19192 Hwy. 8
Morrison, CO 80465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefort.com/
- Phone: 3036974771x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Indian flute music on select nights.
- Special Events: Tesoro Cultural Center's 1830's Rendezvous and Spainsh Colonial Market coming up Sept. 27 & 28, 2014 from 10am-5pm both days! Meet the mountain men and experience the Early West. Free parking and free admission. Fun for families!
A word from The Fort
Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Fort - Best Restaurants in Morrison ›
The Fort reviews from OpenTable diners
467 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (371)scenic view (349)romantic (178)good for groups (151)fit for foodies (143)great for outdoor dining (107)notable wine list (106)neighborhood gem (68)kid-friendly (44)late-night find (19)hot spot (17)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014I really enjoyed my cocktail. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. I loved the unique combination of ingredients in the entree sides. Eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We normally cannot afford this kind of restaurant, but we had saved for this. We hired a babysitter and a car service for a 7pm reservation on a Sat. night, looking forward to a great meal in a romantic, special place, as we had experienced the last time we visited a few years ago for our anniversary. Instead we found people dining in shorts and flip flops, a woman breastfeeding with the top half of her shirt completely removed while facing the entire lounge area, and children running and shrieking around the outside fire pit after dinner (about 9pm at night). We had a seat by the window, however, the view from the dinning area was completely obscured by outdoor tents. For a place featuring $50 entrees we were shocked.
- Not worth the drive or the priceUnpretentioDined on 9/26/2014Service was lacking. When I have to ask for more water, you'd think the servers would then monitor and fill our glasses on their own. But no. No water offered, I had to ask for it again. Just because you offer unusual menu items doesn't mean the food is necessarily flavorful. And lose the roaming pig-tailed flute player. Parking situation is ridiculous. You shouldn't need hiking boots to get to the front door.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The fort is DEFINITELY a must try! The buffalo steak was so juicy and like nothing I've ever had. The taste stands out and I'm STILL thinking about it days later! Was my first time there and worth the experience. The setting was pretty romantic too!Special Features:
- DisappointingbconjackDined on 9/25/2014Cold appetizer cold room bad game platter. Only good things were our waitress the salad and filet mignon
- birthdayVIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was very pricey. We were told how "melt in your mouth" the bison filet was, consequently, it was overcooked. Ambience would normally be great, but they were getting ready for a weekend festival. Therefore, tents blocked our view.Special Features:
- great views & service, average foodbirthdayboyDined on 9/22/2014we've been here before and the food was spectacular, so we know its potential. but on this particular night we were a little disappointed. I ordered the lamb special and my husband got the new york strip. my lamb was very chewy and underdone, and the steak was just ok. i was very much looking forward to the dessert that came with my meall, chocolate mouse, but other than pretty the hard chocolate shell it was also nothing special. although the food was edible, it was definitely not the unique melt-in-your-mouth quality one comes to expect from the fort's reputation and prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatGoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have heard about The Fort for years. We had out of town guests so we decided to take them to The Fort for a Saturday night dinner. The ambience inside is interesting. It was raining that night so we really could not experience everything that was offered outdoors. The food was good but far from great. Outside of some unusual entrées and game meats there was nothing special about our dinner. The service was fine, but we all found our waitress to be quite odd. The prices are extremely high for what you get. We had one appetizer, four dinners, no alcoholic drinks, no desserts and we still paid over $250. We have had much better steak dinners at Elway's restaurant in Denver. I don't think we will ever go back.Special Features:
- Not what I remember73dineDined on 9/20/2014I could not have been more disappointed in our experience Saturday night. The front desk was rude and our reservation was late without explanation. Our waitress got my order wrong and then to correct it served a raw elk chop. When you pay $60 for a steak it is fair to expect the best. This could not have been more opposite than that. This used to be a fun historic feeling restaurant, it certainly was not on Saturday.Special Features:
- lov2eatDined on 9/20/2014The lamb was terrible, full of gristle and fat ---very disppointing for the special item on the menu.Special Features:
- The view and service were great...PuppyPawsDined on 9/20/2014When we first arrived, we were sat in a very small room at a two top with a family of 8 sitting next to us. Not great for a romantic dinner. We asked to be moved and our server was great about moving us to a better table and after we were moved, the ambiance and view could be enjoyed. We have eaten at the Fort in the past and loved the food, however this time around, the food was just okay. We both had buffalo and although there was nothing wrong with the meal, there was really nothing memorable either regarding the food. Not sure if it was just an off night or what, however I think it will be awhile before we dine at The Fort again. Hoping they improve because we really do love the location.Special Features:
- Outstanding!RoyceDined on 9/20/2014I have been coming a few times a year for over 30 years, excellent every time!Special Features:
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014We have gone to The Fort on several very special occasions -- anniversaries and birthdays, as well as special family dinners. The food and service are always excellent and well worth the price. You will never be disappointed!Special Features:
- a gem for game...ChinnyVIPDined on 9/16/2014visited the Fort on a recommendation from family while visiting the Denver area. It was an excellent choice. They've been serving Bison since the sixties so they have developed considerable skill in the preparation of this type of game. Needless to say they nailed it. My wife had the Elk Chops and I had the game sampler plate which contained Bison, Elk and Quail. Perfection all around. We also had some interesting appetizers; another sampler plate but with Bison sausage, Rock Mountain Oysters, Bison Tongue and an interesting concoction of Jalapeno peppers stuffed with Peanut Butter! Not something I'd normally be interested in trying but it was pretty good actually! Also, try the trade whisky if you're into whisky...unique approach!Special Features:
- DisappointingLocalresidentDined on 9/15/2014Location is interesting and views are excellent, but the service and food were disappointing considering the cost. The waitress annoyingly overused superlatives in every sentence and the food was very average, not of the quality expected.
- rkymnthiDined on 9/15/2014Very nice view, unique building, unique menu of wild game - First experience having bone marrow and Rocky Mountain oysters, food was very good, service was superb. We will be back.Special Features:
- An evening to rememberblbaDined on 9/15/2014We enjoyed a fun evening of delicious food which included: duck quesadilla, pickled quail eggs wrapped in buffalo sausage; buffalo filet Mignon, elk chop, buffalo sirloin, and grilled quail. The Fort provided excellent wait service and we were treated to 'on the house' dessert. We chose the Fort's Negrita (dark chocolate mouse whipped with Myer's rum served in a chocolate tulip cup) a chocolate lovers dream as we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. Animal skin hats were placed on our heads and a commemorative photo was taken. Truly an evening to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisited after 10 yearsBox2105Dined on 9/14/2014I remembered this place from a trip to Denver 10 years ago and found it again. Was even better than I remembered! My plan during this next ski season is to arrive in Denver by 4pm, show up at The Fort for 5:30 dinner, watch the sunset, eat and head on to the ski resorts. I am guessing I can be checked into a hotel in Vail in time for a 10pm night cap and ready to ski in the morning.Special Features:
- I can say I've been therePaul80602Dined on 9/14/2014Being set in a replica of a frontier fort gives the place great ambiance. The gentleman dressed in period attire is spot on and stopped by to ask how things are. The food is only average but they do have nice a selection of buffalo meats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The september special ($35) three course meal was very good. The lamb steak was cooked perfectly and had good flavor. The desert was super rich and chocolaty. The service could have been better. The waitress was not very professional and was very laid back.Special Features:
- Authentic historical atmosphereBISON4meDined on 9/13/2014Authentic Colorado ambience setting in an adobe fort with views east to Aurora and delicious western cuisine that is perfectly prepared. Service is professional. A must visit for your special occasions and out of town guests! We LOVE the menu and each visit is great during any season. We drive about 70 miles! So you KNOW it is worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedPurityCovenantDined on 9/13/2014The evening was one to remember being pleasurable fulfilling all that was desired by our dining wants for the evening. My daughter and I will look back on her16th purity birthday with great joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, but food was good.Emmy02Dined on 9/13/2014We decided to try the fort, and the food was pretty good; however, it is overpriced. The bison filet mignon was almost sixty dollars! It just didn't seem worth it.Special Features:
- Very MemorableMarnieDined on 9/12/2014The service was excellent. My boyfriend and I ordered non-alcoholic beverages with our meal. Later after he proposed to me with no tip off to the staff, they sent over a complimentary bottle of sparkling cider. Very perceptive and greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Unique all aroundBuckeyeDined on 9/11/2014The Fort is an excellent choice for visitors and for special occasions. The food was spectacular and the view is even better. If you want a very Coloradan, western experience this is the place to go. You can get Buffalo, Quail and Elk on the same plate along with a nice dinner salad and potatoes. Or a hefty sized Salmon with grilled vegetables and dinner salad. The beverages are modestly priced, which is different in this caliber restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The prices were too high and the portions were too smallSpecial Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Both the service (thank you Orrin) and the food were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLovesGoodFoodDined on 9/10/2014The food and service from The Fort is wonderful. The dishes offered make you want to try something new. Everything was delicious and eye pleasing. From the appetizers like peanut butter stuffed jalapeños and a sausage platter of wild boar & jackalope to the main entree of a bison filet, elk chops & quail there's something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRosalieDined on 9/9/2014We took our relatives to the Fort for their anniversary, they are visiting from Italy. They loved everything about restaurant. The decor, the food and the kindness of all of the waitstaff. For their anniversary the restaurant sang to them and had them put on a buffalo and a coyote head dress. Just like they had seen in so many American movies. This is a night they will remember for a long time. The food was delicious. Portions are large, we split everything!Special Features:
- Awesome view!cprincessDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed celebrating my birthday at The Fort! We have had many celebrations and wonderful dinners here over the years. A beautiful view, great food and super service! Can't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicedancerDined on 9/8/2014A very special place. Great food and atmosphere. Also very historic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta go to the Fort!shersherDined on 9/6/2014This is the place to go for special occasion's, a unique experience and great food. Not a good place for small children. The Fort is a must, a real Colorado treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Experience !rsh2112Dined on 9/5/2014What a fantastic place! I am particularly awe struck by the wild game food that is offered by superb Chefs...will be going again soonSpecial Features:
- Scenic night out.CololaxmanDined on 9/5/2014Nice evening out, service was great, food was okay (cold and over done) didn't taste real fresh, prickly pear margay were good, dessert was good...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColoradolivingDined on 9/5/2014Everything was at it has always been. Consistent in service and quality. We had out of country guests and The FColoradoort was on their Bucket List. They were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Not good serverMikeDined on 9/5/2014Food was fairy, not excellent. Server was not good. If the server's attitude was better, my rating might be higher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!RickDined on 9/4/2014The food and service was excellent. The staff made us feel very welcome and also made for a very nice anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Bad side dishes/disappointing visitFoodieOneDined on 9/4/2014I have visited The Fort on a few occasions and each time I have been significantly disappointed w/ their side dishes. Granted they really emphasize their meats, but does that mean that the side dishes (on a plate that costs approximately $50.00) s/ be bad to horrible tasting?! In addition, for the prices being paid they should have their flute player on weeknights as well as on the weekends. The restaurant was packed on the night I visited and the flute player would really have helped the atmosphere. On my last visit the restaurant was very cold and the service was slow & lacking. All that being said, the meats we had were quite tasty, but definitely not worth the price paid per plate.Special Features:
- change of management and chefdenverdivaDined on 9/2/2014The good news, the service is still great, the view is still great, and the restaurant is still very clean. We recognized several of the servers. The bad news? well...the duck breast portion size has gone SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. :( The ancho-orange sauce? you could not detect either flavor, had to take their word for it. Other things? To get a substitution, your server has to go begging to ask. Hardly the story it has been over the past few years when a reasonable request was made to happen effortlessly and without any embarrassment for asking. The new french fries on the menu were underwhelming...and this will sound bad, but Steak N Shake has similar fries for quite a bit less! And french fries really don't say The Fort, do they!Special Features:
- Bucket ListOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I have lived in Colorado for 10years and have always wanted to go to The Fort. We had guests in from out of town, and had a few birthdays to celebrate so we decided this would be a perfect chance! The food was good, a bit overpriced for what you get, but still delish. The ambiance was amazing, and so was sitting next to the large windows overlooking Denver. We had 2 Birthdays to celebrate, so dessert was great and so was wearing the funny buffalo hats while they took our picture and printed it for us. My only complaint was the water (silly I know), but it tasted super strange like it had salt in it.Special Features: