24 South Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegagechicago.com/
- Phone: 3123724243
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Madison
- Public Transit: The Brown, Purple, Green, Orange and Pink Lines drop you off at Madison St. and Wabash St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant). The Red Line drops you off at Monroe St. and State St. (just a few blocks from the restaurant. The 3, 4, X4, 14, 26, 127, 145, 147, 148, and 151 bus routes all stop within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is offered by The University Club at 76 E. Monroe. In addition, there are several parking lots located just steps from the restaurant. The closest lot is the Grant Park Garage which can be accessed from Michigan Avenue. The elevator/escalator at the South end of the garage is located directly in front of the restaurant's entrance.
A word from The Gage
The Gage is a 3-star rated restaurant located across from Millennium Park in a historically landmarked building built in the late 1800s. The Gage offers upscale, yet casual dining in a vintage atmosphere inspired by the gastropubs of Ireland and England. Time Out has said The Gage's menu "covers every craving" and includes Scotch eggs, fresh seafood, locally made sausages, burgers, steaks, salads and Guinness-battered fish and chips. The Libations list features craft beers, interesting wines and a selection of Irish whiskeys and single malts. Open for dinner at 4 everyday, The Gage is also open for lunch at 11 and brunch Saturday and Sunday at 10. The Gage offers the perfect setting for a casual drink, a business meeting or a formal event--refined rusticity--steps from MillenniumContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gage reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (254)great for lunch (192)vibrant bar scene (187)hot spot (165)neighborhood gem (129)great for outdoor dining (121)good for groups (112)great for brunch (93)special occasion (89)notable wine list (59)late-night find (49)scenic view (45)romantic (42)kid-friendly (24)Show More
- WendellVIPDined on 10/27/2014Interesting menu with a variety of entrees. Great place for a burger or dinner.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDougFairbanksDined on 10/25/2014I took a customer here for brunch and we had a great experience. The food was great. I may have had one of the best scones I have ever had there. The lobster roll was very good as well.Special Features:
- Friday night at The GageMmkrDined on 10/24/2014Excellent service including a special seating request. Excellent service at check-in. Food very, very good - excellent depending on what you like & the course. Service attentive & friendly. Casual dress ok. Bar quite noisy. Request seating in back near fireplace - still noisy but not too bad there - could carry on a conversation. Definitely would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location. Service. Menu.MomSaysVIPDined on 10/24/2014Being near so many cultural & business spots, they have a little gold mine here but don't ignore the need to keep people coming back, and we do. There's good variety on a well-edited menu and though it can feel hectic, they get you out on time for your event. I like the smaller plates that are more than apps, less than full mains. The side of charred peppers were gobbled up by our whole table. It's nice to have a little surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Our server Ryan was particularly good. He recommended the butternut squash - scallop soup and it was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but goodtomdunesDined on 10/24/2014Happy, noisy, long lines at lunch, attentive serrviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid Meal ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014Everything was good, service was good and the Carrot Cake Donut and Makers Mark Milkshake was out of this world! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great food and attentive serviceHossamDined on 10/23/2014I have been here several times for brunch and one time only for lunch. Their menu is not very extensive, yet delicious. The service is great! It is particularly nice to eat in their outdoors area when the weather is warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014Absolutely fabulous--from the first bite of bread with salted butter to the last sip of cappuccino. Terrific menu. Every bite was interesting and stunningly delicious. Our only regret was that we couldn't return the next night and try some other wonders. Bravo!!! Oh, the cosmo was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Steady as she goes...MelvinVIPDined on 10/22/2014Consistent excellence! Never had less than an outstanding experience...Special Features:
- The Gage is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014Another superb lunch at the Gage! Great food and service. The food can be pricey, but I had the cup of soup and half sandwich which is of very moderate cost.....The soup of the day was fabulous, turnip with pear, which I hope they continue to serve, and I had it with the delicious woodland mushroom sandwich which is a meal in itself...The day we were there, the owner came by to chat and was very friendly and responsive to us. He even made a reservation on the spot for us at the restaurant next door which he also owns and later sent over a complementary dessert of peanut butter pie.. Attended Dane Myra Hess concert at the nearby Cultural Center, and will be very happy to do the same outing again...just perfect combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationSusanDined on 10/21/2014Have been to the Gage on numerous occasions and always find the food and service to be very good. However, I usually sit away from the bar and this time was in the bar area and found it extremely loud. It was hard to have a conversation with the person across from me without speaking VERY loudly. Will certainly return, but will request a table toward the back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great night outAustinDined on 10/21/2014Had dinner there with the wife before our evening at the symphony. Arrived early for our reservation and was seated promptly which was excellent. Food was great along with the ambiance. Price was high but you pay for great food, service, and ambiance so it was well worth it.Special Features:
- wonderful lunch, as alwaysMamaTemboVIPDined on 10/21/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for a nice lunch with great service and pleasant ambiance. The smoked salmon BLT is so yummy and no one else serves it, to my knowledge. A cup of cream of parsnip and pear soup, half a sandwich and excellent fries - perfectSpecial Features:
- A Chicago GemEatOutNowVIPDined on 10/20/2014The Gage is always a good choice. Food and service is consistently excellent and the vibe is always lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but good foodAliceDined on 10/20/2014we were surprised by the noise level. Also our table was very poorly lit (had to use flashlight to read menu). Still my duck was wonderful and my husband enjoyed his fish. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burgersSusanmareiDined on 10/19/2014The Gage has one of the best burgers in the city. We split an order of green beans as an appetizer and they were some of the best I've ever had - cooked to exactly the right texture with a great grilled flavor. The perfect post theater dinner!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank YouChidi20VIPDined on 10/19/2014We took our out of town guests which included a 12 year old girl. When we arrived I mentioned how bad the service was on Opening Day for the Bears game and said we were going to the game and hoped we would have better service. They were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we always had water but at a priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014The tables are so close together that the bus boy knocked into me every time he passed by...even after I said something to the manager. We also got to hear the entire conversation next to us which was really uncomfortable. Would not recommend.
- Great location and foodintofoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Well-prepared dishes combined with excellent service characterized this perfectly located casual restaurant for visitors of the Art Institute or Chicago Symphony. Top notch coffee and hash browns make for a perfect brunch at a very reasonable price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and crowded . . .TheBunsterDined on 10/17/2014almost impossible to maintain a conversation at a 2 top . . . I thought the food was just fair - club sandwich wasn't any better than a Corner Bakery . . . in fact, Corner Bakery is better . . . French fries were terrific but so are McDonald's . . .Special Features:
- Two Nights In a Rowvir2ul1Dined on 10/16/2014When you go back two nights in a row, that says something. We were attending two shows in the area so it was convenient. But it was the food that brought us back. First night snapper and duck, both excellent. We noticed some mouth-watering cheeseburgers being served next to us, so that's what we ordered the following night. Very good by-the-glass wine selections too. I have to comment on the excellent service as well: smart servers who offered thoughtful recommendations and tended to our needs quickly.
- Such a great dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014Gage is a wonderful gastro pub! I was looking for a Chicago hot spot for my husband and I to take clients for dinner. When we walked in they saw that it was a scene and I could tell that they weren't expecting. To be wowed. But we all were! The food was fabulous ...a great menu with lots of interesting exciting possibilities. Our server and his team were so professional spot on and interesting to talk to. I asked for aore quiet table and they seated us in an oversized banquet. I will definitely be goingb back and telling all my friends to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afraid this would be the besttjkdmkVIPDined on 10/15/2014We are on a trip to eight different cities, and my only fear is that this might be the best we are going to experience.....that is how good it was. We had the pork and peanut butter silk pie and they were sooooooooo excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a bit noisy for us.GaryCoVIPDined on 10/14/2014This restaurant caters to a very noisy clientele especially near the bar. We loved the rib eye and the fish entrees. The wine, Heitz Cellars Cab was delicious. However, we booked the reservation a month in advance and requested a quiet table. When we arrived, they tried to seat us near the bar and then near the kitchen. There were quiet tables avaialble but they told us they were booked. It is hard to believe that these tables were booked before our reswervation. This was very annoying but we sat down and tried to ignore the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an energetic vibeLyssDined on 10/11/2014Gage has a great vibe from the moment you enter. The up front bar has several wide screens featuring sports games of the day. The backlights of the bar change color, adding visual warmth. The service was excellent, our waiter friendly and attentive, our water glasses always full. Had a bottle of "hipster Bordeaux", drank great. Burgers were delicious, red snapper yummy and the green beans were tasty. While it's not a romantic spot, it's a fun place with great staff, happy upscale atmosphere in a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, delicious food!weekendgetawayDined on 10/11/2014LOVED THIS PLACE!!! Fresh ingredients definitely enhanced the flavors of the food. I had the pork - hugh piece of meat, cooked perfectly, not too fatty, delicious honey glaze on top... served over roasted apples and sweet potatoes. Such wonderful fall flavors that mesh so well together! Hubby had the prosciutto wrapped trout stuffed with turnips and kale... he did not stop raving about his meal for two days after! Dessert was an interesting combination (blueberries and corn) but we decided to trust the chef's creation based on our delicious meals - and we were not disappointed! And pretty reasonably priced too! Would love to try their sister restaurant next door some time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Brunch!RisaDined on 10/11/2014We had a reservation for brunch on Saturday morning and it was such a treat! The service was good, the food was AMAZING, and the location is so convenient. I'd never been here for brunch before but what a gem!Special Features:
- good food, poor serviceMuffin34VIPDined on 10/11/2014We arrived about 5 mins before they opened yet waited until 15 mins after they opened before the 3 people at the hostess desk could get there act together for 4 groups with reservations. Even our waitress couldn't bring our drinks until after our food was brought to us. So don't expect good service. However; the food was flavorful and would consider going back just got the food when I'm not in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic I!Lsn2dadDined on 10/8/2014First time. Saw an old friend. Great food and spirits. Highly recommend!😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014We sat by the kitchen, it was too loud to conduct business. Probably not go back if on business due to noise level. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect impressive lunch!GMarieDined on 10/7/2014I took a friend out to lunch and we had so many beautiful things - the egg & sausage, the mussels, the salmon, fish and chips, and the cornbread and blueberries. Wes recommended the peanut butter dessert and it was amazing! Wes was incredible at recommendations and bringing interesting drinks and I would definitely come here again. It was really crowded at lunch and quite noisy, but it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for lunchcarolynleoDined on 10/7/2014We loved the restaurant and its food. It's very lively and filled with people at lunchtime. It's close to the Art Institute (5 minutes walk) so that makes it very convenient too. And of course, Millennium Park is right across the street from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory DeliciousnessjfaistDined on 10/7/2014The Gage always surprises and delights my taste buds! I recently had their sweet corn soup, which on its own was divine, but at the bottom of my soup cup was the most delicious, sweet and meaty lobster. The food preparation is outstanding and a lot of thought and care goes into the menu items, which is evident in the flavors and presentation. Even the cheeseburger meets gourmet standards. Their beer, cocktail and whisky selection is top notch as well. The Gage is a great place to take a date, for family/friend gatherings and celebrating anything. My guilty pleasure off of the starters menu: "PBR" battered fried pickles. Yum!Special Features:
- sandritaDined on 10/6/2014energetic and vibrant place, good food and service!!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentsharonFGreenDined on 10/6/2014Great food, excellent service!!! Centrally located. Gumbo was hearty and full of flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014I visited this restaurant with my wife on Saturday around 9pm. We had a reservation so were seated promptly. To start with the place is very energetic and loved it. Secondly the food is amazing. We had a selection of cheese for an appetizer and it was amazing. Came with 3 different types of cheese and seasoned nuts and cranberries. Oh forgot to mentioned, before all that they bring out butter and bread. I have never tasted so good butter. For Entree I went with Red Snapper. It was deeeeeelicious... came with grilled/bake grapes and olives and some sauce. .. wife had a regular burger. She said the burger could have been little better. Service was great. Will go back to this place.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2014Coming from Canada, the Gage was an AWESOME experience! Loved the atmosphere, the food and presentation was spectacular. A little more on the pricey side, but the experience was worth it. The Gage was a twist on classic dishes, little bit of french inflence mixed in there. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 10/3/2014Food was good, but tables are way to close together. I could hear more of the conversation from the tables either side of me than from across my table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KC1968VIPDined on 10/3/2014A little on the loud side but the food and service were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.