1401 S Flores St
San Antonio, TX 78204Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefruteria.com/
- Phone: 2102513104
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, Saturday: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Johnny Hernandez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Fruteria
The Frutería – Botanero by Chef Johnny Hernandez is inspired by Mexico's beautiful and colorful fruit stands. The name literally means "green grocer" and the look pays homage to the Mexican "Tree of life" drawings on amate (bark) paper hanging on the walls. The space echoes a Mexican Botanero which is a casual space where people gather after work to get botana-style Mexican tapas and cocktails. The atmosphere of The Frutería tips its hat to Mexico's artisans. The space is contemporary yet casual anchored by the use of vibrant colors and textures. From the furniture, lighting, artwork to the earthenware used to serve food, The Frutería provides an authentic and fresh experience. By day the menu offerings range from fresh fruit cups, licuados (smoothies) to tortas and tostadas for breakfast and lunch. By night, The Frutería transforms into a Botanero offering Mexican tapas or small plates of botanas or antojitos, ranging from nuts, guacamoles, stuffed peppers to bite-size tostadas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Fruteria - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Fruteria reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (11)special occasion (9)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Beautiful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014We had such a lovely time celebrating my birthday here Thursday with friends and family! If you haven't been, go now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to have eat!EdnaDined on 8/24/2014I had the best experience at The Fruteria! The servers were attentive and polite. Food was amazing. I had the three course special. Their new desert included a pineapple ice cream topped with cajeta and spicy nuts. It was amazingly good! Great quality for the price! Romantic and definitely a hidden gem. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff very friendlyThisnicknamethingisstupidVIPDined on 8/17/2014Best breakfast in town. Fresh fruit and amazing staff made sure we had everything we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJIndy14Dined on 8/8/2014The theme here is kicked up Mexican-style small plates. Some were big hits , a couple were near misses, but all were inventive and well executed. Will definitely be back to sample some more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was very delicious. The menu was varied and the drinks were wonderful.Special Features:
- It's just OKJaimeDined on 7/24/2014No parking Bartender way too shy Kept having to wave her down to get a drink even though the place was not even busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Hit!luvgoodfoodDined on 7/24/2014This was my second time to lunch at the Fruteria. On both occasions the food was superb, and my first lunch there included perhaps the best margarita I've ever enjoyed. I look forward to many more meals at the Fruteria.Special Features:
- Fresh and deliciousShirlsmorDined on 7/20/2014The juice drinks here are amazing, all made fresh at your order. Salads are wonderful, and the small plates perfectly seasoned. Authentic Mexican without fol-de-rol. Don't be put off by the non-touristy neighborhood. It's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Priced!SADaisyDined on 7/19/2014The food was very good; but definitely WAY over priced for the amount of food per plate.
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014We visited this restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday, and the atmosphere was festive and energetic. The food was so flavorful and unique. The combinations of sweet and salty as well as celebration of authentic Mexican cuisine made this one of my top favorites in San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We had a wonderful time and the food was delicious! the folks at Gallo PizzeriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/ poor serviceFoodieFanaticDined on 7/12/2014The food was outstanding, once it finally arrived. We waited for 30 minutes for our drinks after ordering. The single drink received, out of the two ordered, was for another table. I walked it back to the bar to ask for the drinks ordered. Once received, they were FaNTASTIC!!! The food was phenomenal. We ordered 5 dishes, all outstanding...especially the mushroom quesadillas!!! The service was disappointing after driving 27 minutes to the restaurant. For over $100 for appetizers and three drinks, I expect better service & great food. Unfortunately, I will not be making the journey there again.Special Features:
- Fruteriabambam22Dined on 7/3/2014This place is amazing. I have been about 10 times since it opened and never disappointed. The drinks and tapas are fantastic. If you haven't been it's a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fruteria Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014My family and I have dined here twice for breakfast. Tonight's dinner was wonderful. Love, love the small plates. We tried quesadillas, chile relenos and ceviche! All most wonderful. I had the Sangria and my husband a beer! It was really a great, flavorful meal. The wait staff very attentive and pleasant. Love also that you can make reservations! Wishing this were true for La Gloria (which we also love!)Special Features:
- Delicious food and drinksmsjuicyDined on 6/16/2014Really enjoyed the food, and though they call them "small" plates, 2 starters and 2 mains were more than enough food for 2 people. The drinks are also fabulous. Highly recommend the infusion margaritas. Noise level was due not to patrons, but to the World Cup game on the television.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fruteria LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/20142nd visit! Love, love this new little gem from Johnny Hernandez.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticBigEaterDined on 6/14/2014The food was very different from what I'm used to,but,delicious! Me and my wife had a good time and will visit again. We came upon this place because we have ate at another restaurant(La Gloria's) from the same chef(Johnny Hernandez) and it was also very tasty. Next on the list will be El Machito! Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionally deliciousLivetoeatVIPDined on 6/2/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. From the cacahuates to the gorditas to the drinks and dessert.... All were A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FruityCariAnnDined on 5/27/2014Went twice in 2 weeks so we could try everything. Awesome drinks made with fresh ingredients. Food was unique and tasty. Dinner is tapas style so you can taste more items. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The following 9 reviews are from the The Fruteria reviews archive.
- enjoyamealVIPDined on 5/20/2014Cucumber margarita was excellent! Started off with Guacamole Refrescante-jicama, cucumbers & oranges-refreshing, different and delicious! Next came the Chicharrón En Salsa Roja Gordita-pork cracklings in a roasted tomato sauce with chiles and crema - very good, but very light on pork cracklings, I would have preferred a bit more. Next came the Chile Relleno En Nogada-a (small) roasted poblano pepper (not battered and fried) with beef, sundried fruits and a creamy walnut sauce-my mouth waters now just thinking about how good it was! Finally, the Cazuela de Puerco en Salsa Verde con Verdudas-chunks of pork in a roasted tomatillo sauce with bits of vegetables-so, so good! Overall we were delighted -the food exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!LizaHookemDined on 5/11/2014Delicious food and service was good however I took my mom here for Mother's Day and they were out of a lot of her favorites. We couldn't wait to eat their Guacamole again and they were out at 11:30AM and didn't have bread pudding for dessert. Other than that it was delicious as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014So thrilled to be taken here for Mother's Day. Wonderful meal, great service! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant off the beaten patMichelleDined on 5/5/2014Interesting menu with a great drink list. All was creative and delicious. Server recommended 2-3 plates for our group of four. We did 3 per person and it ended up being too much, though we did get to try a lot. Server was a little flippant but not enough so to ruin our experience. Would definitely recommend and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant and refreshingLonestarDined on 4/15/2014Our first time there. DELICIOUS food. The Jicama "salad" was so light and refreshing. The service was friendly and attentive and the guacamole is the best in San Antonio - which is saying lot with all of the great guacs in SA. This place would be absolutely perfect for the hot eating months in July and August as well because the food is so light and refreshing, but still very filling and tasty. Colorful outside covered porch with fans. Go! you won't be sorry!Special Features:
- Too smallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014The food was very tasty but it was a very snall amount of shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...upscale and creativeJDPSRVIPDined on 4/3/2014Was in town on business and looked on OpenTable for Mexican - was excited to try something local. The menu is tapas (small plates) style, and we sampled 8 or 9 of the dishes and everything we had was outstanding. The tuna is a MUST have, and the ceviche was outstanding. Everything was flavorful and lighter than your average tex-mex offerings. The atmosphere was great, and the service was friendly and attentive. The Fruteria will be in the rotation on future trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The food is consistently good, and the waitstaff is always friendly. Also, great signature cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place a mustAngelinaDined on 3/21/2014The margaritas at this place rock! Best margaritas in town hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.