy knocked into me every time he passed by...even after I said something to the manager. We also got to hear the entire conversation next to us which was really uncomfortable. Would not recommend.
- Great location and foodintofoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Well-prepared dishes combined with excellent service characterized this perfectly located casual restaurant for visitors of the Art Institute or Chicago Symphony. Top notch coffee and hash browns make for a perfect brunch at a very reasonable price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and crowded . . .TheBunsterDined on 10/17/2014almost impossible to maintain a conversation at a 2 top . . . I thought the food was just fair - club sandwich wasn't any better than a Corner Bakery . . . in fact, Corner Bakery is better . . . French fries were terrific but so are McDonald's . . .Special Features:
- Two Nights In a Rowvir2ul1Dined on 10/16/2014When you go back two nights in a row, that says something. We were attending two shows in the area so it was convenient. But it was the food that brought us back. First night snapper and duck, both excellent. We noticed some mouth-watering cheeseburgers being served next to us, so that's what we ordered the following night. Very good by-the-glass wine selections too. I have to comment on the excellent service as well: smart servers who offered thoughtful recommendations and tended to our needs quickly.
- Such a great dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014Gage is a wonderful gastro pub! I was looking for a Chicago hot spot for my husband and I to take clients for dinner. When we walked in they saw that it was a scene and I could tell that they weren't expecting. To be wowed. But we all were! The food was fabulous ...a great menu with lots of interesting exciting possibilities. Our server and his team were so professional spot on and interesting to talk to. I asked for aore quiet table and they seated us in an oversized banquet. I will definitely be goingb back and telling all my friends to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afraid this would be the besttjkdmkVIPDined on 10/15/2014We are on a trip to eight different cities, and my only fear is that this might be the best we are going to experience.....that is how good it was. We had the pork and peanut butter silk pie and they were sooooooooo excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a bit noisy for us.GaryCoVIPDined on 10/14/2014This restaurant caters to a very noisy clientele especially near the bar. We loved the rib eye and the fish entrees. The wine, Heitz Cellars Cab was delicious. However, we booked the reservation a month in advance and requested a quiet table. When we arrived, they tried to seat us near the bar and then near the kitchen. There were quiet tables avaialble but they told us they were booked. It is hard to believe that these tables were booked before our reswervation. This was very annoying but we sat down and tried to ignore the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an energetic vibeLyssDined on 10/11/2014Gage has a great vibe from the moment you enter. The up front bar has several wide screens featuring sports games of the day. The backlights of the bar change color, adding visual warmth. The service was excellent, our waiter friendly and attentive, our water glasses always full. Had a bottle of "hipster Bordeaux", drank great. Burgers were delicious, red snapper yummy and the green beans were tasty. While it's not a romantic spot, it's a fun place with great staff, happy upscale atmosphere in a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, delicious food!weekendgetawayDined on 10/11/2014LOVED THIS PLACE!!! Fresh ingredients definitely enhanced the flavors of the food. I had the pork - hugh piece of meat, cooked perfectly, not too fatty, delicious honey glaze on top... served over roasted apples and sweet potatoes. Such wonderful fall flavors that mesh so well together! Hubby had the prosciutto wrapped trout stuffed with turnips and kale... he did not stop raving about his meal for two days after! Dessert was an interesting combination (blueberries and corn) but we decided to trust the chef's creation based on our delicious meals - and we were not disappointed! And pretty reasonably priced too! Would love to try their sister restaurant next door some time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brunch!RisaDined on 10/11/2014We had a reservation for brunch on Saturday morning and it was such a treat! The service was good, the food was AMAZING, and the location is so convenient. I'd never been here for brunch before but what a gem!Special Features:
- good food, poor serviceMuffin34VIPDined on 10/11/2014We arrived about 5 mins before they opened yet waited until 15 mins after they opened before the 3 people at the hostess desk could get there act together for 4 groups with reservations. Even our waitress couldn't bring our drinks until after our food was brought to us. So don't expect good service. However; the food was flavorful and would consider going back just got the food when I'm not in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic I!Lsn2dadDined on 10/8/2014First time. Saw an old friend. Great food and spirits. Highly recommend!😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014We sat by the kitchen, it was too loud to conduct business. Probably not go back if on business due to noise level. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect impressive lunch!GMarieDined on 10/7/2014I took a friend out to lunch and we had so many beautiful things - the egg & sausage, the mussels, the salmon, fish and chips, and the cornbread and blueberries. Wes recommended the peanut butter dessert and it was amazing! Wes was incredible at recommendations and bringing interesting drinks and I would definitely come here again. It was really crowded at lunch and quite noisy, but it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for lunchcarolynleoDined on 10/7/2014We loved the restaurant and its food. It's very lively and filled with people at lunchtime. It's close to the Art Institute (5 minutes walk) so that makes it very convenient too. And of course, Millennium Park is right across the street from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory DeliciousnessjfaistDined on 10/7/2014The Gage always surprises and delights my taste buds! I recently had their sweet corn soup, which on its own was divine, but at the bottom of my soup cup was the most delicious, sweet and meaty lobster. The food preparation is outstanding and a lot of thought and care goes into the menu items, which is evident in the flavors and presentation. Even the cheeseburger meets gourmet standards. Their beer, cocktail and whisky selection is top notch as well. The Gage is a great place to take a date, for family/friend gatherings and celebrating anything. My guilty pleasure off of the starters menu: "PBR" battered fried pickles. Yum!Special Features:
- sandritaDined on 10/6/2014energetic and vibrant place, good food and service!!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentsharonFGreenDined on 10/6/2014Great food, excellent service!!! Centrally located. Gumbo was hearty and full of flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014I visited this restaurant with my wife on Saturday around 9pm. We had a reservation so were seated promptly. To start with the place is very energetic and loved it. Secondly the food is amazing. We had a selection of cheese for an appetizer and it was amazing. Came with 3 different types of cheese and seasoned nuts and cranberries. Oh forgot to mentioned, before all that they bring out butter and bread. I have never tasted so good butter. For Entree I went with Red Snapper. It was deeeeeelicious... came with grilled/bake grapes and olives and some sauce. .. wife had a regular burger. She said the burger could have been little better. Service was great. Will go back to this place.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Coming from Canada, the Gage was an AWESOME experience! Loved the atmosphere, the food and presentation was spectacular. A little more on the pricey side, but the experience was worth it. The Gage was a twist on classic dishes, little bit of french inflence mixed in there. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 10/3/2014Food was good, but tables are way to close together. I could hear more of the conversation from the tables either side of me than from across my table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinningBreadmanDined on 9/30/2014First time visit and we will go back. A little noisy in the front but we requested a table in back and it was fine. Food and service was good, no long delays despite a busy night.Special Features:
- Lived up to its glowing reviewsLuigiVIPDined on 9/30/2014A scotch egg- one of the UK's basic foods (check out Tesco, M & S, Sainsbury's, any pub) - a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat - can be an unforgiving appetizer - very, very easy to screw up - very difficult to do well. Gage does it very well, and in fact one of these with its wonderful mustard dressing could have sufficed for our complete lunch. The brie fondue was surprisingly good while the gumbo rivaled those from NOLA - and what a generous helping. Wine by the (250 ml) glass was reasonably priced and also good. Service was prompt and attentive and the dishes fresh and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noneVIPDined on 9/29/2014Sat outside, so noise level was moderate. It's always very noisy inside. Always a great selection of food items, and always very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchBigAlDined on 9/29/2014The venison burger was fantastic. Went there for lunch but would like to return to have some drinks at the bar before dinner or just for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014The front part of the restaurant was filled with tourists and Chicago Bears' fans and was pretty lively. Thankfully we were seated in the back section so we were somewhat insulated from all that. The Poutine is solid comfort-food and on the order each time we visit. Other entree items were carefully done.Special Features:
- Disapointedhegawn2Dined on 9/27/2014Have been before and never dissatisfied, except for this time. The trout dish was fishy and salty, uneatable and had to get something else. The Venison Schnitzel was a good idea but was tough. Service was great, attentive and understanding.Special Features:
- OktoberfestsloanflynnDined on 9/23/2014Great seasonal menu and great service. Loved the twist on the traditional chicken & dumplings.Special Features:
- Perfect & ReliableSamLDined on 9/22/2014My boyfriend wanted to dress up and do a "fancy" dinner for his birthday, but specified that the place had to have a good beer selection. So quickly booked at The Gage. The dining crowd is a good mix of happy hour, suits getting off of work, business dinners, and couples who have theater tickets nearby. Manages to keep most of the casual crowd near the bar and the diners in the back creating two distinct atmospheres in one restaurant. Can't complain about anything. My boyfriend bragged to the waitress that it was his birthday and we ended up getting a dessert on the house. Very nice touch.Special Features:
- Successful Business DinnersTravelerDined on 9/21/2014I had two business dinners in two days and the first was so enjoyable that I went back to The Gage for the second. It is a little loud, but we had a booth which helped tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere/Disappointing FoodclchicagoDined on 9/21/2014The atmosphere and service at the Gage were great but the food was kind of disappointing -- especially for the price. My beet salad was delicious but my entree (chicken & dumplings) was bland and cold when it arrived. I have friends who really love the place, so I will probably give it another try for a beer and a burger.
- GeneralOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Very disappointed in being placed by door with reservations asked for something different; cold and noisy
- Go back at Gage if you are blackCaseyCDined on 9/21/2014We were seated in 3 different booth, first 2 no lights to hide the bi-racial blackness of one of our skins. I am ashamed to be of Irish heritage. Dark corners are for dark skinned people at The Gage.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed our lunch as it was very tasty!the salad was especially flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BurgerNaplesNativeVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went for a casual Sunday evening - sat outside, good people watching, well made martinis, delicious burger and lamb chops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the GageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014We love the Gage. We are so happy we found it several years ago. We try to go there whenever we're in Chicago. Never tire of it!Special Features:
- poor servicebnelsenDined on 9/21/201410 minute wait at table before a server came to ask if we wanted coffee or tea and the bad service just continued. Though pleasant, the server did not bring out the entire order and had to be asked where some of it was. We sat with dirty plates once done for a long time and had to ask for them to be removed. Each time there was an excuse (oh, I though t someone else would bring that to you) rather than an apology. Food however, was excellent.Special Features:
- Very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We were there on a busy Saturday night. We were originally seated upfront, which was understandably a little loud. My mom wanted to move, but again it was very busy so we didn't initially think that was possible. But they went out of their way to accommodate us despite the crowd. The booth in the back was perfect for a long, chatty dinner. The scallop starter and poutine were awesome. The elk was great. The pot au creme was divine, as was the peanut butter pie. My mom does not abide the drink, so I was not able to sample their large wine/drink menu. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Atmosphere, Good FoodsteakloverDined on 9/20/2014My dining experience at The Gage was pleasant and memorable. Had an initial bad experience with the person that seated us. We had reservations, once we arrived we requested a booth. He took us directly to the back by the kitchen. It was too hot back there and I said I did not mind waiting longer until another booth, or table, became available near the front. He immediately got an attitude and his response was unpleasant. Once we got past that and given another seating, everything took off. Our waitress was EXCELLENT. Food was delicious. The manager came to check on us to see if we were enjoying ourselves. He was extremely kind and attentive. The rest of the evening made up for the bad beginning. I recommend The Gage and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the rageaficionadoDined on 9/20/2014Great food and good ambiance. When I go to the Art Institute, this is my pick for lunch. Did not have any disappointing experience with this place yet. On the contrary - it is always great to dine here.Special Features: