The French Hen & Wine Bistro
7143 S. Yale
Tulsa, OK 74136Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The French Hen & Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://frenchhentulsa.net/
- Phone: (918) 492-2596
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 am to 10:00 pm Saturday 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Quiet and comfortable, our private dining room will accommodate approximately 50 guests. When planning your special events or business meetings, The French Hen will offer their elegant cuisine and dining experience to your groups. Menus are available to meet your budget or order off our restaurant menu. Whatever your occasion we are here to make sure you and your guests are satisfied. Audio/Visual equipment is available.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Bondy 9184922596
- Special Events: The French Hen has a private dining room that can accommodate up to 45 guests.
A word from The French Hen & Wine Bistro
The French Hen is nestled in Lighthouse Shopping Center at 71st and Yale. The restaurant is owned and operated by Kathy Bondy. Our cozy and comfortable atmosphere is tastefully decorated in French Country style with seating for 95 inside the restaurant, or enjoy our outdoor patio seating area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Hen & Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)romantic (7)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/22/2014Dined here many times and surprised at slow service. Only one server on a Monday night that was unusually busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hidden Spot!HootDined on 9/13/2014The French Hen & Bistro is a wonderful place for a romantic dinner. Food is absolutely fabulous and the service is wonderful as well. My only complaint is that, as with many restaurants, the noise level is higher than I would have liked. Still, it remains a favorite place to dine.Special Features:
- A French gem in TulsasctrzynkaDined on 9/13/2014Classy setting and a nice dining patio. Varied wine and drink selection. Staff was friendly and very professional. Love the 'open kitchen' with a large window where you can see the chefs preparing the food. Nice menu selection. Food preparation was authentic French an opposed to fusion. Servings/portions are large; I'd recommend ordering appetizers to share among several people.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Visit just okay52FoodieDined on 9/10/2014I hadn't been to The French Hen in two years, so we used Restaurant Week as a good reason to try this Tulsa staple. Most of the food was excellent, but the chicken was supposed to be served on risotto but came served on wild rice. When we asked our waiter, he seemed surprised but didn't offer to correct the mistake. The chicken was flavorful and so were the appetizers and desserts, but the steak was very chewy and a bit less quality than we would normally expect from this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food and servicechap621VIPDined on 9/10/2014They care about food and its delivery to their customers. Every dish was carefully prepared and well served. Wait staff was friendly and personable.Special Features:
- Great Place for a Special OccasionEatingOutFanDined on 9/8/2014A friend and I celebrated my birthday during Restaurant Week. The meatloaf was awesome. The ambiance was very comfortable. We like to go there for special occasions. Their Bread Pudding is great--very tasty.Special Features:
- FishyMRTVDined on 9/5/2014One of our favorite restaurants. The waiter was terrific, but made an error in describing one of the specials, Opah, as being flaky like Halibut. It was actually like swordfish steak and unfortunately very fishy tasting. It should have been sent back but wasn't. Perhaps fish should be sampled daily by the chef, since it won't be fresh, before serving the public.Special Features:
- Wonderful, as usualKraggsDined on 8/16/2014Never a less than great meal! Always wonderful wait-staff. The wine recommended for me, was the first time any place got it right! Just love to eat there!Special Features:
- Good but not great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/4/2014The service was very good other than when my waiter became involved in a very lengthy conversation with the patrons at the next table. Afterwards my French onion soup arrived lukewarm. This may be because it sat waiting, or it could have simply been the preparation. I found the broth rather uninspired but the preparation was otherwise nice. I thoroughly enjoyed the seafood special; halibut with a portobello and escargot vin blanc sauce with rice and grilled asparagus. The halibut was a bit overcooked but otherwise it was excellent. Wines by the glass were also excellent although the selection was somewhat limited. The cheese plate for dessert was very nice but much more than I could eat. Overall, an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- The following 105 reviews are from the The French Hen & Wine Bistro reviews archive.
- Adore this place!TravelerDined on 6/27/2014I was here many years ago and it made such an impression that I always wanted to go back (we don't live in Tulsa). Well I finally had the opportunity to eat there again and was not disappointed! Our waiter was attentive and helpful and the food was excellent. Our wine was divine and the ambience of the restaurant was fabulous. We'll be planning a return trip to Tulsa just so we can eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMaxineDined on 6/17/2014After dining in numerous French Bistros in Dallas and NYC, The French Hen was extremely disappointing. The food was not fresh, overcooked and dry. I did not order the oysters because when I asked from what area they came from, I was told that they were canned! The squid was heavily battered and over fried and the quail was dried out. Also, the French Onion soup tasted canned. Definitely not the high standards that French cuisine usually demands. If you are a discriminating diner, I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealPayton34Dined on 6/5/2014Great anniversary dinner! Amazing seafood cheesecake appetizer and the tenderloin (with truffles) was perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/20/2014I visit Tulsa several times a year for business. The French Hen is an ideal place for a business dinner with great food, good wine list, attentive unobtrusive servers, and a quiet atmosphere for discussionSpecial Features:
- Business lunchdgxoVIPDined on 5/12/2014I wanted a nice spot for a business lunch with clients. The restaurant was perfect for this type of a lunch. Very good menu, though no vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014I've been a couple times and was not incredibly impressed. I mean, it was good but not outstanding. Mother's Day? OMG!! I had the crab and tomato Benedict and it was the BEST I've ever had in my life! Best Mother's Day meal ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2014I found this place on OT and liked the menu. I arrived for Lunch a little after noon on a Friday and was shocked to find it empty. My server did not know what the specials were (at noon). I ordered the fried oysters and the scallop salad. The oysters were ok - nothing special (overpriced). The scallop salad came with 2 scallops which were cut in half to make it look like you get more. The scallops were cooked perfectly, but the rest of the dish was a disappointment. A sea of raw red onions and tomatoes border the relatively small salad. The red onions were potent and overpowered the scallops (I had to move them far away). For the price, I expected more. Maybe it was an off day; maybe it's better at dinner. I, however, will not be returning.
- Will go againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014This was my second time and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. The food was excellent and just overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old FavoriteTnttownVIPDined on 3/28/2014The French Hen has been a Tulsa institution for about as long as I've lived here. It's gone through owner and chef changes, but the food is still decidedly french in nature. I love being able to get a classic pate or souffle every once in awhile. Escargot is always a menu favorite as well. I found the service a little slow during our last visit, but our waiter may have just been judging the mood at our table which was quite relaxed and slow paced. When ever you need a hit of French charm, French Hen should be your go-to restaurant.Special Features:
- DelightfulKKDinerDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I had a delightful experience dining at the French Hen. Our server was particularly outstanding, but everything was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewIcebergDined on 2/15/2014Great intimate setting for that special occasion, for us it was valentines day. Dinner for two and a bottle of wine ran us about $180. Service was as you would expect for a $$$$ establishment. The food didn't disappoint either. We enjoyed shrimp appetizers, steak and sea bass. Make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two out of SixOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Between myself and my spouse we ordered 7 items from the menu (Foie Gras appetizer, Salad, French Onion Soup, Hallibut & Scallops and for desert Creme Brulee) The Foie Gras was excellent as well as the Hallibut. The french onion soup tasted like it was out of a soup can. The scallops were overcooked and the Creme Brulee was okay though it was served in a small deep bowl as opposed to a shallow custard bowl. The whole point of Creme Brulee is that you take advantage of the sugar crust. It should be served in a bowl that favors more of the crust than the custard. That's why people order it.Special Features:
- Never Going BackNeverGoingBackDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's Dinner, after every employee passed by our table at least twice our waiter finally stopped to greet us and take our drink order about 10-15 mins after we had been seated. I ordered strip and fried shrimp and wife had lamb over some type of white beans. Shrimp were good, steak was OK, wife said her lamb was alright but the beans were under cooked and crunchy. I just expected more out of what is considered "fine dining". Next time I decide to spend 200$ on a meal in Tulsa I will go back to Mahagony Prime where I should have on Valentine's
- Great atmosphereRondoDined on 2/14/2014Everything a quality restaurant should be. Service, Food, Ambience. Went for New Years eve and Valentines day. Definately will return and recommend to anyone who enjoys a relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not prepared for the rush!ValentineDined on 2/14/2014I made our Valentine's Day reservations at the French Hen with some trepidation after reading the other reviews. It turns out they were pretty spot on. This place has obviously been doing something right for a long time to remain in business for so many years, but it appears they just cannot deal with the rush of high volume dining days. I requested a quiet table and received a table right by the kitchen where the waiters were constantly coming and going and the food orders were being shouted to the cooks. Service was slow and not thorough. Our waiter first attended to other tables that were seated after we arrived. The "Prime" strip was about Texas Roadhouse quality. Disappointing to say the least!
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have gone to the French Hen for Valentines day the last couple of years. It is always a great dinning experience with good food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been dining here forLuv2travelDined on 2/13/2014We've been dining here for 27 years and still love it! They were a little short staffed and had trouble getting our water refilled, getting the check and paid out, but the food was superb and worth the small inconveniences. It's our favorite for fine dining in Tulsa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Find.ScudjackDined on 2/12/2014Our visit was outstanding. Price, quality, atmosphere, all there! Will definitely go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant DinningWmDSDined on 2/1/2014The food and service is always excellent, but the dessert soufflé duo is to die far. It takes about 20 minutes to prepare, so plan on spending time visiting after you finish your meal, or order it early, but don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014We had an outstanding meal and the service was amazing. The duck breast was phenomenal and so was the chicken dijon! Our waitress was the best we have had in years. So attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menu options andmedboyILVIPDined on 12/31/2013Excellent menu options and extremely attentive and friendly service without being overbearing. This was a great choice for our New Year's Eve dinner! The salmon over bed of rice and mushrooms, as well as the duck over scalloped potatoes, were both delicious. The dessert options were also outstanding, with our choices being the selection of berry sorbets and the poached pear over mousse au chocolat. Highly recommended and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for a romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Wonderful place for a romantic dinner or a celebration. We loved our meals I had one of the specials of the evening Dover Sole and my husband had the Prime Steak. Excellent !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedexperienceddinerDined on 12/31/2013Maybe because it was New Years Eve, but the restaurant did not not come close to expectations. Service was extremely inattentive (the waiter paid much more attention to the tables purchasing drinks). Food was only a little above average - I never had escargot that was served on a bed of spaghetti and not in a garlic butter sauce. The salad was on the menu with walnut goat cheese and we never saw or tasted walnut or goat cheese. For the prices, we would have received top service and spectacular food. Very little chance we will go back again.
- A bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013We have been dining at the French Hen for about 25 years. We made a reservation because we enjoy the small bistro like ambiance and the food and service have been very good. We were shocked to be told we would be seated in the "annex" which looks like converted office space with some cheap folding tables and tacky decor. The boom box above our head was way too loud. The room was full of large parties of senior citizens shining flashlights on their menus and screaming at each other. So much for ambiance. There was one waiter for all the tables, service was slow, we had to ask twice for our drinks, which were then told was unavailable . The lobster bisque and salad were good. I did not get what I ordered, ate it anyway so we could leave.
- Reservation Not ValidDennisDined on 12/31/2013French Hen waited until the day of the reservation and called me about six hours before to say there was a mix up and no reservation was available.
- Perfect New Year's EveScottDined on 12/31/2013The service, food, made this. Perfect place to bring in the new year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family holiday dinnertzachVIPDined on 12/27/2013It has been awhile since we've been back to the French Hen and again we were not disappointed. We had 6 in our group for dinner on the Friday after Christmas and every appetizer and main course was absolutely excellent. We enjoyed fried quail - it was not over cooked, diver scallops -perfectly seared, duck breast - scrumptious, chicken divan - oh so tender, Dover sole and lobster just perfect! Definitely recommend this long outstanding Tulsa restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food - Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/26/2013If I could review the food alone, this place would receive 4.5 - 5 stars! However, it was such an odd experience. We booked an 8:45 reservation for 7 on a Thursday night. We walked in & it was EMPTY. They had not checked their system & they weren't expecting us - not a great sign. We were seated near the kitchen & it was obvious the cooks were not excited - very unwelcoming. We had 2 bottles of wine, salads, soups, entrees & dessert - french onion duck, fried quail, sea bass, salmon, trout, ribeye - we all RAVED about how delicious it all tasted. Promptly at 10 pm, the music was turned off & it was clear they wanted us out, which is not the reaction you expect when you spend $500+. The ambiance does a serious disservice to the food.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodjustinnDined on 12/20/2013My wife and I came in for our anniversary. This was the single best meal of my life. I'm sure The French Hen will be a place we continue to visit for special occasions for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisitePamelaDined on 12/14/2013The escargo was perfectly cooked. The beef tenderloin rossini was the best entree i have ever had in my entire life and the dessert was amazing. It is worth the price and they give you plenty of food can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The French onion soup wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013The French onion soup was the worst we have ever tasted. On a cold night and celebrating a special occasion, we were lookin forward to that. We certainly did not expect what we were served. Not overly impressed with the experience. The wait staff and ambience were great, but if the food is a disappointment you don't go back! I know we won't .