The Freight House
194 West Ashland Avenue
Doylestown, PA 18901Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The Freight House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2153401003x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from The Freight House
The Freight House is currently closed for renovationsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Freight House reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (1)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant was almost empty on a Friday night at 7:00 P.M. so it was quiet. My kale salad was perfect. My partner's wedge salad would have been better if the lettuce was not almost white. Our mussels were good but there was very little broth, and six mussels never opened. Our waitress picked up the platter with the unopened mussels and did not offer an apology. Our entrees (tuna for me and swordfish for him) were hot and fresh, however, my bok choy was overcooked as were his fork-mashed potatoes. The portion size for both pieces of fish was small. Our asparagus were not too cooked and not too raw. Our waitress was attentive as well as the two bus boys. The timing of each course was perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerExperteaterVIPDined on 7/19/2014We eat at the Frieght house regulatory and enjoy our meals there. I reccommended the ahi tuna appetizer, the cheesesteak egg rolls are divine and the fish entrees are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014We stayed at the bar, but our glassware wasn't very clean looking. And I was a bit bothered by the lack of cleaniness in the bathrooms as well. The food was decent, but given the prices I expected more. It's a shame -- we went to the freight house a year or so ago and really liked it -- It was pricey so that is why we stayed away so long, but it was good and worth it for a special occasion-- I was dissapointed with our visit this time. The only plus was staying the bar meant 1/2 off apps and certain drinks -- which helped.
- Solid, but not fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Food was good. Crab bisque soup was terrific. I liked the decor of the restaurant but thought it was overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly mediocreAjaxDined on 6/21/2014Our third and last visit- food is very overpriced for the level of quality. For example, seared tuna was fresh but lacked even basic seasoning and the amount of hoisin sauce smeared on the plate was almost nonexistent. Stuffed lobster tail was a rip off size wise. Both the creme brûlée - lacked flavor, and Oreo cheesecake were weak. The cheesecake tasted sour with not evn a hint of cream cheese. $300 for 5, never again.Special Features:
- let down.retiredandwifeyDined on 6/14/2014We have dined here before with a better evening. Only about 20 to 25 diners were seen while we were there. Our waitress seemed to be more interested in conversing with the other waiters than in checking on her patrons. They seemed more intent on talking at one of the empty tables, of which there were many. Our reservation was for 7:00, the Saturday before fathers day. By that time, my selection for dinner had run out. I certainly think that something like that should not have happened.
- Acceptable to good in all categorizOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014We had the French onion soup (good), shrimp and grits (very good), dry scallops (fair: really needed butter and spices) and grilled swordfish (very good). Service was attentive but too quick. Since we didn't have coffee and dessert, we were done in under an hour. Prices weren't bad at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freight HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2014We dine here regularly. Service is friendly and efficient. Mike was our server for Mothers Day dinner. Food was excellent as usual and he provided outstanding service. This is our special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchRedwinemanVIPDined on 5/11/2014Very big disappointment. Was unaware the reservation booked through OpenTable was for a buffet only. Disappointed with food quality and service. Wine list very limited.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014For the price, we should not have to look at empty stations (eggs, bacon and carving station). A member of management should be in the area. With the other restaurants in the area, there should be more options offered to the guests.Special Features:
- Poor serviceDtownfoodieDined on 5/11/2014Our waitress appear to be lost and really didn't know what to do. We were at the freight house for Mother's Day brunch and I was disappointed with the spread and the service. I think I saw our waitress maybe twice. Also, as a brunch buffet, the salmon was dry, omelet station gave out burned omelets and they ran out of bacon. This was our second year in a row there but next year may not happen. Disappointed.
- Good ambienceDTownFoodieDined on 5/9/2014Good place for ambience and fun music but the menu and food could probably be a bit better for the price. I'd probably go back again for the bar scene.Special Features:
- Where's The FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/9/2014Just plain bad and bland food. A flank steak with no flavor? Seriously? Even by concensus everything bad to average.
- Great foodErinCDined on 5/3/2014We really enjoyed our first visit here. Had calamari, steak, & scallops - ALL were delicious! Already recommended freight house to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like the restAriusStriderDined on 5/3/2014This place wa not like the rest. A great look walking in, not to bright or dark inside. Music could have been down a notch or two but overly distracting. Great menue and very descent portions. We did not leave hungry. Booked our reservations online and was a place to write special instructions. Mentioned I wanted a nice place to dine as it was my wife and I's first annaversary. Upon arriving I did not notice anything but our server greeted us with Happy Annaversary. It was wonderful that they read emails. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to everyone and look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only the prices were reasonable.MichaelGDined on 5/1/2014The interior is fantastic, the service was really good as was the food but the overall value was not there. I have no problem paying those prices if I were in NYC and were having a true foodie dining experience but this was 'just' dinner in Doylestown. Check the menu for yourself before going. There are enough other good choices within a few blocks that you will never see me back there. Let someone else pay the freight!
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014I stumbled upon your restaurant and was very happy with the outcome. I was there for Easter. Honestly I chose your establishment because all the other places were booked. I read some online reviews and they were not very encouraging. I will certainly return:)Special Features:
- DisappointedElegantDined on 4/20/2014Came here for the $35 Easter Brunch. We were seated at 1:30 which was near the end of the brunch. The food was not great, the pasta dishes, the potato's and the french toast were all dried out from sitting in warmers. The deserts were a joke and not good. They were dismantling and cutting back on the buffet before we were even done. The only good thing was the prime rib and the omelets were OK. Coffee was even extra which at that price for a brunch with nothing special on it was insulting. We will scratch off the Freight House in the future as a place to go and we are from Doylestown. Skip this place, there are far to many better restaurants in D-town.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchEdieZeeDined on 4/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the brunch they served for Easter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing - OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Our family had Easter Brunch and for $35 per person the variety and quality of the buffet offerings were disappointing. The Freight House used to provide an interesting selection of food at their holiday buffets.
- Hoo Hum brunchBlondie18914Dined on 4/20/2014Brunch on Easter was very disappointing. The selection was limited. The only cheese available for the omelets was American. Limited desserts and pastries. Beverages should have been included in the price. Sausages were undercooked. Potatoes were dry. Breakfast at Aunt Judy's is much better at 1/3 the price. I wouldn't recommend The Freight House for brunch.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The freight house is me and my husband place to go weekly for date night. We absolutely love the freight house. We could go anywhere but we choose to go there even thou its a 30 minute drive for us. I love the food and my apple martinis, the service, and the atmosphere and I love using open table to book my reservation. Looking forward to my next dinner date.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014had a fabulous night. looking forward to seeing you again. everything was amazing. thank you very muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensiveAlidaDined on 3/21/2014The food is always very good but it is very expensive for the average person especially if you have children. It is very nice for special occasions though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy dining, train station viewStephanieVIPDined on 3/18/2014We ate quite early, at 5:30, so the dining area was empty and there were only a few at the bar for happy hour. We were seated promptly, My husband ordered the merlot by the glass, filet and lobster surf and turf, and I ordered the duck. He ordered his steak medium, and it was prepared decently and tasted like a flavorful cut of meat. I ordered my duck medium well, though it came out slightly more on the well side, so I would order it medium if I went back. Everything had a great taste, though the portions were modest for the price. I enjoyed the location, watching the trains come and go from the Doylestown station. Unfortunately we didn't have time for an appetizer or dessert. Overall, a good meal, but a little on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableExperteaterVIPDined on 3/15/2014We ate here on Saturday night and really enjoyed our evening out. The cheesesteak egg rolls are a MUST have appetizer! I do not really care for regular cheesesteaks and I absolutely loved them!! My husband and I both had the special, Cajun mahi with a fresh mango salsa. It was fantastic! The potion was generous and the quality was excellent. To top off our dinner we shared the chocolate cake. It was equally delicious and had a nice presentation. I will say we had a great waiter, Michael. We do not consistently great great waiters here so Michael was a refreshing change!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshingly different andChrisDined on 3/12/2014Refreshingly different and unique. Great ambience. Too expensive to frequent regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPestoQueenVIPDined on 3/8/2014At first the service was rushed then the service was extremely slow. Mussels Fra Diavolo came out in a milky white sauce. Oysters came without a utensil. I could go on. When the food runners brought the food they had no idea who had what. Overpriced for average food. Nothing to write home about. Will not be back.
- Great Valentine's Day DinnerBrockDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I chose the Freight House for Valentine's Dinner and we were very happy. We had never heard of the Freight House before, but we definitely enjoyed our dinner and would recommend it to others. The restaurant is one open building, but the design and layout of the tables allow intimacy while also enjoying the open feeling of the building. We had a preset menu which had perfect portion sizes for my wife and I. Our only complaint is that the service was slow. Our server was super nice, but it took about 10min for him to come to take our drink order even though we were there well past their busy period. The service was slow for the rest of the night but the friendliness of the waiter helped make up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day dinner - Shared!married0522Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I enjoyed our Valentine's dinner. The menu was fixed but the options worked well for us. I had the Lobster cous cous mac and cheese and I don't think I have ever had anything so good (felt like food heaven). My husband had the lamb chops (he is more meat and potatoes kind of guy) and the meat was very tender. Add a beer for him and a spiced pear martini for me and we were just getting started with these great appetizers. We both choose as our main course the filet mignon and petite lobster tail. They got both of the filet's exactly like we wanted them, thank you to our waiter for listening to my husband's in depth description to how he likes his filet. Overall a good choice for dinner.Food was excellent and service was top!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good and everyoneLiv2eatDined on 2/1/2014Food was good and everyone in our party was happy with their meal. Hummus was delicious. The service however, left much to be desired. After delivering our drinks, the waitress disappeared for 10 minutes before coming to take our dinner order. The restaurant was possibly understaffed that night. Also, I mentioned to the hostess that we had 2 birthdays in our party that night and the result was simply the waitress wishing our two guests happy birthday. Not was I was looking for. Also, the desserts on the menu didn't justify the $8 price. Also, the restaurant is beautiful but it's extremely dark. Difficult to read the menu.
- Great placeRocOnFEDined on 2/1/2014This is our fourth time, each time we brought another one of our crew, this time table for 6, great food, beer, wine, service, we all had a great time, WOW!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, slow serviceDippersGirlDined on 2/1/2014Appetizers, drinks and dessert were delicious. Both of our steaks came out undercooked then we had requested. Hostess and bus staff were quick and efficient, however the waitress was difficult to find. I opted to have my steak re-done which she took back to the kitchen but did not apologize for the error. We also had to ask for drink refills and then follow up ten minutes later when they still hadn't arrived, still not apology for the delay. Given the cost of this restaurant, I'm unsure if I'd be willing to give it a second chance. A girl wants to take her guy out for a nice dinner on his birthday, and I felt like I had egg on my face for choosing the place. This place came highly recommended but didn't live up to the hype.Special Features:
- 1st time visit - surprisingly goodmhinksonVIPDined on 1/25/2014We had a first visit to The Freight House and were pleasantly surprised. The food selection and quality were both outstanding, the service was good, the wine and beer list were broad. A definite go to again.Special Features:
- Great food, so-so servicejk83Dined on 1/25/2014I have been here twice and the food has been excellent. However, the service was not as good. The server was slow and ignored us for stretches of time for the first half of the meal, then as the restaurant started to get crowded they started rushing us along.Special Features:
- Love This Place!RedRider78Dined on 1/18/2014I always enjoy going to the Freight House. The kitchen was very accommodating to my dietary needs and the server made sure that they were able to accommodate me first regarding substitutions for sides. The server was friendly and made sure we had a pleasant dining experience. The Freight House is very special to me and my fiance and we make sure that we go back every year to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceluvfinediningDined on 1/14/2014We had a party of 4, one being a toddler. My grandaughter was well taken care of. Fast friendly service. Our server addressed our every need and then some. It was pricey but we knew that going into it. The drinks were fabulous. Great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to return!SMWCDined on 1/14/2014It would have been a perfect birthday celebration if the couple with a toddler didn't show up and was seated only 4 booths away. Thank God the booths are tall enough not to see but we could still hear. Our server did an outstanding job of pacing our courses...not rushing us through. Everything was delicious. I had the scallops---heaven on a plate! Hubby had the filet, cooked to perfection. We will be back once the weather turns warmer for some cocktails and patio time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived early enough toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014We arrived early enough to be able to sit at the bar and enjoy some champagne before we sat for dinner. No one rushed us and we were able to enjoy the evening at our leisure. The bartender was great and offered a very small taste of a chardonnay so a decision could be made once we made it to the table. The dinners were good with adequate food portions; not too small; not too large. The service was OK, but the restaurant was crowded so I am sure they all had enough on their hands to take care of everyone. All in all, this is our second time there and we would dine there again. Its great and convenient to the location of the Michener museum. Both times to dine at your restaurant, we came from the museum.Special Features:
- Great service and amazingShelbers11Dined on 1/10/2014Great service and amazing food. The calamari was excellent along with their Freight house burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.