The French Coast
473 Amsterdam ave
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The French Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchcoast.com/
- Phone: 2123628555
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Nacer Gacem
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The French Coast
The French Coast was inspired by the cooking our Executive Chef and owner, Nacer Gacem, witnessed in his mother’s kitchen in Algeria and Southern France. Coupled with his love for travel and all things touching the Mediterranean Sea, the cuisine is a based in French traditions and blended with taste inspirations from countries around the coast like Spain, Italy, Morocco, Greece… Our passion for good flavors, quality ingredients, fun atmosphere, and great times has been brought to life in The French Coast. Bienvenue!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The French Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
- Wonderful neighborhood spotSharonaVIPDined on 12/13/2013A perfect evening. Delicious food, lovely service, quiet, amazing ambiance, fantastic prices, blocks from home. Loved the two person bar-style seating area in the window. What more could you want? Definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great!catgirlflVIPDined on 12/11/2013The place was mostly empty on a wednesday night, which was amazing. This restaurant deserves crowds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in NYCThereseDined on 11/21/2013I have been to French Coast many times for dinner. It's my favorite because it reminds me of dining on the Left Bank in Paris. We have always had a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backninaVIPDined on 11/1/2013Not the first time I went -- a different experience entirely They changed their menu - same prices/small plates now My food was highly salted and not particularly good Service was surly and uninterested I won't go back
- Paris on AmsterdamThereseDined on 10/25/2013We just returned from Paris and I love going there because it reminds me of the little gems you find in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neiborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2013Consistently excellent food at reasonable prices. The portions are very generous - the small plates are often sufficient as entrees for modest appetites - however, there are so many good offerings it may be hard to eat only one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's FrenchTexInTheCityVIPDined on 10/4/2013Limited menu but great tasting food. Portion size is just the right size, and moderately priced. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would certainly come back.JoePDined on 9/28/2013I would certainly come back. Limited brunch menu. Having said that, my party of 6 ordered 6 different dishes. Everyone enjoyed their meal. I especially enjoyed the Provençal scramble. Additionally, the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlechnyladyesqVIPDined on 9/28/2013Went there for a weekend brunch. Telling that every other place on the UWS was packed and this place had plenty of tables. Had the provencal scramble. Bland, overcooked, under seasoned. Paid a whopping six dollars for a side of bacon that NEVER should have left the kitchen as it was so overcooked it was crispy to the point of disintegrating into bacon dust. Wait staff was friendly but nothing overwhelming. Huge disappointment.
- Fabulous Food, As AlwaysWerreandWrakeVIPDined on 9/4/2013This was our third or fourth visit, this time for a special occasion, and French Coast did not disappoint. In the past, the service has been indifferent, but that was not the case this time. Often the wait for the food is long--though the food's worth it--but again that wasn't the case. I love peaking back into the kitchen and watching the chef: he is so graceful at his work! I sometimes think the restaurant should make more of that, though I imagine the chef is not ostentatious enough to put himself on display. My only criticism: the bread wasn't worthy of the restaurant. Perhaps they had run out and were making do? I don't recall poor bread in the past.Special Features:
- AlrightwocaplelVIPDined on 8/17/2013The food is pretty good but the service is kind of iffy. I would go back if I happen to be close by and the restaurant wasn't crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place to MeetMichaelEVIPDined on 8/4/2013Service was great and food excellent. No liquor license, just wine.Special Features:
- Where's the Chef?CraftyVIPDined on 7/27/2013After we ordered, the Chef disappeared from the kitchen to "go get something" according to our server, and was gone 30 minutes. During that time, part of my meal was served. My husband waited for his for another 20 minutes. Neither of us got our fried, because, we were told, the Chef forgot to heat the oil. Completely unacceptable from an expensive NYC restaurant.
- Friendly Frenchcopernicus2013Dined on 7/17/2013This restaurant was a real surprise. It has a pleasantly relaxed atmosphere, an interesting menu, and a very attentive staff. The wine list (almost entirely French) has some good choices of medium-priced bottles. The ambiance is reminiscent of a Paris bistro. There is the option of outdoor dining on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerTeenaDined on 6/27/2013We had dinner on a weeknight. The lamb ragu on fettucini was very good. The creme brule had a coarse texture. This being my favorite dessert, I was disappointed. BUT we had our table about 2-1/2 hours and were never rushed, even though we had only one drink apiece!Special Features:
- Overall an Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/18/2013Tried this restaurant for the first time recently and was not disappointed in the least. We enjoyed an excellent meal accompanied by a very nice (and not so pricy) wine. The meal was wonderfully done, the wait staff was attentive without being intrusive, and the crème brûlée is wonderful. I have already recommended The French Coast to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok, but nothing specialReviewerVIPDined on 5/16/2013Atmosphere a bit flat. Food was fine (I actually really liked my lamb burger) but nothing very French about it. AC was very loud if you sit outside. They were nice about that but needs to be fixed.
- Hidden Gem on the UWS for French!CHILLVIPDined on 5/11/2013Great hidden gem on the UWS for French food. I had octopus and my friend had the beat salad. All were good and flavorful. I had fish for dinner too with a few potatoes. I would have liked more potatoes but that's OK. I loved the brussel sprouts too. The lamb burger was tasty so I was informed.... I'm coming back when I can.... Great neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful neighborhood find!BethyZVIPDined on 4/27/2013Delightful neighborhood find! The food was excellent and the service was very good. Reminded me of a true Paris bistro only on the UWS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Délicieux!WerreandWrakeVIPDined on 4/21/2013We've dined at French Coast twice, and both times the food was fabulous but the service unremarkable. Most recently, we felt for the waitress and bus boy, because it was clear no one had expected much traffic that night. Indeed, the glitches didn't spoil the meal. The first time, however, the service was weak simply, it seemed, because the two waitresses didn't much care. They should. The food deserves gracious service.Special Features:
- Loved this place. Not crowdedRamblerDined on 4/15/2013Loved this place. Not crowded on a Monday night, which made it a nice, low-key, fun dining experience. Food was wonderful. My duck confit salad was a terrific experience.Special Features:
- great neighborhood spottracyDined on 4/13/2013We dined early, before a show, so it may be louder later in the evening, but its a darling space, intimate, with interesting menu options.Special Features:
- We were so disappointed! TheNoisyVIPDined on 4/12/2013We were so disappointed! The appetizers were all delicious; but each entree was mediocre at best, and service lacking in professionalism. We will not go back.
- This was our second visitLoriBVIPDined on 4/7/2013This was our second visit to The French Coast. The food is excellent - especially the mussels and the lamb ragout.Special Features:
- We loved French Coast andThereseDined on 3/31/2013We loved French Coast and will make it a regular spot for us.Special Features:
- I wanted to like French Coast,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/30/2013I wanted to like French Coast, I really did. But it was just okay and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go back. The service was cold and inattentive. My crepe had eggshell in it.
- Most of the time we were there,BoboVIPDined on 3/28/2013Most of the time we were there, we were the only people eating. I'm happy to help a new local establishment make it, but this was a bit depressing. The service, however (or maybe as a direct result) was friendly and excellent!
- Met friends visiting fromOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Met friends visiting from CA. for Sunday brunch. staff did not rush us as we caught up with old friends. Food was great! Would def recommend.Special Features:
- Completely forgettable meal.UWSerVIPDined on 3/15/2013Completely forgettable meal. Husband like choc mousse but his entre was mediocre- think it was beef stew. I had filet mignon. It was ok. If I happened to live around the corner I would drop in for drinks but too many good places on the uws to go there again. Also very tight quarters
- Great UWS find!!TriathleteFoodieVIPDined on 3/10/2013The food and service were excellent. They have a wide range of fare to satisfy any appetite. I had the lamb ragu (a house specialty) and finished with the chocolate mousse for dessert. The owner,Sanjoy, was very helpful when we had wine questions and the staff was super sweet. I can't wait to try it for brunch as they have lots of sweet/savory crepes on the menu!Special Features:
- Would go again!ninaVIPDined on 3/9/2013Surprisingly good - doesn't look like much, small and kind of cramped - but very clean! Real bistro food menu - everything we ordered was delicious! I would go again to try other items from the menu!Special Features:
- The food and service are excellent.DaveyVIPDined on 3/8/2013The food and service are excellent. The decor needs to be improved upon.Special Features:
- Surprisingly excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Surprisingly excellent food! I had the diver scallops, they were sweet and delicious and perfectly prepared. My husband had the seafood risotto, which was also delicious. The restaurant is small and comfortable, the service was friendly and good. We will be going back.Special Features:
- The restaurant thought itOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/9/2013The restaurant thought it would be quiet and understaffed, so dinner was served warm and service was chaotic.
- A new restaurant in our neighborhooOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/23/2013A new restaurant in our neighborhood so we gave it a try and we were delighted. The food was diferent from other restaurants on the Upper West Side, it was very well prepared and service was friendly and warm. We had a great dinner and a wonder evening. We shall return very soona and have been recommending it to friends who enjoy really good food and want to be able to have an enjoyable evening with friends.Special Features:
- Walked past one cold nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/16/2013Walked past one cold night and dropped in to see if it was any good. Not an expansive menu but what was on it was excellent, wines also simple but great choice. Owners seem like good guys. We went back the following evening with friends and it was just as good, perhaps even better, really recommend a visit!Special Features: