The Front Porch
1215 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, FL 32303Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frontporchtally.com/
- Phone: 8502220934x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Sunday: 10am - 2:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Friday: 9:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Katie Spetman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A full catering menu is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Catering menus are reflective of the region and feature only the freshest ingredients.
- Private Party Facilities: Charming event space is available in three separate interior locations. The Tarpon room can accommodate 16-20 people on the main level of the restaurant.
Two additional function rooms are located on the Second Floor accommodating up to 60 people for plated dinners and 80 people for receptions and theater style seating.
- Entertainment: Live music Fridays from 9:00pm to 12:00am
- Special Events: We host monthly "Movies Under the Oaks" on our front deck, showcasing timeless classics accompanied with a three course prix fix dinner menu and complimentary champagne. Seats are limited so make your reservations with our hostess.
A word from The Front Porch
A masterpiece that will change the culinary landscape of Tallahassee forever, The Front Porch combines the casual nature of the old south with one of the South's most treasured ingredients; fresh seafood. The only raw bar in Tallahassee to serve local shellfish and crustacea as well as that from around the country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Front Porch - Best Restaurants in Tallahassee ›
The Front Porch reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (53)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (25)great for brunch (24)romantic (23)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (10)scenic view (9)notable wine list (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DisappointingAllAroundEnjoyableDined on 10/19/2014Looks so good on outside...dining area is bland and booths are uncomfortable. Service was incredibly slow. Out of 3 things we tried to order. Quality of seafood pasta was awful. My salmon was delicious and perfectly prepared...it saved the day...no vegetarian item so our guest ordered the seafood pasta without the seafood and asked for some veggies and was charged the same price...overall feeling we had was they really only care about the bar patrons...I realize it was the day after a big football weekend, but if you can't handle that then you should not be open for dinner the following daySpecial Features:
- amazingschrepDined on 10/12/2014The chicken and waffles with bacon maple syrup was amazing. Great service and atmosphere. I would recommend brunch to anyone. I haven't tried any other time but I'm sure it would be greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014I was visiting my son at FSU and we were looking for a nice, quiet place not owned by a large chain. Food was very good. My food, filet mignon with crab crust, could have used some seasoning. My son and his friend enjoyed their entree's. The dessert's were excellent.Special Features:
- Cool and Chic!kissntellDined on 10/11/2014Great place for a girls night out. Planned a Sanity Social and we really enjoyed to food and vibe. Would recommend it to friends and family.Special Features:
- Non pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014I made my open table reservations a few days in advance as I was planning on visiting with my daughter in Fsu. We arrived on time and there were plenty I'd empty tablea where we could have been sat. However, we were taken directly down to the lawn and say next to rhe street. The temp was file and the food was cold. I asked to be seated upstairs where there were move people and cover and I was told those gables were reserved ? Really 30 min later people arrived for those tables. I was told to request the appropriate location next time. Completely unacceptable
- Tally FavOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Our second visit to The Front Porch did not disappoint. The food, staff and ambiance was just perfect. The total package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service Disappointing FoodblandDined on 10/4/2014Lobster bisque bland, Shrimp and grits tasteless aside from too much salt, cold coffee, pistachio grouper tasty,, tarrahon chickem also tasty. Service was alittle slow but overall attentive. I might go back to try a different menu item jusy because iy is such a pretty place I really want to like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was our first time to The Front Porch; however, we will return and soon. We had a wonderful experience and this restaurant is now on my list of all time favorites.Special Features:
- Chicken and wafflesCelebrationDined on 10/4/2014Usually super good in the past this time chicken was small amount and not as tasty. Perhaps Patents weekend was a challenge. The waffles were drenched in syrup-tooo much. We have had this dish many times before and this trip did not hit the usual mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best Restaurant in TallybeantownchuckDined on 10/3/2014I was told this was the best. Service was poor food was fair. Waited 1.5 hours for food. Manager took 25% off from bill which was fair and appreciated. However, I think the restaurant is overpriced.
- Had higher hopesterpgirlDined on 10/3/2014I was so excited to go to dinner here, but overall the experience was lacking. The service was a little slow- not painfully bad but for the prices it should have been much better. I ordered the tuna and it was bland, and it was served with a sauce that tasted like ketchup. The food was ok but was really expensive. I will give it one more chance before I categorize it as a "drink and appetizer" place.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJLPGolferDined on 9/27/2014Some reviews say service was bad but our service was outstanding The chef was out of the kitchen checking on diners. We had a good waiter and other wait staff checked on us when he was busy.Our foor was outstanding as we had the grouper and sea bass both were fresh,well prepared,and presentation was good.If there for first visit request porch depending on weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this Tallahassee gem!MalloryEatsDined on 9/19/2014Loved this Tallahassee gem! The seafood was delicious and the service was greatSpecial Features:
- Beautiful setting awful food.RedeemedVIPDined on 9/14/2014Bad food. Went for brunch. Chicken and waffles sounded good. Chicken was three small dried out tasteless chicken tenders. Must have been sitting around for hours. One on my plate was so small and tough it was like chicken jerky. One person in our party had French toast which was okay but nothing special given the price. Owners should be ashamed to serve that food. Service was average.
- linkDined on 9/13/2014Food and service were excellent. Initial seating in a room off the main area a bit hot, but we were moved and it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood LinguineCfoodcriticDined on 9/13/2014I ordered the seafood linguine the other night and I wasn't too impressed. The amount of good and quality was pretty good but the shrimp still had their tails on, and the muscles and scallops still had thier shells on. It was so messy and aggrevating trying to remove everything from their shells and make adjustments. Everything will be a lot better if they can just remove the shell and tails ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio perfectTallygrlDined on 9/9/2014Awesome dinner!! Service was perfect and the filet was delicious. We ordered ours Pittsburgh style and it was extremely tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My opinionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My overall rating in number 1 above is based on menu pricing. The food was very good, however for the price charged everything else was below my expectations.
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014A friend and I decided to stop in for brunch. It was a bit humid outside and we chose to sit inside. Unfortunately a piece of art near our table was drawing a lot of bugs and we asked to be reseated. Our new table was fine until the air conditioning vent started to drip....by this point we were far enough in our meal and peach bellini that I just scooted over away from the water. Aside from that, the waffle with fruit compote was delicious! The carafe of peach bellini was delicious, but should probably be kept on ice- it got hot really quicklySpecial Features:
- inconsistencygingerlassDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant has exchanged hands, its been refurbished the location and esthetics of the restaurant are beautiful.unfortunately, no one took the time to train staff.the other times ive been I have had good servers and very good food but this last time, the hostess was incredibly rude, and did not honor our reservations to sit inside. Her hospitality was nonexistant. The food was inconsistent as well, had the exact same dish as before, only to have a hockey puck for steak, and over cooked eggs. The saving grace were the fantastic margarittas from the friendly bar staff.Special Features:
- Great meal and atmosphere!pilotandwifeDined on 9/6/2014First time in Tallahassee so we asked for recommendations from the locals. The Front Porch was originally suggested to us for breakfast, but when we tried it that morning we discovered they didn't open until lunch time. After doing some online restaurant searches that afternoon, The Front Porch came up as a dinner recommendation. The menu looked great and the open, outdoor dining appealing. We aren't wine connoisseurs, but the list had a good variety and choice of prices. We chose the warm crab dip as an appetizer, which was delicious and more than enough to share. As an entrée, we both went with the grilled salmon. It was grilled to perfection, moist and flavorful. We shared the coconut crème cake which was outstanding. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePattyDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at this location since The Front Porch took over the old Chez Pierre venue. The menu and feel are completely different, but the charm and ambience remain, and the food was excellent on all counts. We especially liked the wedge salad. The seafood was fresh and well-prepared. We will definitely return for another "date night"!Special Features:
- EnjoyableCallme4dinnerDined on 9/5/2014Liked our waiter who was very attentive. Our party of four enjoyed their entrees too. Shrimp and grits were delicious with plenty of shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkristiDined on 9/2/2014We have been to the Front porch three times in the past and this time was disappointing. I love the decor-if you like eating outside it's amazing. On arrival there were three receptionists that looked and acted as if we interrupted their discussion. menu is very limited. When I made on line reservations, I had put in the comment box that it was our son's birthday- Hunter and Harp are amazing with customer service- nothing was mentioned at any time during our visit. Our server was new and said several times "I'm not sure, I'm new here"- The wait was over 30 min for our dinner ( they weren't busy ) our son ordered fresh tuna/salad- Salmon arrived instead. My chicken was very good- the rice was ordinary.Special Features:
- Dinner OutUniquex2Dined on 8/30/2014The food and portion sizes are great. The ambiance is relaxing and beautiful. Good place for date night or dinner with friends, family or co-workers. The only issue was our waitress didn't check on us enough and we ran out of drinks. If a couple is going to spend 100$ on dinner, the staff needs to be cognizant of such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front porchLgbtbDined on 8/28/2014Great spot for birthdays etc. the staff is very friendly and the ambience is busy. Not quiet or romantic. We had a problem with some kind of fly/gnat group that found our table and food. Not sure but i think its from the outdoor bar eating area coming in with the wait staff constantly coming and going. But the food was delish and we had fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful, awful servicemopbDined on 8/23/2014Although Front Porch had a beautiful ambiance and decent drinks at the bar, our experience was marred by the fact that we had not even been GREETED by a single server and not given drinks for 35 minutes, even AFTER I actively sought out a server. Although the night manager this past Saturday offered "exceptional service" the next time we dined there, he merely handed us his card without clear indication of compensation for time lost and wasted. I STRONGLY recommend other dining experiences. (In fact, we had gone to the Cypress restaurant in lieu of, and we were completely happy with the food and service.) The Front Porch is NOT worth the wait.
- foodie100Dined on 8/19/2014The food was not good and the selection that evening was poor.
- Great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Have been to the Front Porch several times and each time it is delicious and memorable. Highly recommend it and suggest reservations....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promise unfulfilledPromisesDined on 8/16/2014So this is our 5th trip to the Front Porch. Each trip requires 2-3 months to forget that the food does not match the ambiance or promise/hope we have for this great venue. The appetizers are ordinary, the entrees meh. Specifically I had the pistachio crusted grouper. Way too salty and over cooked. For the price...go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Brunch was outstandinggingerlassDined on 8/16/2014Everything from the drinks to our brunch was wonderful. Our service was helpful and knowledge about the menu. I had the steak and eggs with the buffalo blue mixed drink-all perfection. My friend had the Appalchacola Oysters that were so fresh and flavorful, as well as their halpeno margaritta. Next time we shall try to same some room for dessert. Highly recommend for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit was disappointingLauderdDined on 8/14/2014We were anxious to return as our first dining experience was memorable. On this night, it was was less than satisfactory. Our favorite, shrimp and grits , was cold and the grits were lumpy. The redo was not much better. One diner had the grouper which was clearly not fresh. On the good side, the server was attentive and the ambiance lovely. Maybe the chef was on vacation.Special Features:
- Great food, service, but...travelsalotDined on 8/8/2014The food and service were outstanding. On the negative side, we had requested indoor seating when we made the reservation and again when we confirmed and were told that it would be noted in our reservation. When we arrived, the hostess asked if we wanted to be indoors or outdoors; when I pointed out that 'indoors' was noted in our reservation she said it was not there. Because they were not busy, there was no problem seating us indoors, but I was disappointed that there seemed to be nothing in the reservation as promised. We were seated right next to the door to the outside, which, since it is a sliding door, remained open for the staff to go in and out. This allowed the considerable noise from the outside to come in, along with flies.Special Features:
- extra guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/5/2014There were flies and gnats inside the restaurant. This required fanning and swiping to keep them off the food and our faces. We made mention to our server and the very nice Asst. Manager made his way over quickly to make apologies in an effort to make us feel better.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining at Front PorchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We took our Grandchildren out to celebrate our Granddaughters graduation from FSU. It was a Sunday evening and there were five of us. We sat outside and listened to great 40's music, with wonderful service and excellent food. Our server, was attentive but also allowed us time to sit and visit while we had two bottles of wine and then shared coffee and desserts. We will certainly come back when we visit the Grandchildren.Special Features:
- Beautiful setting but food?NangeloneDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant itself is absolutely beautiful the service was impeccable but the food was so it was nothing special and for the price it just could've been a lot better I was not impressed-it didn't match the atmosphere, I mean grilled salmon over plain white rice and a couple of asparagus spears on the side you can get that at Cody's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too hoth28perezDined on 8/2/2014I requested on 3 separate occasions to have my party of 5 sit indoors. Not once did the manager or any his staffers ever advised me that there was no inside seating until we show up. Let me tell you that August in Florida is not exactly the time of year you want to sit outside in nice clothes and have a party. Add to that very slow and inconsistent service and you have a recipe for not so much fun. So the $600 I spent were not worth it... I would not recommend this place to anyone. And if you do go, do not rely on the reservation that you submitted unless you are ready to walk out...Special Features:
- Celebrating the end of summerCelebrationDined on 7/31/2014After summer school ended. I celebrated with my daughter with excellent food, causal sophisticated outdoor environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTimesDined on 7/31/2014We had a great time dining here. The food was good and the drinks where great, but the service was outstanding. We had an excellent waitress and outstanding service. Our car battery even died and the staff was quick to come to our rescue.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DiningATallahaseeLassieReturnsDined on 7/31/2014I brought my mother to FP for her birthday and it was lovely. Lout waitress was accommodating and the food, delicious! My mother loved the shrimp and grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.