The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 410-366-0606x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please cotact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
507 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (390)neighborhood gem (323)hot spot (248)special occasion (190)great for brunch (154)good for groups (132)vibrant bar scene (130)great for lunch (65)romantic (56)late-night find (47)notable wine list (37)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Service was spot on. Our Amish pretzel appetizer was fabulous and our entrees great. husband had the bison special with baby red skin potatoes and haricots verts, and I had two 'small' plates as my entree - the ahi tuna over tzatziki and the black and blue beef tips. Meats were prepared exactly to order.Special Features:
- another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Went for brunch when a friend was in town. We had a wonderful time and great food.Special Features:
- happy with our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I brought two friends here for brunch along with our infant daughter. I was able to quickly make reservations on open table about a half hour before we arrived and everything was great! It was super busy (meaning also a bit noisy) but our wait time for food and service was great. They have high chairs but not slings so they were able to accommodate us by seating us at the banquette with some extra room to set the baby carrier next to us. The food was awesome and well portioned. We will definitely be back and would love to try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltimore weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great dining experience at The Food Market. The vibe was hoppin'. We arrived early & snagged seats at the bar where we were served promptly by capable bartenders who were managing a busy Sat evening then were escorted to our table at the designated time. The menu was interesting and varied. Our dining choices were delish - grilled lamb porterhouses for a starter, lobster roll and crab cake with lobster mac & cheese for entrees. The tables are relatively close together but we didn't feel cramped nor did we feel as though conversations were being overheard. The restaurant offered courtesy valet parking as parking choices are limited in the neighborhood; valet was prompt & efficient. We'll be back when in Charm City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!Beachlver20Dined on 8/29/2014A friend and I went to Food Market for my birthday lunch. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. He made several suggestions and answered any of our questions. The food came and we enjoyed it completely. I had the Crab Benedict and it was outstanding! I would recommend this restaurant as well as visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Food Market. The service was very good and the food was outstanding. The bench (along the wall) is not very comfortable, and sits higher than the chairs so you feel kind of akward. Thanks!Special Features:
- Go to spot-awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/25/2014Watermelon gazpacho - the best!! Beet salad, tomato salad, salmon entree Baltimore club (2 meals easy) and lobster roll fill the bill!! Service was just right and entertaining! Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudbmorefoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time at the Food Market. I was really excited to try the menu - there were a lot of options that looked delicious. We were seated at a table for two in the middle of the room and on a night with every table taken, it was quite loud. Bf and I shared the mussels, pork tacos, shrimp and grits, and scallops over corn risotto. Everything was good and cooked well (only complaint was I thought the sauce over the grits made it kinda soupy so you couldnt really appreciate the grits). Dessert was a peach crisp/cobbler with chocolate ice cream which was also tasty. Overall it was a good meal but the loud atmosphere took away from the evening somewhat as it was really hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Great for food but not for talkingdisappointedDined on 8/23/2014After hearing about this new local eatery we were delighted to be able to enjoy the excellent food, but found the noise level so loud that we couldn't speak with our good friends unless we engaged in a bit of mime. We decided that next time we would cook at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edenDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely fantastic, wonderful, and incredible...highly, highly recommend....Special Features:
- One of the bestUsuallygreatVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the best restaurants in Baltimore. Absolutely love the food and service.Special Features:
- Well done vs RareKhalekQueDined on 8/22/2014Our 9:15 reservation did not get us in until 9:45. The lobster appetizer was pretty good and the drinks were ok. However I ordered the "special" which was a steak well done and it came out hot pink all the way thru. Because it was already late I decided to bring the meal home. We decided to share the bread pudding dessert which was pretty good. Why force customers to make a reservation if they will have to wait a half hour??
- consistently good foodnuggetDined on 8/22/2014never had a bad meal here. in fact, never had anything less than a great dish hereSpecial Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Had a great meal! Loved the fish....everyone in our group thought it was one of the best meals they have had recently!Special Features:
- Baltimore FavElisiaDined on 8/22/2014Love this place. Second time back and still love it. I think I would recommend lots of little plates and splitting an entree. Bread pudding is amazing for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014We were moving our daughter to college. After a long, full-day drive, we rewarded ourselves with dinner at the Food Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014the restaurant is too loud; very hard to hear the conversation at our table. You need to install some noise-baffling material. The food is very very good, but the noise level hurts the experience so much that we hesitate to come back.Special Features:
- Always deliciousdhwymanparkDined on 8/21/2014I brought some mid-westerners in for seafood and they were so happy with the variety. Everything was delicious. I'm in love with the mussels.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Everything was delicious. My favorite was the fried the pickles. Dan, our server, was simply outstanding!Special Features:
- Always very goodChefWifeFoodieDined on 8/18/2014I took my boyfriend out to dinner this time and we both had a great meal. We love the pork belly appetizer everything in the plate is so good I hope they never take it off the menu. The street tacos and beer salad we had was also very good. For dinner we had the seabass and the duck and we both enjoyed our dishes very much :). Can't forget dessert though we had the chocolate ice cream cake with a banana anglaise which was so good. Our server was very nice and we really enjoyed our meal here, we always do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What?!?!JTD443VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was delicious. My friend and I split the edamame (there is plenty) each had a ceaser salad (crisp, fresh) and shared the creamy cheesy garlicky shrimp (the sauce is devine). We split the desert (any one of them is delicious) but by then the restaurant was full and we had to yell across the table to hear one another. No point in staying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy it every time!JimHVIPDined on 8/17/2014We've been to Food Market a few times in the last eighteen months and have enjoyed a consistently nice experience. The food is reliably good quality and the service is on par. Some of the tables feel a bit too close along the walls to have a private conversation like for a serious date but it's perfect for a fun a fun brunch or dinner. We've even hung out, had drinks and dinner at the bar and made that our Friday night out.Special Features:
- Great meal!Tobin77Dined on 8/16/2014We went to The Food Market for my birthday dinner. While the seating is a little close for my comfort level (the guests next to us almost knocked over our drinks getting up from their table), the food and experience were fantastic! We we first arrived, there was a birthday card waiting for me at our table. Our server was awesome and really attentive. The food was awesome - I had the sea bass and my husband had the burger. We had lots of appetizers - the fried pickles are amazing! The Amish pretzels and hot nuts are pretty fantastic, as well. Overall, it was a great dinner and we'll definitely be back. P.S. The free valet parking is such a great perk - I hope the restaurant keeps it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food - noise level highBaltimoredinerDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at The Food Market twice in the last couple of weeks. Once for Sunday brunch and once for Saturday night dinner. The food is fantastic and it is very difficult to decide because there are too many wonderful and delicious choices. I have nothing but "five stars" to say about the food. The big problem for me, as it was when the restaurant opened two years ago, is the noise level. While bearable for brunch, for dinner, we finally had to leave sooner after we ate because we simply could not hear each other. While OK at first because we had an early reservation, it was impossible by the time we left. It will be a long time before I go there again for dinner.Special Features:
- Fabulous menu!GirlGotGlitterDined on 8/16/2014I often don't feel torn over wanting to order many options at a restaurant but here I honestly wanted to order almost everything! Mimosas were large and tasty. Loved the pretzels and beer cheese! And the complementary donut holes were a tasty touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMrs2brychDined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing and so were the drinks. Its really small and the tables are close together so just be mindful. Its very loud also, kind of reminds me of restaurants in NYC. The waitress was awesome, gave great suggestions. Cannot wait to go back!!! YummmmiiiiiSpecial Features:
- Exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This was a special occasion- anniversary dinner. The restaurant exceeded our expectations. Food was amazing. Not cheap, but definitely worth what we paid.Special Features:
- Believe the HypeJesseDined on 8/15/2014Visited for dinner August 2014. Free valet! Has an organized and refined hustle and bustle that compliments the open, airy design. Open kitchen is a treat to watch. Loud, but no so loud that my wife and I couldn't enjoy our conversation. Superb service with encyclopedic knowledge of the menu and excellent recommendations. We actually felt pampered. The menu was almost, if not truly, identical to the online version, which I appreciate. The food was bordering on excellent, consistently through the many courses my wife and I shared. It's the first time in probably two years we've "fine dined" in Baltimore and didn't feel like we over-paid. Would eagerly go again.Special Features:
- Always super!mtwashDined on 8/14/2014Had friends in from Boston and knew there was only one place to take them. Food and service were great in a warm and upbeat environment. They loved the "NY" feel of the restaurant and were completely impressed with Baltimore.Special Features:
- Fabulous...againmapbVIPDined on 8/12/2014As usual, we had a great meal -- scallops, bronzino, fried oysters (curry-scented) and tuna meatballs (yes, it sounds weird, but they were wonderful). Peach crumble, which tasted like my grandmother's peach cobbler, with cognac ice cream, and the heath bar bread pudding. All was terrific, and we were greeted with a smile, despite the late hour (10:00 on a Monday night). My only request is that they bring back the half-baked blondie for dessert -- it is one of the best things I have ever tasted...EVER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLadyAWadeDined on 8/10/2014Highly recommend the oysters and crab soup for the first course!! Both were very delicious! Highly recommend the rock fish for the second course. It was pan cooked and also very delicious. Highly recommend the heath bar pudding or peach desserts. Oh' my gosh, they will melt in your mouth!! Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute SpotKColieDined on 8/10/2014I went here for date night. The ambience was outstanding. However I ordered the shrimp dinner and it was bland. Not a lot of seasoning. The peach crumble was amazing as well as the maryland crab soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was a last minute brunch reservation. We were able to be seated right away. The server was less than energetic but everything came on time. You can't go wrong with a breakfast pizza!Special Features:
- Noisy & reservations don't matterCharmCityEatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was very good, and the service was great. We did have a few issues that will prevent us from coming back. First we had a reservation, yet we're seated after a couple of people who didn't have a reservation, and they got a prime window spot! They were out of the first two things we ordered from the menu. Lastly, the acoustics were so poor we could hardly hear each other from across a small table. We enjoyed our food, ate quickly and left.
- This place is hopping!AnneVIPDined on 8/9/2014We went to Food Market for an early Saturday evening dinner during restaurant week. While Hampden was pretty quiet, the restaurant was hopping! Not an empty table in the place - and for good reason. The menu was great, the food was fabulous, and the service was exceptional. We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu, which had a nice variety. The crab soup (a regular menu staple) was fabulous - full of vegetables and flavor. The rockfish was delicious, and the shrimp and grits were as good as any we had in Charleston, SC. We were so stuffed after two courses that we couldn't eat dessert (and couldn't take it with us as we were on our way to a show.) The manager gave us a credit for dessert the next time. And there will be a next time!Special Features:
- Good DiningReneNatashaDined on 8/8/2014Great options for restaurant week and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the wait staff was great. The seafood dishes are a hit. I would not suggest trying their Baby Back rib dish. The dish was dry and overly barbequed.Special Features:
- steak fritesJaLaDiDined on 8/8/2014steak frites can be ordered with sirloin, hanger, or filet. I got the sirloin and it was deliciously thick cut piece medium rare. Seared black and juicy. Cooked perfectly. The summer veggies tastefully done. I'm still lingering on the crispy parmesean fries. Cravable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaltimoreLouDined on 8/8/2014The food was wonderful, the service excellent, we got to sit by the window so we had a great view of the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kenlevVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was restaurant week and it was still a fantastic creative meal. We were a party of four and tried different selections and everyone was raving about the food.Special Features:
- Great food, slow down the servicePleasantdinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was as good as always, I has Smith Island cake for the first time and was blown away. The service needs to stop and breathe a little. We did not get bread after we were seated and placed our drinks order and we even asked for bread after we got our drinks but still never received any. The service seemed to be set to high speed, intent on getting us served and out the door. The noise level should also be addressed, conversation was only possible by almost yelling to my partner across the table from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.