The French Laundry
6640 Washington Street
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Laundry
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchlaundry.com/
- Phone: (707) 944-2380
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 1:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Keller is the Owner/Chef
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The French Laundry Restaurant can accommodate private parties of 8-12 guests in our Private Dining Room or a facility rental for up to 62 guests. Private parties can be reserved up to one year in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Amali Svien 7079442380x
A word from The French Laundry
Built in 1890 as a French Steam Laundry, this rustic two-story stone house is surrounded by a country garden planted with vintage roses, perennials and seasonal herbs. The French Laundry Restaurant has an intimate dining room with 17 tables. The dining time is 3-4 hours with two prix-fixe menus to choose from. Reservations are taken two months in advance to the calendar date (i.e. Reservations for April 1st are taken February 1st).Continued
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Jackets are required for gentlemen, although ties are optional. We also ask that no one wears tennis shoes, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The French Laundry - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
The French Laundry reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)fit for foodies (33)romantic (27)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2014We dined here recently and had an amazing meal. Service was excellent. The food was incredible. The ambiance is very romantic with a cozy, French country feel. I recommend you do this at least once in your lifetime. It can get a little pricey…dinner starts at $295/person (includes service and non-alcoholic beverages) and our dinner for four came out to be $1600. However, it was well worth every penny and we will definitely be back the next time we are in Napa Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ImpecableOnceAcookAlwaysAcookDined on 1/15/2014It was everything my hopes and dreams made it out to be, and more! Seeing as I have a tattoo based on an illustration out of the French Laundry cook book, I may be a bit biased. Hands down one of the most amazing experiences of my life.Special Features:
- Over Rated- Over PricedGlobalShawnDined on 1/9/2014Everything in the restaurant is OK, but nothing close to the reputation it once had. Most everything is mediocre to good. There is an uncomfortable push to leave so they can turn the table to the next customer. Wine list is particularly a big rip off. This place is way over rated and over priced.
- Had been waitingJRthewinoVIPDined on 1/8/2014We had been waiting to dine here for some time and were somewhat disappointed. Maybe ppl make things out to be more than they should in their heads but this did not live up to 3 Michelin stars for us. Execution of dishes was there but several did not seem to grab my attention the way Robuchon or Ducasse have. The service was completely impersonal and the girl that brought the dishes seemed so disengaged and walked away before finishing what should have been a description that illustrated the hard work coming from the kitchen but instead was so oversimplified it was insulting. It is not to say this isn't a great restaurant just not near the best restaurant in the country. It hurts to say this because I wanted it to be.Special Features:
- Elegant food!ChefKevinDined on 1/5/2014The French Laundry requires a 2 months in advance rsvp. I think it is worth the wait. I love the food and the service that was provided here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not perfectEatPastaVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had the pleasure to try the 10 course holiday meal on New Year's eve 12/31/2013. The price was a bit more than usual ($550 per person, service included, tax not included) and of course, wine was additional. Each course was delivered to the table and the server cited the main ingredients. I think FL service was very good.The food presentation was very nice. We liked all but the Andante Dairy "Legato" dish. We disliked the cheese which was the centerpiece of the dish. I love beef and eat rib-eye all the time so I was a bit surprised that the Herb-roasted rib-eye was a little tough. They serve the rib-eye cap which is normally the most tender piece of the rib-eye. It was nicely medium-rare but the texture seemed off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This meal was outstanding.worldtravelerDined on 12/31/2013This meal was outstanding. Every course was incredible. The only thing that might have been improved (but just barely) would be the desserts - they were very good but not quite on the same level as the rest of the meal. This restaurant is on par with top restaurants in Paris (and we live in Europe and eat a lot in Paris).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as we recalled....eatAnythingVIPDined on 12/31/2013This was our second time dining here and we were looking forward to the special menu they were offering for New Year's Eve. After dining with them the first time, we have been raving about their restaurant to everyone. This time, we returned with our two young children along so they could share the great experience we had been raving about. But perhaps we had built up too much of an expectation, Unfortunately, this was not a meal I had expected at all. Most of our dishes were overly salted and quite heavily creamed. Instead of Wagyu beef, we were served with Snake River Farm. Many of the dishes had black truffles in them, but it was so salty , we feel the truffles were included just for the sake of being there.
- Wonderful food. WonderfulZmLgwDined on 12/28/2013Wonderful food. Wonderful people and service. Always an exceptional and magical experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabalous food and great servicesiDecoDined on 12/23/2013Food portion are standard with fine dining scene but the number of dish and creativity input to them are so generous. It's no question about their worth to the price tag. This is really a must-try for every foodies if you can save some to afford it. I'm very sure that everyone who said it's crazy price tag and do not try there never been there before and very skeptical. So, please try and let your palate do the job.Special Features:
- A fun experienceVegFoodie4lifeDined on 12/20/2013I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it was a really fun experience. It was the best service you can imagine, no pretentiousness, and the food was delicious. He and I agreed that the best part were the house are sodas. You'll never have a soda served the same way anywhere else (and they tasted SO good!). My boyfriend is also allergic to seafood, nuts, and personally does not enjoy the taste of mushrooms. The menu was full of those ingredients and they accomadated him wonderfully. I am a vegetarian and the Vegetables Tasting menu was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dining experienceBirthdayGirlDined on 12/17/2013Although very expensive, it was worth every penny to celebrate a special occasion. It was not only a meal, it was a dining experience. You will not go away hungry or disappointed. Food was delicious and staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Ask for a tour of the kitchen on your way out. They will also give you a copy of your menu so you can remember what you had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Birthday!SilviaDined on 12/15/2013Whatever you hear about The French Laundry don't take as a consideration. You will only know what French Laundry is all about after YOU experience it yourself. If you are used to good food and good price, don't go there. The restaurant is an experience that you will not forget, the flavor, the presentation of each course, the service and the ambient is just the best you can get. You may say it's way to over price for the food, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PRICE OF THE FOOD, IT'S ABOUT THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE. I will definitely come back as i will do it to the Dinner at the Garden of The French Laundry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers to the French LaundrymthieleDined on 12/13/2013We like to think of ourselves as foodies, and as such have been anticipating having dinner at the highly acclaimed French Laundry for several years. After spending almost a year trying to get a reservation, we were finally successful and managed one for Friday the 13th (I wonder if the day/date gave us the edge?). We selected the dishes that also offered white truffles. Needless to say each of the courses were fantastic, but each of us had several dishes that were the favorites and in both cases the dishes with the generously applied white truffle shavings were our top picks. We thoroughly enjoyed the cuisine, but the quality of service and the ambiance were a huge part of our positive experience.Special Features:
- An evening to rememberEricDined on 12/11/2013Simply put, if you ever have the opportunity to eat at the French Laundry, take it. The menu is fixed so if there is something you don't like, they will make efforts to accommodate you. My suggestion is to risk it unless its a food allergy. The atmosphere is elegant and quite. Gentlemen must wear a jacket. Plan for several hours as the menu has 6-8 courses. This restaurant is not for the frugal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013Excellent all around. Service notable, as they served the 6 of us with 3 waiters on each course delivery. Memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topLisaBDined on 12/2/2013A bucket list dining experience and it did not disappoint. They are on another level. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- AmazingAAAADined on 11/26/2013Exceedingly good food. Bloody expensive but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal of a LifetimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2013Dinner at the French Laundry is a very special occasion in itself. The service and food are everything you expect and want from a first class restaurant. The staff could not have been warmer and we were treated to a tour of the kitchen. Everything I eat for the next few days will be a bit of a disappointment in comparison. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnforgettableUnforgettableDined on 11/1/2013After three years of trying to get a reservation, we finally succeeded and took my mom for her birthday lunch. It lived up to expectations. Before our meal we walked through the restaurant's garden, which tempted us all want to order vegetarian. Our meals were all unforgettable, but my husband's vegetarian meal was amazing, especially his vichyssoise. For me a true test of a restaurant is its dessert. The French Laundry DID NOT disappoint. I think they served us 8-10 different bite sized desserts. The best were the rich chocolate truffles. An added bonus is that the chocolatiers came from New York to dine at the French Laundry, and were seated right beside us. We only figured this out later, but they are my rock stars. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedundantMikeTVIPDined on 10/31/2013We are just the next in line to express the satisfaction with the food and service at French Laundry. Each portion was unique. The style is very different from Alinea as the servings are more than a bite. But the flavors and textures were great.Very expensive, very worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccableCanww08Dined on 10/26/2013The food quality stands solid the service impeccable would recomend less stiffness on te female waitress will defenetly recomend and come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French LaundryIssaDined on 9/11/2013We had a wonderful dinner. The food, service, ambience and wine list were exceptional! Attention to detail was outstanding! One of a kind dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2013definitely worth it at least once in a lifetime...unless someone else is paying. Plan 3 hours for lunch for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Meal, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2013Our 5th dinner at the French Laundry, and it was wonderful. The menu is divine and the service is superb. I personally missed the foie gras (no longer allowed to be served in CA), but the menu just gets better every time.Special Features:
- Curious what all the fuss was aboutpoutylilprissDined on 8/18/2013Had heard of French Laundry for years and had always wanted to try it. Reservations weren't as difficult to obtain as I had been told. If you have flexibility reservations a few days in advance are sometimes possible. The food was great and definitely fresh although I wouldn't consider it 'to die for'. I gave four stars out of five but wish I could give 41/2. The service on the other hand was impressive and unique! 2-3 servers come out at one time and move in sync which is very cool! They describe the food they are presenting very well and they are never snooty or unfriendly. Dinner for four was $2000.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the money it costs toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013For the money it costs to dine here, I wasn't overly impressed. Service was very sloppy, food was good, way too quiet in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Foodie right of passageABCdinersVIPDined on 8/15/2013One of those restaurants you have to try once in your lifetime. Be warned - you might still be hungry by end of meal.Special Features:
- What dreams are made of.JMJ70VIPDined on 8/8/2013Spectacular. The staff is just amazing. The ambiance is simple perfection. The food....don't even know where to start. Delicious does not even begin to describe it. Everything I've heard about this place was true. A meal to remember. A memory for a lifetime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food tables areOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2013excellent food tables are a bit cramped on the 1st floor areaSpecial Features:
- Fine Dining at it's BestposersurferVIPDined on 6/30/2013A perfect fine dining experience. This was our second visit and both visits were incredible.. The wine, food, and service were stellar and the execution flawless. The sommelier always knocks it out of the park regardless of the price point and preferences stated. And the knowledgeable staff have always been able to answer our detailed questions about the food. This is our favorite special occasion spot to fine dine in the U.S.Special Features:
- My Wife's Birthday Celebration:OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2013Yes, from the time we entered until we departed four hours later, it was a delightful, well orchestrated, gastronomical experience that will always be remembered. Thoroughly professional and caring staff. Unique menu - suffice to say that rather than describing the dishes, my wife had the "Chef's Tasting Menu" and I had the "Tasting of Vegetables" so that we could share and taste the wonderful creations of Chef Keller and his staff. Printing "Happy Birthday Kamroon" on both menus was a nice keep-sake. Chef Keller himself wrote: "The act of cooking is a simple equation: Ingredients + Execution." The French Laundry is truly exceptional in both categories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For people that really appreciateDeliciosoVIPDined on 6/15/2013If you really appreciate Excellent Food and you don't care the price this Restaurant have to be in your bucket list to scratch; the service is superior to a regular restaurant and if you put all this in perspective for the number of people serving you is not Expensive. Is one of our most wonderful memories and they make everything so special that they make you want to came back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ExperiencejaphyjonesDined on 6/7/2013The French Laundry offers a great experience. The food, the service, the little touches throughout the meal. This is an a true over the top French meal. The oysters and pearls are classic. I DARE you to order all the supplemental entrees and survive! They done a great job of creating the experience... the way they shave the truffles, the endless array of desserts, the casual elegance... If you can get in the $$ is worth the experience. You will not look back on it with regret. If your are one of those people who complains about the portion on a tasting menu, you will be filled up here, but I hope you don't come cause you are missing the point and are annoying! I appreciated the wine service and their ability to work in my $$$ range.Special Features:
- Indeed, it's all about finess!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2013Never has a dining experience impacted my wife and I as much as at The French Laundry. We were excited for this meal, building it up in our heads for the 2 months following the day we made our much coveted reservations. Worried that our expectations were too high by the time we finally visited the establishment, every moment of the night served only to validate the reputation that Chef Keller and his staff have earned since opening in 1994. Every member of the restaurant's team cared for the place as if it was his or her own. And, as imagined, the food was nothing short of inspiring. Each element of the evening was planned and executed to perfection. We chose TFL to celebrate our 1st anniversary and it was a meal we will never forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets!ScottHVIPDined on 5/25/2013Our first time back in more than a decade and even better this time. Got an Opentable lunch reservation three days in advance. Lunch is a wonderful way to spend your nearly four hours. We ate upstairs looking over the gardens across the street. Our server Milton felt like family by the time we were done and even gave us a kitchen tour. As it was my birthday, they even printed my name and Happy Birthday Scott on the menu - nice touch. Oh, and the food was amazing from the oysters and pearls to the splurge for wagyu. Yes it is crazy expensive but really felt worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience!LyTranDined on 5/23/2013Again this was an experience that was special. Thanks to the staff there making a birthday celebration memorable. Service and employees were very pleasant and near perfect. I would have liked a few things differently, but that is just a search for some flaw in a great service. I have read complaints about not having enough food, but that was not the case for our group. The courses started out really grand and met my high expectations. We had mixed thoughts at the table on the final savory courses. Overall really nice. The only true negative about the meal is that there was a scale in a couple of the 'sea bream' filets. Conclusion, had a great time.Special Features:
- Worth the waitChelaNVIPDined on 5/12/2013There aren't enough superlatives to describe the French Laundry, even the vegetarian menu looked like a treat. Don't miss the 'caviar and pearls', the one menu item that remains the same from day to day, it is a signature dish and well worth it. The service is beyond compare. The ambiance is that of an elegant dinner in a beautiful country house. The sommelier helped us create a wine paring with our meal that was out of this world and included some unusual and delicious wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2013Wonderful, imaginative food, terrific service. Relax in the adjoining courtyard, it's beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/30/2013There are relatively few things in this world that truly live up to the Big Hype when they receive it. This place, however, is one of those exceedingly rare things that not only live up to it, but vastly exceed it. Everything about our visit was perfect. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.