The French Room
The Adolphus Hotel
1321 Commerce St.
Dallas, TX 75202Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteladolphus.com/
- Phone: 2147428200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday, 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
We are NOT participating in Restaurant Week this year.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Marcos Segovia
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
- Special Events: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
A word from The French Room
Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award. Guided by Executive Chef Marcos Segovia, whose culinary talents have earned him acclaim around the world, The French Room is an execeptional dining experience by any standard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The French Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The French Room reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (111)romantic (104)notable wine list (61)fit for foodies (59)scenic view (12)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Not On Their Game...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Normally, the French Room is outstanding, but not tonight. My husband ordered the tasting menu with wine. I had asked that the temperature of my veal be medium. Instead, it was dry, overcooked and medium well. My husband's food was fine overall, but the timing of the wine service with the food service was off. He was generally almost finished eating a course before the wine for that course was ever served. In addition, my husband had ordered a coffee to be served with dessert. The coffee never arrived. We have been dining regularly at the French Room for years. Had this been our first time as patrons, I doubt we would return. However, I'm sure we'll return again, as I'm hoping this one night was just a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply StunningJerTurnDined on 9/12/2014I've had many fine dining experiences around the world, including fashionable restaurants in NYC, beautiful cafes in Paris, decadent & trendy spots in Tokyo. The French Room operates on its own level and is clearly a cut above the rest in Dallas, in the top 5 places we've ever dined. The service is impeccable, the food as well, and the atmosphere quiet & well put-together. The specifics: dining room is quiet and charming - not recommended for a large party or kids, but perfect for a romantic dinner or a couple of couples. For $80 we each had a three course meal with wonderful appetizers (Tuna, Pork Belly) and even better main course (Dover Sole, Tenderloin). Soufflé for desert is a must. Just stunning all around...simply stunning.Special Features:
- The complete dining experienceRutmanVIPDined on 9/10/2014The setting, the food, and the service are exquisite. The experience is traditional, to be sure, but because of the personable wait staff it isn't pretentious or stuffy. Our entire party had the beef tenderloin and hands down, it was the best I have ever eaten. Don't let the $80 fixed menu price fool you. By the time you add a few $10 surcharges, wine and tip, you will do well to spend less than $150 per person.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2014One of the best Resturant's in Dallas. It's like being in EuropeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I find this to be the finest restaurant in Dallas.Special Features:
- Always a treatpadillahDined on 9/6/2014We have been to The French Room a couple of times now and it always makes our night feel special. The staff is always courteous and the food is always excellent. When asked for a recommendation they have concrete answers, not some generic "everything is good here". That being said - everything is good there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Expense was expected, but quality of food did not live up to expense. And the paint on the ceiling above our table was peeling. French Room needs a makeover.Special Features:
- Prepare to be pamperedDaleDined on 8/29/2014This place is phenomenal!! from the moment you step in you are covered with service that is elegant but not pretentious. we had a wonderful time. the food is great. the details are covered. we couldn't have been happier with our choice.Special Features:
- Elegant!vbreaux21Dined on 8/28/2014Incredible evening with an outstanding wait staff, excellent food and a beautiful setting. Simply elegant!Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014My wife loved it! Excellent experience. Fantastic serviceSpecial Features:
- Consistently excellentWonderWomanVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our second time here in less than a year. We stayed at the hotel this year to enjoy the bar prior to dinner. The food (e.g., foie gras, souffle, etc.) is outstanding and so is the service. I frame the menus and hang them in my kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatBemusDined on 8/23/2014It is always a special treat to dine in this glorious dining room. The extras help to justify the prices...amuse bouche, sorbet, petit fours, breakfast breads. The service is gracious and knowledgeable. Everyone makes you feel welcome. Is nice to see virtually the same staff, year after year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceLouiseDined on 8/23/2014This is a fantastic restaurant and always one of our favorites. The Hudson Valley foie gras was amazing. I also had the veal tenderloin- it was very tender and nicely cooked. My husband had the sole, and said it was delicious. The soufflé was excellent. Our server Carlos was attentive and the wine steward selected some wine to accompany our entrees as we did not want an entire bottle. I would highly recommend this for a special occasion meal or just a nice evening out if your budget permits!Special Features:
- The French RoomthefoodjunkieDined on 8/22/2014The French Room must be experienced at least once by anyone who visit or lives in the Dallas area. This is truly one of the best dining experiences out there. The food is truly amazing and cooked to perfection. Service is also top notch. Highly recommended. The only downside is the price but that is expected for the quality and service received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!DallasDinerDined on 8/21/2014I absolutely love dining at The French Room. The decor is beautiful and the service and attention to detail is second to none. But the food? Now that is what makes The French Room special! I have never had anything that I didn't want to relish every single bite. A great place for a special occasion - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Heavenly PefectionFrenchRoomLoverVIPDined on 8/20/2014There are more restaurants per capital in Dallas than any other US city, yet only ONE stands out when it come when it comes to the quality of the food, the ambience of the restaurant, and the impeccable service one receives when one dines at the French Room. From the moment you walk in, you're transformed into a room that could have been found in Versailles, and I'm sure the Louis VIII would have appreciated it as well. It's the small details, like the frette napkins that won't allow lint onto your outfit--especially when you're in navy and the napkins are white, to the staff that totally works together as a team WANTING to take care of its patrons. For the 3rd week in a row, the food was superb, loved the service--especially Connie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!ra0507Dined on 8/19/2014Remarkable. We all loved it. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Anniversay & Birthday Dinner25th53rdDined on 8/19/2014We spent our wedding night at hotel 25 years ago and decided to come for special dinner. Staff, food and atmosphere were all outstanding. Connie was so warm and friendly as was all the staff. My wife and I loved every part of the evening. We will be back.Special Features:
- tolertolerDined on 8/16/2014Saturday evening was one of the most memorable times we have ever had. Everything was just perfect and delicious. The service was outstanding! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special evening, and experience!!VingleDined on 8/15/2014This was our first time to visit the French Room. We came by a recommendation of friends. It was the special occasion of our 45th anniversary. The dining experience certainly matched the occasion. The ambience was especially fitting for our special evening. The service was superb and each course was exquisite in its presentation and a delight to the palate. Our 45th anniversary experience at the French Room will long be remembered. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Disappointing!luvgreatfoodVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have had dinner here many times. It has always been exceptional. However, tonight was a HUGE miss! There seemed to be 3x rule for anything you wanted...you had to ask 3x before you ever got it. We asked for a wine list 3 times before finally getting it. Lemons 3x, butter 3x etc...I have never had service here this bad. When dinner finally arrived the veal was medium well even though I ordered it medium rare. Everything was cold. We should have sent everything back but at this point it was better to eat and leave. In my opinion, the French is perhaps one of the nicest restaurants in Dallas. However, with this many problems in one night, they need to pull it together FAST!Special Features:
- ExcellentTracyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The service was outstanding, beautiful room, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic GetawayZt8ownymjoeDined on 8/15/2014Included with a stay at the Adolphus, the French room was an excellent choice to cap off a wonderful anniversary celebration. The appetizer of crab cake was out of this world. Great service staff warmed up to their guest and made the dining really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner !MarytDined on 8/13/2014Loved the food ! Loved the service ! It was a double date . We all are still raving about the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday DinnerChicagoGalDined on 8/13/2014My husband took me to the French Room for my birthday and I loved every minute of it. The service was impeccable. We felt welcome and special. The room was gorgeous. I loved the formal old school dining feel. The food was excellent. I had read about the crab cake and chose that for my appetizer. No breading. Pure crab meat. Definitely the best I've ever had. I loved the Sauvignon Blanc as well. Crisp and no oak whatsoever. I'm not a food critic so I don't have the words to describe everything we had in fine detail, but it was all fabulous. I would highly recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5* for a reasoncecepDined on 8/13/2014We're Dallas natives and have hit all the 'latest and greatest' restaurants over the years and have inexplicably missed The French Room on our quest to find the perfect dining experience. Our search has ended! The moment we pulled up to The Adolphus we knew we were in for a magical evening. We were there on a Wednesday and opted for the 3 course special menu. Every single choice was incredible. smoked salmon, crab cakes (these cakes are now the gold standard, I won't enjoy be able to them anyplace else), lamb chops with a gorgonzola souffle, grilled Halibut on spring pea Risotto. The wines recommended were French and exquisite. All beautifully prepared, attentively served, every need attended to without interruption. ***** ahhhhhh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion excellenceBubbaDined on 8/13/2014We celebrated our anniversary, and were very pleased with the food and service. This includes the valet, hosts, and wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BEST of the BEST!Arealgem24kVIPDined on 8/9/2014Celebrating my 60th. Absolutely nothing amiss. Service so FINE it is not even noticeable, things just appear and disappear. Comfortable and elegant without being stuffy. Foie Gras was one of the finest dishes I have ever tasted in my life! Paired with a perfect sauterne that they provided. I don't know how the evening and the meal could ever be topped....but I'm willing to try :) Hope to be back very soon!Special Features:
- Well DoneCMor26Dined on 8/9/2014The French Room at Hotel Adolphus was a fantastic experience. My wife and I visited for our 1st Wedding Anniversary, and the staff took great care to make our evening special. From the specially prepared amuse bouche, to the friendly service and wait staff, to the menu keepsake, everything was done with impeccable taste and professionalism.Special Features:
- Spectacular!DreamyDameDined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed my birthday celebration and committment ceremony!Special Features:
- The best.BrotherJosh2533Dined on 8/8/2014This is the nicest restaurant - best food, best service, best atmosphere - I have ever experienced. It was the perfect place to take my girlfriend and now fiancé the night I proposed to her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French PerfectionFrenchRoomLoverVIPDined on 8/7/2014Being greeted and hugged by the hostess and then having the clever Maitre'd make a joke about not having "SENIOR DISCOUNTS" was a great start to the evening since I was celebrating a mile-stone birthday! One of my best friends and I decided that we needed to celebrate our birthdays, albeit late, but better late than never! By the time I was seated, my captain, Connie, was already waiting behind me before I could look up waiting for her hug! As the staff continued coming to my table, my friend asked if i were a rock star or something because of the treatment I was receiving including the head chef, Marcos, coming out to the table to make sure he did well. The food was simply incredible, but there is no such thing as a bad meal there!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsRobbieDined on 8/7/2014We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary at the French Room. We had stayed at the hotel before, but his was our first experience at the restaurant. Every aspect of the experience exceeded our expectations: food, service, staff, ambience. I am sure we will be back before the next anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting for dinnerLyndybirdDined on 8/7/2014Always friendly and wonderful. Fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Dining in DallasOwentheeaterDined on 8/5/2014Having just returned from two weeks in France we craved more great food. Someone suggested the French Room and it was perfect. The service was impeccable, they were invisible until the moment you needed someone. Each person demonstrated excellent knowledge of fine food and beverage. Tuna tartar was on the menu but we prefer steak tartar and the chef obliged with perfection. The presentation of each dish was artful and each garnish was a perfect taste compliment to the principal component. Dessert was outstanding and while the soufflé was exquisite it takes a finer palette than mine to fully appreciate the subtle flavors; the semifreddo was our piece de resistance. We will be back and we will not hesitate to refer our foody friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kwwrdrDined on 8/2/2014Impeccable service and attention to detail. Highly recommend for special occasions.Special Features:
- PerfectionkansasshamrockDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I ate at the French Room for our 7th anniversary. We're pretty serious foodies and we've hit most of the notable restaurants in DFW since we started dating 10 years ago. We had been holding out for the French Room for a special occasion. We both agreed this was the best meal we'd ever had together and it probably isn't that close. The food was perfection. Service was impeccable. Ambience was excellent overall, if just a bit dated. A special, special place.Special Features:
- Wonderful gem of a restaurant!BentlyDined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful evening . Everything was perfect . It's unusual to find a restaurant of this calibre . It was our second time dining there and it was just as lovely of an experience . The price of the restaurant is reasonable for what it offers . We will definitely return .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic resturant with class!RJ2dineDined on 7/31/2014We highly recommend for special occasions as couples or for two!Special Features:
- OpulenteatsalotDined on 7/31/2014Sitting down, I wasn't sure about our choice. The inside is painted like a chapel in Italy, gold leaf everywhere. I was sure we were about to embark on a stuffy dining experience. Wrong- the service was top notch, food was thoughtful and delicious, dessert out of this world. Highlights were the butter poached lobster, and the cremeaux chocolate and mint dessert. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.