The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 410-366-0606x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please cotact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
470 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (366)neighborhood gem (294)hot spot (234)special occasion (170)good for groups (128)great for brunch (125)vibrant bar scene (119)great for lunch (52)romantic (51)late-night find (43)notable wine list (31)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food-hosts need improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Food Market several times over the last few years. We come back for the creative and inventive food. The servers are always responsive and professional. The two concerning areas remain the noise level and the lack of professionalism at reception. When the waiter has to shout in order to recite the menu specials, there is a sound problem. The noise level on a recent Friday night was more than what I call energetic. There are no obvious design elements put into place to dampen the sound. I wish they would consider adding sound dampening panels on the ceiling or upholstered seating to help. Front reception does not convey a welcoming attitude. Even with reservations, you are asked to routinely wait 20-25 mins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good visitkateewaldVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was great. We had an issue with one of our dishes coming to the table a bit cold, but our server immediately fixed it, and a manager checked back in on us afterward - perfectly handled. Really excellent service in so many ways. I was a little disappointed with the wine offerings (all the reds I tasted had quite a bit of residual sugar, which, although tasty, didn't pair with my main course at all and were fairly similar to one another in their flavor profiles). It was only my third time dining at Food Market, but the good food and good service definitely remind me to return more frequently! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a Kindfood4allDined on 9/14/2014Truly a must go to of Baltimore. We did their restaurant week menu. Absolutely divine , everything was fresh and flavorful. Truly a wonderful experience and the staff was so kind and friendly. Ugh just an overall great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome pace with personal touchesBmorehungryDined on 9/14/2014We have been before and it's a favorite. Went for our Anniversary and the had a personalized congratulatory card for us when we arrived at our table. Food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!vfishyDined on 9/13/2014I almost don't want to give this the great review it deserves...don't want it to get so crazy I can no longer get a table. The food was great, service was great, and prices were also great. Try the amish pretzel and beer cheese fondue. The restaurant week portions were huge! Everything our group got was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST VISITALLGOOD55VIPDined on 9/13/2014Great menu with a fun vibe. Great staff with excellent recommendations. Cocktails are incredible.Special Features:
- The bestHappy2dineVIPDined on 9/11/2014Just love this place. Great bartenders and awsome waiters. Food delightful. Even the chef always makes an appearance. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Not our first and not our last!sushiloveVIPDined on 9/11/2014Never fails to impress. Thank you for making a special 10th birthday for my son!Special Features:
- Another great timeBaltimoreChrisDined on 9/10/2014Every time I visit The Food Market, it is a home run. Their specials never let me down. The chef can be trusted to bring your tastebuds to places they've never been. Pick something that you have never had. Trust them. You will be rewarded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A+MatthewDined on 9/10/2014When you hear "restaurant week" you often think "limited menu" or "not their best dishes." Not so at The Food Market. I'm a regular there -- I'm in at least once a week -- and I've never had a bad plate. Not once. The food is always imaginative, the menu's updated often and the service is always top notch.Special Features:
- Great Place with Deteriorating FoodcafoodDined on 9/9/2014I have been a big fan of this spot since it opened, but the menu is not keeping up (it has not changed much in a year). More concerning is that in the last few visits, EVERY dish we order from the crab soup to our favorite scallops/rissoto to dessert is sprinkled with excessive amounts of Kosher Salt. What's with all the salt? Everything is WAY too salty. Lighten up on the salt (put the salt on the table) or you risk a deteriorating set of usual customers.Special Features:
- Always awesomehdangel15VIPDined on 9/8/2014Eat here monthly and love the little lamb porterhouses!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014We love everything about this restaurant except the fact that it is exceptionally noisy. So much so that it is hard to have a conversation and spoils the whole experience. I keep trying to find the right day and time here. The best is midweek after eight pm.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placelaineybVIPDined on 9/7/2014I"m not a fan of brunch menus, so I was really happy about the variety that is offered for brunch. The lobster roll was delicious, cocktails were great and the service was amazing. I had a 6-year old with me and she thought it was very yummy and asked us when we would come back!Special Features:
- OutstandingBruceVIPDined on 9/6/2014Party of 6, We could have made a meal from the little and small plates everything was really good. The plates were will thought out and and put together. The Big plates were also very well done. It took me a few weeks to get in and it was well worth the wait. we will be back Thank youSpecial Features:
- maggiemalyDined on 9/6/2014A bit pricey and most menu you item included nuts. Not good for my friends with a nut allergy. Loved the valet parking. This was helpful on our rainy visit. I will visit again but I will try lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful spot on the Avenue.ArtWenchDined on 9/6/2014Great food, that is both creative yet familiar. Wonderful service each time I have eaten at The Food Market and always a good meal. Would happily recomend it to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooks111Dined on 9/5/2014This was my husband and I first time visiting this restaurant. The food was awesome and didn't take a long time for them to prepare. We will definitely visit again! The BrooksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMikeDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent… The service was excellent… It was quite loud though due to all the people and the acoustics. Not ideal for a first date because of lack of intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very trendy and cool place!DaveKDined on 9/5/2014If you love good food in a trendy atmosphere, give this place a try. Our waiter, Tommy was also very excellent. When you go, you should ask for him as his service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodMtWashington1Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding food and service! Eclectic bar and food menu. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicemarylanderDined on 9/3/2014we would definitely go back, the food was great, we liked every dish we got and liked the twist they had on each appetizer and dinner, priced moderate for trendy restaurants, some may think it is a bit pricey for portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!cwalenDined on 8/31/2014Service was spot on. Our Amish pretzel appetizer was fabulous and our entrees great. husband had the bison special with baby red skin potatoes and haricots verts, and I had two 'small' plates as my entree - the ahi tuna over tzatziki and the black and blue beef tips. Meats were prepared exactly to order.Special Features:
- another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Went for brunch when a friend was in town. We had a wonderful time and great food.Special Features:
- happy with our first visitajtkaczDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I brought two friends here for brunch along with our infant daughter. I was able to quickly make reservations on open table about a half hour before we arrived and everything was great! It was super busy (meaning also a bit noisy) but our wait time for food and service was great. They have high chairs but not slings so they were able to accommodate us by seating us at the banquette with some extra room to set the baby carrier next to us. The food was awesome and well portioned. We will definitely be back and would love to try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baltimore weekendSuzeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great dining experience at The Food Market. The vibe was hoppin'. We arrived early & snagged seats at the bar where we were served promptly by capable bartenders who were managing a busy Sat evening then were escorted to our table at the designated time. The menu was interesting and varied. Our dining choices were delish - grilled lamb porterhouses for a starter, lobster roll and crab cake with lobster mac & cheese for entrees. The tables are relatively close together but we didn't feel cramped nor did we feel as though conversations were being overheard. The restaurant offered courtesy valet parking as parking choices are limited in the neighborhood; valet was prompt & efficient. We'll be back when in Charm City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!Beachlver20Dined on 8/29/2014A friend and I went to Food Market for my birthday lunch. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. He made several suggestions and answered any of our questions. The food came and we enjoyed it completely. I had the Crab Benedict and it was outstanding! I would recommend this restaurant as well as visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Food Market. The service was very good and the food was outstanding. The bench (along the wall) is not very comfortable, and sits higher than the chairs so you feel kind of akward. Thanks!Special Features:
- Go to spot-awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/25/2014Watermelon gazpacho - the best!! Beet salad, tomato salad, salmon entree Baltimore club (2 meals easy) and lobster roll fill the bill!! Service was just right and entertaining! Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudbmorefoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This was my second time at the Food Market. I was really excited to try the menu - there were a lot of options that looked delicious. We were seated at a table for two in the middle of the room and on a night with every table taken, it was quite loud. Bf and I shared the mussels, pork tacos, shrimp and grits, and scallops over corn risotto. Everything was good and cooked well (only complaint was I thought the sauce over the grits made it kinda soupy so you couldnt really appreciate the grits). Dessert was a peach crisp/cobbler with chocolate ice cream which was also tasty. Overall it was a good meal but the loud atmosphere took away from the evening somewhat as it was really hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Great for food but not for talkingdisappointedVIPDined on 8/23/2014After hearing about this new local eatery we were delighted to be able to enjoy the excellent food, but found the noise level so loud that we couldn't speak with our good friends unless we engaged in a bit of mime. We decided that next time we would cook at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edenDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely fantastic, wonderful, and incredible...highly, highly recommend....Special Features:
- One of the bestUsuallygreatVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the best restaurants in Baltimore. Absolutely love the food and service.Special Features:
- Well done vs RareKhalekQueDined on 8/22/2014Our 9:15 reservation did not get us in until 9:45. The lobster appetizer was pretty good and the drinks were ok. However I ordered the "special" which was a steak well done and it came out hot pink all the way thru. Because it was already late I decided to bring the meal home. We decided to share the bread pudding dessert which was pretty good. Why force customers to make a reservation if they will have to wait a half hour??
- consistently good foodnuggetDined on 8/22/2014never had a bad meal here. in fact, never had anything less than a great dish hereSpecial Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Had a great meal! Loved the fish....everyone in our group thought it was one of the best meals they have had recently!Special Features:
- Baltimore FavElisiaDined on 8/22/2014Love this place. Second time back and still love it. I think I would recommend lots of little plates and splitting an entree. Bread pudding is amazing for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014We were moving our daughter to college. After a long, full-day drive, we rewarded ourselves with dinner at the Food Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014the restaurant is too loud; very hard to hear the conversation at our table. You need to install some noise-baffling material. The food is very very good, but the noise level hurts the experience so much that we hesitate to come back.Special Features:
- Always deliciousdhwymanparkDined on 8/21/2014I brought some mid-westerners in for seafood and they were so happy with the variety. Everything was delicious. I'm in love with the mussels.Special Features: