The French Hound
101 South Madison Street
Middleburg, VA 20118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The French Hound
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchhound.com/
- Phone: 5406873018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Limited Menu: Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm (Limited Menu offered 1 hour after Dinner service)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: John-Gustin Birkitt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Federal Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a small parking lot we share with the Piedmont Building next door on Federal Street. There is also parking on the street (no need to feed the meters after 5PM or on Sunday). There are also two metered lots in Middleburg within a short walk to the restaurant; one is to the northeast of the restaurant and one is to the northwest.
A word from The French Hound
Serving French Inspired Bistro Fare in a Relaxed Country Setting. Please come join us for lunch or for dinner in Middleburg.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The French Hound - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The French Hound reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (19)romantic (15)special occasion (13)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (9)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at the restaurant, went there based on reviews. We thought the food was average, but the service was excellent and went above and beyond with a special message and desert for our anniversary. The owner's wife came out to check on us personally. Nice touch. Overall not overly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.FrenchHoundExcellanceDined on 10/18/2014We had a group of 8 meeting for a Saturday lunch. It was a pleasure to be seated before our entire party arrived. Many restaurants make you wait for the entire party to arrive before being seated. We were seated and able to order drinks. The entre was excellent, I had the salmon, and we topped it off with dessert. I had the chocolate crepes with raspberries and cream. We sat and talked for a while and were not rushed to leave the restaurant. A great place for a wonderful get together with friends.Special Features:
- Great Lunch PlaceMaryDined on 10/12/2014We found The French Hound via Open Table while looking for a lunch place in Middleburg. We were seated in the bar, which is small, but the noise level was not intrusive. The service is very good and the food is excellent. It's a place we will definitely try again.Special Features:
- Enjoyed with one minor flaw...Gigi53Dined on 10/10/2014We loved the balance of our meal (especially the lobster risotto = excellent!) and we had a very pleasant waiter. Our issue was the appetizer "pretzels with dijon mustard" or some such. The pretzels were not baked or special, just looked as if they had been poured from a plastic bag bought at the grocery store. Not what we expected :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetsyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful pork loin with fabulous Brussels sprouts slaw and mashed sweet potatoes. A perfect fall meal and all the flavors melded together perfectly.Special Features:
- A Gemdonna14200Dined on 9/30/2014The French Hound is e real find in Middleburg. Located a block off Route 50, you have to hunt for it a little but it's a great little place with "from scratch" French inspired cooking.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerDCBeanGirlDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were in Middleburg to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were fortunate to get a table at the French Hound. The food and atmosphere were fantastic. I would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French Houndcatchwork2Dined on 9/24/2014We had a small party of 6 for a birthday so they gave us a small room just off the bar. Perfect for our celebration. The chef came out to check on us and even made a little birthday surprise for the guest of honor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersJCMLDined on 9/23/2014Our first visit to Middleburg included a dinner at the French Hound. The food was outstanding. The service was attentive but the courses were served much too quickly. I was still drinking my cocktail when dinner was served. Shame, as everything was so good it would have been nicer to relax between each course. Would suggest they look into this as it distracts from an otherwise outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet place, good food.barney16Dined on 9/18/2014It's a charming old home, which is nice, but makes for close quarters with other diners and somewhat noisy. The food was excellent and we would definitely keep this place on our list. It looks like it would be a fun place for lunch too. The menu was small, but well crafted. There was something for everyone.Special Features:
- A nice eveningKittyDined on 9/9/2014The meals we ate had excellent components and some very good ones. It was a nice setting with a very personable server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint lunch spotYellowpurseVIPDined on 9/5/2014Charming old house with fresh food had a delightful lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a friends birthdayAZPapillionDined on 9/3/2014We took our friend here for her birthday and she adored our favorite restaurant. So happy that they not only provided a wonderful meal, but a great setting and fabulous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGrrrowlDined on 8/30/2014Having visited the French Hound previously my friend and I were both disappointed by our dinner there on Saturday last. First, we could only confirm a reservation at 6.00 or 8.30 pm, but when we arrived it seemed there were a number of tables unoccupied. Nevertheless we were shown to a table in an unattractive side room, and our table directly faced the women's rest room (as most people failed to shut the corridor door). Our choices for dinner were also not good: my friend's chicken came topped with a salad which was dressed, even though the chicken was presented in its own sauce. My pasta was glutinous and fairly tasteless. The waiter was civil, but almost threw our cutlery and water glasses onto the bare wooden table.
- Unexpected delightJudyDined on 8/29/2014We "ladies who lunch" decided to try The French Hound because none of us had been there before. The menu was varied, with some surprise choices. We all had the escargots, which were quite good. Next time I'm going to try the lobster pot pie. Yum. All in all a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotTastebudsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Went for lunch, sat outside. Very good service and food was very good; frites were outstanding. All in ll we were very happy to have dined here for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French RestaurantBarbaraDined on 8/1/2014This charming French restaurant offers excellent food and service. There is something on the menu to delight every palate and the specials are always wonderful. On my last visit, I treated my daughter and my friend to lunch. My somewhat finicky daughter always enjoys lunch at The French Hound and my friend, on her first visit, was thoroughly impressed with the entire dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 121 reviews are from the The French Hound reviews archive.
- Good but not greatLampedusa7990VIPDined on 6/8/2014This place fit the bill for brunch. Good enough but not great. The food was acceptable but not exceptional. We would like to give dinner a try.Special Features:
- A gem in Middleburg.tastebuds4funDined on 5/31/2014Very pleasant restaurant. Food was good and quite reasonably priced for such an elegant restaurant, especially for Middleburg. We will be returning with our children and grandchildren on family occasions. We will definitely recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchjp2014Dined on 5/24/2014Everyone inour party found the food execellant. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CountrydinerDined on 5/23/2014While we have enjoyed delicious meals in the past, at our most recent visit the food was way below par. We are not anxious to return which is sad since it is a lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- Fabulous eveninglocalfoodieDined on 5/21/2014The service was wonderful from the minute we stepped in the door - efficient & friendly. The food was beautifully presented, and delicious. We ordered steak-frites, roasted chicken, cheese plate, poached pears, & profiteroles. This restaurant pays attention to detail, which makes the overall experience so pleasant. The cheese plate, for example, is not just slabs of cheese. There is a pretty (and tasty) salad, the cheeses arranged around the plate with the bread settled in between. We had a birthday, and the poached pears came with "bon anniversaire" scripted in chocolate on the plate. The portions are well sized for a big eater. The chef, Jean-Gustin, stepped out to say hello. All wonderful :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the French HoundbristoeDined on 5/16/2014Once you eat here regularly, you are spoiled for any other dining experience. Fantastic food, excellent combinations and a fresh twist on the classics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2014Our Anniversary dinner here was wonderful, but started off a little rocky in my opinion. When we arrived for our reservation, the young woman at the desk was in a discussion with a gentleman (not sure what his position at the restaurant was) about seating of guests. They didn't recognize us when we walked in, and we had to wait until they were finished. Not the best first impression. After we were shown to our table, we had to wait quite a while for our waiter to come by and take drink orders. Bread also didn't arrive until just before our appetizers, and then, without bread plates. Our food was spectacular; The lobster risotto, shrimp pasta, and the roti chicken were lovely. The escargot is to die for! We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional French CuisineUniquelyFrenchDined on 5/3/2014Uniquely French style cooking takes you back to your last visit to a quaint Bistro in Provence where the food is exceptional, the atmosphere is quite and lovely, and the wine is nicely paired with the evening meal. We have been there twice, once for brunch and once for dinner and each time was a great experience. The chef came out to discuss the meal and gave up some of his secrets for how the meal was prepared. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate SurpriseDaveVIPDined on 5/3/2014We have eaten at the French Hound before but this time was not good. My wife had lamb stew Tajine off the menu. It had little or no Lamb in it, was very soupy and a very small portion. This arrived after we had waited 45 minutes between salad and the delivery of our main course. My wife expressed her disappointment so the restaurant didn't charge for that entree which we appreciated. All in all not a good experience.
- A wonderful dinnerjacksondelightsDined on 5/2/2014The food and wine were excellent. We enjoyed visiting with the chef and his wife, owners. It was a delightful experience in a beautiful part of Virginia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Again and Again!DizaruDined on 4/30/2014The French Hound never disappoints. My husband make this a regular spot and always arrange to take our out of town guests here.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodJerabaumVIPDined on 4/24/2014The scallop risotto was excellent and the chocolate mousse. Consistently always a good meal and have dined here numerous times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time Back Still a CharmLATBDined on 4/20/2014Our Easter Sunday brunch was wonderful and reasonably-priced for the two orders of lump crabmeat appetizers; waffle, eggs benedict; salmon eggs benedict; special-of-the-day grilled ham/cheese sandwich topped with poached egg and mornay sauce; fries; and fruit on 3 orders and a bottle of champagne; and three orders of coffee. Total: Appx. $120 (including tip). This time though, there was no bread brought to the table first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and great foodsscheuriDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I spent a wonderful night out far away from our kids and enjoyed our dinner at The French Hound. It was a sleepy Friday night in Middleburg and parking was easy. We expressed a need to see a gluten-free menu - such a thing did not exist BUT our waiter went and consulted the chef for guidance. To our surprise, the chef came out and walked through the menu with us for about five minutes, highlighting any slight or no gluten ingredients in each menu item. Highly recommended and keep an open mind when dining here. Order something you would otherwise NOT make at home - I particularly enjoyed the Moroccan dish on the menu. Lots of flavors going on there.Special Features:
- Don't buy the winenicnicVIPDined on 4/18/2014So I'd heard good things about the French Hound. Middleburg seems to think highly of themselves so I hoped it would live up to the hype. The food was decent. I've had way better French food and much more imaginative menus but decent none the less. As far as the wine list goes....it was horrendous. Not only were they marking their bottles up by about $40 they were serving it at an off putting warm temperature. Red wine should be stored in conditions of 55 degrees. Any good restaurant knows that. This wine had no cellar it was sitting in the hot restaurant and tasted awful as a result. If this weren't bad enough the mark ups were ridiculous. One Virginian wine I can get for $18 was going for a whooping $60. Not worth it.
- Affordable French in MiddleburgPJBandLRBDined on 3/29/2014If you're looking for a hidden gem in Middleburg, the French Hound is it! It's a restored home, one block off the main drag. The restaurant is well preserved, clean, furnished attractively. They have a menu that will please most any diner, even though there are a limited number of choices in each category. The food and service are consistently very good to excellent. Portions are moderately generous. Some stand outs are the mussels and Escargot, The French fries are thin and slightly crisp, without being dry (Just the way I like them.) The best part is for Middleburg, the prices are very reasonable. Try it for a midday brunch. It's quiet and very relaxing.Special Features:
- Charming Beyond BeliefDawnRHopDined on 3/23/2014Booked a party of 8 here to celebrate my father's 80th birthday and everything was PERFECT!! It's as if we had whipped him off to Paris for lunch for the day without suffering jet lag!. The Chef/Owner does an amazing job. A perfect menu, top notch charming service, a great location, perfect décor - it just doesn't get better than this. The location is smack in the middle of where all my siblings live here in Virginia, so I see this as definitely becoming our go to place for all those special family gatherings. We'll definitely be back!! It really felt like an afternoon in Paris - but, better because we all know Virginia, southern hospitality out does the French any day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a try.LATBDined on 3/23/2014Birthday brunch on a Sunday. While not a large menu, there are great choices and specials, including brunch items. My husband had the muscles as an appetizer and the special scallops with risotto. I had the crème of cauliflower soup and the beef French dip (that came with some of the best thin fries I've ever had. We shared the sorbets for dessert (the hibiscus was the best!) The rooms are small and quaint. VERY reasonably priced. Only thing that was a bit strange was the white paper layed over the tablecloth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but a bad tablefloridagirlDined on 3/22/2014I made a reservation for a birthday luncheon for my friend at least a week ahead (neither one of us had been before) and when arrived was seated in the bar area, although it appeared there were tables empty in a more pleasant location, and experienced a noisy lunch. We both found the food and service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little France in MiddlebergRichVIPDined on 3/16/2014The French hound has the look and feel of a true French restaurant in the Virginia hunt country. The dishes are well put together and a wonderful diversion from the usual fare of the normal.Special Features:
- This was our 3rd time at theBeckyDined on 2/28/2014This was our 3rd time at the French Hound and it has stayed consistent over the years! Hopefully it won't be a "few" years till we return but regardless of when it will always be on our list of must dos.Special Features:
- Another Excellent EveningDizaruDined on 2/19/2014The French Hound never disappoints. Everything from start to finish is delicious! Everyone working there could not be nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerDougDined on 2/14/2014Our experience on this special occasion was just average. Arrived 30 minutes before our reservation time and was escorted to the bar where we enhjoyed several drinks as the host forgot about us and had to go find him to ask if our table was ready. The the service was marginal with having to ask for bread plates which took a long tiome and continiously having to find the waiter each time we needed additional food and drink. The food was not exceptional as we remembered from our lunch visit several months back. Maybe I am being to critical but when you pay $200 for dinner for two you expect A+ treatement and food. We will not go back for dionnerSpecial Features: