The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: (410) 366-0606
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
447 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (361)neighborhood gem (295)hot spot (233)special occasion (136)good for groups (132)great for brunch (110)vibrant bar scene (107)great for lunch (48)romantic (45)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (23)notable wine list (22)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Monday night date night was fantastic. Food, service, and atmosphere were all incredible and we will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningajtapsDined on 11/23/2014I have been here several time before. The food is fabulous, the service friendly and attentive but not overly so. A friend and I came here to celebrate my birthday and we each chose an appetizer and entrée that was beautifully prepared, well spiced and delicious. I had the bronzino and she had a salmon dish. We split a white beet salad that was out of this world. I can't recommend this place enough. Make your next reservation HERE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was there for brunch. The menu was creative.BevHDined on 11/22/2014We got the french toast sticks to share, great.I got the breakfast sandwich. I could only eat half, it was so big. It was delicious.Service was quick and waitress came back a number of times to see if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but long waithippyDined on 11/21/2014We went for a birthday date and ended up waiting 20 minutes past our reservation time for a table. While the waitstaff was really quick with the turnover, the hosts left ready tables empty for 10 minutes before filling them. Also, it was really loud... maybe it was the acoustics? Not the place for an intimate date. The food was great and the bar staff was wonderful, but we probably won't return.Special Features:
- A real late-night find!blitz56VIPDined on 11/19/2014This was not my first visit to The Food Market, but it was notable in that it was 10 pm on a Wednesday night and we just needed a quick bite and a glass of wine before heading home from a long work day. We snagged a 10:15 pm reservation and were welcomed warmly, offered a full menu, and no one seemed bothered that we just wanted a glass of wine and bowl of soup.... and the soup -- one of the best cream of crab soups in Baltimore (and that's saying something!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good Food10thStateDined on 11/16/2014I have been trying to eat at Food Market for some time, but they were always booked. This past Sunday we were able have lunch there. I made reservations on Open Table, when we got there on time, but we still had to wait for a table. Our server was cheerful and pleasant. She recommended some drinks and food and we took her advice. The Ginger Snap was a great non-alcoholic drink. I had the pulled pork tacos and my friend had the salmon eggs benedict. We enjoyed the food very much. I could have used a side salad with the tacos. I'm glad that I went and I will return to try something else when I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!BobMcKayVIPDined on 11/15/2014Creative but accessible food, personalized service. Loud, though. Creative beverage program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Very enjoyable dinner. Definitely not a place to take your children but a great place to go if you can leave your children at home. Food was very tasty. The chairs aren't the most comfortable, but that's my only complaint regarding the seating. RE: the food: I had the steak which was tasty and cooked exactly how I asked. My dining partner had the short rib and she loved it. The desserts were delicious. I had Grandma Steve's blondie. It was yummy! We also had 2 appetizers. I had the cream of crab soup. I didn't love it. It wasn't hot, but I believe that's because we had dinner early and it hadn't been warmed up for long before then. I also didn't love the lumps of crab which for someone from Baltimore, it was apparent the lump crab wasn't blue crab. However, the flavor of the soup was spot on and if it had been hotter, I would have loved it. We also had the beat salad which was delicious. I loved the ambiance. It was comfortable and easy to talk. The service was friendly and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but overratedashyvoDined on 11/15/2014The breakfast here is okay. I had the turkey sausage tacos - very small portions. My sister had the pulled pork benedict which was a lot better. I have eaten here a few times and do not get they hype surrounding this restaurant.
- Excellent for Hampden and beyondHenryDined on 11/14/2014Service was terrific. Food was excellent and creative. Would go back frequently.Special Features:
- Brown Sugar Pork Belly....oh my!WhycookDined on 11/13/2014From the title you can assume I had the Brown Sugar Pork Belly. Next time I may just order two as my entree (it's a "little" plate)....it was that good! My daughter and I came on a rainy Thurdsay night. Their valet parking is a plus. The place was packed, as usual. We had a reservation but still had to wait 15 minutes. It's a relatively small place so I'm sure it's hard to predict table turnover. The front of the house staff was apologetic and kept us posted on our table's progress. I would be hesitant to plan a trip here without a reservation unless you don't mind hanging around the crowded bar area for a while! The food was wonderful. Besides the Pork Belly we shared the Amish Pretzel which comes with a little cheese fondue to dip it in. I had the short ribs, the portion of which was enough for 2-3 meals! Our server was very helpful and attentive. My only negative comment would be that it's not the most relaxing environment with the closely placed tables and the open kitchen concept. Not that those factors would stop me from returning. In fact I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brother's BirthdayOllie1Dined on 11/12/2014Every dish was great. Our only complaint was the noise level; we had to scream across the table to hear each other. A welcome special occasion card was on the table when we were seated which was very nice. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and friendlyMaryPatDined on 11/11/2014The food was different and delicious, the service was perfect and everyone we encountered was warm and welcoming. It was a little loud but who cares when everything else is perfect.Special Features:
- MarvelousKyymmbaaDined on 11/8/2014Food awesome service by put server David top notch. Can check off my must try list!!! However, Not a restaurant for kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsbaltisarahVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have been to the Food Market too many times to count because I live in the neighborhood, and every time I go I have a great experience. It hasn't missed yet. I'm a slave to the Amish soft pretzels and beer cheese fondue. The staff is so friendly, courteous, accommodating. Energy is vibrant. The food is comfort but on trend. Great place to bring friends or out-of-towners for a hip Balti vibe. I lovey love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner, again!pikesvilledinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Four of us enjoyed our dinner and we looked forward to seeing what seasonal offerings were in place. My scallops with risotta and spaghetti squash was delicious. Only critique - the guys behind the bar are a bit slow to serve customers, let along acknowledge our presence ... strange, since we probably would have had 2 drinks (instead of 1). Our table server was friendly and quite knowledgable, but rushed. Nonetheless, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Scott77027Dined on 11/7/2014Great menu and great food. We will return to The Food Market.Special Features:
- Awesome!DM123Dined on 11/6/2014There are no better words!!!!!!the food was terrific ! Served beautifully...cocktails delicious! Our waiter was attentive and polite. It was great to have valet parking as well. From start to finish it was a wonderful experience and should be written up as one of the best in baltimore!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent! One of our BEST!likesgreatfoodVIPDined on 11/6/2014Celebrating sister's 50th, couldn't pick a better spot! Still a hot spot with great crowds on a weekday night. Apps menu fit most of our bill, with great briny little oysters on the half shell, fresh Caesar, some terrific Brusselsprouts, tuna meatballs with some kick, and good beets and some soup to boot! Friends had Bronzino and chicken-loved both also. Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food Market is FairHonestBeeDined on 11/5/2014Dined at The Food Market when it first opened and had very good experience. Very disappointed in my return visit. Prompt seating and friendly waitress were only positives. Bus girl was bad - put her fingers inside the water glasses before filling and had a sour face. Food was fair - ordered same entrees as 1st visit - Scallops and Bronzini. Scallops were very good, sides were ok. Bronzini was bland, mashed potatoes tasted like they were from a mix. Also got lobster mac & cheese as an appetizer - waitress said it was decadent - anything but. And worse of all was the rushed service. Everything came out very fast and dishes were bussed quickly. We ate slowly and were still done in one hour - didn't make sense as no one was waiting.
- Wonderful cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2014Good quality cocktails and bar service. Table service was a bit slow but friendly and accurate. Small plates were delicious, especially the tuna. Ordered a custom vegetarian dinner course of the chefs liking and was quite pleased. Blondie dessert was magnificent with the melted marshmallow as an added touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and VibrantPreTheaterDined on 11/2/2014The environment is rustic and charming. There are a few communal table which could be fun. I had the shrimp and grits, yummy and the wrap was also really tasty. Stay away from the French toast sticks as an app they were a bit greasy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Nice atmosphere and the food was good. Mixed review on service.Special Features:
- Well worth a visit, or two, or ...DinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014This is on one of those places that will require many (happy) returns to sample the enticing menu top to bottom. And as busy as the restaurant was on a Saturday night, the service was remarkably snappy - always there when needed. Free valet parking was a definite plus as well. The only drawback may be the noise level, although I'd say it comes with the territory. The Food Market is simply a fun place to meet, and eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- zouzouDined on 11/1/2014Liked our food. My stomach was very upset soon after, (shrimp plate) and through the next day. I have an ironclad stomach. Don't know what ingredient might have done this, it was kind of an oily dish.Special Features:
- Out of towner date night specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We had the first reservation of the evening (5pm), dinner was served in a timely fashion and the restaurant filled up rather quickly. Not even half way through our dinner and the place was full. The buffalo fried pickles, bison burger, and the lobster finger were all fabulous! VERY pleased with the food and environment!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingFOOD1CRITICDined on 10/31/2014The restaurant is definitely a neighborhood gem, while the ambiance boasts great lighting and somewhat of a cosmopolitan feel, the space is very limited and it makes it extremely difficult to have a private moment. You literally felt as if you were apart of the neighboring parties experience, to include touching shoulders, sharing of conversations, and while this didn't appeal to me it could possibly work for a person who appreciates a sense of community. The cream of crab soup was great, the hot nuts pretty good, and the drinks while creative lacked the right combination of potency and flavor. The Crab/Shrimp Salad BLT was something I could have made at home, the duck parts where over salted/undercooked, the dessert was pure TRASHSpecial Features:
- Must Repeat!EvilIncarnateVIPDined on 10/31/2014Had the opportunity to dine here for the 1st time. The Menu, the pacing was brisk without being offensive. The menu had a multitude of dining options, that more than satisfied our party of 4. Would repeat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014The food was very good although my steak initially was rare and I had ordered it medium. Too noisy of a place for me although they sat us near the back so it was not quite as bad.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchfarmeratheartDined on 10/26/2014My daughter and I ate at the Food Market for Sunday brunch. We made reservations beforehand, and once we arrived, we were seated promptly. The service was good, the coffee tastey, and the food even better. I would recommend this neighborhood spot if you are looking for good food with a good atmosphere in a good neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place to dineluv2dineDined on 10/25/2014We went with a group of 6, everyone loved their meals. We all tried something different from a burger to the seabass. Great service from Wendy and a nice greeting from the chef/owner Chad. Highly recommend and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The weak link was the desserts. Love the menu. Oyster Carbonara was a 10/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great evening.CarolDined on 10/24/2014Loved everything about The Food Market. We went there because we wanted to have fish. We were not disappointed. The bronzini and sea bass were prepared perfectly. I asked for fries instead of whipped potatoes and they were made in house with truffle oil--outstanding. We had some delicious fresh oysters and we absolutely loved the small plate pork belly. Service was excellent and the hostess even remembered we wanted to get some money "back" so we could tip the valet. Valet parking is free and a must for that area. It was very much appreciated! Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth it.swingonaspiralDined on 10/24/2014Everything was good here all around. I don't know how often I'll visit due to the price but I'll probably be around for special occasions. Someone next to us had a gripe about cold food, and they took great care of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lynnVIPDined on 10/23/2014I ordered the chopped salad - it was OK. All three of us ordered the lobster roll - it was terrible, dry and tasteless.
- AnniversaryajtkaczDined on 10/21/2014My husband and I were able to book a reservation on the afternoon of our anniversary for dinner. I was surprised they had availability since both times we have been here the food has been awesome, and the dining room pretty full. This place has delicious food but it and the staff seem much more approachable than some of the other restaurants in the area. It is definitely one of the few we recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Funky and VibrantFoodislifeDined on 10/21/2014What a little yummy surprise! The service was great - our waiter was spectacular. We took all of his recommendations since it was our first time there and they were all delicious. I recommend the beer with beer cheese fondue and the fried oysters for small plates. We pretty much ate a little bit of everything and it was filling and tasty. It was my boyfriend's birthday and they had a birthday card waiting at the table for him, which was a unique touch. We ordered dessert and the bread pudding was moist and scrumptious! I ordered the champagne ginger lemon martini (I forgot the name of it), which was refreshing. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but seating is tight!Eat4BaltimoreDined on 10/21/2014The decor was appropriate for the type of restaurant, but the tables set up community style, takes away from the experience a little. Its hard to hear the person sitting right in front of you if its during the dinner rush. But the service was great and the food was delicious! I would recommend it to people that really enjoy a fine dinning plate of food,without the "stuffiness of a fine dinning restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014Varied menu. unusal items for us Northerners (rich sauces, different cuts and types of meat) Excellent vegetarian dish. these are hard to make to not be mushy! server knowledgeable, chatty, pleasant.Special Features:
- Positive Energy Abounds!BarbDined on 10/19/2014Our party of seven was oh so incredibly lucky to select this restaurant for our Dinner and Musical Theater evening. Importantly, the location is walking distance from the performance space at Church & Company. All the more, this staff and our food exceeded everyone’s expectations (several of us are picky). Starting with Alex and Emma's on-time and most welcoming reception, to Ryan and Amanda’s suiting our tastes at the bar, and our wait staff, Dan C's, focus on each of us individually and generosity with his time - Wow! In tandem - a welcoming arrival, delightful array of beers and drinks, adaptable portion size menu, topped off by a departure, "Enjoy!" And we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.