19192 Hwy. 8
Morrison, CO 80465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefort.com/
- Phone: (303) 697-4771
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Indian flute music on select nights.
- Special Events: Tesoro Cultural Center's 1830's Rendezvous and Spainsh Colonial Market coming up Sept. 27 & 28, 2014 from 10am-5pm both days! Meet the mountain men and experience the Early West. Free parking and free admission. Fun for families!
A word from The Fort
Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Fort - Best Restaurants in Morrison ›
The Fort reviews from OpenTable diners
436 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (344)scenic view (316)romantic (168)good for groups (152)fit for foodies (148)notable wine list (94)great for outdoor dining (85)neighborhood gem (66)kid-friendly (40)hot spot (26)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Another memorable fort experience !ZengoliciousDined on 11/16/2014We have dined at the Fort many many times over the years and have never been disappointed...I can still hear Sam Arnold's radio commercials telling me about the Fort....he is greatly remembered and missed....He can be proud that his high standards have been maintained...the ambiance food and service are impeccable...... As casual as it is, the details such as bringing out clean forks, etc, when needed, do not go unnoticed....in fact this is what impresses us with the understated elegance...we sat in a room with a fireplace and no other guests....perfect since we were celebrating a small family reunion and the privacy and quiet added to our intimate connecting... thank you, as always....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Special Ocassion RestaurantGregHDined on 11/15/2014I took my girlfriend here for her Birthday Dinner. She had the Buffalo Tenderloin and I had the Game Platter. Both were very good and they should be for the price. The staff was very good; which is a rarity at most places these days. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Denver or wants to treat someone to a special night out. I wish I could've eaten here when they had a circus bear drinking at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasurableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014The food is delicious. Definitely go for the big game dishes. The bison ribeye is delightful. Bring someone special with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014I had been to The Fort before, many years ago,so was excited to use a gift card we received through a friend for our 20th anniversary. My husband looked forward to our dinner but have to say we were both a bit disappointed in our meals. My husband ordered the Game Plate, his Quail was burnt and the stake was tough to cut, much less to chew. I ordered the New York Strip which I thought for the price should have been way more tender, my meal was..."ok", but not worth the price. I do give great compliments to or waite staff,and or server Barrett, they all did a wonderful job!! Desert and drinks were also good, but again..not sure I would choose The Fort again for a celebration dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowy eveningroseDined on 11/15/2014enjoyed a wonderful evening with good friends :) Took our time to orderand enjoy the fine meal. We have always enjoyed going to the Fort right up the road from us. Been going for 30 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Denver ClassicMikeCDined on 11/14/2014I took a couple of friends from out of town to the Fort and they were so impressed. The uniqueness of the night started with their drink menu and the Historian Platter for an appetizer. I really think that the three of us could have been happy with just that but when the elk steak came they were fans for life. The staff was attentive without being intrusive and made the evening a special one for my first time visitors. There is no doubt that this will become a must go place every time they come back to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, mostly great foodTickerLeeDined on 11/14/2014The Fort restaurant often has both good points and bad for me. This time, the only disappointment was the vegetarian dish, Tlaxcalan’s Tamal Nuevo. The description sounded delicious, but is was two squares of what tasted like rather bland polenta with some other unidentifiable ingredients mixed in. Nice sauce drizzled, but not quite enough. Two of the four of use ordered this dish, and it's a good thing someone else ordered the buffalo ribs (delicious!) and a ribeye steak. We should have ordered just one. The guacamole appetizer was superb. Love the ambiance and decor. The view is usually great, but dark at this time of year!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed over the yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Compared to many years ago, the menu choices are more limited and focus on "game" meat--probably a result of the "upscale" changes made for the G8 conference a few years ago. I much preferred the previous menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/9/2014I've eaten at the Fort before. Decided to take my daughter there for her 18th birthday. Although the building is charming and full of character - Mountain Man was nice and friendly however I found the waitress to be so- so in her service. My kids chose not to order any type of drink instead opting for water and was responded with an "oh" as if we were being cheap and her tip was going to be less. Her overall service was fair not very friendly somewhat unprofessional for a restaurant of this means. . The side servers were better. The meals we ordered were good but I found the service to be lackluster at best.Special Features:
- great food & service = great time!CO3rdGenDined on 11/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed everything, including the flute player and the mountain man.I heard about the bison bone marrow on CPR and I was so glad to have finally tried it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dining experience like no otherTheRealDealDined on 11/8/2014effortless online reservation and great dining experience. staff and food was exceptional.Special Features:
- Best Lamb chops in DenverWestern33Dined on 11/8/2014I have eaten lamb chops at 2 other 5 star restaurants lately and they did not compare to the way these tasted. My husband eats steak everywhere he goes and he said the steak with the red chili sauce and the egg was excellent too. My daughter had the Salmon and raved about it and the dill -carrot thick broth. Generous Portions, The non alcohol drinks were a hit too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Expensive. Other very nice restruants offer great meals at a better priceSpecial Features:
- Classic ColoradoBoxer1962Dined on 11/7/2014Food was beyond what we expected. Our waitress really made the dining experience what it was!Special Features:
- Best bargain in townArtyAJDined on 11/6/2014In the Fall, the Fort has a special; 3 courses for $35. It includes soup or salad, great bread, entree (usually bison), dessert and even a glass of wine. We also had a coupon from the Post for a free quesadilla and margarita with entree. It is a historical place with tons of atmosphere and character, from the time you enter the courtyard. The staff is extremely well trained and attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointingWayneVIPDined on 11/2/2014Overpriced. Venue overrated. Strange ambiance with dated decor. Service was actually well done. Food very rich and portions are huge. Cheap wine list.Special Features:
- First experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I've always heard about "the fort" but the only thing I've heard is it's expensive and has buffalo. Well, we came in mainly because we had a gift card and babysitter. Everyone at the fort was so nice! The older man, was great and told us all about the forts history. The Native American man playing the flute was also great! Overall I would say it was quite a fun experience, the building, the characters but the food wasn't great. My ribs were burnt and not very flavorful and my husbands lamb was good but just good. I like the idea of the fort but because of the price and not so great food we won't be coming back any time soon. If the food would have been as great as the rest then it would have been perfect. Also our server was great!Special Features:
- Over priced for food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Food was not the best for the prices. Over priced, meat was tough and side dishes were lacking in flavor. Overall experience will not have me coming back.Special Features:
- Disappointing qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014There were 4 of us that ordered different cuts of meat. Not one of us received a steak which was cooked to order. For a place supposedly specializing in game & steaks, this was very disappointing. Service was acceptable, but overall quality of experience was overshadowed by the lack of quality in the food & expensive price tag.Special Features:
- Good TimesGoodTimesDined on 11/1/2014Good views and interesting food. tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RGhost1aDined on 11/1/2014A great dining experience, nestled in the foothills just SW of Denver. The outdoor tepee & campfire was great too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014As always The Fort was fabulous. We enjoyed sitting out by the wood fire that was burning in the courtyard after eating a wonderful meal. We have enjoyed The Fort for over 20 years.Special Features:
- The FortGreatdinnerDined on 10/30/2014Food was excellent and the staff was fantastic. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Linda SasseLuv2dineDined on 10/27/2014We brought out of state guest on our last visit. We all had a wonderful experience. Is definitely our new favorite place to celebrate events,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- musselmaniacDined on 10/25/20143 of us enjoyed the pot roast special and the guacamole was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the FortColoradoCoupleDined on 10/25/2014We had not been to The Fort for a decade. Had good service and enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Perfect place for a great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food is unique and delicious. The service was very attentive. We brought two small children and they were treated very well. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I have not been in 10 plus years, but exactly like I was remembered. In my opinion, the place in the front range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014It's been years since we visited the Fort and in the past it was always a wonderful experience. Pricing has escalated and quality of food has diminished. I had the duck and the sauces was delicious, but the bird breast was very tough. Others in our party were pleased with their orders. But for $300…the food was marginal at best.Special Features:
- Special eatsHungaryamyDined on 10/21/2014Loved the bone marrow dish. Gelato was very good. Next time I will ask for extra gravy to go with the pot roast. I prefer more lighting...and I mean in the room not outside. No problem with noise level. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!JSRNDined on 10/20/2014We had the October bison pot roast special. It was outstanding--absolutely delicious! The serving size was so generous, we even had two more meals with what we brought home. The service was outstanding also. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion WorthyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and myself took our two grown sons for an evening out. We all enjoyed the ambiance and the food. The service was very good and all the people working seemed to really enjoy their work - which makes for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Embrace the quirksDrJeffDined on 10/17/2014We love the Fort! The history, the Old Western style. Great discussion with the Native American flute player about flutes, recorders, Sissy the Bear, and Mrs. Gene Autry! An excellent Spanish wine choice by our waitress. Where else can you sit in Gorbachev's chair from a meeting of the 8? The food consists of no frills preparations of outstanding cuts of meat and game. Be sure to start your meal with the signature appetizers...the sausage platter and Sam's guac are our favorites. The adventurous diner does not want to miss the peanut butter stuffed jalapenos and Rocky Mtn. Oysters.Special Features:
- Fabulous as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I had a great date night at The Fort. We don't dine there often but it is a wonderful experience whenever we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for Special BirthdayMusicDined on 10/17/2014The presentation of all of the meal courses was exquisite and the service was very personal. The Indian Flautist interacted with the guests with interesting information and his music was relaxing and welcoming. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great protein options!eatemupDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at The Fort. We got there at 6 and were kinda disappointed because there were so many kids, but as the night progressed the ambiance improved! The proteins were fabulous! I had the Buffalo Filet and my husband had the lamp t-bones! Really great! We would come back for those alone. The vegetables left something to be desired. Overall I give it a B+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryJJJJDined on 10/17/2014The ambiance definitely represents the location and the history of the restaurant. The service is good. The food is game focused, which is unique. We had the bone marrow as starter, really good! However, the sauces of the main courses were very salty, which ruined the meats. The meats were actually well seasoned and cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Multiple VisitsbillsulDined on 10/16/2014This was our third or fourth visit and satisfied every time. The peanut butter jalapenos are awesome, lamb and bison were great! Chocolate cake - mmmmm.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LuvFoodDined on 10/13/2014The Fort gave us the best meal we have had in ages in every way. The wine we chose was perfect and the staff gracious and attentive. The menu selections are outstanding and just what one wants of the western experience. The venue is itself an Old West museum feel and the ambiance could not have been better. More than five stars are deserved !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jacob, Mountain ManGezelligDined on 10/12/2014My college friend and her anthropologist daughter came with me to The Fort. We were seated right next to the glowing fire on a chilly night. Our waitress (Monique?) was most attentive. The food was superbly seasoned and served. The highlight of the evening was Jacob, a local mountain man, who strolls about, telling stories of his mountain life, regalia, showing us the thinness of his flint knife, and even singing us a low and beautiful lullaby. Marvelous evening. Don't miss the Roasted Bison Marrow served in the bone--yum! And, we are sure, you will remember Jacob and the recreation of Bent's Fort on a gezellig evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.