The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 410-366-0606x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please cotact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
500 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (380)neighborhood gem (311)hot spot (233)special occasion (187)great for brunch (153)vibrant bar scene (125)good for groups (124)great for lunch (59)romantic (52)late-night find (48)notable wine list (36)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I took my boyfriend out to dinner this time and we both had a great meal. We love the pork belly appetizer everything in the plate is so good I hope they never take it off the menu. The street tacos and beer salad we had was also very good. For dinner we had the seabass and the duck and we both enjoyed our dishes very much :). Can't forget dessert though we had the chocolate ice cream cake with a banana anglaise which was so good. Our server was very nice and we really enjoyed our meal here, we always do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What?!?!JTD443VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food was delicious. My friend and I split the edamame (there is plenty) each had a ceaser salad (crisp, fresh) and shared the creamy cheesy garlicky shrimp (the sauce is devine). We split the desert (any one of them is delicious) but by then the restaurant was full and we had to yell across the table to hear one another. No point in staying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!Tobin77Dined on 8/16/2014We went to The Food Market for my birthday dinner. While the seating is a little close for my comfort level (the guests next to us almost knocked over our drinks getting up from their table), the food and experience were fantastic! We we first arrived, there was a birthday card waiting for me at our table. Our server was awesome and really attentive. The food was awesome - I had the sea bass and my husband had the burger. We had lots of appetizers - the fried pickles are amazing! The Amish pretzels and hot nuts are pretty fantastic, as well. Overall, it was a great dinner and we'll definitely be back. P.S. The free valet parking is such a great perk - I hope the restaurant keeps it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food - noise level highBaltimoredinerDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at The Food Market twice in the last couple of weeks. Once for Sunday brunch and once for Saturday night dinner. The food is fantastic and it is very difficult to decide because there are too many wonderful and delicious choices. I have nothing but "five stars" to say about the food. The big problem for me, as it was when the restaurant opened two years ago, is the noise level. While bearable for brunch, for dinner, we finally had to leave sooner after we ate because we simply could not hear each other. While OK at first because we had an early reservation, it was impossible by the time we left. It will be a long time before I go there again for dinner.Special Features:
- Fabulous menu!GirlGotGlitterDined on 8/16/2014I often don't feel torn over wanting to order many options at a restaurant but here I honestly wanted to order almost everything! Mimosas were large and tasty. Loved the pretzels and beer cheese! And the complementary donut holes were a tasty touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMrs2brychDined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing and so were the drinks. Its really small and the tables are close together so just be mindful. Its very loud also, kind of reminds me of restaurants in NYC. The waitress was awesome, gave great suggestions. Cannot wait to go back!!! YummmmiiiiiSpecial Features:
- Exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This was a special occasion- anniversary dinner. The restaurant exceeded our expectations. Food was amazing. Not cheap, but definitely worth what we paid.Special Features:
- Always super!mtwashDined on 8/14/2014Had friends in from Boston and knew there was only one place to take them. Food and service were great in a warm and upbeat environment. They loved the "NY" feel of the restaurant and were completely impressed with Baltimore.Special Features:
- Fabulous...againmapbVIPDined on 8/12/2014As usual, we had a great meal -- scallops, bronzino, fried oysters (curry-scented) and tuna meatballs (yes, it sounds weird, but they were wonderful). Peach crumble, which tasted like my grandmother's peach cobbler, with cognac ice cream, and the heath bar bread pudding. All was terrific, and we were greeted with a smile, despite the late hour (10:00 on a Monday night). My only request is that they bring back the half-baked blondie for dessert -- it is one of the best things I have ever tasted...EVER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLadyAWadeDined on 8/10/2014Highly recommend the oysters and crab soup for the first course!! Both were very delicious! Highly recommend the rock fish for the second course. It was pan cooked and also very delicious. Highly recommend the heath bar pudding or peach desserts. Oh' my gosh, they will melt in your mouth!! Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute SpotKColieDined on 8/10/2014I went here for date night. The ambience was outstanding. However I ordered the shrimp dinner and it was bland. Not a lot of seasoning. The peach crumble was amazing as well as the maryland crab soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was a last minute brunch reservation. We were able to be seated right away. The server was less than energetic but everything came on time. You can't go wrong with a breakfast pizza!Special Features:
- Noisy & reservations don't matterCharmCityEatsVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was very good, and the service was great. We did have a few issues that will prevent us from coming back. First we had a reservation, yet we're seated after a couple of people who didn't have a reservation, and they got a prime window spot! They were out of the first two things we ordered from the menu. Lastly, the acoustics were so poor we could hardly hear each other from across a small table. We enjoyed our food, ate quickly and left.
- This place is hopping!AnneVIPDined on 8/9/2014We went to Food Market for an early Saturday evening dinner during restaurant week. While Hampden was pretty quiet, the restaurant was hopping! Not an empty table in the place - and for good reason. The menu was great, the food was fabulous, and the service was exceptional. We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu, which had a nice variety. The crab soup (a regular menu staple) was fabulous - full of vegetables and flavor. The rockfish was delicious, and the shrimp and grits were as good as any we had in Charleston, SC. We were so stuffed after two courses that we couldn't eat dessert (and couldn't take it with us as we were on our way to a show.) The manager gave us a credit for dessert the next time. And there will be a next time!Special Features:
- Good DiningReneNatashaDined on 8/8/2014Great options for restaurant week and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the wait staff was great. The seafood dishes are a hit. I would not suggest trying their Baby Back rib dish. The dish was dry and overly barbequed.Special Features:
- steak fritesJaLaDiDined on 8/8/2014steak frites can be ordered with sirloin, hanger, or filet. I got the sirloin and it was deliciously thick cut piece medium rare. Seared black and juicy. Cooked perfectly. The summer veggies tastefully done. I'm still lingering on the crispy parmesean fries. Cravable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaltimoreLouDined on 8/8/2014The food was wonderful, the service excellent, we got to sit by the window so we had a great view of the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kenlevVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was restaurant week and it was still a fantastic creative meal. We were a party of four and tried different selections and everyone was raving about the food.Special Features:
- Great food, slow down the servicePleasantdinerDined on 8/7/2014The food was as good as always, I has Smith Island cake for the first time and was blown away. The service needs to stop and breathe a little. We did not get bread after we were seated and placed our drinks order and we even asked for bread after we got our drinks but still never received any. The service seemed to be set to high speed, intent on getting us served and out the door. The noise level should also be addressed, conversation was only possible by almost yelling to my partner across the table from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekStephDined on 8/7/2014Everything was great (food, service, choices on restaurant week menu). Would definitely return. The md crab soup was amazing - should be added to the regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - not so good ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Food and service was very good to excellent. I didn't care for the ambience - too much like wide open cafeteria vibe with low end furnishings for my tastes. Being such a highly rated restaurant - I had higher expectations. Very loud scene makes it hard to carry on a conversation across a table. NOT ROMANTIC!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week optionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Wine list wasn't as good as comparable places (e.g., Salt), but the food during restaurant week was excellent. Every course was delicious.Special Features:
- DELISHyumyumfoodfoodDined on 8/6/2014the food was amazing, and so was the wine. the wait staff was also great and super friendly. very cool place, definitely going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014I have been wanting to try the food market for awhile but it is always so busy and hard to get reservations. After eating here I now know why. I went for restaurant week. The menu selection made it hard to chose one thing. I had a delicious bourbon drink with muddled peaches. The crab soup was good with a little kick to it. I had the fried chicken with blue cheese mashed-nothing left on my plate. Topped the meal off with heath bar bread pudding-highly recommend. I also sampled my friend's boar ribs and chocolate ice cream cake-again delicious. The only complaint was the service. We had a waitress and waiter in training and both weren't very attentive. They never came back to ask about more drinks. All and all though great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/5/2014A late dinner on a Tuesday for three (one an early teen) during Baltimore's Restaurant Week proved to be an enjoyable time with great food. The food was much better than similar dishes I've had elsewhere with subtle pleasant enhancements. Service was pleasant and just the right amount of attention. And, the atmosphere had a hip vibe without feeling uncomfortable or pretentious to a non-local who is no longer young enough to try to be concerned with being seen (but not so old as to not enjoy the scene).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemHampdenhon4037Dined on 8/5/2014This was my first time at The Food Market and I was very impressed! My friend and I went during Restaurant Week. Our food was delicious and the service was impeccable! We enjoyed our time there. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014fabulous crab soup, rockfish, bison ribs, and desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FaneagereaterDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I came to The Food Market for the 1st time during summer Restaurant Week. TFM was better than all its glowing reviews. He had the MD crab soup and I the crispy oysters as appetizers, both of which were outstanding. His rockfish entrée was a huge steak, perfectly cooked and mine was the Boar ribs bbq-yum. We fought over which dessert was better, the peach crumble with cognac ice cream or the heath bar bread pudding. The food in this place is like magic and the service was very attentive, friendly but not intrusive. As to ambience, the décor is sort of industrial/arty chic, but with so many hard surfaces throughout the noise level was deafening. We will return and try for a quieter time. We loved our dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in a Cozy SettingFoonaticDined on 8/5/2014Went there during restaurant week. For a Tuesday night, the place was packed with numerous people waiting for a table. The reason is clear - the food was delightful. From the freshness of the crab soup to the pan-fried rockfish served with fresh corn to the velvety chocolate ice cream cake. The only minor complaint was the portions. I'm a fan of small portions but even for me, this was too small. Luckily, the pita bread was amazing and the extra order of dessert hit the spot.Special Features:
- Detailed and DecliciousIlovebmorediningDined on 8/5/2014Went here for restaurant week and loved it. I had the rockfish, which had a perfect crunchy sear to the skins and moist, flaky meat. The roasted potatoes were just the right texture and saltiness as well. I had the caramel Heath bread pudding which was my favorite part. All the flavors melted in my mouth so perfectly and even though I was very full, I could have had more of that! I would actually go back more just for the drinks and deserts, which they have a great variety of. The only real issue is that the waitress who was helping with water looked very miserable, I hope the rest of her not wasn't too terrible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerfoodieDined on 8/4/2014The food was amazing!!! They had a great menu for restaurant week that had lots of options. The food was so fresh and cooked perfectly. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hitting .500HosslikestoeatDined on 8/4/2014After a night at Food Market, I can say that I liked it (a lot), but did not love it. My girlfriend really disliked it. Part of the problem may be in part to resturant week. I opened with the curry dusted oyster which were delicious but REALLY small. I had the shrimp dinner for my main course which was their version of shrimp and grits. Good shrimp and sausage, but where were the grits? My girlfriend had the caprese as an opener. Average. She oredered the rockfish which was overcooked to the max (think filet mignon cooked well-done). Dessert outshined the meal and the staff was AMAZING. I give every place a second chance. Im unsure my girlfriend would give them a second try.Special Features:
- The best of everythingyataheyDined on 8/3/2014The best thing I can say about The Food Market is that it embodies inclusivity. The vibe is friendly, the service is top-notch without being stuffy, and the clientele are all different types of people. There's no snobbery here, and best of all is the way the food manages to be fresh, contemporary and creative without being disaffecting. There is something on the menu for everyone who eats food - and it's brilliantly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodExceDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I loved our dining experience at the Food Market. The food and service was outstanding. They had a great selection during restaurant week. We enjoyed the oysters as a first course. I had the shrimp dinner, which was spiced just to my liking. My wife had the rockfish which was done to perfection. The piece de resistance was the Heath bar bread pudding, which was big enough for two to share.Special Features:
- babs1VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food was excellent, service was great!! A bit noisy in the restaurant. Overall very, very good! Could maybe add a few more choices on the menu.Special Features:
- Nice BrunchKennyDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I enjoyed a very nice brunch here when we were visiting from new York. The food market has a very lively atmosphere with a inventive menu with great food and service.Special Features:
- Great menuFamilyDined on 8/3/2014Fabulous menu, great food and flexible wait staff. Delicious little donuts to munch on while deciding on what to order as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014PickyEaterDined on 8/2/2014Went to Food Market for the first time during Restaurant Week - which can be tricky for some restaurants - however, the experience was excellent. Reservation time was met, menu choices for Restaurant Week were well thought out. My companion is quite the foodie and an excellent chef in his own right, and he was extremely pleased with his choices - with Boar Ribs as his entree. My rockfish was delicious and the Heath Bar Bread Pudding lived up to the hype. Service was very prompt and attentive. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekBmoreWineLoverDined on 8/2/2014We went to the food market for restaurant week. We got there early for our reservation and despite it being pretty crowded, we were seated quickly. Right when we were seated, the kitchen brought out an appetizer for our table that had been made by mistake - we thought it was great that they gave it away and it was the buffalo pickles, so yummy! Everyone in our party of four loved every bite of their meals. Service, food, and drinks were all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BrunchingDined on 8/2/2014The Food Market is simply delicious! The menu is fit for a foodie and has options for anyone! I love this place and will continue to come back again and again; it never disappoints.Special Features: