The French Gourmet
960 Turquoise Street
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The French Gourmet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchgourmet.com/
- Phone: 8584881725x316
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Daily: 8:00am -3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00 - 9:00pm (Closed Monday nights)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Malecot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Also a versatile San Diego catering company, our products are all prepared fresh daily on the premises. The dishes conjured up in our kitchen reflect a commitment to originality, freshness and the celebration of taste. Our knowledgeable sales team will work with you to create a menu and style that will compliment your event and your budget. As a local catering company, we can provide you with china, glassware, place settings, equipment rentals, servers and bartenders, and much more.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant is available for private parties on Sunday and Monday evenings. We host large parties all the time in our restaurant even during regular service. Custom menus available. Consider us for your bridal shower, office holiday party or organization's meeting spot!
- Private Party Contact: Michel Malecot 8779263990
A word from The French Gourmet
Our restaurant serves California-influenced French cuisine in a quaint countryside environment. We are a long-time favorite of locals who appreciate the value of the menu and our extensive wine list. After three decades of serving our clients, it is as much an honor and a privilege, as it is a reassurance to know, that while culinary trends come and go, appreciation and dedication to quality endure.Continued
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Gourmet reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (19)romantic (16)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Very nice.SpatsDined on 10/18/2014We got a booth which was a little tight but with a nice window view. I was not a fan of the vinyl table cloth which is the only reason for the 4 star. The food was very good and presented well. Great wine list. I think this restaurant prefers reservations be made over walk-ins. We will be back.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014My husband and I came here for Restaurant week and very much enjoyed our meals. The service was great and the food was very yummy. The only thing I wished different was that the portion sizes were a bit large for us, given that it was a three-course meal. So slightly smaller would have been better, but everything was very good.Special Features:
- Classic FrenchmustangVIPDined on 9/30/2014Excellent bakery up front. Good service, and well executed French food. Escargots in garlicky butter sauce, duck confit with vegetables. Salmon with papaya sauce were excellent, tasty. Nice wine list, chose Pommard Les Epenots. Expresso was over priced at $3.50.Special Features:
- Delectable foodHappyMealDined on 9/27/2014A group of four of us dined here during restaurant week. The escargot, onion soup, and green-lipped mussels were all delicious appetizers. The surf'n turf and rack of lamb were mouthwatering, so scrumptious! Last, but not least, the desserts were heavenly. We LOVED our meals and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- great!!teresaDined on 9/27/2014We had a great time and the food was great! Our server was awesome!! Perfect amount of food and dessert was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammDined on 9/25/2014Great food and service! The menu for Restaurant week was definitely very enticing, many great selections and something for everyone. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French food, service, wineKtravelerDined on 9/23/2014As always, found the food here to be fabulous, service efficient even though restaurant is small and always busy. Recommendations of our waiter for food and wine were spot on. Definitely recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week Gem!KookyGirlDined on 9/22/2014i tried escargot for the first time & it was delicious! My entree was Duck Confit & i knew by the aroma i was going to Love this dish! the duck was so tender, just fell off the bone! the Pinot Blanc from France was so smooth, it is now my most favorite white wine! the bakery has items you can only find in France! the bagettes that are served before & during dinner are gloriously fresh! the espresso is perfect! the dessert options are phenomenal! the servers are amazing! Definitely going back to this little gem 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014I have eaten at the French Gourmet a few times and have always enjoyed the food. I was a bit surprised that the string beans they served seemed to be canned. I always remember having fresh vegetables served with the entree. It seemed that the food overall was not up to par like in the past.
- Great dealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014$32 for 3 course dinner with beef fillet and a lobster tail for SD restaurant week. Good service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alohasdVIPDined on 9/19/2014Very slow service from an undermanned dining room staff. Salmon was good; sword fish overlooked, hence dry. Not up to what the FG was in the past.
- great neighborhood findlarryDined on 9/12/2014great french restaurant in North PB, captured the flavor of french food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edge of La Jolla CharmerSymilarianDined on 9/11/2014This is definetly a neighborhood gem. The staff goes out of it's way to make sure your dining experience is the best. Their Prefixe offer on the menu has to be the best deal in town. Simply Excellent.Special Features:
- Second VisitjvsniderVIPDined on 8/31/2014I've dined at The French Gourmet twice and both times were excellent. And such a great value. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- So DisappointedPenelopeDined on 8/19/2014A special Birthday Dinner turned out to be a bad mistake. Appetzers were wrong - waited for the correct ones only to find the escargot burned in their attempt to "broil" them for fast turn around. Liver and onions were smothered in a gravy which I had never experienced before. Very slow service - very disappointed when we even told them when reserving through Opentable that it was a "birthday" celebration....went unnoticed. We won't be back when we visit our summer home in Pacific Beach.
- Great for Date!foodforfunDined on 8/16/2014This would be a wonderful spot for a couple to have dinner. French food is always romantic and this place is no exception.Special Features:
- Great finding!RTerraDined on 8/14/2014Awesome food and ambiance! It just became one of my favorite spots in SD! Great bakery too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestpaulDined on 8/5/2014Totally a "10" experience. Maybe a .01takeaway for the wait for coffee refill :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceColoradoDined on 7/31/2014Great tasting halibut & filet mignon. Wonderful service, not snooty at all. Nice ambiance. with good tip, glass of wine and two dinners, ~$100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Rare? Maybe not.Food4ThoughtDined on 7/26/2014My friend ordered a steak medium rare. It came out more rare than anything. Actually, more like a slab of tartare with a giant vein of gristle right in the middle of it. She sent it back for a different cut and for a little more cooking to it. It took almost 30 mins to get it back. By then everyone else in the party was done and she had to take her steak home. Service was slow. Three servers tried to be attentive to a full restaurant, but we felt forgotten at times. Food was good, but they need to either hire more servers or keep better tabs on their clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJJayDined on 7/5/2014The food,was terrific...great service too. We,really enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:
- Prix fix Special MenuLeLa2pupsDined on 7/2/2014I upgraded my dinner to the Halibut for $2.00 extra. It was cooked perfectly, and my waiter was Stephan. The service , food and ambience was exceptional. I was 15 minutes early for my reservation, I had to wait for a table to open, it was worth the wait. Since I was dining alone, I was glad to be seated in a booth near the back of the dining room. Very private. The Resturant was packed, and everyone was having a great time! My husband was out sailing, and what's a girl to do for dinner, but take herself out to our neighborhood gem! I suggest you make reservations for this wonderful Resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisd to be disappointedjoanVIPDined on 7/1/2014This has always been a great place to dine. Shockingly, this one time, lunch was horrible. Crepes were like rubber. Difficult to even swallow. Nothing delicate about what should be a delicate dish.Special Features:
- MrFoodieDined on 6/29/2014Very good food at reasonable prices. Nice fixed prixe menu -- $26 for 3 courses. Awesome desserts from the pastery case.Special Features:
- Great diningroger5155Dined on 6/29/2014Our preference is to have Sunday lunch at the French Gourmet. Everything they do is excellent. We have invited friends in several occasions to join us. They were very impressed with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 315 reviews are from the The French Gourmet reviews archive.
- Great find!GolferGirlVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first visit to The French Gourmet and we will definitely return! The service was wonderful - Stefan was so pleasant and friendly! Our food was delicious. Try the onion soup! Yummy! I had the duck confit and my husband had one of the chicken dishes - both excellant! We then had creme brulee and chocolate cake for dessert - sooooo good! For $25 for 3 courses, this place is beyond amazing! Parking can be tough but other than that, nothing negative to say!Special Features:
- Nice menu very slow serviceLu222Dined on 6/13/2014Food was great but the waiting staff seemed to spend most of their time out of sight in the kitchen. Very slow service. The menu was great and the food was good but the service or lack of it meant I would be unlikely to go back. Maybe breakfast / brunch would be better?
- noisycindiesueVIPDined on 6/7/2014our favorite little spot has been spoiled. There was a table of completely over served women who made our favorite neighborhood spot very disapppointing. Service was slow, and food was not like it was last summer when our last visit was.
- Always goodCTLeftyVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food here is delightful. It is always different but great. And the desserts are a perfect way to end the meal.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!RosieDined on 6/6/2014Dan enjoyed steak and eggs while I had the salad nicoise. Both were delicious!Special Features:
- Took great care of uszipporahVIPDined on 5/24/2014First time that we took our infant to French Gourmet and they had specifically reserved two separate tables for us to choose from. That's a great way to start off impressing a new mom and dad! Food was wonderful, as always. We look forward to continuing to visit this wonderful little place for years to come.Special Features:
- French Gourmet; a neighborhood gemladylimeyDined on 5/17/2014We have been going to The French Gourmet in Pacific Beach on & off for years, but in trying new restaurants we had not eaten there for some time. We are there on Saturday night and were delighted to re-discover what an excellent restaurant this is. They have a Prix Fixe menu for $25.95 which has a large selection of items and is very good value. My husband had the Duck Leg Confit and I had Mediterranean Chicken both of which were fabulous. They are rightly known for their wonderful pastries. The service is excellent and the small restaurant has a lovely ambiance. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Gem in Pacific BeachEnophileDined on 5/17/2014Needed a relatively inexpensive venue with good food for a social event for 4 people lasting about 2 hours in PB and this met all requirements. All of us decided to do the $25.95 fixed price 3-course menu option and all choices turned out to be very tasty, but the salmon and mahi-mahi dishes were somewhat overcooked. Martinis before dinner were a little dilute, probably because the vodka & gin were too warm and melted too much ice during the shaking process. Wine list was a bit limited but a relatively nice 2005 Grand Cru Bordeaux for under $60 was a pleasant surprise and turned out to be quite food friendly.`There was one extremely noisy table but the wait staff were very friendly and the little place is definitely worth a second visit!Special Features:
- Inconsistent FoodrockyyrockkDined on 5/11/2014I've been here multiple times and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's horrible. I have been there 5 times, and twice it's been so bad I've left feeling I needed to go buy an actual dinner from somewhere else. When it's good, it's amazing. However, the inconsistent food and services makes me not want to come back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- mother's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We were seated at a table near the bathroom, which was slightly annoying. The restaurant's table layout seemed a bit cramped, like they crammed a way too many tables in too small of a space. The food was delicious though and I would come here again, without my kids this time, so I can enjoy myself more.Special Features:
- Great French RestaurantChrisDined on 5/2/2014This is the best French Restaurant in San Diego hands down. Cozy, warm, delicious with excellent service. Their desserts are to die for. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- cozy FrenchjoanVIPDined on 4/28/2014Small cozy restaurant owned by a real Frenchman...and the food reflects his good cooking.Special Features:
- Charming French RestaurantinternationalfoodieDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant has delicious food, great desserts, an intimate atmosphere, and the prices are good, too. It has it's own parking right next door (didn't know it until too late). The service was friendly as well. It was my daughter's birthday and she got an extra treat to take home. We will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014feels like grandmas kitchen and cooking. good place to have decent french food. love the wine list.
- good fooddinnerDined on 4/12/2014great food. gray place. nothing else needs to be said. cannot beat this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.