The Frog and Turtle
3 Bridge Street
Westbrook, ME 04092Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
The Frog and Turtle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrogandturtle.com/
- Phone: 207-591-4185
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am -1:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: James Tranchemontagne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: James or Sasha 207 591 4185
- Entertainment: Wednesdays: Live music from 7:30 to 10:00pm Thursday: Tony Boffa Trio 7 to 9:30pm Friday: Friday Night Music Show 9 to 11 lot of great local acts.
A word from The Frog and Turtle
What is a gastro pub?” Gastronomy is the study of preparing and consuming food. A pub is a neighborhood spot for affordable food and good times. When you combine the two you get a neighborhood spot with a focus on food prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
The Frog and Turtle - Best Restaurants in Westbrook ›
The Frog and Turtle reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (19)great for brunch (17)good for groups (16)romantic (8)hot spot (8)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Super Local BrunchSwimmasDined on 10/19/2014As always the Frog and Turtle did not disappoint. The Benedict special was wonderful and the true reason for our continued patronage, the best scramble in town, was yummy. The service was top notch.Special Features:
- Should be named HeavenStacDined on 10/14/2014I have been to The Frog and Turtle many different occasions, for dinner, sunday brunch, drinks, and even hosted an event there. Each and every single time I am blown away by the food, service, and drinks. Everything from the cocktails Jesse makes, to the food James cooks up, to the jokes that no cocaine Brittany (I believe her name is) throws your way it is an absolute blast. I will be back and will always recommend it as a great place to dineSpecial Features:
- Very entertaining eveningtommyf1Dined on 10/14/2014Emailed & called with request for a table and got it. Good going! Love the fact that everything is prepared to order, which assures the fact that your food will be fresh. Cannot beat their seafood chowder, although a bit salty. This is not the usual creamy like chowder that we experience in other places, The liquid is from the seafood and not from added corn starch. The seafood special was very tasty and filled with lots of meat, very hearty. Haddock, fish and chips, is a different recipe than we are used to, which means that it is not greasy but flakey with a crunch outside and served with their own chips. Great! Very nice drinks & wonderful service, although I will admit that the servers appeared to be a bit overworked that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find in WestbrookAnonymousDined on 10/11/2014Nice atmosphere, great wait staff. Food was alright. I really enjoyed my chicken but the cous cous wasn't great. I didn't realize it came with onions in it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love F&T!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014This was our first visit since owner and chef James had his accident. We expected that some part of the experience would be in disarray. We were absolutely wrong. The mark of a truly professional business is how it deals with adversity. Frog and Turtle was firing on all cylinders. The food, service and atmosphere was at the level we always expect and crave.Special Features:
- MusicVinalDined on 10/3/2014We love coming here for the music and their great food. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. It does get reasonable load but does quit down a bit when the music starts. Took my 83 year mother and she loved the music and the fish and chips. We will be back of course as we love this place. Music was fun and energetic.Special Features:
- Loved it!!BluzjnkyDined on 9/19/2014Awesome place for Terrific Food and great music on Friday night!!! Extensive beer and wine selection Dessert was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The staff made my celebration extra special with some special touches not done at other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/7/2014Had a terrific brunch here! Started out with a sampling of the homemade donuts, and could have stopped there, but this was followed by one of the best versions of eggs florentine I have ever had. All ingredients, including tomato and spinach, seemed to be of the highest quality, which makes such a difference to this veggie fan. My husband had the pulled pork florentine and was equally impressed. Both meals came with a side of truly tasty (perfectly seasoned and textured) home fries. The setting was relaxed and service was friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend to anyone for brunch and will have to return to check out the dinner scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experiencetinytart3Dined on 9/5/2014We had purchased a certificate for a four course meal with wine pairings for four people at an auction. They put together a special menu and the wine matched perfectly. We have been in many times before for wing night and to have a couple drinks. We always enjoy going there, but this was a very nice special dining experience. All courses were delicious. It's time for that same auction next month, so I imagine we will surely be keeping tabs on that bid sheet :)Special Features:
- Great combo/ music and good foodLamaDined on 8/22/2014We enjoy the combination of good food and live music. The variety of menu options will suit most diners. One of the best desserts around and I think it is called the Chocolate Tear Drop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent foodFoodieDined on 8/16/2014We have enjoyed Frog and Turtle in the past and were not disappointed again. It is a neighborhood bar and grill with a simple tasteful decor . Service was exceptional . We were a table of 7 and the waiter was always available to answer questions and allow us time to decide on appetizers and dinner choices . Water glasses were refilled without asking . The only negative was some of the entries were not as describe on the menu. The summer pasta was a watery soup , not the creme sauce described, not good . The beef kabobs were overlooked and tough. On the plus side the Portuguese stew special was exceptional , nicely seasoned , plenty of seafoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lv2eatDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner with family. Two of the group of four had specials which were rated excellent. Others chose from menu and were so pleased. Service began a bit "sluggish" but moved to excellent. All felt it was a good choice for dining and will return. Were pleased with waitperson "Magical"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014MY husband and I used to frequent the Frog and Turtle and loved it.... however the last three or four times we have gone we've been extremely disappointed. Sunday brunch was the last straw. Apparently you HAVE to order donuts otherwise you'll be waiting a cool 45 minutes for eggs! The waiter pushed the donuts at us multiple times and in the end because we choose not to order donuts (mostly out of annoyance at this point) we were told we would be waiting close to 45 minutes for our meal. This is a course restaurant but they kind of forget to tell you that or make it known. The food used to be great but recently has gone down hill to mediocre.
- excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Came here for a post-wedding brunch and couldn't have been happier with the food and the service. Our waiter was friendly and informative and helped us pick a great combination of food, from the specialty home-made fresh donuts down to the bread that comes with the meal (they bake their own bread in house and it is AMAZING - absolutely opt for this option over an English muffin or croissant). We chose an order of donuts and four different meals and they were all great.Special Features:
- Try the donuts!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We attended a brunch recently and our host talked us into trying the donuts. Absolutely awesome; they could have been the entire meal! Our table of 6 ordered different versions of the eggs benedict; all very tasty. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 651 reviews are from the The Frog and Turtle reviews archive.
- As always...clubguyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Brunch was superb! From the homemade donuts to the eggs Benedict what a delicious meal. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub apps were fantastic.VickyDined on 6/13/2014The calamari was fried to perfection, the pork belly tacos were nicely dressed, and our charcuterie/cheese board was nicely balanced. We were a bit disappointed that the entree selection was very limited and didn't seem "in season". Service was wonderful, and the pacing of the delivery of food items was spot-on.Special Features:
- So Sad.SadPatronDined on 6/8/2014By energetic, I mean mind numbingly loud beach rock at 11 on a Sunday morning. I speak for the entire planet when I say, no one wants that. Food OK, but certainly not great. Service terrible. Sadly this was my favorite place for years. A total go-to. No more. And the owners are good guys, so I am really disappointed in the whole thing.
- ..FrankDined on 6/7/2014............................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014I hadn't been for awhile. My friend had never been and she called it a dining experience. We enjoyed everything about it including our waiter he was great Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice in WestbrookJeanandrichDined on 6/3/2014The Frog and Turtle is a great spot for a casual dinner. The menu is very interesting and the food was very good. It has a nice, casual, friendly atmosphere. We will return, maybe on a night when they have music. The choices for beer and other drinks were better than the wine choices, but we certainly were able to find a bottle of wine that we enjoyed. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood food sceneeasy2pleaseDined on 5/30/2014We love going to the Frog and Turtle for the food, the service and the music! This neighborhood gem offers more than you would think. James, the owner/chef makes great, creative food. Not the fastest, but the food never disappoints and portions are generous. Great wine, beer and mixed drink selections too. There are almost no restaurants in the area for both great food and great live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBookDined on 5/30/2014Everything was simply great, the place, the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service OKFoodieDined on 5/30/2014Table for 3, reservations made. Specific dietary accommodations were made which was greatly appreciated. Dinner was delicious. We were asked to leave after 1 hour and 25 min. (full, 2nd round of drinks in hand) because other reservations would be coming in. It was Friday evening at 6pm and there wasn't a line. No band had started. We felt our being asked to leave was rude. We had already had a $100+ bill. I would have appreciated knowing there would be a table time limit when I booked the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014Busy night. Great music!! Food was good. Not our first time here so we must like it to keep coming back!Special Features:
- Lively Neighborhood FavoriteHollyDined on 5/22/2014In addition to one of the more awesome Sunday brunches in Southern Maine, Frog and Turtle is a happy neighborhood gourmet gastro-pub, with equally-delightful lighter pub fare like burgers aside more substantial and delicious entrées. The salad with the eggs, red onion, Parmesan curls and bacon may be my all time favorite salad. Nice French Canadian themed dishes on occasion as well. They offer live entertainment which can really make dining fun, if you're not sitting too close to the band. Last time there The Waiters - light jazz - which I really enjoyed. Great cocktails and fun, attentive wait staff. Foods are cooked from scratch, so get a glass of wine and enjoy the vibe, while you wait for a terrific meal.Special Features:
- Yum!SadonaDined on 5/22/2014The waitress was great, the food was delicious from beginning to end! Even the beverages were very good. I had been trying to dune here for years, and it wasn't disappointing. The prices were on the higher side, but my only not so positive comment would be that the noise level was a bit high for me.Special Features:
- Great foodShelflixDined on 5/18/2014I had Sunday brunch and a great experience here. The food was displayed very nicely and u would highly recommend the freshly made warm donuts. Waiter made us laugh the entire time, we didn't want to leave. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchourbrunchoutDined on 5/11/2014The warning on the menu that all orders are prepared from scratch and take time is absolutely true, especially when the place is crowded. We started with the house specialty of homemade donuts, which were excellent (but took about 30 minutes). The omelets were huge and well prepared with lots of ingredient choices, all fresh. Overall, an excellent place for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food!lovefoodDined on 5/10/2014We have never been disappointed with the food. Chef James creates some amazing dishes. Other reviews indicated you had a long wait for your food but it is well worth it because your meals are made from scratch. The service is great and the servers are very knowledgeable about the menu. Being a Gastro Pub, they also have pub food. So if you want to catch a sports game on TV and have a burger with friends this would be the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love F + T but too noisyluvthsoxDined on 5/9/2014The food and the service is very, very good. The owner/chef, James Tranchemontagne, is well known in the Portland area as he previously was an owner/chef (and maybe owner?) of another well known restaurant. F+ T has great, well- priced drinks served ice cold and delicious, and a good beer and wine selection too. if you want to talk (or hear) make sure you are there before the entertainment starts at 8:30 or 9:00. Reservations are a must, even for the bar. Plenty of non-meat dishes and scrumptious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal with superb serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2014We were a party of four (3 adults, 1 toddler) for an early dinner. This was our first visit with The Frog and Turtle, and we had heard good reviews from friends. Upon entering, the staff was friendly and inviting. Our waitress was fantastic and very attentive, especially to our toddler who was a little fussy. There were a few other children with other patrons as well. The menu has a varied and wonderful selection of pub style and more elegant style foods, although a very limited selection for young children. The food arrived in a reasonable time (since all hand-prepared) and with a great presentation. Well done! We would absolutely visit The Frog and Turtle again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysMainiacDined on 5/4/2014The F&T is our favorite place to good. You know you are going to get a great meal!Special Features:
- Company Night Out !!DiningAgentsDined on 5/2/2014Justin helped us enjoy a wonderful company dinner out with great service ... complimenting the terrific work of chef James. Round the table there were rave reviews about the salmon and pork specials, and the chicken crepe is to die for ! The chocolate dessert and ice cream also got kudos, but none could compare to the lemon, raspberry rum cake parfait ... O M G. It's always with great anticipation that we dine at the F & T, and you never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasic Fourth FridayMebear1Dined on 4/25/2014Fourth Friday at Frog & Turtle with the ToneKings is always a treat. Great food, great music and marvelous ambiance even when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab night!cockyDined on 4/25/2014Great dining, tasty & fine home-cooked food that was affordable. Service was friendly, relaxed, but prompt, and server had a helpful knowledge of wine. And, above all, thanks for keeping the local music scene alive! The band helps to bring out the dancing and community spirit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menume2flVIPDined on 4/23/2014New items on the menu included a mushroom app in philo dough that was just yummy! So flavorful. Kabobs are new, a little well done, but tasty just the same. Homemade ice cream was vanilla cookie dough...perfect ending! Great service as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it! need lunch items w/brunchCrowesnestDined on 4/20/2014I was really pleased that when we arrived, our table was ready. The food was yummy, service was great! Disappointed in the limited holiday menu. Do not get me wrong, the overall experience was very nice. I just wish the "brunch" menu had been expanded to include a few lunch options.Special Features:
- BrunchPaulTDined on 4/20/2014The brunch menu is limited (omelets, French toast, eggs Benedict) to the usual fare. The delicious homemade donuts were the only diversion. The servers were friendly and accommodating but the service painfully slow. And we were there towards the end of the brunch rush.Special Features: