19192 Hwy. 8
Morrison, CO 80465Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefort.com/
- Phone: 3036974771x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Matt Crow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Indian flute music on select nights.
- Special Events: Tesoro Cultural Center's 1830's Rendezvous and Spainsh Colonial Market coming up Sept. 28, 29, 2013 from 10am-5pm both days! Meet the mountinmen, and experience the Early West. Free parking and free admission. Fun for families !
A word from The Fort
Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Fort - Best Restaurants in Morrison ›
The Fort reviews from OpenTable diners
439 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (348)scenic view (330)romantic (166)good for groups (138)fit for foodies (132)great for outdoor dining (100)notable wine list (98)neighborhood gem (55)kid-friendly (44)late-night find (20)hot spot (17)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Did Not Live Up to the HypeAlexVIPDined on 8/29/2014Another restaurant week shortcoming. We were so excited to closeout restaurant week with dinner at The Fort after hearing so many good things about the place. It's location is well positioned next to some beautiful red rocks, and upon entering through the front gate you are greeted with an outdoor fire pit which sets a warming environment. The service was steady and pleasing, but the food was average at best. We may just have to give this place another try outside of restaurant week to see if the food improves off the regular menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We couldn't have asked for a better night out. The food was excellent and the waitress we had was exceptional. The company and view were great and the weather held out for us! We would highly recommend The Fort anytime to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prickely Pear Margarita bonusOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Wonderful table service and great atmosphere. Definitely try the vanilla bean locally made ice cream dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once is enoughallinanteDined on 8/29/2014It was an interesting experience but not worth repeating. The entrees that my husband and I ordered were very good but I'm not convinced that they are worth the price. The kids mac and cheese she got was just plain bad so all she ate was the corn which was delicious.Special Features:
- A Colorado GemDaveDined on 8/29/2014The Fort continues its legacy of providing amazing, outstanding food with quality service in a delightful setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014A unique atmosphere and great food. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014It was packed so it must be doing things right. Nice place to visit once like Casa Bonita for out of town guests. Could have used some more young staff to bus tables. If not for the week special, sorta overpriced but no shortage of patrons.Special Features:
- The Fort is Awesome!!TheRockDined on 8/28/2014The food was great and the service was impeccable! We went with friends who had not been there in years, and they were very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovelyjj2denverVIPDined on 8/28/2014Had a great table in the sunroom with a view. A little noisy next to the server's station but the food was excellent. Alexis was the high point of my dinner.Special Features:
- retiredDined on 8/27/2014Great for that special occasion or getaway. Service and food is excellent. They attended to you as a special guest in all aspects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal during restaurant weekWonderfulVIPDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed a very good meal at the Fort (my husband's first dining experience there, my second). The bison filet was fabulous, as was the tenderloin and quail combo. The dessert was lovely. The only drawback was the "seasonal" veggie (corn on the cob) which was tasty but due to being restaurant week, was pre-cooked & kept warm under the heat lamps a little long. Bonus: They gave us a $20 coupon for a return trip and we will make the trip back in the coming months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good seating notTCRiterDined on 8/27/2014Never had a bad meal at the fort. But the seating wasn't the best. Didn't feel like we were at highly rated resturant. Asked for view I had view of Crack between wood panel and wall with wire exposed next time we will just leave and eat else where.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Went for restaurant week and was very happy with the decision. Had 2 small children with our group and it was a kid friendly experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Good basic food. The price was right for Denver Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Great Choice for DRWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014First visit ever to The Fort. What an enjoyable evening. The views are spectacular. Service was impeccable and the food was above our expectations. The bison eggs are a fun and tasty appetizer. Very relaxed atmosphere and very clean. This was our choice for Denver Restaurant Week and we are not disappointed, and will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every penny!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014This was our first dining experience at The Fort. To be honest, before arriving, we were slightly apprehensive about the atmosphere. (Was it going to have that "upity" feel ?) That worry was quickly extinguished as we were seated ! Outstanging staff, perfect atmosphere for all, and amazing food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We were very disappointed in the quality of the food here. Our server was plenty friendly and attentive. It also has a fun atmosphere. However, due to the poor quality of the food and how overpriced it is, we will not be returning.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014No waiting for reservation. Service was very good. Food was excellent. Will definately return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colorado traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014The Fort is a Colorado tradition in all senses. It embodies our history in its physical building, it builds upon it in its culinary offerings and it preserves our spirit into the future. All the while we can enjoy great food, drink and a fabulous view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling Fort-ifiedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014I hadn't been to The Fort for years. Once a year my friend and I drive 285 as we take the scenic route to Santa Fe. Each time we pass near the restaurant, I say: "we should really go there some time." But it's an hour's drive from Boulder and we never do it. Las week we got an e-mail about the Restaurant Week specials and decided to go. I brought two friends, who had never had The Fort experience. They were blown away by the feel of the place, the marvelous food -- oh that honey chipotle salad dressing (darn, the store was out of it!), the prickly pear margaritas. Thanks for renewing and reinforcing an old, pleasant memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014We went because we'd always heard great things about the Fort. It did not disappoint. We loved the food!! The quail and the elk were our favorites. We will definetly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Game PlateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014The best meal is the Game Plate - Elk, Buffalo, and Quail... unique and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The food was excellent. It was a pleasant surprise to find that we were there during Restaurant week. We love the ginger sangrias. Great waitress.Special Features:
- Always awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We come here every year for our anniversary. This year, we accidentally scheduled during Restaurant Week. We still ordered off the main menu where everything from the drinks to the dessert was fantastic - except the mashed potatoes, which were cold. Even my replacement ones were luke warm. Regardless, it will not keep us from returning next year! Keep up the great work, Fort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeMonphyDined on 8/24/2014Another great dinner at the Fort. We really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fort Never Disappoints!Mthede1VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food and service at The Fort is always top notch...they even nailed Restaurant Week which is tough to do! I had the sirloin and my husband had the buffalo filet. Prepared perfectly. Don't miss their Prickly Pear Margarita- so delicious and unique. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014The food was good (it was restaurant week) so the menu was very limited. However, the kids menu was downright expensive and lacked "taste". $12.00 for a kids mac n cheese with no flavor is not my kids idea of dinner. There was mac but I can almost say no cheese. The adult meals were good "5 oz. sirloin with a teriyaki cornish hen". Now for the real "interesting" things. The bread and muffins were good, the alcohol was okay, the ice cream for the girls was expensive and it was ice cream, the service was good. The one thing that drove me crazy was the constant up selling. Yes I know, it is the restaurant biz but it almost felt like a car dealership after about the 3rd up sell.Special Features:
- Fun ambiance, good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went during Denver Restaurant Week. The place was packed, but service was still moving at a reasonable speed, and unhurried. We ordered both from the special event prix fixe menu, and the regular menu. Most everything was delicious. The buffalo filet in particular was excellent. There was a strong sense that everyone involved in the restaurant really cared about my experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and a great viewphishyjeffDined on 8/23/2014We dined here for the summer restaurant week in 2014. Often, I feel like the food during restaurant week isn't as good as it is the rest of the year, but I did not feel this way here. They also had special appetizers, cocktails and wine specials and we took advantage of all 3. The salad was fresh and crisp, the buffalo was cooked perfectly and very tender and flavorful and the quail melted in your mouth. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and available just the right amount of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencegmoneyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I are new to Denver and found The Fort to be a great place to visit and enjoy a great meal. The views are incredible and the atmosphere is extremely unique. Great experience that we are looking forward to returning to more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointed with the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Lived in colorado most of my life, and The Fort has a reputation of having rare exotic meats. I feel like that has seriously changed. I was looking forward to trying something I cannot get anywhere but The Fort. There were no specials, nor was there anything more exotic than elk or quail. That is not exotic in my opinion. I have eaten such foods as water buffalo, and Ostrich. This would be more exotic to me. I went there for this type of experience - something new and extremely rare. I can get good service or ambiance anywhere. The Fort used to be set apart by its variety of exotic meat selection. Unless this changes, I likely will NOT revisit the The Fort.Special Features:
- Somewhat priceyOverpricedDined on 8/21/2014While I still go to the Fort for special occasions, I seem to go away with the feeling of the meal being over priced for the quality of the food received. The wait staff was very nice but she was handling a large group along with a few tables, so the service was a little slow. The buffalo ribeye was a lot fattier than I expected, since it is known for being a lean meat. And my wife's ribs tasted more like roast meat than ribs, but maybe that is normal for buffalo ribs.Special Features:
- SKD123Dined on 8/21/2014We dine at The Fort every time we travel from the San Francisco Bay area to Colorado. This visit found the food and servers as "top-notch" as always. These elements are what have brought us back to this unique-in-every-way dining experience for years now. I always recommend The Fort when I know that friends and family are within traveling distance to The Fort's delicious dinners and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for out of town guestsBusinessDinerDined on 8/20/2014I have taken out of town guests here twice for business dinners. Each time, The Fort delivered!! This most recent time, as we sat on the patio enjoying our cocktails, a helicopter circled above and dramatically landed right in front of us on the helipad. What a dramatic entrance and impression to make on my guests. They were amazed at how perfectly attentive the wait staff are and the quality of the food is second to none!! I will most definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining adventurePSmurfVIPDined on 8/20/2014If you've never been here, and you're in the Boulder-Denver-Golden area, it is definitely worth a visit once or twice. Also, a great place to take out-of-state visitors, for the Old West ambiance. An over-the-top menu--mostly very ample cuts of Bison, elk, and some beef & lamb. Oh, and quail, which can be ordered as two or three of them. The Game Plate, consisting of a Bison sirloin filet, Elk chop & quail, solves the problem of choice. Interesting appetizers. Excellent wine list. The service is attentive, friendly and professional. An interesting combination of elegance & fine dining in a casual, western environment. Definitely bring the kids. Of course, a very pricey place. Check their interesting web site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicJayHDined on 8/20/2014Always a great meal with great service, thank you Orin. An historic setting, what could be better?Special Features:
- Hold the ForthungryDined on 8/18/2014Fantastic location, interesting history, unique menu, friendly serviceSpecial Features:
- Fun for 40thFoodiesfrombasaltDined on 8/17/2014I took my husband to The Fort for his 40th. Making the reservation online was quick and easy. I received a day of phone call to confirm as well. We were welcomed to the fort by an authentically dressed frontiersman. There was a fire in the fire pit with a heavenly aroma that really got us salivating. We were seated right away at a table for two near a window. Great views and even though the place was decently busy, the noise level was decent. Barrett was great. He made accommodations for our gluten allergy and we were able to have the duck quesadilla (delicious) on corn instead of flour tortillas. He also let us know which items were gluten free on the menu. We had elk, buffalo and quail. Yum! You have to try it for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fort is a Must See place 2 EatCyndiDined on 8/17/2014We traveled from California to Denver to go to a concert at Red Rocks. Since this was on my bucket list of things to do, just no ordinary food places would do. We made an early dinner reservation on OpenTable with ease. The Fort is just that...a big fort. The food was amazing. I had the duck Quessedilla to start accompanied with the white wine sangria that was to die for. I then had the hunters platter with elk, buffalo, and quail. Surprisingly it wasn't at all gamey. I then had a dessert called the Negrita, a chocolate delight!Special Features:
- sosopacoDined on 8/16/2014The food was passable. I have had better steak for half the price. The buffalo tounge appetizers were dry and the braised cheese was not gooy as advertised and a little too salty. The service was great.Special Features: