The Gables at Chadds Ford
423 Baltimore Pike
Chadds Ford, PA 19317Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Gables at Chadds Ford
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegablesatchaddsford.com/
- Phone: 6103887700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Shawn Connors
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano in the bar every Friday and Saturday!
- Special Events: We have a beautiful banquet room that holds up to 120 people. Please contact our banquet manager Adelle, or assistant banquet manager Marianne for more details.
A word from The Gables at Chadds Ford
The Gables at Chadds Ford, established in 1997, is situated in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Located in a converted 1800's dairy barn, the setting is simple yet elegant. The menu offers a contemporary twist on traditional American cuisine, utilizing French influences. The Gables at Chadds Ford combines an upbeat and comfortable ambiance with a creative and well executed menu. The result is one you will want to keep a secret,Continued
but you will not be able to resist sharing with a friend.
but you will not be able to resist sharing with a friend.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Gables at Chadds Ford - Best Restaurants in Chadds Ford ›
The Gables at Chadds Ford reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (30)romantic (27)great for lunch (22)good for groups (17)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (11)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Waiter wqas very good as was the service. Entree pricing is very high for amount of food received.
- Attentive staffJuliereviewDined on 10/4/2014We went out for a special evening to celebrate my husband's birthday. I asked to be seated on their outdoor patio but soon found small children screaming and generally misbehaving around out table though their table was clear across the patio. We asked to move and the staff whisked us away to a more secluded spot. Food and service was excellent. Unfortunately, we were subjected to inconsiderate diners. We will be back again, because we know they went out of their way to make things right.Special Features:
- Dessert missed the markDatenightdinnersDined on 10/3/2014Found this restaurant while searching for a nice place to take my parents on their last night in town. Great menu options and cute place walking up. Waitress was outstanding! Our salads and entrees were outstanding! All were well presented and executed well with great flavor. Problems that we saw... There was an upstairs event and I really wish that places would regulate the bass or volume of these events. Next, there were several small moths in our area due to a draft. Finally, dessert was so disappointing compared to the other food. Creme brulee was over cooked and cherry crisp was most certainly canned or processed cherries. We'd all go back for the food, just not order dessert and pick a table away from the patio door.Special Features:
- Great findLauraVIPDined on 10/2/2014I came here with a friend because another place we planned to go was closed for a private party. I'd never been, and was pleasantly surprised by the decor and menu. Food was very good; only unfortunate incident was that the ingredients in the burger weren't clear. There was bourbon soaked sun dried tomatoes which sound great, unless you're allergic to alcohol, as I am. The staff quickly produced a burger that I could eat, but not until I took an unfortunate bite. The revisited burger was quite good. I was looking forward to BLT slaw, whatever that was, but never found out. My friend's poutine was outstanding. A little strange that there was only one other diner in the restaurant at that same time.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceCrownJewelDined on 9/28/2014We were a party of 4. Sat outside for Sunday Brunch. Beautiful weather. The food was very good. I would have given a rating of 5, but because the rolls were cold and our server could have been more attentive for a lovely restaurant like this, I rated a 4. Would come back for a dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service.DavidkVIPDined on 9/26/2014The parking lot was overflowing at 6:30 pm. Our reservation was ready at the time of our arrival. There was a wedding reception on the 2nd floor and a wedding rehearsal dinner in the 1st floor garden room. Despite all the activity we received stellar service from our server Erica. She was charming and attentive. The food was excellent. This certainly is a well run venue.Special Features:
- Love that patio!AnnieBVIPDined on 9/20/2014We love to have lunch or dinner on the patio when the weather is good. Saturday the weather was just perfect. And so was the service and the meal. We had been away for several weeks, and it was so good to get back to one of our absolute favorites in the area.Special Features:
- Gables always deliversLaurieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The Gables is a very attracrive space with piano player and very good food. Our waiter, Phillip, was attentive and knowledgable, and my husband's scallops were the perfect blend of flavors Phillip had described. My shrimp and grits were not as good as usual...grits a bit runny, or there would be another star for food.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Chef Matt is Awesome! Great flavors from a seasonally changing menu. Service was outstanding! Can not wait for the Fall menu options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiance.rozcozDined on 9/13/2014First time there. Went for dinner with two friends. Very nice ambiance. Interesting menu. Ordered from the pre fixe restaurant menu. Everything was delicious. Lamb lollipops outstanding. Nice piano music in the bar but could not really hear it in the dining room because of the noise level. Only complaint -- the chairs are uncomfortable. Still we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentDaveDined on 9/12/2014After having passed the Gables many times and reading some very fine reviews on Open Table we decided to try during Brandywine Restaurant Week. We opted for eating inside as it was a bit chilly outside. Big mistake! There were only 4 tables filled inside while everyone else went straight outside. Obviously regulars who knew better. They were having some type of reception upstairs and with a totally open staircase we could barely carry on a conversation in the dining room. We ordered drinks – one served in a glass with a large chip out of the rim and the other a glass of wine that was spoiled. The food was uneven. One appetizer and one entree were decent – the others sub-par. Nothing was spectacular. No reason for us to go back.
- JTCTDined on 9/12/2014Everything was excellent would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brandywine GemAllanNanceVIPDined on 9/10/2014Our second visit to the Gables at Chads Ford and again it was a charming place for dinner. We had a great meal and enjoyed the old building it is in and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Brandywine Restaurant WeekfuntableDined on 9/9/2014We were very disappointed with the meal and the service we received at the Gables at Chadds Ford during Brandywine Restaurant Week. Our waiter was polite, but inexperienced and unable to answer our questions about the menu selections. We ordered from the fixed price menu that had been advertised for Brandywine Restaurant Week. The portions were very meager, served on dessert-size plates, and completely unappetizing. The scallop entree had exactly two scallops and a scoop of rice on the plate; the chicken entree was a rolled-up, dried out chicken breast that appeared to be leftover banquet food. When it was time to order dessert, the waiter informed us that all three of the dessert selections on the fixed price menu had been sold out.
- Not what I expectedLyndseyBVIPDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant had been on my list to try for a while. We visited during Brandywine Valley Restaurant Week. We arrived at the end of the lunch hour, were warmly welcomed by the hostess and seated in the rustic, but elegant dining room. Our server greeted us promptly, but we still needed a moment to look over the menu. Big mistake. After that we had a difficult time getting our server to return to take our order all the way through to getting our check. The food was underwhelming. The Mushroom soup was flavorful, but not as good as other local mushroom soups. The Pulled Pork sandwich tasted okay but was difficult to eat due to how it was served in the roll. The watermelon salad was the winner of the meal.
- quiet and relaxing dinningmetman4uDined on 9/7/2014Sunday night was quiet and relaxing with wide menu selection well prepared and served. Could have been a slow night for the restaurant , but service , food and outdoor dinning was very good.Special Features:
- We would go backluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014The food was kind of hit or miss. Sea scallops were excellent but accompanying veggies were undercooked. Salmon was overcooked as were accompanying vegetables. Spaetzle did not remotely come close to what it should be. Filet Mignon was very good for both guests who ordered that. It is really wonderful to have this restaurant in this area since there is really none of this stature close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuffyDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed our meal and the service was outstanding. I recommend highly to celebrate an occasion. We were celebrating our 61st wedding anniversary. I will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful new outdoor diningDianeVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a very relaxing meal, with good service and fabulous food! The new outdoor dining area is very pleasant. The Gables' rack of lamb is one of my favorites!Special Features:
- A shadow of its former self.TaraboyDined on 8/22/2014A disappointment from past years. "Stackers" manner of servicing food so passé. Truly unexceptional.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerDelcoDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've been here several times, usually for our anniversary. It's lovely on the patio--when there aren't the voices of children or the footsteps of them roaming around. Our server was very professional and pleasant. My wife had the watermelon salad, I the house salad. They both were quite good. My wife had the soft-shell crabs and enjoyed them. I had the salmon, also quite good. She had plain vanilla ice cream. I had the cherry crumble (?). It was delicious. Just a comment. We really don't understand why people bring small/young children to a restaurant with an average two-person check of around $150. We'll think carefully before we do it again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Not as good as it usually is. The chef must have had an off night.Special Features:
- Noisy outdoorsSoozDined on 7/31/2014Beautiful setting on vine covered patio ruined by constant road noise nearby. Food was average and not hot when served but would probably give them another chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted chicken = fantastic!EllenPBGDined on 7/27/2014The roasted chicken w/Brussels sprouts was fabulous. I rarely order chicken out, but this looked intriguing and it proved to be memorable. The waiter was terrific, especially when we had drinks and a cheese plate outdoors, then asked to be moved inside (bugs) after we ordered our entrees. No problem -- she told us to take our drinks and take any table. You can't ask for better service than that. It was our first time here, but we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We arrived for early dinner and they had a performer there. He was great and it set the mood setting just perfect.Special Features:
- Super supperOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I met my brothers and their wives for dinner on a Saturday. It was perfect; seated immediately and we enjoyed the piano. The server was very friendly and helpful. Even though there was a wedding and reception going on, neither the service nor our meals were interrupted. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AITRancocasViewsDined on 7/24/2014Weather was perfect for outside patio dining. Friendly waiter. Inside dining was cozy but dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014You need to put a larger sign out front or clear the view. We almost missed the entrance.Special Features:
- Never disappointsPrincipessaDined on 7/19/2014The food never disappoints. Absolutely love sitting on the patio during the summer and now they have the roof covered so you can be out there even when it rains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a few bumpsGKRKVIPDined on 7/17/2014The fried green tomatoes were very good as was the cheese plate. Our entrees were good, but not as good as the appetizers. The service was a little lax. We weren't ready with our wine selection when we ordered our meal and the server did not come back. Finally, we flagged down another server who got us our wine. I would, however, give it another try if I'm ever in the area again as overall it was pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindFoodNutDined on 7/17/2014I found this restaurant using the Open Table app. I wanted to find a local place to have lunch while passing through on the way home from a meeting. I enjoyed the historic atmosphere and the super firendly service upon arriving. The food was excellent. I highly recommend the mushroom soup and Gables salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, ambiance!KmmanDined on 7/12/2014This is a favorite of ours when we have guests in town and for special occasions. The chef sources locally for produce and dairy, always a wild fish on the menu, fabulous specials and lovely wine list. Great bar for reservation-less dining or apps and a burger- piano on weekends, and fireplace in the winter. Highly recommend - you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Lunch Near Longwood GardensEats4funDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our lunch here! We dined in the lovely courtyard and had a terrific waitress with excellent service. The mushroom soup was light and tasty. Both the crab cake sandwich and BLGs were exceptional. I look forward to coming back for brunch and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2014We have always liked the Gables in summer when the outside dining area is open. This area is still rustic and lush with stone walls and moving water, but has been modified with a high tent structure that appears to be permanent. Safety from rain showers is a nice thing for both diners and management, but it does reduce the outdoor feeling of the space. The Gables salad is unchanged with new ownership and remains very good. Shrimp and grits were hot, rich and tasty, an uncommon and appreciated entre. The sea bass was perfectly cooked. Deserts were sensible in size and appropriately sinful. Good coffee. Go! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Amazing findHeidiVIPDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic. The outdoor dining is phenomenal and the inside is just as charming. Food and service were SUPERB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShareVIPDined on 7/6/2014Charred Octopus and soft shell crab were both flavorful. The special which was pan seared scallops lacked flavor.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/5/2014We hadn't been to The Gables in awhile, but had a lovely meal on a very pleasant Saturday evening on their outdoor patio. Our scallops and blackened salmon entrees were nicely cooked, generous portions that we savored with a glass of wine. The beet caprese salad, however, with a mix of sliced beets and tomatoes, did not work well. In my opinion, it should be either or - standard caprese or beets with the mozarella, but not both together. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Nice surprise!SallieODined on 7/5/2014We took my mother to lunch at The Gables last weekend. Since we are from out-of-town we weren't familiar with restaurants in the area. We looked at the OpenTable reviews and decided to give The Gables a try. We're glad we did! The decor is charmingly barn/hip... tall wood and brick walls, metal chairs with vinyl cushions (very comfortable!). The covered patio outside looked great, too... wrought iron furniture, neat lighting above. It looked like a perfect place for a party. The food was really delicious, neat menu. And the wait staff was extremely accommodating (especially to my 85 year-old mom.) It's well worth driving down there again for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitCourt73Dined on 7/4/2014Our lunch at The Gables was very satisfying and pleasant, particularly since it was outside on their patio which is a welcome relief from the darkish indoors and the traffic on U.S. route 1. Our mushroom soup was outstanding with large mushrooms and great herbs. The main courses were substantial. My only criticism was that the delivery of the food took too long. There were only 3 other tables so it should have been a bit faster. However, it would not deter me from eating there again.Special Features:
- Great food & great soundsDWillHVIPDined on 6/29/2014Another great meal at the Gables was complimented by Michael Favinger's performance. What a talented singer and accomplished guitarists. It was a very enjoyable evening on the patio at The Gables. Can't wait for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.