66 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theforgepizza.com/
- Phone: 5102683200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM Monday - Thursday: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM Friday & Saturday: 11:00 AM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Amber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Forge
Handcrafted Neapolitan Pizza, Beer, Wine and CocktailsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Forge - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
The Forge reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (60)scenic view (43)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (19)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (17)great for brunch (11)romantic (8)special occasion (7)late-night find (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun pizza jointgingembreDined on 8/29/2014The ambiance on a Friday night was happy and noisy and, despite the crowd, our drinks and food arrived promptly and in good order. The pizza is OK, but they have an excellent selection of local craft beers.Special Features:
- Fun on a Friday AfternoonroyalforkDined on 8/29/2014Had a business lunch there, dining outside. Very lively for the middle of the day, with a mix of working people and tourists. Everything was as good as you'd want. We took our time and enjoyed every minute.Special Features:
- excellent pizzaLawyerBobDined on 8/20/2014Delicious thin crust pizza. We had several different ones. Really like the cauliflower and arugula, plus the "fat boy" [which had meat]. We also enjoyed a delicious fresh fish sandwich on an ACME bun. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza "Light"LizBDined on 8/16/2014Four of us ate outside on a gorgeous evening! The weather was perfect and the view spectacular. Three of us had pizza and we all agreed it was excellent. The crust was perfect: thin, somewhat chewy, done to perfection. The toppings were great, just enough of everything and we could taste how fresh they were. We agreed that the pizza was filling; but not heavy, definitely not dripping grease and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The fourth person tried the burger. It was well-done (he asked for it to be just pink) and obviously "home made." His plate came with french fries that were straight from the same distributor McDonald's uses. The soft ice-cream & some unusual toppings offered for dessert was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterfront Diningfood4UDined on 8/9/2014Five of us, including an 8-year-old, wanted to dine informally, close to home, and near the water. We first reserved a table at Haven, but when they were graceless enough to turn down my one-week-beyond-expiration TravelZoo coupon, we looked for another Jack London location and found it at The Forge. It was a chilly August evening so we sat outside near on of two fire pits. That was enjoyable. The music, however, was not ... too loud for my aging ears. Had all the standard stuff ... cheese curds, mussels, chicken and a very good corn and sausage pizza. I particularly enjoyed a bourbon and maple drink dubbed "Ways and Means". Nice enough evening but with so many other great places to visit in the East Bay, we probably won't return.Special Features:
- Great set-up for our large partyoutofalamedaDined on 8/6/2014Lots of pluses for our larger party: -option to sit outside -pre-order made it so much easier and the menu serves this purpose well -great food variety and tasty too! -service was great and efficient Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good casual diningfoodieluvDined on 8/5/2014Had a lingering lunch catching up with an old friend - waitstaff was wonderful and never rushed us. Special salad was fabulous - arugula, melon, goat cheese and pistachios, but pizza was not perfect. Crust was great but center of pie was soggy. Cocktails a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014First time visitor to The Forge, on a Saturday night. Made reservations, so got seated quickly. Food was great. Our young-adult son, who loves Round Table Pizza would not be happy here... but we liked the variety and tried some neat pizzas. Our favorite was the Roasted Corn... I only gave it 4 stars...just because I need more visits to try more stuff. But, all in all Very Good. Fun atmosphere and vibe.Special Features:
- audjieDined on 8/2/2014It's a big restaurant, which allowed us to catch up with friends and stay for a few hours without feeling like they needed our table. The cauliflower pizza was delicious as was the cordon bleu salad. There is a nice outdoor seating area too. Great spot to eat or just grab a drink and people watch. Our server was great. We were talking so much we didn't look at the menu for awhile. She would check in on us every now and then and not make us feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 7/31/2014This place has a lot of fancy thin crust pizzas. If you are looking to get full, don't come here. Our waitress must have forgotten to put in one of the many pizzas we ordered and we kept reminding her. Eventually, she said that it must have gone to the wrong table. Though tasty, it wasn't worth the wait outside when it was cold out.Special Features:
- Great Spot for a Nosh Before YoshisMimiDined on 7/30/2014We arrived late and told our waiter we needed to be at Yoshi's at 8:00 and he timed everything perfectly. The drinks and the pizza were delicious. I'd definitely come back.
- Pizza with a viewGrubHubDined on 7/30/2014Delicious artisan style pizza, good micro brews, great service and a nice location with a good waterfront view in Jack London Square. Plus Forge validates parking for the parking garage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FaveVIPOpenTablerVIPDined on 7/29/2014I dine out VERY often (both business & social) throughout SF and Oakland and this is a favorite go-to casual spot. Both indoor and outdoor seating are good, the crowd is friendly, and we're seated via OT or even walk-in without a long wait. I've recommended it to many friends, especially those from out of town as the marina is a great place to stroll before/after dinner. Also, being able to offer a good, reliable waterfront dining experience that's not $$$ is rare. (Haven is also a great option for more upscale fare.) My friends and I agree there are other good spots nearby but their long wait times, and over-crowdedness makes The Forge, for all the above, a much better option. Usual Order for 2: Baby Octopus/Salad, Mussels and Pizza.Special Features:
- ScooterVIPDined on 7/28/2014Took awhile for a Host to show up at the Door, Appetizer - Grilled Octopus Salad was very good although a bit small Great Pizzas...Fat Boy (Meat Pizza), Mushroom, ....PIZZA Yeah Baby! Pass on the RB, Coke, Or Creme Ice Cream Float.... Waitress was personable and explained dishes on the menu...Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerMothrinkDined on 7/28/2014We had a reservation, but weren't happy with the table we were offered, and since it was our 25th wedding anniversary we wanted a booth. Our server gave us the booth in the back and it was perfect!! The service was exceptional, the food was great, the champagne was tasty and priced right. We will return!!Special Features:
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014I would have given this place a five star overall rating but our waiter was a bit off. The dessert menu was lacking for such a cool place too. Overall, we would totally recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forge at ForgeCityfoodieDined on 7/25/2014Service inattentive, ordered wine, margarita (house brand), one small plate to share and a pizza. The single wine list is limited, our pizza came first and they had to "find" our small plate. Pizza was mezza mezza. I come here for outdoor seating- you can't beat the view! That's what you are paying for. Bill for two came to $75.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AllegicFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The pizzas (excellent thin crust and flavor combo) were surprisely good, considering I am not a big pizza fan. It was recommended by a friend, so now I trust her taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good pizza with a Cali twistShoreGrrrlDined on 7/13/2014I was skeptical about eating at a pizza place in Oakland cuz I live in NJ and was told there is no good pizza here. But we were a group of five and all of us loved it. We shared apps, a salad, and three pizzas and there wasn't a crumb left over. Some very surprising but winning food combos on their pies -- don't be afraid to try any of them cuz everything is yummy. Plus you can dine on the pario overlooking the marina in Jack London Square. You beat that with a stick! 8)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!OaklandDined on 7/4/2014We spent a Friday afternoon at Forge with family from out of town. We loved it all...food ..service..outside dining. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza optionsMichaelDined on 6/30/2014The pizzas were great, fresh and made to order. Great selection of micro/craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotTarynDined on 6/29/2014I've been to Forge twice - both on hot evenings - nothing like a trip to the waterfront to escape the inland heat. Jack London Square is our go-to spot because for some reason, it's semi-deserted on a Sunday evening. It's long avenue along the Embarcadero is car-free and great for the kids to run around. The Forge has decent pizza (sometimes slightly undercooked) that is light on the cheese (for those of us who care!). The patio area is lovely with fire rings and a great view of the water. California living at its finest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous day and great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014Instead of a sit down dinner for my birthday, I opted for strolling around Jack London Square, and having an outdoor lunch at Forge. We ordered several salads and the chicken wings (they are huge wings!), but thought the watermelon salad was the most creative and refreshing. Then on to 2 pizzas (mushroom and sausage is perfect, and the crust is REALLY good!), and a free desert since it was my actual birthday! Service (Helen) was spot on, and kept everything moving. Good attitude, too. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- excellentekate21Dined on 6/29/2014The Forge is THE place to go at Jack London Square. Great food, great service,great ambience. Love the place. It is a great addition to the neighberhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food - Poor ServiceThreeToGoVIPDined on 6/21/2014Never disappointed by the food. Have dined there five times and usually on reservations. Immediately order drinks but the appetizers and salads arrive almost instantaneously and prior to the cocktails. Constant pressure to order and leave. Bus boys constantly trying to take plates which still have food on them. Never offered to see dessert menu. Check brought within moments of dinner plates taken. Servers always have nice personalities, but it has become almost comical experiencing this style of "rushed" service. FYI, we usually order four cocktails, two apps, a salad, two entries and two desserts for two adults and an eight year old. Certainly the bill and tip move than cover our time at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer + Great Pizza = FunKlewDined on 6/21/2014The service was attentive and the food was great. They really have nailed the outdoor dining + gourmet pizza formula!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Forge rocks...WorldDinerVIPDined on 6/7/2014A definite visit if in Jack London Square area in Oakland. Something for everybody. Pizza are solid, but we loved the mussels and grilled octopus salad. Many beers on tap and corkage fee is nominal. Service was outstanding and overall just a great dining experience.Special Features:
- JFergVIPDined on 6/6/2014We sat outside, so the noise level was fine. Inside was pretty loud. Nice view of the water from outside too. Really good cocktails and wood-fired thin crust pizza. Hamburger was fine, but not exceptional. The wait staff was efficient, and nice to my kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PizzaDraganDined on 6/5/2014We decided to eat outside, attracted by the romantic ambiance created by very effective fire pits and a series if IR heaters that enabled us not to notice a relatively cold evening. Our server was very friendly and fast, gave us great recomendations on what to order. We ordered a pizza with chorrizo and corn, and it was, as my wife described it, perfectly balanced combination of tastes. The best part was an amazing crust that was so very tasty, thin, with a wonderful flavor of a brick oven. Desert was a cheese cake made in house that actually tasted as a home made product. All in all this was a great find, thanks Open Table on helping us find it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forge ComebackOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014Forge has completely vamped their service and bartender staff into a top notch group! The food, ambiance and staff are all fantastic. The experience we had was notable and we will return even though it is over an hour away! I have nothing bad to say about the place! What a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningGdokVIPDined on 5/23/2014The chicken wings are definitely the standout. The fatboy pizza is also super-yummy. The cheese curds are the things that everyone talks about, but they're basically upscale mozzarella sticks. The server was great - friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The kitchen has its act together and the food came out quickly.Special Features:
- neighborhood hang outsmp17Dined on 5/16/2014We really enjoy dining at Forge. The waitstaff is great, the food is good and the place has a fun energy. We've gone both with and without a reservation and did not have to wait long. One drawback to having the doors open were the flies. Everything can't be perfect all of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/11/2014I've eaten here twice. Once for business and once with family. Both times the food was fresh with lots of interesting flavors. I wish for their brunch menu they had more kid friendly items like pancakes or waffles. It's more adult fare there. They have a kids menu but it's pretty limited and boring. Request outside seating if that's what you want, it wasn't available even 15 min after opening. I'll go again because I like the ambience and food is guaranteed to be good.Special Features:
- The following 171 reviews are from the The Forge reviews archive.
- young crowd. good foodandrodineDined on 5/3/2014We had the potato pizza and cauliflower pizza. Both were very good. Restaurant was SUPER noisy due to warriors/clippers playoff game. There was also VERY loud rock playing making it nearly impossible to have any conversation with tablemates. Couldn't hear server either. Otherwise it was pretty good. Hint: we're over 50 whish is not the target market of this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Impeccable service.FrequentEaterVIPDined on 4/27/2014It's a pizza and burger joint, yet the operations side puts many other places to shame. These guys know how to run a restaurant. Love the Three Cheese pizza (with arugula). The chicken wings and fried chicken are always excellent, and the salads are also recommended. The patio is fantastic, but indoor dining is good, too.Special Features:
- Great at Jack London Squaregreengrocer1Dined on 4/26/2014We had reservations for 9 at 5:30 and were greeted in a most pleasant manner and immediately seated. Our waiter came up within 5 minutes and took our drink orders. We were served promptly and the remainder our our group came in and were also seated. We ordered some appetizers, which were all very good ( cheese curds, brussel sprouts, baby octopus). We also ordered some salads which were excellent. For our dining, we ordered 6 different pizzas which were all very good, but the crust was GREAT!! The wait staff was excellent and unassuming and tended to our every need quietly and professionally. Would definitely eat at this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza everkmillerVIPDined on 4/18/2014This place has really great food - it's simple, not too expensive and a great place to have dinner with your dog.Special Features:
- Forge on!!JenEliseDined on 4/13/2014This place is awesome. Great food very creative feels like comfort food with a twist. The staff if attentive and keeps things moving. If you have not been here yet you should give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour happinessPizzaAddictDined on 4/10/2014$4 house wines and happy-hour-priced Margherita pizzas before 6 pm made our group's early dinner tab really reasonable. I'd go back in a heartbeat ANY DAY for the cheese curds and crispy Brussels sprouts from the starters menu, as well as the potato pizza (which has bacon). Service was quite attentive. Too bad we arrived just a tad too late to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisan pizzafoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014Good quality Napolitana-styled artisan pizzas, local craft beers, small production wines, friendly service and an outdoor fire pit are the makings for a warm and casual dining experience along the waterfront at very reasonable prices. Oh and they welcome dogs on the patio too. We keep coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.