19192 Hwy. 8
Morrison, CO 80465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefort.com/
- Phone: 3036974771x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Indian flute music on select nights.
- Special Events: Tesoro Cultural Center's 1830's Rendezvous and Spainsh Colonial Market coming up Sept. 27 & 28, 2014 from 10am-5pm both days! Meet the mountain men and experience the Early West. Free parking and free admission. Fun for families!
A word from The Fort
Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Fort - Best Restaurants in Morrison ›
The Fort reviews from OpenTable diners
457 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (364)scenic view (335)romantic (175)good for groups (153)fit for foodies (152)great for outdoor dining (103)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (69)kid-friendly (41)hot spot (22)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Special Occasion WorthyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and myself took our two grown sons for an evening out. We all enjoyed the ambiance and the food. The service was very good and all the people working seemed to really enjoy their work - which makes for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Embrace the quirksDrJeffDined on 10/17/2014We love the Fort! The history, the Old Western style. Great discussion with the Native American flute player about flutes, recorders, Sissy the Bear, and Mrs. Gene Autry! An excellent Spanish wine choice by our waitress. Where else can you sit in Gorbachev's chair from a meeting of the 8? The food consists of no frills preparations of outstanding cuts of meat and game. Be sure to start your meal with the signature appetizers...the sausage platter and Sam's guac are our favorites. The adventurous diner does not want to miss the peanut butter stuffed jalapenos and Rocky Mtn. Oysters.Special Features:
- Fabulous as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I had a great date night at The Fort. We don't dine there often but it is a wonderful experience whenever we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for Special BirthdayMusicDined on 10/17/2014The presentation of all of the meal courses was exquisite and the service was very personal. The Indian Flautist interacted with the guests with interesting information and his music was relaxing and welcoming. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014The ambiance definitely represents the location and the history of the restaurant. The service is good. The food is game focused, which is unique. We had the bone marrow as starter, really good! However, the sauces of the main courses were very salty, which ruined the meats. The meats were actually well seasoned and cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Multiple VisitsbillsulDined on 10/16/2014This was our third or fourth visit and satisfied every time. The peanut butter jalapenos are awesome, lamb and bison were great! Chocolate cake - mmmmm.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LuvFoodDined on 10/13/2014The Fort gave us the best meal we have had in ages in every way. The wine we chose was perfect and the staff gracious and attentive. The menu selections are outstanding and just what one wants of the western experience. The venue is itself an Old West museum feel and the ambiance could not have been better. More than five stars are deserved !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jacob, Mountain ManGezelligDined on 10/12/2014My college friend and her anthropologist daughter came with me to The Fort. We were seated right next to the glowing fire on a chilly night. Our waitress (Monique?) was most attentive. The food was superbly seasoned and served. The highlight of the evening was Jacob, a local mountain man, who strolls about, telling stories of his mountain life, regalia, showing us the thinness of his flint knife, and even singing us a low and beautiful lullaby. Marvelous evening. Don't miss the Roasted Bison Marrow served in the bone--yum! And, we are sure, you will remember Jacob and the recreation of Bent's Fort on a gezellig evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Our waiter was timely and very attentive. Overall, the ambiance was wonderful and the food great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Mary Beth is a wonderful server. The Fort helped make our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed a wonderful eveningDianaVDined on 10/11/2014This was our first time at The Fort, and we will definitely be back. It was a wonderful experience because of the incredible ambiance, delicious food, and learning the history of the restaurant and family behind it. What a special place to celebrate a special occasion or just to enjoy the different items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ServiceMomof3Dined on 10/11/2014We were celebrating my youngest son's 27th birthday. Neither he nor his girlfriend had been to the Fort before. His brothers made sure he tried the drink with the gunpowder in it. We couldn't get a reservation at 6 or 7 so we got one for 5. I was afraid the staff would try to rush us through dinner, but that was not at all the case. The food was excellent, as always. Our waitress and her helper were very attentive but not at all intrusive. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomeamh5928Dined on 10/10/2014Our dinner was wonderful. My father and grandmother loved the pot roast special!! Everyone was friendly and took great care of us. We cannot wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Historical" DiningDanielDDined on 10/9/2014This place wasn't really ever a fort, but you don't have to tell your out of town friends that. It's a cool place to dine with nice views and great for guests that want true western fare. Service was great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to excellent.seniorsDined on 10/8/2014Good food properly served by friendly personnel. Portions entirely too large for seniors. Understand now that meals can be shared by seniors.Special Features:
- Old WestbeefloverDined on 10/5/2014The Fort is a must go place for all you flat land folks, great food & drink to add to the visit, Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegashagDined on 10/5/2014The Fort has always been my favorite restaurant for special occasions. I have to say our last visit did not live up to my expectations. The food was good but for the price charged, I expect it to be spectacular. The lettuce in the salad was rusty, the bread and muffins were cold, and although my buffalo steak was tasty and tender, it had some gristle in it. For $49 I felt that was disappointing. Our server was friendly and prompt, except when my husband ordered a second drink, she forgot and never did remember until we reminded her, about 15 minutes after it was ordered. This is the first time we have ever been less than happy with The Fort, and I sincerely hope it's the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysJManDined on 10/4/2014The Fort has been doing $35 specials each month which includes dinner rolls, salad, entree, dessert and either a beer or a glass of wine. This month it was the Buffalo Pot Roast for the entree. It was well seasoned and a step above a normal pot roast. For $35 it cannot be beat. Join their mailing list to get the emails letting you know what their monthly specials are.Special Features:
- Special Evening80107Dined on 10/4/2014We had been to The Fort a few times before. The food was still great with some new items and some favorites from our previous visits. It's a little pricey but we got our moneys worth. Our table was located in the small section behind the main area. Be sure to ask for the main area if you want a view.Special Features:
- Very uniqueForttDined on 10/4/2014A wild game experience. ..foods that you do not see anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpricedbadger2196Dined on 10/3/2014My NY strip steak was mediocre and overcooked (I asked for medium) and the Fort potatoes and vegetables were nothing special. For a $45 steak, I expect much better. At that price, they're competing with the likes of Shanahan's and Elway's, who do a much better job. I can do a much better job at home for a lot less $$$.
- Not satisfied with service!Mustluvbostons83Dined on 10/3/2014I was so excited about coming to this place again, but when it got to our server who's name must have slipped my mind from the lack of personality and service made me think otherwise. She was clearly only in it for a job and could care less about us. We were ignored mutiple times etc and My boyfriend and I felt rushed to hurry along and get us out of there. Too bad I had such high hopes it might take me another 15 years if I ever decide to come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014Wonderful food and service get if you are going to red rocks for a concertSpecial Features:
- Best Buffalo ribs I have ever eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The Fort Restaurant is a great place to take out of town guests and clients. The food is awesome, the service is impeccable and the ambiance is like no other restaurant in Denver.Special Features:
- Special OccasioncapnlouieDined on 9/30/2014Our visit was a birthday event. The Fort is perfect for a special event of this type. Ambiance, food, and our waitress were perfect. The High Country menu, as always, was tops. It's a 45 minute drive (each way) from our home but well worth it. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The fort forgot but no big dealHungryRussiandahDined on 9/28/2014the fort has great food and amazing service. They worked with a last min time change. I requested the gentlemen that plays the flute. He never showed up. The fort said he would be there I think he is what made my first time memorable. Other then that they were great all the way! I'm glad everything worked out because my date was a disaster before so I was glade to know the forts food and environment was one thing I could look forward too in a crazy night. Love the fort and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeMushcatDined on 9/28/2014I really enjoyed my cocktail. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. I loved the unique combination of ingredients in the entree sides. Eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed1streviewDined on 9/27/2014We normally cannot afford this kind of restaurant, but we had saved for this. We hired a babysitter and a car service for a 7pm reservation on a Sat. night, looking forward to a great meal in a romantic, special place, as we had experienced the last time we visited a few years ago for our anniversary. Instead we found people dining in shorts and flip flops, a woman breastfeeding with the top half of her shirt completely removed while facing the entire lounge area, and children running and shrieking around the outside fire pit after dinner (about 9pm at night). We had a seat by the window, however, the view from the dinning area was completely obscured by outdoor tents. For a place featuring $50 entrees we were shocked.
- Not worth the drive or the priceUnpretentioDined on 9/26/2014Service was lacking. When I have to ask for more water, you'd think the servers would then monitor and fill our glasses on their own. But no. No water offered, I had to ask for it again. Just because you offer unusual menu items doesn't mean the food is necessarily flavorful. And lose the roaming pig-tailed flute player. Parking situation is ridiculous. You shouldn't need hiking boots to get to the front door.
- Birthday DinnerMustTRYallFoodDined on 9/26/2014The fort is DEFINITELY a must try! The buffalo steak was so juicy and like nothing I've ever had. The taste stands out and I'm STILL thinking about it days later! Was my first time there and worth the experience. The setting was pretty romantic too!Special Features:
- DisappointingbconjackDined on 9/25/2014Cold appetizer cold room bad game platter. Only good things were our waitress the salad and filet mignon
- birthdayVIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was very pricey. We were told how "melt in your mouth" the bison filet was, consequently, it was overcooked. Ambience would normally be great, but they were getting ready for a weekend festival. Therefore, tents blocked our view.Special Features:
- great views & service, average foodbirthdayboyDined on 9/22/2014we've been here before and the food was spectacular, so we know its potential. but on this particular night we were a little disappointed. I ordered the lamb special and my husband got the new york strip. my lamb was very chewy and underdone, and the steak was just ok. i was very much looking forward to the dessert that came with my meall, chocolate mouse, but other than pretty the hard chocolate shell it was also nothing special. although the food was edible, it was definitely not the unique melt-in-your-mouth quality one comes to expect from the fort's reputation and prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatGoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have heard about The Fort for years. We had out of town guests so we decided to take them to The Fort for a Saturday night dinner. The ambience inside is interesting. It was raining that night so we really could not experience everything that was offered outdoors. The food was good but far from great. Outside of some unusual entrées and game meats there was nothing special about our dinner. The service was fine, but we all found our waitress to be quite odd. The prices are extremely high for what you get. We had one appetizer, four dinners, no alcoholic drinks, no desserts and we still paid over $250. We have had much better steak dinners at Elway's restaurant in Denver. I don't think we will ever go back.Special Features:
- Not what I remember73dineDined on 9/20/2014I could not have been more disappointed in our experience Saturday night. The front desk was rude and our reservation was late without explanation. Our waitress got my order wrong and then to correct it served a raw elk chop. When you pay $60 for a steak it is fair to expect the best. This could not have been more opposite than that. This used to be a fun historic feeling restaurant, it certainly was not on Saturday.Special Features:
- lov2eatDined on 9/20/2014The lamb was terrible, full of gristle and fat ---very disppointing for the special item on the menu.Special Features:
- The view and service were great...PuppyPawsDined on 9/20/2014When we first arrived, we were sat in a very small room at a two top with a family of 8 sitting next to us. Not great for a romantic dinner. We asked to be moved and our server was great about moving us to a better table and after we were moved, the ambiance and view could be enjoyed. We have eaten at the Fort in the past and loved the food, however this time around, the food was just okay. We both had buffalo and although there was nothing wrong with the meal, there was really nothing memorable either regarding the food. Not sure if it was just an off night or what, however I think it will be awhile before we dine at The Fort again. Hoping they improve because we really do love the location.Special Features:
- Outstanding!RoyceDined on 9/20/2014I have been coming a few times a year for over 30 years, excellent every time!Special Features:
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014We have gone to The Fort on several very special occasions -- anniversaries and birthdays, as well as special family dinners. The food and service are always excellent and well worth the price. You will never be disappointed!Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisetashaDined on 9/19/2014We tried their special lamb sirloin. It was cooked exactly as we ordered. House wine complemented it nicely. Garlicky mashed potatoes were popular even with my picky eater, who skipped caramelized carrots. The salad was very fresh, with balsamic dressing adding just the right burst of flavor. Our favorite was chocolate mousse dessert in white and dark chocolate cups with a mint sprig. Service was prompt and courteous, we spent a relaxing enjoyable evening. This is our third time dining, and it was hands down the best overall experience there.Special Features: