The Front Porch - San Francisco
65 A 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Front Porch - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrontporchsf.com/
- Phone: 4156957800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday-Thursday: 5:30 PM-10:30 PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:30 PM-11 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM-10:00 PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM, Friday & Saturday
5:30 PM- 11 PM Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Matt Marcus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: For all of you who hate waiting out in the cold for our delicious fried chicken the front porch has just bought you a cozy new neighborhood bar across the street called Rock Bar(as in geological rocks you'll see what I mean) where you can get a great cocktail before dinner & after dessert. Rumor has it there may be a midnight fried chicken window with a get it til it's gone type of supply and demand in the works!Plus there will be some front porch signature snacks to hold you over or up.
- Special Events: 9/9/ @ 9 pm The front porch will be having a viewing party for our showcase on food networks diners, drive-ins and dives. Porch concession stand will be available after 9pm and last dinner reservation will be at 7:30.
9/16/13 The front porch turns lucky number 7. We will be closed for regular dinner service, but 20 bucks gets you a big plate of food and some fun entertainment.
A word from The Front Porch - San Francisco
Come rock out on the porch and enjoy some southern mission hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Front Porch - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (56)great for brunch (38)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (26)hot spot (23)late-night find (22)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (16)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014It was disappointing because they are apparently known for their fried chicken but it was really bland and boring. And when we returned it and asked for a burger instead, the order was not completed properly. Also, the drinks are poured a little light-handed. The staff there was friendly and the music in the background was good although it was a touch loud there.
- Not the friendliest staffBeverlyVIPDined on 8/5/2014The service here is always a bit slow and not as friendly as you'd expect....
- Good Food/Long WaitEatTheStreetDined on 8/3/2014Good food but the wait for our main entree was a little too long for my likingSpecial Features:
- Mainstay & my favorite spotredanonymouseDined on 7/31/2014Excellent as usual... gumbo app is a must, but coulda been a lil hotter (temp, not spice); fried chicken is unparalleled; burger, a mainstay too just doesn't seem like the burgers of old; pecan pie was 5 star! What I really love about FP is the ambiance. Don't know what it is... the booths, the bar, the bartender who's been there for years... be coming here for 9 years -- chefs have turned, ownership too (???) but I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE!!!Special Features:
- Southern BlissGPSSDined on 7/27/2014Took my gf to The Front Porch for a Sunday date. The decor and ambiance are awesome. I appreciate a good rocking chair neighborhood feel. We ordered the devil's eggs, baked Mac n cheese, and 4 piece chicken. All scream comfort food deliciousness. I highly recommend the brown bag beignets for dessert. I love this restaurant. A mission gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageBeaglebudDined on 7/27/2014We went to celebrate 2 birthdays. The table they sat us at was a small table for four with an added chair at the end. The food we ordered barely fit on the table without constant reshuffling of plates. The table next to us was seated 10 minutes after us and had their order taken before us as well as their wine served. The food is good but not exceptional. The prices charged feel high for the portion size. The chicken was tasty and crunchy. The braised short ribs could have been a little more tender. The shrimp and grits were good but overpriced for the portion. Overall, an average dining experience. A good restaurant but not great.
- Loved it!!CHuttotexasfun2014VIPDined on 7/26/2014The fried chicken was tasty , crisp snd moist on the inside, with just the right spicy crispy crust. The shrimp grits were smoothe and the brown gravy was scrumptious !! Would love to go back!! Bloody Mary's were yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding flavorsSpiker53Dined on 7/24/2014The fried chicken is the best i`ve tasted of any place in all my travels throughout the world. It`s a must try if you and your group want to have a fantastic meal with different plates to sample, do the chicken. My wife had the Dr. Pepper brazed shot rib and it`s a good portion of great flavors. We tried to replicate the meal at home, came close to The Front Pouch`s, but not even as good. The wait staff are great and attentive so overall get a reservation and have a wonderful meal whatever you have, plus for San Francisco they are moderately priced.Special Features:
- Love the food, hated the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014I've been to the front porch a few times, all the food is great, but the other night we had a server that had the demeanor of a wet mop. We had to reminder our server about drinks and appetizers we ordered, and once the server realized we had ask a different server for our orders, the server came over and tried to be nice....unfortunately it was a little too late for that. Our server seems way more interested in the hipster friends or what was happening at the Rock Bar than anything else. LAME!Special Features:
- super experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014we saw this place on DDDs!! i brought my fiancé here the night i proposed to her.. the place was amazing.. the food was superb.. and the staff was awesome!! they found out we were engaged and made it a night to remember!! we will definitely be going back to this place very soon!!Special Features:
- plumpuddingVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's easy to miss because it looks like someone's front porch. :-) We had a great meal; the fried green tomatoes with red pepper coulis is a tasty starter and the wild Louisiana shrimp is what shrimp should taste like! We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- **YUM**SchatziDined on 7/19/2014Loved the chicken & waffles, fried okra, mac n cheese w/side of ham!! Excellent value, service and drinks! = )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent again!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/18/2014Second time around, charmed again! This time I brought along a couple more friends. The food was consistently excellent. This is fast becoming a go-to place for me and my friends. No drama-just great food, great atmosphere, and excellent service. This restaurant is a winner and I'll be back.Special Features:
- Good local resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014How fun to walk down the hill to a fun and yummy place for dinner on a Friday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Loved your Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes! And of course your Pecan PieSpecial Features:
- Great FoodTVL69Dined on 7/17/2014Check it out! Worth it. It's pricey if you want to enjoy the whole food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax on The Front Porch!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is an excellent restaurant. As a La. native and a traveler to the Caribbean, I'm always skeptical about restaurants that claim to be "home, Southern, or Caribbean, I cringe. Thanks to The Front Porch, I can now have the real deal Southern dining experience in San Francisco. The service, particularly from the friendly owner who greeted us at the door was excellent! The atmosphere was busy, charged, energetic, without the typical hot restaurant pretension. The food was phenomenal. I consider myself a friend chicken, mac & cheese, and okra connoisseur, but they nailed it!!! The surprise of the evening was the deviled eggs with the bacon/jalapeño twist-Awesome! I will definitely return and soon!Special Features:
- Killer Fried ChickenashmudDined on 7/10/2014Great southern food, with great drinks to boot....Special Features:
- mypick2eatDined on 7/9/2014Would recommend to anyone who looking for great southern food with a twist of fun dining! We tried several appetizers all were really good; if you love bacon be sure to try the dates wrapped in bacon with goat cheese!Special Features:
- Yummy Comfort FoodGoodEats52Dined on 7/6/2014I had heard that their fried chicken was some of the best in city, so when I walked through the door and was greeted by the wonderful aroma of fried chicken I felt at home. My two friends and I ordered the bucket of chicken which was plentiful and delicious. Our appetizers which also served as sides consisted of short ribs (new to the menu), whole fried okra, fried green tomatoes and biscuits. All of the dishes were well seasoned and cooked to perfection. Oh, did I mentioned the complimentary side of mac & cheese. :) The staff and servers were friendly, attentive and fast. This was my first visit but it won't be my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the fried chickenMark94115Dined on 7/6/2014The fried chicken was great, service was good. Super noisy and crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The fried chicken dinner w/ Mac & Chz along w/ the dr. pepper short ribs dinner was delicious. So worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014Really enjoyed the Food, Drinks, and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Southern (Mission) HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014The food is fabulous - great fried chicken, pecan crusted flounder, short ribs, and a wonderful appetizer or bacon wrapped, goat cheese stuffed datetes! Wow! While the bourbon and rye selection is good, I highly recommend the "porch swing," a delicious and summery bourbon cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday on the Front PorchCoolSarahKDined on 6/25/2014Had my birthday here this past week and I had never heard of this place before. It was recommended to us by a friend and I could not have been happier. We had some drinks at the Rock Bar across the street which had an amazing list of signature cocktails. The Manhattan was unbelievable. Then we ended up across the street for dinner where we closed the place down. It was full of people but everyone was just so amazing, servers and patrons alike! The food was scrumptious and I was already thinking about coming back half way through my meal. It made me upset that I live in the Tendernob! So far away from this amazing spot. Will be back, and will be back SOON!Special Features:
- great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Went here for my birthday after seeing this place on a tv show. Lived up to its reputation. Food an service were excellent! Drinks were good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer service & food fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I had a very random question about their back of house operations & kitchen & the owner personally came by to discuss it with me. She later offered to email follow up. The food was just as amazing & great wine! I recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Fried ChickenRosieAVIPDined on 6/14/2014The bucket of chicken at Front Porch is a great late-night meal at a great price. The chicken is juicy inside and crispy outside. The collard greens and corn on the cob sides were a favorite. We had a little bit of a wait for our table, not a big deal, but the staff was super communicative about the wait and then offered to comp some appetizers.Special Features:
- Early Father's Day dinner407HelimechDined on 6/14/2014We spent the afternoon at the beach and found this place was nearby, had online reservations and open late. Appetizer, drinks & dinner were AWESOME! I chose the bacon wrapped dates as the appetizer and they were especially tasty. For dinner, I had the Dr. Pepper braised short ribs w/mashed potatoes, wifey had the pork chop with a side of mac & cheese (should be it's own food group) and my son had a bacon cheeseburger & fries. The short ribs were fork only, fall apart tender and the pork chop was extremely flavorful. My son devoured the burger in what I would call record time for him. Fine dining in a casual, neighborhood joint is probably the best way to describe this place. Drop by Tand enjoy a great meal. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible service food didnt live upGuythatwentDined on 6/13/2014two people ended up with very upset stomachs after dining here. service was unorganized. 20 minutes between drinks, one time 30 minutes. i understand it is cool for the hipster service crowd to not groom and appear to have not bathed but when they reach over the top of your plates and food you are receiving unsanitary service. Fried chicken wasnt bad. One of the most memorable parts of the evening is when a drink, described in the menu as having a sugared rim, was served without a sugared rim and the waiter was asked if we got the correct drink, the waiter pulled a very unprofessional attitude snapping "I can bring you a different drink if you dont want the one you ordered."You can get this food better and cheaper at any soul food place.
- So goodDavorDined on 6/7/2014This place is really, really good. The southern style food is terrific, as are the cocktails. It's so comfortable that it feels like your living room. There's always a good crowd, but you can still hear your companions and enjoy their company as well as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern ExcellenceJessVIPDined on 6/7/2014Like a trip to Savannah. Excellent Southern food in a friendly environment.Special Features:
- Always a winnermgummereDined on 6/6/2014A favorite spot...food is always good and atmosphere is fun. Reservations helpful unless eating after 10.Special Features:
- differentronnbeeDined on 6/5/2014So it has a new orleans twist for sure. It could of been a little more flavorful . We had a big group and we tried about 6 different dishes my favorite was the braised ribs and the mac n cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Front PorchMiddletonmagicDined on 6/3/2014We booked from the UK having seen the FP on Triple D the week before. We were warmly welcomed and the service and food was outstanding - the Chicken is brilliant and the DrPepper Rib to die for. Being Brits however the portions were huge and we couldn't do them justice ! Starve yourself before a visit ! Thanks FP - you were great. Jackie & Andy GilbertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special event dinnerMelissaVIPDined on 5/28/2014They were very accommodating for our special event dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !!Luv2travelDined on 5/25/2014We were visiting from Phoenix and we weren't disappointed. The host was very nice and friendly and the food was wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant. The only thing I regret is not having a dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTravelmeisterDined on 5/18/2014Sorry, the restaurant was good but did not live up to its Triple D hype. I reserved a table and they had it ready for us outside (as I’d requested) but it was a bit cool & windy so we went inside. Super, super dark inside – too dark to read the menu – a friend used his phone app light so we could read the menu. That’s kinda stupid to have to do. They’ve got a great beer selection and we all enjoyed our different beers. Food-wise we went with Dr Pepper braised beef, shrimp with chorizo, and fish along w/ a side of mac and cheese. While all meals were good, they weren’t great. At around $25 a pop with no sides, kinda expensive for average, good food. Hate to say it but the mac and cheese was the star of the meal. Wouldn’t return.
- Fun for a splurgeBernalGourmandDined on 5/18/2014The dishes were adventuresome, though not all were ultimately successful. Best dish we had was the salad: lolla rosa, nicely bitter and delicate, with radishes & cucumbers in a wonderful buttermilk dressing and truly superb croutons. I'm not usually one to rave about croutons, but... WOW. The gumbo was much too thin and too spicy for me. We had the 4pc fried chicken which was a mixed bag: the crust was actually too crunchy & hard so it was difficult to discern the flavors (a combination of their recipe and perhaps a little too long cooking?), but the meat was tender, juicy, &packed with flavor - I suspect a good brine - so once I took off the crust it was actually delicious. Service & staff were wonderful, ambiance noisy but fun! $$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Terrible prices.RickyBeefEaterDined on 5/18/2014The service has always been very attentive and quick, even more so than much more expensive restaurants. I have eaten out, probably 10 to 15 thousand meals by now. While the food is quite good, there are some improvements on flavor-profiles for the main dishes. The Dr. pepper Short Ribs were good and tender, but there was nothing standout about them but they were very good. The problem is the price--$25 for a fair amount of beef over mashed potatoes and asparagus, is just too much money for what you get--16 dollars at the most. Period. There is little value to be had, and so I cannot recommend the Front Porch for value, and the taste of the food does not have me returning too soon, if ever again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.