The French Laundry
6640 Washington Street
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Laundry
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchlaundry.com/
- Phone: 7079442380x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 1:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Keller is the Owner/Chef
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The French Laundry Restaurant can accommodate private parties of 8-12 guests in our Private Dining Room or a facility rental for up to 62 guests. Private parties can be reserved up to one year in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Amali Svien 7079442380x
A word from The French Laundry
Built in 1890 as a French Steam Laundry, this rustic two-story stone house is surrounded by a country garden planted with vintage roses, perennials and seasonal herbs. The French Laundry Restaurant has an intimate dining room with 17 tables. The dining time is 3-4 hours with two prix-fixe menus to choose from. Reservations are taken two months in advance to the calendar date (i.e. Reservations for April 1st are taken February 1st).Continued
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The French Laundry - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
The French Laundry reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)special occasion (35)notable wine list (30)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- The French Laundry Worth of HypeEyp708VIPDined on 9/11/2014Given the price of The French Laundry, it's definitely a place you go to celebrate something. The food is fantastic, interesting and all of the courses worked together. The only complaint I would have is they could almost pull back a bit on the number of dessert courses and offer more of the items like the chocolates and chocolate covered macadamia nuts as items to go along with the shortbread, only because we were so stuffed by then! Service is fantastic, only downside was I was told them I was cold at one point and they offered me a pashmina that never appeared. With so many servers dealing with you, it can get a bit confusing to know who you told what to. Otherwise, definitely worth a trip if you can get in!Special Features:
- A moment in foodie heavenFoodieEricDined on 9/10/2014I had very high expectations for our dinner here -- all of them were exceeded! We had the chance to try some of the most amazing dishes (you have not lived until you've tried their Oysters and Pearls or their donut holes!) and we had top notch service. There needs to be a different rating system for restaurants at this level. The level of education for our servers was beyond PhD -- they notices my wife checking out the place setting and immediately Teresa (our server) knew the company and style of our settings and answered my wife's question before it was asked. The overall bill was the largest I have ever paid for a meal but if you can afford it, it is well worth it.Special Features:
- Worth the EffortTigerlilyDined on 8/24/2014We chose the French Laundry for our final meal in Napa after a week long trip - a fitting end to our 25th anniversary visit to wine country. It was an experience we will never forget. Attentive and professional staff, incredible food and wonderful wine. The effort it took to get a reservation and the $295 pp cost for the meal/service were certainly worthwhile!Special Features:
- Very, very special restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2014There is not much I can add that has not already been said about the French Laundry. It consistently ranks among the best restaurants in the world - and for good reason. The food is exceptional, of course. The decor is understated and elegant. The service impeccable. You might take notice of the date of our most recent French Laundry experience. Yes, this was the day of the Napa earthquake. We were not sure the restaurant would be open. Not only were they open, the entire meal was flawless - you would have never known there was an earthquake a few hours prior. This is a formal restaurant, no question about it. You might think that means stuffy service. You would be wrong. This was just a really fun experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Happy to have tried it, but there are other places in SF that I will be returning to before going back to FL (Coi, Atelier Crenn...). Two "wow" dishes in the first two courses, and everything was delicate and flawlessly executed, but overall, the meal was not very imaginative or even interesting. As at Per Se, the wine markup runs about 3.5-4X the retail price of a bottle.Special Features:
- Extremely Salty! Disappointing WinelalalaDined on 8/10/2014The reservations team was helpful with accommodating a change in our reservation guest size. However, the food was extremely salty. We had to send back multiple dishes. Despite the assistance of the Somalier, the wines recommended were boring and lacked any characteristics to what we mentioned we liked. We had traveled long and far and really were excited about the experience. We were very disappointed by the outcome.
- Best restaurant ever!FoodsnobDined on 8/1/2014Did not disappoint! Everything, and I mean absolutely everything, was superb. This has tied with Alinea as best restaurant I've ever been to. My husband feels it has surpassed Alinea on his list. PERFECTION!Special Features:
- Great but Not SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014This was my first time to the French Laundry. As those who try to make a reservation know, one has to reserve about two months ahead so this is a challenge. The food is very good but I am afraid that it did not meet my expectations. The prices are a multiple of other comparable restaurants so the value for money proposition doesn't add up. I would reserve recommending the French Laundry to foodies from abroad that have it as a "must do" on their culinary agenda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as expectedFoodieDined on 7/15/2014Worth the effort and every penny. Every course was simply exquisite and service was excellent. Lives up to its excellent reputation.Special Features:
- ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014Expected that our table would be waiting for us when we arrived on time. There would have been a charge for no-show anyway. Suggest that guests be led to their table with a reserved sign and their name. If there must be a wait, guests should at least be welcome with a little aperitif which would be consistent with high end places. Otherwise, the food was out of this world!Special Features:
- 30th Anniversary Celebration BlissMainleboVIPDined on 7/1/2014It was spectacular from start to finish. The service was impeccable and friendly. The food. Was the best I have ever eaten. We took everything as was on menu but upgraded to Wagyu beef with black truffle, and it was Devine. I are things I normally wouldn't eat such as caviar and Tuna, and they were scrumptious. Every course (felt like 13+ courses) was a work of art as well as devine tasting. Hands downt best meal and restaurant experience ever for us. Worth it? For us yes. It will be an anniversary we will never forget. And yes you can ask Chef to autograph your menu if he is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Amazing Meal EverFood911VIPDined on 6/30/2014The service was implacable. Each course was just as delicious as the last. The Oysters and Pears was the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. The most knowledgable, non pretentious staff. If you have any concern about the cost- don't go. The tasting price is just under $300 per person, but you need to add quite a bit of wine to your 4-5 hour meal. There are also opportunities to chose additional items or alternate tastes for an additional charge. After dinner bourbon (they have a pre-prohibition 1911 Jim Beam! A few from the 1800s! It's Amazing historically!!) and cigars are available- including pre-embargo Cubans. You could spend thousands!! You won't spend less than $500 per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedRBRBDined on 6/29/2014Service, presentation and quality of food were outstanding (no surprise there). Though I have to say I expected a far better meal than what was served. Courses were beyond small and too many desserts. I've had better meals at Bouchon and it never dissapointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every single bite was amazing !!!LovetoeatinnapaDined on 6/29/2014After every bite my husband was speechless and just said wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experiencejcm3VIPDined on 6/13/2014The dining experience is unique and no detail is overlooked or expense spared. Oyster and pearls was the shining star for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the one.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/7/2014Nothing else compares -- at all. Temple of gastronomy of the highest order.Special Features:
- great experienceAndrewDined on 6/1/2014I was expecting to be amazed by an incredible meal/experience, and I was. I had the best scallops, chicken, and beet salad that I have ever had, as well as very tasty lamb. Desserts were also great (and there were plenty of them)!Special Features:
- An ExperiencebexxxDined on 6/1/2014Amazing food combinations and wine parings. It's a little too pricey, but I guess it's the big time for chefs and staff so they need to be paid well (at least I hope they are).Special Features:
- AMAZING Dining ExperienceMJIVVIPDined on 5/25/2014What can I say, The French Laundry epitomized culinary perfection! I have been trying to score a table for the past 3+ years. Year after year, reservations are fully booked and lo and behold, this year, a table opened up and was very fortunate to snag it! Excellent service from TFL's Maitre' d and the staff as well as the Sommelier, you'' definitely get a rockstar treatment. Yes, the food is FANTASTIC. Every dish of the 9-course meal from Thomas Keller's kitchen is perfection! He elevates simple/fresh ingredients and transform them into out of this world dishes. TFL deserves all the accolades it receives. Certainly, one of the best restaurant in the world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingGoldenGopherFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Best food overall and service I've ever had. I had high expectations going in - they were exceeded. We upgraded a few of our menu items and are happy that we did. The macaroni and cheese was amazing, and the wagyu beef was simply the best piece of meat I've ever had. When asked if I've ever had food as good, I would say I've had some individual meals that come close or exceed some of the meals we had on our tasting adventure. However, I've never been to a restaurant where every single dish was so amazing. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 535 reviews are from the The French Laundry reviews archive.
- Amazing Anniversary DinnervinendineDined on 5/23/2014This is the restaurant I've compared all other experiences too for 7 years. Interesting to compare it to our 1st visit. Only down side was that CA no longer allows foie gras, because the French Laundry 7 years ago had the best I've ever tasted! This restaurant continues to not just provide amazing food, but a fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le laundryJColiVIPDined on 5/16/2014The meal is $295 base. Add-ons included 75 bucks for non-Caspian caviar, 100 bucks for mac and cheese and 100 bucks for wagyu steak. Then there's wine of course. For two people the total was right under $1000. You're really paying to eat pieces of art. Everything is exquisitly sculpted.The food itself was on the salty side. Still it was on the bucket list and now it has a check by it. Do it once and move on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingBearDined on 5/12/2014I have always dreamt of dining at the French Laundry. I was lucky enough to find reservations close to my birthday. There was 6 in my party, we arrived right on time. We were seated immediately. I asked if it were possible to view the kitchen and they said, of course. I was able to meet the head chef for the evening, Michael Wallace. The food was absolutely spectacular. From the starters, to the breads, to the mains, to the desserts, each bite was delicious. Everything was well explained to us prior to each course. At the end of the meal, our Captain Kevin Macway surprised me once again with this beautiful and delicious birthday cake. The whole night was magical. I certainly plan on coming back...maybe after I visit Per Se.Special Features:
- Food industry, not artDejanVVIPDined on 5/1/2014This restaurant belongs to the fast food industry sector. From the moment we entered it was obvious that the first sitting should leave the premise in about 2 hours. Food was bland and boring, not a single dish worth of a “WOW”. At our table we were 4 foodies that ate in at least twenty 3 Michelin star restaurants in 7 countries and we were never so disappointed with the food – so far. We were on a 5 day tour starting with Matsuhisa in Los Angeles, to Sierra Mar in Big Sur (Carmel), Goose & Gander in St. Helena, The French Laundry in Yountville and Bar Tartine in San Francisco. The French Laundry was supposed to be the top, but it was definitively the bottom of our tour. It was an interesting cultural, not culinary experience.
- Wanted to love it, but...hornDined on 4/26/2014Whenever you set out for a meal at a place like French Laundry, you know it has the chance to be the best meal ever. Sadly, our experience missed the mark. Overall the food was good, though nothing seemed to be pushing the creative limits or raising the ceiling. I think it did at 1 point, but perhaps they haven't changed while others are doing more and more. The service was very poor, we were shocked. The waiter did little to explain anything about our foods, where the ingredients were from, or what made them special. The wine selection as well, no explanation of why the wine they chose for us (at our request) was good for what we were having. When I go to a restaurant of this level, I want to know everything and why it's unique and specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly wonderfulOpentable85VIPDined on 4/21/2014We were lucky to get a reservation while visiting Napa. This is rated as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world and it doesn't dissapoint. The portions are small as they are merely tastings. Each was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. I can still remember how amazing the Peas & Carrots were. Peas & Carrots! Crazy right? The service was excellent, not at all stuffy. We had champagne in the courtyard before dinner and then dinner upstairs. It is pricey and the wine list is even pricier but we picked a red & a white from two of the local wineries that we had visited. If you bring your own, the corking fee is $150. If you are a foodie you have to dine here,at least once.Special Features:
- Simply the BestLaskaDined on 4/18/2014Never reviewed before but this place deserves my first. Worth every penny. Simpily amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most expensive ever, but .....SRpdxDined on 4/13/2014A wonderful meal, anticipated for years. The restaurant completely lived up to expectations. I'm not sure it gets better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Believe the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/4/2014For all the nitpickers who complain about the cost all I'll say is you know it's going to be very expensive when you walk in the door and you're paying the same amount as those before you and after you. However, in my opinion, you get what you paid for. This place is truly amazing. The food was sublime with creative flavor combinations and perfect preparation. We went with the standard lunch (I paid up for the wagyu--amazing) and both loved it. The service is perfectly choreographed--attentive without hovering. If you're going to pay up for a special meal, you can't do better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2014Simply the best dining experience I have ever had. The combination of flavors in each dish was just amazing. Presentation was spectacular. Service was splendid. Hats off to chef Thomas Keller and his culinary team for creating such a fine establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the real 3 stars michelin ofANTONIOMELLODined on 3/26/2014The best one in the usa, perfect like Robuchon,creative like Gagnaire,modern and single line like Bras, FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe Even Better Than AdvertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/22/2014it is a foodie destination, and more expensive than several good restaurant meals combined, but it is definitely worth a trip for the experience. The food is terrific, the service, even better. I will start saving now for my return visit. We are very spoiled to live in Northern California. Periodically, they have cancellations and make tables available on OpenTable. What a terrific surprise to see it available. We made the pilgrimage and were blown away by the experience. We will be back for a special occasion somewhere along the way.Special Features:
- totally worth it:)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014We had a once in a lifetime experience. Great food, great ambiance, great service- totally worth the price!!Special Features:
- Outstanding Experience!dyuen34VIPDined on 3/21/2014The experience and ambiance is what you pay for. The service was immaculate. We choose to go to lunch. The food was beautifully presented. The servers would always check on our table to see if we needed anything. The dishes were very tasty. I loved the oysters and pearls, the lobster, and all of the desserts. I did not care for the sole, it has a very fishy taste. I think this is a one in a lifetime kind of place. It was amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!PolishWineguyDined on 3/20/2014I think that says it all. After fifteen years in the wine business, FL's reputation didn't disappoint. It was a once in a lifetime experience that none of us will soon forget. Thank you to everyone at French Laundry for a very special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect serviceKayeDined on 3/19/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was delicious and the service perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very expensive but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2014sure the price is somewhat over the top, but it was in fact the best culinary experience of my life. If you can manage, it's one of those "bucket list" experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed.AW168Dined on 3/9/2014According to the price, I expected great service, extraordinary food. The tasting menu isn't special at all, you can have those food in most restaurant.
- Like dining in Heaven.aggiejack72Dined on 3/5/2014You can't beat The French Laundry for a unique dining experience in Napa Valley. The ambiance in nice. The service is impeccable. The food is varied and amazing. Each serving is a new and wonderful adventure for your palate. The wine list is monumental. You won't want the evening to end even when you realize you've been there 3-4 hours! It's a dining experience like no other on earth. It's what dining must be like in Heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing overall experiencecheers3983Dined on 3/1/2014Like most, we had very high expectations going into our dinner. We were not disappointed. The food was incredible, the wine was outstanding and matched our preferences exactly, and the service was impeccable. The main dishes were delicious but honestly what stood out the most was dessert. There were three separate courses for dessert and they kept getting better and better each time. This is one of those bucket-list places you need to get to at least once. I thought it would be primarily because of the food. But it turns out that the service and staff were what made this place stand out. They were down to earth (we are casual people), joked with us and even let us visit the kitchen afterwards. That was the highlight of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.