The Front Porch
1215 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frontporchtally.com/
- Phone: 8502220934x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Sunday: 10am - 2:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Friday: 9:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Katie Spetman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A full catering menu is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Catering menus are reflective of the region and feature only the freshest ingredients.
- Private Party Facilities: Charming event space is available in three separate interior locations. The Tarpon room can accommodate 16-20 people on the main level of the restaurant.
Two additional function rooms are located on the Second Floor accommodating up to 60 people for plated dinners and 80 people for receptions and theater style seating.
- Entertainment: Live music Fridays from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- Special Events: We host monthly "Movies Under the Oaks" on our front deck, showcasing timeless classics accompanied with a three course prix fix dinner menu and complimentary champagne. Seats are limited so make your reservations with our hostess.
A word from The Front Porch
A masterpiece that will change the culinary landscape of Tallahassee forever, The Front Porch combines the casual nature of the old south with one of the South's most treasured ingredients; fresh seafood. The only raw bar in Tallahassee to serve local shellfish and crustacea as well as that from around the country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Front Porch - Best Restaurants in Tallahassee ›
The Front Porch reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (55)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (22)romantic (22)good for groups (20)scenic view (20)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Beautiful setting awful food.RedeemedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Bad food. Went for brunch. Chicken and waffles sounded good. Chicken was three small dried out tasteless chicken tenders. Must have been sitting around for hours. One on my plate was so small and tough it was like chicken jerky. One person in our party had French toast which was okay but nothing special given the price. Owners should be ashamed to serve that food. Service was average.
- linkDined on 9/13/2014Food and service were excellent. Initial seating in a room off the main area a bit hot, but we were moved and it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood LinguineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I ordered the seafood linguine the other night and I wasn't too impressed. The amount of good and quality was pretty good but the shrimp still had their tails on, and the muscles and scallops still had thier shells on. It was so messy and aggrevating trying to remove everything from their shells and make adjustments. Everything will be a lot better if they can just remove the shell and tails ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio perfectTallygrlDined on 9/9/2014Awesome dinner!! Service was perfect and the filet was delicious. We ordered ours Pittsburgh style and it was extremely tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My opinionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My overall rating in number 1 above is based on menu pricing. The food was very good, however for the price charged everything else was below my expectations.
- inconsistencygingerlassDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant has exchanged hands, its been refurbished the location and esthetics of the restaurant are beautiful.unfortunately, no one took the time to train staff.the other times ive been I have had good servers and very good food but this last time, the hostess was incredibly rude, and did not honor our reservations to sit inside. Her hospitality was nonexistant. The food was inconsistent as well, had the exact same dish as before, only to have a hockey puck for steak, and over cooked eggs. The saving grace were the fantastic margarittas from the friendly bar staff.Special Features:
- Great meal and atmosphere!pilotandwifeDined on 9/6/2014First time in Tallahassee so we asked for recommendations from the locals. The Front Porch was originally suggested to us for breakfast, but when we tried it that morning we discovered they didn't open until lunch time. After doing some online restaurant searches that afternoon, The Front Porch came up as a dinner recommendation. The menu looked great and the open, outdoor dining appealing. We aren't wine connoisseurs, but the list had a good variety and choice of prices. We chose the warm crab dip as an appetizer, which was delicious and more than enough to share. As an entrée, we both went with the grilled salmon. It was grilled to perfection, moist and flavorful. We shared the coconut crème cake which was outstanding. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePattyDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at this location since The Front Porch took over the old Chez Pierre venue. The menu and feel are completely different, but the charm and ambience remain, and the food was excellent on all counts. We especially liked the wedge salad. The seafood was fresh and well-prepared. We will definitely return for another "date night"!Special Features:
- EnjoyableCallme4dinnerDined on 9/5/2014Liked our waiter who was very attentive. Our party of four enjoyed their entrees too. Shrimp and grits were delicious with plenty of shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkristiDined on 9/2/2014We have been to the Front porch three times in the past and this time was disappointing. I love the decor-if you like eating outside it's amazing. On arrival there were three receptionists that looked and acted as if we interrupted their discussion. menu is very limited. When I made on line reservations, I had put in the comment box that it was our son's birthday- Hunter and Harp are amazing with customer service- nothing was mentioned at any time during our visit. Our server was new and said several times "I'm not sure, I'm new here"- The wait was over 30 min for our dinner ( they weren't busy ) our son ordered fresh tuna/salad- Salmon arrived instead. My chicken was very good- the rice was ordinary.Special Features:
- Dinner OutUniquex2Dined on 8/30/2014The food and portion sizes are great. The ambiance is relaxing and beautiful. Good place for date night or dinner with friends, family or co-workers. The only issue was our waitress didn't check on us enough and we ran out of drinks. If a couple is going to spend 100$ on dinner, the staff needs to be cognizant of such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front porchLgbtbDined on 8/28/2014Great spot for birthdays etc. the staff is very friendly and the ambience is busy. Not quiet or romantic. We had a problem with some kind of fly/gnat group that found our table and food. Not sure but i think its from the outdoor bar eating area coming in with the wait staff constantly coming and going. But the food was delish and we had fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful, awful servicemopbDined on 8/23/2014Although Front Porch had a beautiful ambiance and decent drinks at the bar, our experience was marred by the fact that we had not even been GREETED by a single server and not given drinks for 35 minutes, even AFTER I actively sought out a server. Although the night manager this past Saturday offered "exceptional service" the next time we dined there, he merely handed us his card without clear indication of compensation for time lost and wasted. I STRONGLY recommend other dining experiences. (In fact, we had gone to the Cypress restaurant in lieu of, and we were completely happy with the food and service.) The Front Porch is NOT worth the wait.
- foodie100Dined on 8/19/2014The food was not good and the selection that evening was poor.
- Great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Have been to the Front Porch several times and each time it is delicious and memorable. Highly recommend it and suggest reservations....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promise unfulfilledPromisesDined on 8/16/2014So this is our 5th trip to the Front Porch. Each trip requires 2-3 months to forget that the food does not match the ambiance or promise/hope we have for this great venue. The appetizers are ordinary, the entrees meh. Specifically I had the pistachio crusted grouper. Way too salty and over cooked. For the price...go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Brunch was outstandinggingerlassDined on 8/16/2014Everything from the drinks to our brunch was wonderful. Our service was helpful and knowledge about the menu. I had the steak and eggs with the buffalo blue mixed drink-all perfection. My friend had the Appalchacola Oysters that were so fresh and flavorful, as well as their halpeno margaritta. Next time we shall try to same some room for dessert. Highly recommend for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit was disappointingLauderdDined on 8/14/2014We were anxious to return as our first dining experience was memorable. On this night, it was was less than satisfactory. Our favorite, shrimp and grits , was cold and the grits were lumpy. The redo was not much better. One diner had the grouper which was clearly not fresh. On the good side, the server was attentive and the ambiance lovely. Maybe the chef was on vacation.Special Features:
- Great food, service, but...travelsalotDined on 8/8/2014The food and service were outstanding. On the negative side, we had requested indoor seating when we made the reservation and again when we confirmed and were told that it would be noted in our reservation. When we arrived, the hostess asked if we wanted to be indoors or outdoors; when I pointed out that 'indoors' was noted in our reservation she said it was not there. Because they were not busy, there was no problem seating us indoors, but I was disappointed that there seemed to be nothing in the reservation as promised. We were seated right next to the door to the outside, which, since it is a sliding door, remained open for the staff to go in and out. This allowed the considerable noise from the outside to come in, along with flies.Special Features:
- extra guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/5/2014There were flies and gnats inside the restaurant. This required fanning and swiping to keep them off the food and our faces. We made mention to our server and the very nice Asst. Manager made his way over quickly to make apologies in an effort to make us feel better.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining at Front PorchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We took our Grandchildren out to celebrate our Granddaughters graduation from FSU. It was a Sunday evening and there were five of us. We sat outside and listened to great 40's music, with wonderful service and excellent food. Our server, was attentive but also allowed us time to sit and visit while we had two bottles of wine and then shared coffee and desserts. We will certainly come back when we visit the Grandchildren.Special Features:
- Beautiful setting but food?NangeloneDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful the service was impeccable but the food was so it was nothing special and for the price it just could've been a lot better I was not impressed-it didn't match the atmosphere, I mean grilled salmon over plain white rice and a couple of asparagus spears on the side you can get that at Cody's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too hoth28perezDined on 8/2/2014I requested on 3 separate occasions to have my party of 5 sit indoors. Not once did the manager or any his staffers ever advised me that there was no inside seating until we show up. Let me tell you that August in Florida is not exactly the time of year you want to sit outside in nice clothes and have a party. Add to that very slow and inconsistent service and you have a recipe for not so much fun. So the $600 I spent were not worth it... I would not recommend this place to anyone. And if you do go, do not rely on the reservation that you submitted unless you are ready to walk out...Special Features:
- Celebrating the end of summerCelebrationDined on 7/31/2014After summer school ended. I celebrated with my daughter with excellent food, causal sophisticated outdoor environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTimesDined on 7/31/2014We had a great time dining here. The food was good and the drinks where great, but the service was outstanding. We had an excellent waitress and outstanding service. Our car battery even died and the staff was quick to come to our rescue.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DiningATallahaseeLassieReturnsDined on 7/31/2014I brought my mother to FP for her birthday and it was lovely. Lout waitress was accommodating and the food, delicious! My mother loved the shrimp and grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful mealLynnVIPDined on 7/26/2014My son and I had an awesome dinner at The Front Porch 2 nights ago. The atmosphere was pleasant and our waitress was attentive. Although the prices were quite high (even compared to my "foodie" hometown of Greenville, SC.), the meal was creatively prepared and delicious. The restaurant's low reviews I saw online prior to our reservation were laughed at by my son's roommates who say it is one of the best in town (I agree). I ordered pistachio-encrusted grouper over smoked gouda grits (fabulous) and my son had the crab-encrusted filet mignon (a bit rare for his request for "Medium," but he still enjoyed it. Our side of haricot vert and julienne carrots were cooked perfectly. I have nothing negative to say about this delightful place.Special Features:
- Not impressednotlovingitDined on 7/26/2014Knowing that it is VERY hot in July, we opted for inside dining. While it was cooler inside, because of the constant opening of doors for outdoor diners, inside was still warm. This also allowed for flies to enter the dinning room which vexed us during our entire dining experience. I couldn't figure out why my legs (I am short) kept hitting my husbands legs (he is tallish) until I figured out after being served our food, that the table was very narrow. I had to swing my legs to the side. Last, while the steak was good, when I pay over $30 for a steak, I expect it to be very good. It was not anything special. The service was good, the ambiance o.k. I am not recommending this to my friends and I won't be returning.
- Outdoors in July!PetrieDined on 7/19/2014Multiple well-placed fans helped an outdoor dinner at the Front Porch a pleasant occasion. Our server was excellent, and the ambience fun but civil! Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchJuboDined on 7/19/2014Brunch was delicious. My son loved his crab cake egg Benedict. I had the chicken and waffles which were good. Two others had French toast and devoured them. The building is decorated very well. A very enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightBrentp55Dined on 7/18/2014The Front Porch has a great casual southern feel and great food and service to go with it. Menu has mostly seafood but has enough variety for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keep on workingCKJCDined on 7/17/2014Hoped it would be better. Shrimp and grits good flavor but too much grits. It's hard eating shrimp with the tails on. Pistachio grouper cooked well but bland, maybe a spicier sauce would help plus too many grits again. Cajun shrimp good flavor but add more sauce and serve with french bread.Special Features:
- Treat yourselfCelebrationDined on 7/13/2014Wish I lived in Tallahassee! Every visit must include brunch. The omeletes and chicken and waffles are just terrific! I know... Chicken and waffles covered with warm bacon syrup! Can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014beautiful spot but food was disappointing would not eat there again
- Asheville gem!SteveVIPDined on 6/22/2014Just down the street from the Biltmore Estate, this restaurant has it all from appetizers to dessert. The gazpacho is as good as I've ever had and the bread pudding was worthy of a visit on its own. And our server, Eddie, was terrific and his drinks were even better. Thanks CK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff and Food was very goodStihlboltsDined on 6/21/2014The hostess and the waiter we had were very good. Our food order we had to reselect a couple of times because items were either out of season or not available Saturday. The problem with a menu that carries seasonal items becomes a irritation for the guest when each time you choose something and it's not available, this happened with both the fish and the wine. Once we finally did pick something they had, it was very good. The noise and ambiance was very low key and relaxing, even with people sitting next to you it felt like you had your own table. The restaurant has enormous potential, I hope they fine tune some things on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many flies.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014While the food was good, the gnats and flies made the dining experience unpleasant.Special Features:
- badpat123Dined on 6/21/2014Already posted a review on Yelp. Don't waste your money at this place. They need to learn how to cook--overdone shrimp in two dishes, overdone spaghetti. How simple are those things to cook?? No flavor. For those prices , you need to serve better food. Won't be back. Don't understand the crowds.
- BrunchSeminoleGingerDined on 6/21/2014My boyfriend and I had brunch at the Front Porch last Saturday morning. He's more of a breakfast fan so he got the omelet and I got the lobster bisque. Overall, the food was good. Nothing to write home about though. The complimentary biscuits were a little on the dry side. I love the ambiance of this place, though! Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ★★★★gingerlassDined on 6/19/2014From the moment you walk up to this establishment you are transposed to the coast. The menu is limited, but done superbly. The seafood was prepared perfectly, the ceveche was delish, and so was the shrimp and grits. Their staff was knowledgeable and kind. Would recommend, and excited to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.