The French Gourmet
960 Turquoise Street
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
The French Gourmet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchgourmet.com/
- Phone: 8584881725x316
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Daily: 8:00am -3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00 - 9:00pm (Closed Monday nights)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Malecot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Also a versatile San Diego catering company, our products are all prepared fresh daily on the premises. The dishes conjured up in our kitchen reflect a commitment to originality, freshness and the celebration of taste. Our knowledgeable sales team will work with you to create a menu and style that will compliment your event and your budget. As a local catering company, we can provide you with china, glassware, place settings, equipment rentals, servers and bartenders, and much more.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant is available for private parties on Sunday and Monday evenings. We host large parties all the time in our restaurant even during regular service. Custom menus available. Consider us for your bridal shower, office holiday party or organization's meeting spot!
- Private Party Contact: Michel Malecot 8779263990
A word from The French Gourmet
Our restaurant serves California-influenced French cuisine in a quaint countryside environment. We are a long-time favorite of locals who appreciate the value of the menu and our extensive wine list. After three decades of serving our clients, it is as much an honor and a privilege, as it is a reassurance to know, that while culinary trends come and go, appreciation and dedication to quality endure.Continued
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Breakfast and Lunch served daily; Dinner Tues-Sat.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Gourmet reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (13)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (7)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- So DisappointedPenelopeDined on 8/19/2014A special Birthday Dinner turned out to be a bad mistake. Appetzers were wrong - waited for the correct ones only to find the escargot burned in their attempt to "broil" them for fast turn around. Liver and onions were smothered in a gravy which I had never experienced before. Very slow service - very disappointed when we even told them when reserving through Opentable that it was a "birthday" celebration....went unnoticed. We won't be back when we visit our summer home in Pacific Beach.
- Great for Date!foodforfunDined on 8/16/2014This would be a wonderful spot for a couple to have dinner. French food is always romantic and this place is no exception.Special Features:
- Great finding!RTerraDined on 8/14/2014Awesome food and ambiance! It just became one of my favorite spots in SD! Great bakery too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestpaulDined on 8/5/2014Totally a "10" experience. Maybe a .01takeaway for the wait for coffee refill :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceColoradoDined on 7/31/2014Great tasting halibut & filet mignon. Wonderful service, not snooty at all. Nice ambiance. with good tip, glass of wine and two dinners, ~$100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Rare? Maybe not.Food4ThoughtDined on 7/26/2014My friend ordered a steak medium rare. It came out more rare than anything. Actually, more like a slab of tartare with a giant vein of gristle right in the middle of it. She sent it back for a different cut and for a little more cooking to it. It took almost 30 mins to get it back. By then everyone else in the party was done and she had to take her steak home. Service was slow. Three servers tried to be attentive to a full restaurant, but we felt forgotten at times. Food was good, but they need to either hire more servers or keep better tabs on their clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJJayDined on 7/5/2014The food,was terrific...great service too. We,really enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:
- Prix fix Special MenuLeLa2pupsDined on 7/2/2014I upgraded my dinner to the Halibut for $2.00 extra. It was cooked perfectly, and my waiter was Stephan. The service , food and ambience was exceptional. I was 15 minutes early for my reservation, I had to wait for a table to open, it was worth the wait. Since I was dining alone, I was glad to be seated in a booth near the back of the dining room. Very private. The Resturant was packed, and everyone was having a great time! My husband was out sailing, and what's a girl to do for dinner, but take herself out to our neighborhood gem! I suggest you make reservations for this wonderful Resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisd to be disappointedjoanVIPDined on 7/1/2014This has always been a great place to dine. Shockingly, this one time, lunch was horrible. Crepes were like rubber. Difficult to even swallow. Nothing delicate about what should be a delicate dish.Special Features:
- MrFoodieDined on 6/29/2014Very good food at reasonable prices. Nice fixed prixe menu -- $26 for 3 courses. Awesome desserts from the pastery case.Special Features:
- Great diningroger5155Dined on 6/29/2014Our preference is to have Sunday lunch at the French Gourmet. Everything they do is excellent. We have invited friends in several occasions to join us. They were very impressed with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!GolferGirlVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first visit to The French Gourmet and we will definitely return! The service was wonderful - Stefan was so pleasant and friendly! Our food was delicious. Try the onion soup! Yummy! I had the duck confit and my husband had one of the chicken dishes - both excellant! We then had creme brulee and chocolate cake for dessert - sooooo good! For $25 for 3 courses, this place is beyond amazing! Parking can be tough but other than that, nothing negative to say!Special Features:
- Nice menu very slow serviceLu222Dined on 6/13/2014Food was great but the waiting staff seemed to spend most of their time out of sight in the kitchen. Very slow service. The menu was great and the food was good but the service or lack of it meant I would be unlikely to go back. Maybe breakfast / brunch would be better?
- noisycindiesueVIPDined on 6/7/2014our favorite little spot has been spoiled. There was a table of completely over served women who made our favorite neighborhood spot very disapppointing. Service was slow, and food was not like it was last summer when our last visit was.
- Always goodCTLeftyVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food here is delightful. It is always different but great. And the desserts are a perfect way to end the meal.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!RosieDined on 6/6/2014Dan enjoyed steak and eggs while I had the salad nicoise. Both were delicious!Special Features:
- Took great care of uszipporahVIPDined on 5/24/2014First time that we took our infant to French Gourmet and they had specifically reserved two separate tables for us to choose from. That's a great way to start off impressing a new mom and dad! Food was wonderful, as always. We look forward to continuing to visit this wonderful little place for years to come.Special Features:
- French Gourmet; a neighborhood gemladylimeyDined on 5/17/2014We have been going to The French Gourmet in Pacific Beach on & off for years, but in trying new restaurants we had not eaten there for some time. We are there on Saturday night and were delighted to re-discover what an excellent restaurant this is. They have a Prix Fixe menu for $25.95 which has a large selection of items and is very good value. My husband had the Duck Leg Confit and I had Mediterranean Chicken both of which were fabulous. They are rightly known for their wonderful pastries. The service is excellent and the small restaurant has a lovely ambiance. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Gem in Pacific BeachEnophileDined on 5/17/2014Needed a relatively inexpensive venue with good food for a social event for 4 people lasting about 2 hours in PB and this met all requirements. All of us decided to do the $25.95 fixed price 3-course menu option and all choices turned out to be very tasty, but the salmon and mahi-mahi dishes were somewhat overcooked. Martinis before dinner were a little dilute, probably because the vodka & gin were too warm and melted too much ice during the shaking process. Wine list was a bit limited but a relatively nice 2005 Grand Cru Bordeaux for under $60 was a pleasant surprise and turned out to be quite food friendly.`There was one extremely noisy table but the wait staff were very friendly and the little place is definitely worth a second visit!Special Features:
- Inconsistent FoodrockyyrockkDined on 5/11/2014I've been here multiple times and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's horrible. I have been there 5 times, and twice it's been so bad I've left feeling I needed to go buy an actual dinner from somewhere else. When it's good, it's amazing. However, the inconsistent food and services makes me not want to come back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- mother's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We were seated at a table near the bathroom, which was slightly annoying. The restaurant's table layout seemed a bit cramped, like they crammed a way too many tables in too small of a space. The food was delicious though and I would come here again, without my kids this time, so I can enjoy myself more.Special Features:
- The following 304 reviews are from the The French Gourmet reviews archive.
- Great French RestaurantChrisDined on 5/2/2014This is the best French Restaurant in San Diego hands down. Cozy, warm, delicious with excellent service. Their desserts are to die for. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- cozy FrenchjoanVIPDined on 4/28/2014Small cozy restaurant owned by a real Frenchman...and the food reflects his good cooking.Special Features:
- Charming French RestaurantinternationalfoodieDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant has delicious food, great desserts, an intimate atmosphere, and the prices are good, too. It has it's own parking right next door (didn't know it until too late). The service was friendly as well. It was my daughter's birthday and she got an extra treat to take home. We will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooddinnerDined on 4/12/2014great food. gray place. nothing else needs to be said. cannot beat this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great services and foodsHappyDined on 4/12/2014Great greeting and services by a waiter. This place really reminds me of the country style French cuisine in France. We loved your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable PerformerSANTROMDined on 4/9/2014The French Gourmet has been creating great food for a long time. The quality is always consistent and the staff is friendly…they seem to actually enjoy what they do! Moderately priced with a great dessert selection. This is a consistent experience to recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our dependable French RestaurantcarrieVIPDined on 4/5/2014As usual...really good and innovative food. More consideration should be given when charging another corkage for a second bottle of wine....we would all go more often as a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014We love the French Gourmet and eat there every time we are in LaJolla, CA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemSDFoodiesVIPDined on 3/28/2014So happy we finally gave this lovely spot a try. Excellent food. Excellent service and amazin desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2014We had a great dinner at the French Gourmet. Our waiter was very engaging and helpful. The fixed-price menu was very reasonably priced. After a week in San Diego. This was our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We like it!SVjbVIPDined on 3/13/2014Prix fixe menu very reasonable and delicious. Range of choices for seafood, meat or veggie lovers. Greasy wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerLeonardDined on 3/13/2014Energetic service marked the evening of our anniversary. Flowers awaited our arrival which I ordered through Open Table. Stephan was gracious and attentive to everything. A few classic French dishes are on the menu with a Mediterranean mix. The smoked herring potato salad is exceptional. I had the special, a Mahi Mahi with raspberry sauce, risotto and Brussels sprouts. An excellent combo of tart and spice, sweet and bitter with the buttery fish. My wife had the scallops in a tomato sauce with potatoes gratin which seemed very Italian but maybe common in Provence. Despite rumors of bad service the night was excellent. The food is not over the top but made excellent use of local ingredients with French rustic flare. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't be betterKD2014Dined on 3/12/2014Wait service by Stephane and the food that arrived as a result could not better. We had the duck confit and the monkfish, both new to us and worth recommending. The restaurant is small, so tables are closely spaced, and there was a community food event going on the night we were there, so our ambience and noise ratings go down a notch, but the food and service more than made up for it on our visit to celebrate our anniversary. PS: Parking is on the street, so allow a little extra time to find a parking place nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualroger5155Dined on 2/22/2014We have dined at the French Gourmet many times. We have never been disappointed. We highly recommend it for an adventure in cuisine as well as the fine service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHollyDined on 2/14/2014I am very sad to say that dining at French Gourmet was a great disappointment. Our server was very attentive to diners around us who arrived later. The bread arrived without the Brie en Croute and was not brought until we asked for it. The Pomegranite Granite was delicious but, difficult to consume with a fork. No spoons were offered. My wife had been looking forward to Lobster. It was so tough and stringy that she was unable to eat it! Her Au gratin potatoes were undercooked and inedible. The only saving grace was the Escargot which, was very good. The price of this meal was far too great for the quality and not one that we will repeat. Sincere regrets.
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/8/2014I've been interested to try The French Gourmet for some time and finally did on Saturday. I was very pleased. The food was excellent and the entire dining experience was very good. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My dad and I had a very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014My dad and I had a very nice dinner last night - excellent food and service, and the prix fixe dinner is a terrific deal. My salmon with bearnaise sauce was delicious - so was my beet salad - my dad loved his short ribs. We will be back!Special Features:
- DeliciousBeerDined on 2/7/2014Took my wife here for an early valentines day to beat the reservation fiasco and overpricing. We were seated shortly after arriving. The wait staff looked a bit understaffed when we arrived (1 guy for all tables) but during our meal, another waiter appeared and assisted when the place got busy. The food was very good and priced very reasonably, which was extra nice considering we're poor due to children siphoning our money and sanity. My wife noted that the french onion soup was amazing. She has not been able to find a french onion soup that beats what we had at the intercontinental hotel in Paris, until that night. Definitely recommend the place. The food is very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very friendly atmosphere andbennyd43Dined on 1/31/2014very friendly atmosphere and good service,the food was very good,I had the flat iron stake just perfectly cooked med/well. Must caution you, make reservation if possible, seating is limited . would recommend this restaurant anytime, I give it 5 stars.Special Features: