The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 410-366-0606x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please cotact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
478 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (374)neighborhood gem (311)hot spot (244)special occasion (159)good for groups (128)great for brunch (125)vibrant bar scene (120)romantic (53)great for lunch (50)late-night find (37)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- FantastickennethDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. The food was outstanding along with the service. The pineapple martini was delish. Definately recommend Food Market to friends.Special Features:
- First time dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great time at the Food Market. The dishes were seasoned to perfection. Some dishes were classic ones. I had the lobster roll and it was absolutely delicious. And other dishes were interesting combinations of foods I wouldn't have thought putting together but were still very well done. My husband had the acorn squash stuffed with spaghetti squash, pecans and cherries and it was fantastic and a great dish for fall. The cocktails were also well designed. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- The Food Market- A first time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Heard about the Food Market from friends and although a bit of a drive from Harford County decided to give it a try. We shared four of the small plates and they were uniformally good. Dinner was equally good with nice size portions and wonderful texture and taste. Scallops on a bed of butternut squash risotto with still crunchy spaghetti squash was a delight. One of our group was celebrating a birthday and the server presented the desserts with candles on each plate. A really nice touch. Will definitely return again.Special Features:
- Delicious, great service, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I met a friend for brunch and would go back for sure. The atmosphere was lively, the service was top notch and friendly, and the food was to die for. What an incredible start to the day--definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Food MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014This is a neighborhood place for me as I just moved into the area. I come for happy hour and the servers always greet me by name. When I want to impress my foodie friends I take them here. Love it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFoodiejoeDined on 10/17/2014Had great food and a great night out there. Street tacos could have been spiced more. Pork belly, beet salad, oysters were great. Lamb small plate was really good. Cookie dough desert was crazy sweet... Too sweet but we were warned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing evening!MommaDined on 10/17/2014As usual Food Market didn't disappoint. Food was amazing as was the service. My on;y complaint is the noise level. I did have a party of 4 and once again it was very hard to hear. But we suffered through!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaraOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Delicious food, as always. Our server was great for most of them time, but seemed to vanish towards the end. Would give ambiance 5 starts excet for the uncomfortable chairs.Special Features:
- killer brunchandres744Dined on 10/12/2014I really need to make it there for dinner so I can at least compare it to their brunch. Every thing on the morning menu is amaxig, cooked to perfection. Fried chicken and biscuits, crab cake Benedict... All of it, amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceask12Dined on 10/11/2014We were here at 7 on a Saturday so it was busy and a little noisy. But the food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- Great space and excellent food.TlovesfoodDined on 10/11/2014Had a great experience for brunch here. Love the feeling of the space, industrial yet warm. The high ceilings allow the space to feel open and not too crowded, and brings down the noise level. It was a great place to enjoy good food and it was easy for all of us to have good conversation and hear each other easily even in a larger group. Service was good, very accommodating/flexible (changing party size was very easy, seated immediately and on time for our reservation). Some food highlights included bruleed grapefruit from the easy breakfast, papa johntay and berry good sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishCaitlinDined on 10/10/2014Had lovely dinner here with my boyfriend late one Friday evening. Despite being busy, it was quite enough for conversation and the service was wonderful. I would recommend the crab cakes to anyone! Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great Night OutDinnerDinerDined on 10/10/2014The food was top notch. What a find. Another local restaurant, Ze Mean Bean, in Baltimore has been my go to gourmet restaurant for the past ten years without rival until now. The Food Market is earthy, savory, local and sustainable deliciousness. It will, for sure, be on my short list of recommended places to dine in Baltimore.Special Features:
- one night in baltimoreHowardVIPDined on 10/9/2014was having dinner with a friend from baltimore, saw the food market online and decided to give it a try. The crab cakes were fantasticSpecial Features:
- Love the vibe of this hot spot!DaveKDined on 10/8/2014This is our second time coming to this restaurant. We'd come more often, however, for us it's close to an hours drive. The atmosphere is very trendy and on-time! The menu is quite diverse and offers quite a few Gluten Free options. I love the pork belly, however, this time it was slightly overcooked. Other than that, our meal was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fabulousfeljoDined on 10/8/2014Maybe the best lamb (small plate) I've ever had. My friend and I split that, plus the shrimp small plate, a cesaer salad and a bison burger with fries. All spectacular -- what Woodberry Kitchen's food should be, but isn't. The service was equal to the food -- very attentive but not annoying. The waiter knew we were splitting, and without our asking brough out the salad on two plates. Nice. When my friend asked for her wine right away but I asked for my glass to be held until food came out, that's exactly how it was delivered. That shouldn't be hard to pull off, but many restaurants can't do it. Expensive but worth it. Warning: very loud when crowded. And that seems to be all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the big deal?cheeriosVIPDined on 10/7/2014I was very eager to try The Food Market due to word of mouth and the OT ratings. We thought it was fine but by no means noteworthy. Even on a weeknight the noise level was deafening. The brussel salad was the top! We won't rush back. There are definitely better places nearby.Special Features:
- Always an exceptional experienceJeffDined on 10/7/2014My wife and I have visited The Food Market many times. Each and every time has been an exceptional experience. The service is great. The bar drinks are perfect and the food is awesome. We are also impressed by the food selections as we like to vary our food choices. We have to drive up from the Baltimore Inner Harbor, so it isn't as easy as walking to other restaurants, but it's worth the drive without question.Special Features:
- Love the Food Market!VerdeVIPDined on 10/6/2014Chad from the Food Market does an outstanding job on the menu. The menu items are so unique and so delicious. I tried the spaghetti squash dish - perfect for Fall! Thank you for using such fresh ingredients!!Special Features:
- DinneroutVIPDined on 10/4/2014Too loud for a night out with someone you actually want to talk to, but the food is good, so if you can lip read in between bites, you'll be good.Special Features:
- Amazing BrunchbrunchDined on 10/4/2014Baltimore has a lot of good places to eat brunch at however my first trip to The Food Market was amazing. The service was great, we never felt hovered over but never had to look for our waiter. The food was spectacular and the atmosphere was fun. Their drink list was vast and we sampled many and had trouble finding something we didn't like. The decor was modern but i didn't feel like i was eating in the ER, however the metal chairs are a little on the uncomfortable side. The group i was with wanted to stay longer but the people that had the metal chairs were happy when the bill arrived. Uncomfortable metal chairs aside i will be back to try lunch on the weekends or dinner.Special Features:
- Loved the Food MarketReneesReviewDined on 10/3/2014Both the small and large plates were terrific and very interesting. Noise level is high but not overwhelming. Fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EsseDined on 10/3/2014Fun place with great food, but on most recent visit noise level detracted from the experience. I can't call it energetic - more chaotic and cacophonic. Service was slow, but it was very busy, so somewhat understandable. I'll still go back again, but maybe not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food & ServiceAnnRDined on 10/3/2014This is a wonderful restaurant to go to with friends. The food is outstanding and the service is wonderful - our waiter was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu, so he could help us make great choices. The only downside is that it is extremely noisy, so if you were looking for a quiet, romantic dinner for two, that's not going to happen. I look forward to going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat Place and Wonderful FoodADECatonsvilleMDDined on 10/3/2014This is on a really cool (but not stiffly "uptown") city street. The restaurant design is modern simple (not fancy) and feels good. We had lamb and fried soft crab that were fantastic. The staff is friendly and reaches out in a way that is not intrusive. The caveat, for us, is the noise level building pretty quickly, but not unexpectedly, from around 5:30 PM on a Friday.Special Features:
- Totally enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Food was terrific; service excellent but it is a noisy place! We will return!!!Special Features:
- Losing it edge!murphysworldDined on 10/2/2014I love the room and the energy but the food and service has slipped a notch. I hope they can bring it back as it has been one of my fav spots in Baltimore since opening.Special Features:
- Very happyMjrzkyDined on 9/30/2014Looked up other reviews and a friend had good experience there as well. I'd recommend a reservation even on a week night because the place is popular. Service was friendly and knowledgeable about drinks and menu. The menu is a little high but well worth it considering quality and preparation. I'd go again and suggest they open a second location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I already want to go backEatthewholelemonDined on 9/28/2014We went for our anniversary as it's a tad pricey for us to go too regularly. The food was awesome. I'm still mad I left my beef short ribs to-go at the table. They were very tender (fancy pot roast) but the bread and butter crusted sea bass was the clear winner. Salty, flavorful, not at all dry. The hot crab dip was also amazing and the popcorn was good too. We finished with the apple cake which was also incredible--by that time I could have rolled out the front door if someone had given me a push. My favorite drink was the French Tease--I'm already craving another. Our waiter was also very attentive and helpful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great late night optionDiningmavenVIPDined on 9/27/2014My favorite time to come to the Food Market is after a concert or show, at 10 pm or llater. It's less crowded and much less noisy; you can hold a conversation while enjoying great food.Special Features:
- Eburgdiner1Dined on 9/27/2014Food excellent and brought out in timely manner even though place was crowded on a Saturday. Only the crab dip was just average. The Baltimore club and Mac with lobster were amazing. Great drinks and nice draft selection.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant, somewhat rich food choices, slightly difficult for vegan palate but overall excellent. Noisy when completely full. Perfect hip spot in Hamden!Special Features:
- Perfect nightVetikat5Dined on 9/27/2014Terrific on all levels. A must try! Can't wait to go back so I can try more of the menu. Perfect for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousKAH1VIPDined on 9/27/2014One of the best meals we have had in Baltimore! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBaltimoreFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic food. My husband and I ordered the Amish pretzel, lobster roll, fried chicken, ice coffee, and virgin mojito. Needless to say, our stomachs were so full, we went into a food coma short after coming home.Special Features:
- Not too badtmlesteDined on 9/26/2014I wasn't overly impressed by the restaurant. I think they are known for their brunch which would have been a hike for me since I don't live near Hampden. I was impressed by the mussels. I never had mussels with a creamy broth, pancetta, leeks or fennel. I was just impressed. The boyfriend raved during our mussel course how these were the best mussels he ever had. It was late so I had the grilled lamb porterhouses they were ok but I was disappointed I wasn't asked how I would like them cooked. So I believe they came to me medium rare, my boyfriend got the shrimp dinner which is essentially shrimp and grits. The malbec was yummy. Since I informed them that it was our anniversary we had a card from the restaurant. Oh we did see the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Too Loud! Food too rich.uniqueDinerDined on 9/26/2014The steak was leathery and lacked flavor. The brussel sprouts were covered in cheese and sauce that maybe the average american enjoys but i prefer quality to cheesy sauce. There were people at the bar basically screaming across the restaurant with zero consideration for others and customers were clearly upset. We left. Maybe we caught them on a bad day. We'll never find out.
- Excellent Food, Too NoisyDiningGuyDined on 9/26/2014This was the first time we have dined at The Food Market. The food was outstanding from start to finish, but the presence of a bar in close proximity to the dining area made the noise level very unpleasant. The waitress had to bend over close to us to communicate. My companion said she was reading my lips at times. I don't understand why people at bars need to shout at each other. In spite of the excellence of the food, I would not be inclined to return. There are too many other dining options.
- Good food and a lot of funTheGoodEaterDined on 9/25/2014Went to the Food Market for our anniversary on a recommendation. Heard the food was top-notch, but we were surprised at the atmosphere; definitely not quiet and romantic. Tables for 2 line the walls a foot apart with larger tables in the middle of the floor. You get to know your neighbor and what they like to eat. On a Wednesday night it was full and noisy, but an upbeat good mood. The word on the street is correct; the food is outstanding from appetizer to dessert and the atmosphere grew on us. We ended up having a great converstion with the table next to us, and through them a conversation with the table down from them. The free valet parking is awesome. Outstanding food, reasonable City prices, and a lot of fun. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014So loud, great food. Not appropriate for an intimate occasion.