66 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theforgepizza.com/
- Phone: (510) 268-3200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM Monday - Thursday: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Friday & Saturday: 11:00 AM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Amber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Forge
Handcrafted Neapolitan Pizza, Beer, Wine and CocktailsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Forge reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (54)scenic view (43)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (32)kid-friendly (23)neighborhood gem (23)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)special occasion (9)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Rolling in the DoughtobinwDined on 11/11/2014I grew up a pizza guy. I love pizza of all kinds. Years of Chicago pizza changed my palette from thin to thick, but every now and then you need to go back. Enter Forge. They are actually somewhere in the middle, but the crust that emerges from their pizza is incredible. A sweet overtone compliments a wonderful texture. Add toppings and presto...heaven. Oh, and the cheese curds with the lite tempura batter...are worth the plunge. I rarely write reviews, but felt compelled to share this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good.SeanDined on 11/10/2014We had the Dark and Stormys, fried cheese curds, brussel sprouts and Mainlander pizza. Food was great, service was great, atmosphere was great. It's great seeing all this greatness come to JL Sq. Only minor complaint was being within earshot of a table with sales people discussing nonsense. At least there weren't many kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real pizza!SwmChc44Dined on 11/9/2014The food is delicious fr on their wood oven pizza (their specialty) to their water 2 table fish. Great food, libations, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodLawyerBobVIPDined on 11/5/2014Delicious cheese curd appetizer and brussellssprouts. Plus perfectly cooked pizza with light chewy crust. The real highlight was the excellent service. We were outside and needed to change tables which they did cheerfully and swiftly. Highly recommend the chocolate mousse with bacon which is a good one to share.Special Features:
- Outdoor diningLeskapDined on 10/28/2014Thanks for a lovely night at the Forge. We had a group of 7 multi-generation and multilingual friends. I was concerned about noise level for the older folks and for folks struggling with english not their first language. We sat outside where it was quieter, beautiful and plenty warm with the heaters. The fabulous Danielle served us and she was terrific. Everyone enjoyed their dinner, especially the pizzas. Thanks for a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitress wa mehpeopleskillsDined on 10/18/2014Everything was pretty good, but our waitress wasn't using her people skills to much. No thank you, no smile. She forgot she had our credit card in her pocket and when we alerted her, she just brought it out and left it with us and was gone without saying anything. I'm in no way an uptight person, but I happen to be a server myself, and I felt slighted a bit. You're servers should be on par with your food and prices. Great food as always though.Special Features:
- Our New Local Favorite PlaceKitKatDDined on 10/18/2014We originally went to The Forge for my husband's 40th birthday celebration, then went back four days later with our kids and granddaughter. Hip, fresh, fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice upscale pizza with a viewBCSKBMDined on 9/26/2014Decided to check out The Forge last Friday based on a friends recommendation. It was a decent weather night so we sat outside. Nice set-up. Good food. Pretty good service. I will definitely go again. Reservations highly recommended for Th/Fri/Sat evenings. Once winter sets in and they loose their outdoor space, tables will likely be hard to get.Special Features:
- Fun lively Meeting PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014A group of 7 for lunch seated outside was perfect. The pizzas were tastey and Apps yummy. The music was a bit loud and the chef a little heavy on the salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GracieVIPDined on 9/21/2014Busy and popular place, found the food a bit hit and miss. Some tasty, i.e. baby octopus and fried chicken; some were just average, i.e. the pizzas. Dough is a little sour and toppings a bit skimpy. The freshly shaved Parmesan is a nice touch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014Our group of 8 was seated right away at a large table inside which was nice. I found the food to be very good (Pizza's and Salad's). The service was efficient, but rushed. My biggest complaint was the loud music, it made it difficult to talk and took away from the dining experience. A little more low lighting(either candles on table or drop lights above). A dining area inside without Big Screen TV's. I would try The Forge one more time and try the outdoor patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic Water Front DiningmwkoaktownDined on 9/12/2014Great location on Jack London Square's waterfront. Nice outdoor seating area. Food is a lot like very good pub food. Inside the noise level can be very high. Try for outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romaine Babes salad is spectacular!KristinVIPDined on 9/9/2014The Romaine Babes salad is amazing (baby romaine, soft egg, deviled ranch dressing, breadcrumbs). We also really like the chicken wings. The pizzas are great (thin wood oven style), but the pizzas on the menu right now didn't interest me. We got the mushroom with homemade sausage pizza. It had tons of mushrooms (almost too many), but hardly any sausage on it. It was so-so. The pepperoni pizza was also just okay. The crust is amazing though, especially when you get a bite with a bit of sea salt sprinkled on the crust. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came here for a work luncheon.EvilleKimDined on 9/9/2014The food is good--above average for a more sophisticated casual pizza seafood place--but the friendly, accommodating service is what really made this place stand out. They checked in advance to see if we wanted to eat inside or outside & were really attentive throughout our stay. They even offered to provide us separate checks although there was quite a few of us. We would definitely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Good FoodRIGLEWDined on 9/8/2014We have been to The Forge twice and had a good experience both times. This week we took an out-of-town cousin with us. The drinks were excellent and most of the food was very good. We ordered the fried cheese curds with our drinks and they were excellent. We also ordered the appetizer ribs and chicken wings to share. We loved the smoky chicken wings, but the ribs were tasteless, no smokiness or sauce to go on them. The mushroom pizza and salad were outstanding. We ate inside because it was chilly outside, but they do have a large outdoor eating area complete with two gas fire pits. We did not order dessert because we were full. The waitress gave us very good service and the food came out pretty fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beer/cocktail centricOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Unfortunately they were out of 30% of the wines on their list and I wanted to order a bottle the evening I visited. So I had a draft beer...
- Fun pizza jointgingembreVIPDined on 8/29/2014The ambiance on a Friday night was happy and noisy and, despite the crowd, our drinks and food arrived promptly and in good order. The pizza is OK, but they have an excellent selection of local craft beers.Special Features:
- Fun on a Friday AfternoonroyalforkDined on 8/29/2014Had a business lunch there, dining outside. Very lively for the middle of the day, with a mix of working people and tourists. Everything was as good as you'd want. We took our time and enjoyed every minute.Special Features:
- Yum!annamo25Dined on 8/28/2014We like to call ourselves pizza critics since we lived in Chicago for 8 years. The corn pizza was a last minute pick and now we want more! Delish! Great food. Great service (we brought a toddler). Will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent pizzaLawyerBobVIPDined on 8/20/2014Delicious thin crust pizza. We had several different ones. Really like the cauliflower and arugula, plus the "fat boy" [which had meat]. We also enjoyed a delicious fresh fish sandwich on an ACME bun. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza "Light"LizBDined on 8/16/2014Four of us ate outside on a gorgeous evening! The weather was perfect and the view spectacular. Three of us had pizza and we all agreed it was excellent. The crust was perfect: thin, somewhat chewy, done to perfection. The toppings were great, just enough of everything and we could taste how fresh they were. We agreed that the pizza was filling; but not heavy, definitely not dripping grease and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The fourth person tried the burger. It was well-done (he asked for it to be just pink) and obviously "home made." His plate came with french fries that were straight from the same distributor McDonald's uses. The soft ice-cream & some unusual toppings offered for dessert was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceRobbieDined on 8/10/2014Great place to grab a pint and oven baked pizza. Cool location in Jack London square. Relatively casual but very trendy.Special Features:
- Waterfront Diningfood4UDined on 8/9/2014Five of us, including an 8-year-old, wanted to dine informally, close to home, and near the water. We first reserved a table at Haven, but when they were graceless enough to turn down my one-week-beyond-expiration TravelZoo coupon, we looked for another Jack London location and found it at The Forge. It was a chilly August evening so we sat outside near on of two fire pits. That was enjoyable. The music, however, was not ... too loud for my aging ears. Had all the standard stuff ... cheese curds, mussels, chicken and a very good corn and sausage pizza. I particularly enjoyed a bourbon and maple drink dubbed "Ways and Means". Nice enough evening but with so many other great places to visit in the East Bay, we probably won't return.Special Features:
- Great set-up for our large partyoutofalamedaDined on 8/6/2014Lots of pluses for our larger party: -option to sit outside -pre-order made it so much easier and the menu serves this purpose well -great food variety and tasty too! -service was great and efficient Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good casual diningfoodieluvDined on 8/5/2014Had a lingering lunch catching up with an old friend - waitstaff was wonderful and never rushed us. Special salad was fabulous - arugula, melon, goat cheese and pistachios, but pizza was not perfect. Crust was great but center of pie was soggy. Cocktails a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014First time visitor to The Forge, on a Saturday night. Made reservations, so got seated quickly. Food was great. Our young-adult son, who loves Round Table Pizza would not be happy here... but we liked the variety and tried some neat pizzas. Our favorite was the Roasted Corn... I only gave it 4 stars...just because I need more visits to try more stuff. But, all in all Very Good. Fun atmosphere and vibe.Special Features:
- audjieDined on 8/2/2014It's a big restaurant, which allowed us to catch up with friends and stay for a few hours without feeling like they needed our table. The cauliflower pizza was delicious as was the cordon bleu salad. There is a nice outdoor seating area too. Great spot to eat or just grab a drink and people watch. Our server was great. We were talking so much we didn't look at the menu for awhile. She would check in on us every now and then and not make us feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 7/31/2014This place has a lot of fancy thin crust pizzas. If you are looking to get full, don't come here. Our waitress must have forgotten to put in one of the many pizzas we ordered and we kept reminding her. Eventually, she said that it must have gone to the wrong table. Though tasty, it wasn't worth the wait outside when it was cold out.Special Features:
- Great Spot for a Nosh Before YoshisMimiDined on 7/30/2014We arrived late and told our waiter we needed to be at Yoshi's at 8:00 and he timed everything perfectly. The drinks and the pizza were delicious. I'd definitely come back.
- Pizza with a viewGrubHubDined on 7/30/2014Delicious artisan style pizza, good micro brews, great service and a nice location with a good waterfront view in Jack London Square. Plus Forge validates parking for the parking garage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FaveVIPOpenTablerVIPDined on 7/29/2014I dine out VERY often (both business & social) throughout SF and Oakland and this is a favorite go-to casual spot. Both indoor and outdoor seating are good, the crowd is friendly, and we're seated via OT or even walk-in without a long wait. I've recommended it to many friends, especially those from out of town as the marina is a great place to stroll before/after dinner. Also, being able to offer a good, reliable waterfront dining experience that's not $$$ is rare. (Haven is also a great option for more upscale fare.) My friends and I agree there are other good spots nearby but their long wait times, and over-crowdedness makes The Forge, for all the above, a much better option. Usual Order for 2: Baby Octopus/Salad, Mussels and Pizza.Special Features:
- ScooterVIPDined on 7/28/2014Took awhile for a Host to show up at the Door, Appetizer - Grilled Octopus Salad was very good although a bit small Great Pizzas...Fat Boy (Meat Pizza), Mushroom, ....PIZZA Yeah Baby! Pass on the RB, Coke, Or Creme Ice Cream Float.... Waitress was personable and explained dishes on the menu...Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMothrinkDined on 7/28/2014We had a reservation, but weren't happy with the table we were offered, and since it was our 25th wedding anniversary we wanted a booth. Our server gave us the booth in the back and it was perfect!! The service was exceptional, the food was great, the champagne was tasty and priced right. We will return!!Special Features:
- The following 189 reviews are from the The Forge reviews archive.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014I would have given this place a five star overall rating but our waiter was a bit off. The dessert menu was lacking for such a cool place too. Overall, we would totally recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forge at ForgeCityfoodieDined on 7/25/2014Service inattentive, ordered wine, margarita (house brand), one small plate to share and a pizza. The single wine list is limited, our pizza came first and they had to "find" our small plate. Pizza was mezza mezza. I come here for outdoor seating- you can't beat the view! That's what you are paying for. Bill for two came to $75.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AllegicFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The pizzas (excellent thin crust and flavor combo) were surprisely good, considering I am not a big pizza fan. It was recommended by a friend, so now I trust her taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good pizza with a Cali twistShoreGrrrlDined on 7/13/2014I was skeptical about eating at a pizza place in Oakland cuz I live in NJ and was told there is no good pizza here. But we were a group of five and all of us loved it. We shared apps, a salad, and three pizzas and there wasn't a crumb left over. Some very surprising but winning food combos on their pies -- don't be afraid to try any of them cuz everything is yummy. Plus you can dine on the pario overlooking the marina in Jack London Square. You beat that with a stick! 8)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!OaklandDined on 7/4/2014We spent a Friday afternoon at Forge with family from out of town. We loved it all...food ..service..outside dining. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza optionsMichaelDined on 6/30/2014The pizzas were great, fresh and made to order. Great selection of micro/craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotTarynDined on 6/29/2014I've been to Forge twice - both on hot evenings - nothing like a trip to the waterfront to escape the inland heat. Jack London Square is our go-to spot because for some reason, it's semi-deserted on a Sunday evening. It's long avenue along the Embarcadero is car-free and great for the kids to run around. The Forge has decent pizza (sometimes slightly undercooked) that is light on the cheese (for those of us who care!). The patio area is lovely with fire rings and a great view of the water. California living at its finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.