The Gables at Chadds Ford
423 Baltimore Pike
Chadds Ford, PA 19317Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Gables at Chadds Ford
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegablesatchaddsford.com/
- Phone: 6103887700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Shawn Connors
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano in the bar every Friday and Saturday!
- Special Events: We have a beautiful banquet room that holds up to 120 people. Please contact our banquet manager Adelle, or assistant banquet manager Marianne for more details.
A word from The Gables at Chadds Ford
The Gables at Chadds Ford, established in 1997, is situated in the heart of the historic Brandywine Valley. Located in a converted 1800's dairy barn, the setting is simple yet elegant. The menu offers a contemporary twist on traditional American cuisine, utilizing French influences. The Gables at Chadds Ford combines an upbeat and comfortable ambiance with a creative and well executed menu. The result is one you will want to keep a secret,Continued
but you will not be able to resist sharing with a friend.
but you will not be able to resist sharing with a friend.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Gables at Chadds Ford reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (67)special occasion (46)fit for foodies (43)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (18)good for groups (16)notable wine list (8)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (1)Show More
- wonderful new outdoor diningDianeVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a very relaxing meal, with good service and fabulous food! The new outdoor dining area is very pleasant. The Gables' rack of lamb is one of my favorites!Special Features:
- A shadow of its former self.TaraboyDined on 8/22/2014A disappointment from past years. "Stackers" manner of servicing food so passé. Truly unexceptional.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerDelcoDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've been here several times, usually for our anniversary. It's lovely on the patio--when there aren't the voices of children or the footsteps of them roaming around. Our server was very professional and pleasant. My wife had the watermelon salad, I the house salad. They both were quite good. My wife had the soft-shell crabs and enjoyed them. I had the salmon, also quite good. She had plain vanilla ice cream. I had the cherry crumble (?). It was delicious. Just a comment. We really don't understand why people bring small/young children to a restaurant with an average two-person check of around $150. We'll think carefully before we do it again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Not as good as it usually is. The chef must have had an off night.Special Features:
- Noisy outdoorsSoozDined on 7/31/2014Beautiful setting on vine covered patio ruined by constant road noise nearby. Food was average and not hot when served but would probably give them another chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted chicken = fantastic!EllenPBGDined on 7/27/2014The roasted chicken w/Brussels sprouts was fabulous. I rarely order chicken out, but this looked intriguing and it proved to be memorable. The waiter was terrific, especially when we had drinks and a cheese plate outdoors, then asked to be moved inside (bugs) after we ordered our entrees. No problem -- she told us to take our drinks and take any table. You can't ask for better service than that. It was our first time here, but we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We arrived for early dinner and they had a performer there. He was great and it set the mood setting just perfect.Special Features:
- Super supperOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I met my brothers and their wives for dinner on a Saturday. It was perfect; seated immediately and we enjoyed the piano. The server was very friendly and helpful. Even though there was a wedding and reception going on, neither the service nor our meals were interrupted. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AITRancocasViewsDined on 7/24/2014Weather was perfect for outside patio dining. Friendly waiter. Inside dining was cozy but dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014You need to put a larger sign out front or clear the view. We almost missed the entrance.Special Features:
- Never disappointsPrincipessaDined on 7/19/2014The food never disappoints. Absolutely love sitting on the patio during the summer and now they have the roof covered so you can be out there even when it rains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a few bumpsGKRKVIPDined on 7/17/2014The fried green tomatoes were very good as was the cheese plate. Our entrees were good, but not as good as the appetizers. The service was a little lax. We weren't ready with our wine selection when we ordered our meal and the server did not come back. Finally, we flagged down another server who got us our wine. I would, however, give it another try if I'm ever in the area again as overall it was pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindFoodNutDined on 7/17/2014I found this restaurant using the Open Table app. I wanted to find a local place to have lunch while passing through on the way home from a meeting. I enjoyed the historic atmosphere and the super firendly service upon arriving. The food was excellent. I highly recommend the mushroom soup and Gables salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, ambiance!KmmanDined on 7/12/2014This is a favorite of ours when we have guests in town and for special occasions. The chef sources locally for produce and dairy, always a wild fish on the menu, fabulous specials and lovely wine list. Great bar for reservation-less dining or apps and a burger- piano on weekends, and fireplace in the winter. Highly recommend - you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Lunch Near Longwood GardensEats4funDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our lunch here! We dined in the lovely courtyard and had a terrific waitress with excellent service. The mushroom soup was light and tasty. Both the crab cake sandwich and BLGs were exceptional. I look forward to coming back for brunch and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2014We have always liked the Gables in summer when the outside dining area is open. This area is still rustic and lush with stone walls and moving water, but has been modified with a high tent structure that appears to be permanent. Safety from rain showers is a nice thing for both diners and management, but it does reduce the outdoor feeling of the space. The Gables salad is unchanged with new ownership and remains very good. Shrimp and grits were hot, rich and tasty, an uncommon and appreciated entre. The sea bass was perfectly cooked. Deserts were sensible in size and appropriately sinful. Good coffee. Go! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Amazing findHeidiVIPDined on 7/9/2014Fantastic. The outdoor dining is phenomenal and the inside is just as charming. Food and service were SUPERB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShareVIPDined on 7/6/2014Charred Octopus and soft shell crab were both flavorful. The special which was pan seared scallops lacked flavor.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/5/2014We hadn't been to The Gables in awhile, but had a lovely meal on a very pleasant Saturday evening on their outdoor patio. Our scallops and blackened salmon entrees were nicely cooked, generous portions that we savored with a glass of wine. The beet caprese salad, however, with a mix of sliced beets and tomatoes, did not work well. In my opinion, it should be either or - standard caprese or beets with the mozarella, but not both together. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Nice surprise!SallieODined on 7/5/2014We took my mother to lunch at The Gables last weekend. Since we are from out-of-town we weren't familiar with restaurants in the area. We looked at the OpenTable reviews and decided to give The Gables a try. We're glad we did! The decor is charmingly barn/hip... tall wood and brick walls, metal chairs with vinyl cushions (very comfortable!). The covered patio outside looked great, too... wrought iron furniture, neat lighting above. It looked like a perfect place for a party. The food was really delicious, neat menu. And the wait staff was extremely accommodating (especially to my 85 year-old mom.) It's well worth driving down there again for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitCourt73Dined on 7/4/2014Our lunch at The Gables was very satisfying and pleasant, particularly since it was outside on their patio which is a welcome relief from the darkish indoors and the traffic on U.S. route 1. Our mushroom soup was outstanding with large mushrooms and great herbs. The main courses were substantial. My only criticism was that the delivery of the food took too long. There were only 3 other tables so it should have been a bit faster. However, it would not deter me from eating there again.Special Features:
- Great food & great soundsDWillHDined on 6/29/2014Another great meal at the Gables was complimented by Michael Favinger's performance. What a talented singer and accomplished guitarists. It was a very enjoyable evening on the patio at The Gables. Can't wait for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of TownersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014My family and I found this restaurant listed on Google, and we love places that are Brands/Chains. This place has very good food, and a very nice selection. I would love to get back here and try more, but we were just traveling through for the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014It took around 20 minutes for us to get our drinks and almost an hour to get our food, once we did receive our food it was over cooked, (we both ask for Medium Rare on our steaks) however the steak came well done but instead of sending back and prolonging the wait for dinner we decided to just eat the steak. I'm not normally picky when it comes to food however when paying nearly 30dollars for a steak I want it to be cooked correctly. The service was poor only because there was only 4 people working for a restaurant full of business dinners(2waiter/waitress 1 busboy, the manager),I don't blame our waitress for the slow service as she had many others she needed to people to get to. However there was no apology for the wait to receive our food
- Nice Choice but not romanticFishloverVIPDined on 6/21/2014A review of this restaurant that we read listed it as a romantic restaurant perfect for Valentines Day. We came on our anniversary and were disappointed. It is a lovely farm house with appealing food, but hardly romantic or unusual. The menu items are available at many places. The staff was hurried but pleasant and anxious to please. I don't think we will return.Special Features:
- Bobby4545katielaneDined on 6/21/2014The waitstaff is excellent waiter we had had six tables that made us feel we were his only concern. Food presentation was exceptional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shabby ChicdoxieloverVIPDined on 6/21/2014My daughter and I stopped for lunch before a wine tour at Chadd's Ford Winery. I booked through OpenTable, and always pay attention to the reviews. I was surprized when we pulled into an almost empty parking lot....it wasn't looking good. We chose to eat out on the patio. It was quite nice, although it could use a bit of "sprucing" up. The best thing about this place is THE FOOD!! I had shrimp over cheesy grits and it was wonderful....my daughter had the combo, soup, half sandwich and half salad. She loved each item saying it was the best chicken salad she'd ever had. We totally enjoyed our lunch, and hope to return again when we are in the area......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is a true neighborhood gem. The service and food were flawless. Philip, our waiter, was professional, personal, and knowledgeable about the menu with the perfect balance between being accommodating and letting you enjoy your meal. The food was delicious. We ordered special of the evening, seared scallops, and the rainbow trout dinner splitting a grilled romaine salad and pecan pie. Everything was perfectly cooked. We will be dining here again in the near future.Special Features:
- Great Grotto DiningGDudeVIPDined on 6/19/2014What a beautiful patio setting, reminds us of a grotto. Covered from the weather, you'd never know you are sitting along Route 1. The ambience was comfortable and wonderfully complemented by tasty food selections presented beautifully. All presented, we had a terrific evening dinner that is memorable. Great surprise!Special Features:
- Great dinner - would visit again.JantikiDined on 6/15/2014We had a very nice dinner for fathers day - there was something for everyone and the dishes were creative. The atmosphere was perfect for a nice family dinner for 6, and we would definitely try it again. There were a few missteps on the food - salmon slightly overcooked, vegetables undercooked / near raw - but everyone gave the food good praise - scallops excellent, shortribs, pasta dish with shrimp & rack of lamb - all very good. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- Patio lunch diningaltal714Dined on 6/15/2014I took my mother and father here for Father's Day. We sat on the patio and listened to acoustic guitar. It was absolutely gorgeous outside which made the day even better. Food was amazing and ambience was perfect.Special Features:
- Great DinnerDiningFunDined on 6/12/2014As usual, had a delicious dinner with great services. I really like this place. I never a regret dining here.Special Features:
- Mvv63Dined on 6/7/2014Very nice food..not outstanding but well prepared and interesting. The outdoor ambience cannot be beat. Stone walls; twinkly lights bring me back to Europe!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant experienceladiegrayVIPDined on 6/7/2014I had always wanted to try the restaurant and I am so glad I did. We were able to eat in the garden, which was lovely. Our server was excellent and even brought me extra blue cheese olives for a martini without me asking. Little things like that matter. The food was superb. We enjoyed the beet salad, Caesar salad, and shared the fried green tomatoes. My filet was expertly prepared. When my daughter could not eat her shrimp and grits because of the peppers, they immediately made her one without with no difficulty. The desserts were heavenly. I consider the Gables a real find and would return. Prices were reasonable for the quality of service and food as well.Special Features:
- Spot on CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The food was impeccable; everything was prepared to perfection. Complex flavors melded together perfectly to produce a sophisticated meal. The outside patio is spectacular and very atmospheric at night. Truly worth the trip!!Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerlumerDined on 6/5/2014We were tourists and so just had one meal at the Gables. Dinner was great (rack of lamb and trout) and the service was impeccable, without being fussy. The pecan pie was to die for..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerJustMeDined on 6/1/2014We went on a Sunday evening and it was quiet. For starters I had the mushroom soup made from the famous and very local Kennett Square mushrooms. It was made in a broth rather than the expected creamed mushroom soup. It was excellent. Next I had the Rack of Lamb which was also excellent and cooked perfectly. My wife really enjoyed her meal also.Special Features:
- anthonyVIPDined on 5/31/2014Everything was superb. When we seated, a piano player was performing followed by a Michael Buble playing in the background. And then it turned the mood changed drastically. Unfortunately there was a private party upstairs which played pop tunes from Iggy Azalea to Ke$ha. People were either dancing or moving furniture and couldn't decide where to put it. Other than that can't complain about the food and service.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014There were several things my wife and I wanted to try from the menu. We both settled on the specials and we were not disappointed. This place was recommended by friends and we had a wonderful time sitting on the patio which is secluded from the highway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very amateurish WaiterJohnDined on 5/31/2014A very uncommon unenjoyable experience Saturday Night.Special Features: