The French Room
The Adolphus Hotel
1321 Commerce St.
Dallas, TX 75202Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteladolphus.com/
- Phone: (214) 742-8200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday, 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
We are NOT participating in Restaurant Week this year.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Marcos Segovia
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
- Special Events: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
A word from The French Room
Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award. Guided by Executive Chef Marcos Segovia, whose culinary talents have earned him acclaim around the world, The French Room is an execeptional dining experience by any standard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The French Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The French Room reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (143)romantic (140)fit for foodies (88)notable wine list (80)good for groups (18)scenic view (13)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Never disappointslunchbunchVIPDined on 11/22/2014A tasting menu that exceeds expectations. We always choose the French Room for our "special occasion" dining. We couldn't choose a favorite course--they all were perfect. The spaghetti squash nestled under the perfectly cooked wild salmon took me back--in a good way--to my dad's fresh produce. The "potato salad" amuse had a perfect balance of sweet/sour and potato/vegetal... details that takeout providers never get right. It reminded us of why we love potato salad. Why don't we demand that everyone get it right? The venison/foie gras practically made us swoon with its not-too-much outrageous richness. Every wine pairing lovingly enhanced the course it accompanied. Restaurant desserts are usually a letdown. Not so at the French Room. Flavor/texture/balance details never get lost there. Meringues, coulees, crusts, fruit-- no one element muscles out the others; they play well together to finish an excellent meal. And the coffee? No barista required. Love the French press.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!BeejeDined on 11/21/2014Our compliments to the staff of the French Room. The service was wonderfully attentive yet not intrusive. My husband says he will never order halibut again -- unless it would be on our next time at the French Room because it would not even begin to compare to the fabulous entree he so enjoyed! The entire meal was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic French CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014My husband and I have enjoyed French cuisine ever since our trip to Paris. The French Room had a wonderful menu and extensive wine list. The service was top notch without being overbearing. I appreciated that we didn't feel rushed to finish each course or our wine. We used a Livingsocial coupon and were pleasantly surprised at the selections we could choose from. We left the restaurant eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014We were there to celebrate a birthday, and found the only thing better than the food was the service! This was my first trip to the French room since moving to the DFW area 9 years ago, and I can assure you it won't take that long to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!FtWMaverickDined on 11/19/2014Took my godson there. He has refinied tastes and I knew he'd appreciate this dining experience as a bon voyage gift before shipping out to Marine bootcamp. Sure enough, his palate-memory will harken back to this night when he faces mess hall dinners to come. He felt like a prince and the staff treated him like one too with just the appropriate amount of ceremony and constructive reinforcement. The meal would have been stunning regardless; the service made it all pop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fine dining experience in DallasjlkangDined on 11/14/2014We came here to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. It was by far the best fine dining experience he and I have had together. Everything on the menu is exquisite. I appreciate how they have a vegetarian menu as well. This is definitely a restaurant that carries a reputation for having five star quality on the food, service, ambiance and location. By the way -- Francisco Lopez is the best server there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance At the Adolphus!maryVIPDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant occupies a space in the landmark Adolphus Hotel which in itself deserves a visit. The French room is just that----French! One almost has the feeling of being in Versailles or any of the chateau of the Loire Valley. It is an ambiance of sheer elegance---painted ceilings, with gilded trim. Dining here is truly a special event! Like other fine establishments of classic French cuisine there is a staff of many people. After being seated we were introduced to our Captain. Menus were presented and the fare was a three course offering. My husband for his first course had a crab cake--which was unlike any crab cake I've tasted. It was browned all over but instead of the sometimes crunchy feel it was almost a soufflé interior, still packed with good lump crabmeat. I had a mixed green salad with fresh figs and blood oranges. Both were good starts to the main courses. I chose a macadamia crusted halibut and my husband had filet of sole. We both sampled each dish and were happy with the flavors and how the fish was cooked. Of course like much French cuisine the plates were so pretty that one almost wanted to gaze at the food rather than eat it! The main course was preceded by a sorbet that was presented in a glass hibiscus shaped dessert bowl. Dessert for me was a Grand Marnier souffle with a crème patisserie which was heavenly. I almost licked the dish it was so good! My husband opted for the chocolate cake which was also delicious. We both had coffee which was pressed. We were then presented with some sweets and also a banana bread in a box to take home. A nice touch. All of the staff here were very personable and helpful. It was also notable that the maitre'd greeted us by name and later when I had a question for him he addressed me by my name. I have never experienced that personal attention in a restaurant before. A very special added touch to a fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great visit to the French RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014The French Room is one of our favorites for special occasions. The staff always go out of their way to make it memorable. We chose the chef's selection rather than ala cart as I find it enticing to see what they have planned and it usually matches the season. The meal was wonderful and we will defiantly be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the southchefjuanDined on 11/12/2014Im a Chef and Foodie. I like to eat more than i like to cook ! thats why i became a chef to out do the food at restaurants. I must say i have something to say about everywhere i have been (restaurants) my wife and friends already know thats whats gonna happen, well let me tell you one thing ! the one place i do not have anything to say other than excellence is THE FRENCH ROOM! Carlos is the best waiter on this planet! He made it so easy for us to choose our cocktails, and even the wine ! we didn't need any help from the professionals in the place! and the food ! OMG not one bad comment, my wife said for once i was completely quiet! LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceMagnificentDined on 11/12/2014There really isn't anything new I can add to what others have said: totally wonderful. I will return as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CraigVIPDined on 11/8/2014Meal was absolutely wonderful! The crab cake was the best I have ever had! Connie made our meal with her wonderful suggestions and guidance on our meal selections. Wine suggestions from the staff with our food was perfect! We didn't know much about French wine so we put our trust in them with our dinner. Also a must is to stop and see Cosmo at the bar he's excellent too! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals ever!!Jonespartyof4Dined on 11/7/2014We had the new chiefs tasting on Friday night. The thought that went into the seasoning, construction and presintation were apparent on sight of the dish, the aroma, and each bite. Every bite was delectable, full of flavor and developed to compliment the wines, or maybe vice versa. The staff was perfect; charming, informative, helpful. The wine parings were devine, making the experience wonderful fum. My husband has talked of little else. Thank you for such a lovely evening. We will be back everytime we are in Dallas.Special Features:
- Fine Dining at Its BestR2Eat2Dined on 11/5/2014Another exquisite dining experience to celebrate my wife's birthday. Crab cakes are scrumptiously unique. I usually order the lamb, but tried the veal which was as excellent as the beef tenderloin and the lamb. The blackberry tart and the spice cake were a wonderful finish. From the appetizers to the desserts, the sides and sauces provide brilliant accompaniments. The "Happy Birthday" on my wife's dessert plate was an especially nice touch.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!SF2DDined on 11/4/2014French room is a one of the best and most romantic fine dining restaurant in the World! Food and Service are exceptional too!!! Try their Filet of beef tenderloin. Most tenderest filet ever!Special Features:
- The Best Restaurant in DallasPhilDined on 11/4/2014The French Room is Dallas landmark! Have been here several times and never had bad experience. The staffs treat you like royalty and the food is fabulous. Highly recommend you try this restaurant and you will see for yourself.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencerockinrobinDined on 10/25/2014The food and service were outstanding. Our food was expertly prepared and all of the staff that attended us were perfect in their duties especially Carlos Munoz, the Chief.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice experienceCFCADined on 10/25/2014If you think you have tried it all, wait until you go to the French Room. Exelent Food, the combination of flavors is a great experience. The service is exelent they make you feel like a celebrity. Carlos was our main server, he made our aniversary celebration very much special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection at the French RoomJohnDined on 10/24/2014It has been a couple of years since we last visited the French Room, but the food and ambiance was as good as we remembered. Easily the prettiest restaurant in Dallas, the food was near perfect, the service polished and professional, the wine list great, and the flow of the meal smooth and unhurried. Foie gras, crabcakes, lobster, rack of lamb, filet, branzino and sole, all the different dishes our party of 4 had were excellent. Desserts were as good, especially the soufflés. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. An excellent experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentCarterDined on 10/23/2014Connie was our server and she was AMAZING!!!!! There is nothing new I can write in this review that all of the other ones don't already say. This place is wonderful and I have absolutely nothing but great things to say. Starting from Paul, at valet, to the inside overall. Was a great romantic dinner and I have paid more for much much less.Special Features:
- Another excellent eveningDebsDined on 10/21/2014As always the food, service and ambience were amazing. Would highly recommend eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional ClassCLO50VIPDined on 10/21/2014Unfortunately, the elegant fine-dining style of the past is fading away. Although I enjoy the more contemporary approach, there is a beauty associated with past traditions. The French Room delivers that classy, fine-dining model. I was taken back in my mind to evenings in Venice or Florence. The ambiance found at The French Room is getting harder and harder to find. The food was spot-on. As assortment of Petrossian xavier, foie gras, tuna tartare....all perfect. Wine selection was a little limited, but adequate. Wine service was perfect. All in all...a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Terrific ExperienceeastcoasttransplantVIPDined on 10/18/2014My fiance and I went to the French Room to celebrate our engagement and had an absolutely wonderful experience. We both had the Chef's Tasting Menu and everything was cooked to delicious perfection. Particularly noteworthy is the staff at this restaurant- they are just incredible. There is no "stuffy" vibe at all, and they explain each dish with knowledge and charm while making you feel right at home in the beautiful surroundings. The French Room is simply the best for a romantic special occasion.Special Features:
- The French Room worthy of Michelincowick22Dined on 10/16/2014We have been to many 1,2,and 3 Michelin star establishments and the food at The French Room rivals any we have eaten . Some other places may have a more daring menu but the precision and execution exhibited at The French Room was excellent. The flavors were wonderful and the dishes were plated with a discerning eye towards beauty. I have seen other more exquisitely plated dishes but the combination of precision, execution, flavor and nice plating along with a very charming and gracious staff made The French Room very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is a reason it is #1JonInDallasDined on 10/15/2014This was my second visit to The French Room. I went there based on TripAdvisor reviews - both times were simply perfect. For such a top-notch dining experience it was certainly reasonably priced - it could be much more expensive. Do note the dress code - jackets for guys, no jeans, no tennis shoes, etc. Go dressed to impress; this is a special occasion place and you need to dress accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HediCharlotteDined on 10/14/2014Once in a lifetime amazing. Sooo special! Have not dined anywhere like this. You truly felt like you were royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFoodGourmetDined on 10/14/2014Excellent food and service. I have dined in some of the world's finest steak restaurants, and the tenderloin at the French Room was among the finest pieces of beef I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- RWN123Dined on 10/10/2014Expensive, but excellent restaurant; delicious food, the best service ever, extensive wine list; perfect for Birthday, anniversary or other special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent in all waysDRinDallasVIPDined on 10/9/2014We booked thinking it would all be about the beautiful room. To our surprise the food, wine and service were the real stars! Loved that they give amuse bouche, intermezzo and take home banana bread. We left ours by mistake and the server chased us all the way through the lobby. Highly recommend; don't wait for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's Tasting MenujholderDined on 10/4/2014We've been ten times and I would say this was one of my least favorite chef's menus. However, I went with the wine parings and those really made each dish. However, I would like to see a little more creativity, but overall a wonderful experience as always.Special Features:
- Very pleased!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Highly impressed, food and service were outstanding, great for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Exquisite!mynxDined on 10/4/20141st visit. Service attentive and food timed precisely. Professional and friendly romantic decor. Tried Foi Gras appetizer with chocolate sauce and received a special glass of wine that paired perfectly with it. So divine and melted in my mouth. Jumbo crab cake was very tender also. The palate cider sorbet great tasting. The complimentary mousse with shrimp and yellow tomato was very tasty. Beef tenderloin and Nova Scotia almond crusted seafood cooked to perfection. The French room three sorbets with mixed berries, a little more than I could eat. And my husband celebrated a birthday with his favorite chocolate cake. Happy Birthday was written on the plate, it was a nice touch! We were given a chocolate cake to take home even.Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerbelmakDined on 10/3/2014The food, service, and ambiance are unbeatable. We go there every year and it's consistently a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueambtexDined on 10/3/2014A beautiful resturant with attentive service. The food was well presented and tasty.Special Features:
- Nicest Restaurant in DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014This is the nicest restaurant in Dallas by far - from the service to the food and everything in between. They treat you very well and each course is handled with great class. It truly feels like a royal dinner in France.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGDateNightCoupleVIPDined on 9/20/2014THE BEST EXPERIERENCE I HAVE EVER HAD IN A RESTURANT.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014My wife and I were there to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. We have never been to a restaurant like this due to the expense and felt slightly out of place initially. The staff took care to make us feel comfortable, instructing us on certain aspects of the meal and explaining how certain foods are intended to be eaten. It was the experience of a lifetime. One I will find difficulty trying to out do in the future and one we shall remember for many years to come. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as AlwaysbballDined on 9/19/2014The French Room never disappoints. We specifically fly to Dallas just to eat here. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The cost is very affordable for such extraordinary food and service. All the Captains are wonderful but Connie is our favorite. The staff goes out of their way to make you comfortable. Each bite of food is perfection. The blending of flavors is superb. Worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not On Their Game...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Normally, the French Room is outstanding, but not tonight. My husband ordered the tasting menu with wine. I had asked that the temperature of my veal be medium. Instead, it was dry, overcooked and medium well. My husband's food was fine overall, but the timing of the wine service with the food service was off. He was generally almost finished eating a course before the wine for that course was ever served. In addition, my husband had ordered a coffee to be served with dessert. The coffee never arrived. We have been dining regularly at the French Room for years. Had this been our first time as patrons, I doubt we would return. However, I'm sure we'll return again, as I'm hoping this one night was just a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply StunningJerTurnDined on 9/12/2014I've had many fine dining experiences around the world, including fashionable restaurants in NYC, beautiful cafes in Paris, decadent & trendy spots in Tokyo. The French Room operates on its own level and is clearly a cut above the rest in Dallas, in the top 5 places we've ever dined. The service is impeccable, the food as well, and the atmosphere quiet & well put-together. The specifics: dining room is quiet and charming - not recommended for a large party or kids, but perfect for a romantic dinner or a couple of couples. For $80 we each had a three course meal with wonderful appetizers (Tuna, Pork Belly) and even better main course (Dover Sole, Tenderloin). Soufflé for desert is a must. Just stunning all around...simply stunning.Special Features:
- The complete dining experienceRutmanVIPDined on 9/10/2014The setting, the food, and the service are exquisite. The experience is traditional, to be sure, but because of the personable wait staff it isn't pretentious or stuffy. Our entire party had the beef tenderloin and hands down, it was the best I have ever eaten. Don't let the $80 fixed menu price fool you. By the time you add a few $10 surcharges, wine and tip, you will do well to spend less than $150 per person.Special Features: