The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
7000 N. Resort Drive
Tucson, AZ 85750Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/restaurants/flying-v-bar-grill/overview
- Phone: 5206155495x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:00
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 6:30, Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 6:00
Closed: Sundays & Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Cathey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact General Manager, Rock Saul, for any of your catering needs at (520) 615-5495 or email@example.com or let Chef Cathey customize your next event with delicious Southwestern flair.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact manager Rock Saul, and bring all your friends to The Flying V, where they can taste a variety of Southwestern dishes, in a fun and comfortable atmosphere. For groups of 12 or more, we offer several four-course menus priced at from $48 per perosn. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey and the culinary team will also customize a menu to your group tastes and budgets. In season, our picturesque outdoor patio seats 125 guests, and overlooks the 18th hole of one of two signature Tom Fazio golf courses. The restaurant is available for buy-outs and seats up to 80 guests. The Flying V has a maximum seating of 12 per table in order to make sure your dining experience is both fun and intimate. Menu prices are subject to 20% service charge and tax for parties of 6 or more.
- Private Party Contact: H.Rock Saul 5206155495x
A word from The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Our Regional Southwestern Grill with spectacular views and fresh mountain air is nestled at the base of the breathtaking Santa Catalina Mountains and was once the site of the famous Flying V Ranch. Today, the Flying V Bar & Grill and manager H. Rock Saul, offer guests sweeping canyon views, glowing sunsets and of course our famous Tableside Guacamole. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey showcases his twist on traditional American cooking with Spanish & Mexican influences, while focusing on locally sourced ingredients. Favorites from the grill include ahi, a variety of steaks & his famous baby back ribs. Gather at the bar or on the patio fireside with friends to sample one of 75+ tequilas, sip one of our signature cocktails and enjoy the view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (37)special occasion (32)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (24)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Feel good spotTerrytDined on 10/16/2014We have dined here before and always have a very nice experience! The staff is warm and welcoming and the food is always quite good. I would definitely recommend Flying V for a lovely dinner. Our efficient waitress was really sweet and friendly!Special Features:
- service better than the foodhopefulDined on 10/15/2014We ate starters and they were all mediocre. To their credit they comped us another one which was considerate but not much better. Had a nice glass of cabernet however.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceThebobDined on 10/15/2014From entering the establishment until leaving, the staff was very friendly and made us feel like special guests. The sunset was breathtaking, a postcard view. The food was well prepared and did not disappoint. Plate range is really $34-$42. The higher being the rack of lamb which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKKeelDined on 10/11/2014We eat at The Flying V every time we are in town. We love the table-side guacomole and the food is usually fantastic. This time, however, much of our food was completely over-spiced. My son's hamburger was beyond well done, the quesadillas were greasy and the Cesar salad dressing so garlicky that it burnt our mouths. All five of us did not finish our meals which is unusual. Hopefully this was just an off night. We usually LOVE everything about the Flying V.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodEK37Dined on 10/7/2014Flying V has the most amazing guacamole and cornbread for starters. Fabian, our waiter was excellent, friendly, and the whole dining experience pleasurable. We had the beef tenderloin and cioppino. One word, delish! Beautiful views as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We had dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. The ambience outside on the patio was great. the service was good and the waiter knew the menu well. when we asked what spices the food items had on them he knew exactly what it was. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable eveninggdubDined on 10/2/2014Our meal experience at the Flying V was excellent. The surroundings are very comfortable, with an magnificent view of the sunset. Both the service and the meal were outstanding. I had the NY strip and my wife had the scallops, and the quality and presentation was on a par if not better than Sullivan's Steakhouse with better prices.Special Features:
- AttitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014I especially liked the give and take with the staff. I am very fussy about my margaritas as I am from Mexico and make one every night for myself. We talked about the ingredients, I saw that you list the ingredients on your menu. That is important as I could tell that the one I liked was using Cuervo, Gran Marnier and fresh squeezed lime. So it had to be good. I told the waiter I wanted NO extras. Usually at restaurants I order a jigger of Cuervo (they seldom have it), a tall glass of ice, and a tiny glass of lime juice. That way I can see what will be served and I can mix it myself (after sending back the bottled lime juice). I liked ordering my own veggies instead of the caloric ones on the menu. And a small salad.Special Features:
- Thank you for a memorable evening!goodtymesDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed our dining experience at The Flying V on 9/20/14. Our server was attentive and offered insightful suggestions (i.e. white chocolate tres leches cube). The guacamole appetizer made table-side was terrific, our main entrée's (steak for him, ahi tuna for me) simply delicious. I especially enjoyed the prickly pear margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest SuprementeeterDined on 9/4/2014The chef of the Flying V knows how to take the best of Southwest cuisine and re-imagine it to create new and delicious taste sensations. Meals include house made Southwest cornbread and sesame lavosh with two types of butter . Both my husband and I ordered steaks (fillet and New York) that were cooked to perfection. The grill features include a choice of two sides that are both unique and delicious. The highlight of the evening was dessert: lava cake. It is baked to order in an iron skillet and topped with house-made ice cream. The pine nut brittle that garnishes the treat is over the top good. Service is friendly, but professional.Special Features:
- PharmerDined on 9/3/2014We love the V! It's a fairly long drive for us, but always worth the effort. Warmly greeted at the door by Rock, and his great staff, we always feel genuinely appreciated. The staff is talented and professional. They tend to your needs very efficiently.We almost always start with the table side guacamole. It is delicious and prepared to our liking. They have a great choice of margaritas to accompany, my favorite is the tropical. They do not exclude both classic cocktails, or their bartender's special concoctions. These are also available . Entrees are great, I love the salmon, or for a casual evening the burger is perfect. You really can't go wrong at the V.Special Features:
- Used to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014This place used to be my wife's favorite. However, last weekend we took the in laws here and it was quite a worst experience. My napkin was full of cactus splinters, i was talking and all of the certain, my hands was full of splinters and as i realize, i got them from the napkin. Apparently, they might have used these to pick prickly pear fruit earlier and didn't wash them well enough. Waiters realized my problem but no apology from manager at all. We ordered some appetizers and main courses. I though it took a long time for appetizers to come out, turned out, they never came out at all. Apparently, our waiter forgot to put in our order. I got the paella, which was bland, rice was uncook and i left more than half of my plate untouched.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Had reservations and arrived about 15 minutes early. They were able to quickly accommodate us and sat us immediately. An added bonus was that we were able to sit outside. Dinner was delicious, spirits were weak.Special Features:
- Special AnniversaryTravelingFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We loved the food, atmosphere and wait staff. Our waiter heard it was our anniversary and treated us to a free dessert. This is a great place to eat with your "someone special". Want to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracymickVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have eaten here a few times while we stayed in the Tucson area. Great ribs - my only complaint this time around was that we had not finished our appetizer and our meal was already out. Definitely felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is amazingKimmieDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food, and attentive service. We enjoyed dining here while we stayed at Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort. We recommend this restaurant for those who want something special. We notice that they easily accommodate larger parties. Yum !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCjacobsDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time at The Flying V and we were celebrating our anniversary. We heard good things about the table side guacamole and I must say it is all that everyone said it was and more! We both ordered the beef tenderloin for dinner. They were cooked perfectly! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJadi111Dined on 8/6/2014Tableside guacamole is a treat. Perfect portions for dinner. No rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableFabulousDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten here on every trip to Tucson and stayed at Loews..They do a great job, with food and service.Special Features:
- consistently good!JiminAZDined on 7/26/2014We visit Ventana several times each year and always try to eat at the Flying V for dinner. The food is always good and the ambience is perfect for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LoveCHDined on 7/22/2014We had a great dinner - Of course we started with the house table side guac! and Tina rocked it! the best ever!!!! for dinner I had the Ahi and my date had the grilled scallops - both indicated on the menu as house favorites and they were amazing....one of the best dining experiences we have had all year! Even the bread ( jalapeno corn bread and other varieties with homeade butters...) and butter was great! We had 7pm reservations and sat out on the patio - inside seemed lively - but we love to be outside. LOVED every second of it. Service and Food were top notch! It made for a FUN evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FromDCDined on 7/19/2014Service was good and the setting adjacent a pond with water flow outdoors was lovely. Food was overpriced for what it was. Outdoor lighting was unattractive. This could be so much nicer with a redesign.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingAfjagDined on 7/16/2014From the moment we walked through the doors to the moment we got up to leave, this was a great experience. Outstanding food and presentation without any pretentiousness. Great service. Beautiful views. The perfect way to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turner8Dined on 7/5/2014The food, service,& ambience was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary celebrationCeejDined on 6/27/2014For our anniversary, we made reservations and told them of our occasion. Chef Jerry Morgan came out of the kitchen to our table and took fabulous care of us. That kind of treatment really made us feel special. The food was amazing. There was nothing that we had that wasn't delicious - from appetizers to drinks and desserts. My only regret is that I couldn't stuff another bite of dessert into my mouth! We loved the Tres Leches cube so much that we ordered it a second time the next day. The view out over the lake was serene and the noise level was good - not too loud but not a library, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014They accommodated us by making an appetizer from the scallop entree - a great beginning followed by a fresh and flavorful arugula salad. The menu descriptions do not do justice to all the flavors. The 1/2 off 1st bottle of wine Wednesday promotion was an added feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 487 reviews are from the The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews archive.
- Just one thingDhskeeDined on 6/13/2014Through Open Table, the earliest reservation we could get any night was 8pm. When we arrived the restaurant was not even half full. To us this says the hotel has a policy of limiting outside reservations so there is always a table for its guests. We have stayed there as guests. We now own a home here and 8pm is very late to start a dinner out, with all the driving. So we request that Loews reduce the size of its guest allotments and open up a few early reservation times! We would come back much more often than we plan to now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceSamsgemsDined on 6/11/2014The table-side guacamole was great!, and all four of us loved our meals--not a scrap was left on any plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and quietSunsetDined on 6/10/2014We came up to the Flying V for our anniversary dinner at sundown we had a quiet and relaxing dinner, great service and the table side guacamole was awesome (New Your doesn't have a clue) Margaritas, Guac and an Arizona Sunset. what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- Great spot in Tucson!weedsDined on 6/5/2014From the glasses of water to the bill, everything was great. However, I don't remember them re-filling the water. The food was good....no complaints. The waitress was exceptional, coming back to check on us often. We like to come at least once a year; and always go to the Café for brunch!Special Features:
- Nice dinneronebizzylizzyDined on 6/5/2014As always, the table side guacamole was the best ever! My shrimp tacos were a little spicy for my taste, but I enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Vegan FriendlyVeganInTucsonDined on 6/4/2014The chef created a vegan entree that was outstanding.Special Features:
- Flying V EncounterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014My wife and I were pleasantly surprised when we celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary this weekend. My wife ordered a delicious well prepared meal of scallops. I ordered paella and I must say it was unsurpassed. The portions were generous but not overfilling.Special Features:
- Absolutely Amazing!cologirlDined on 5/23/2014I cant say enough about the Flying V. The setting is gorgeous. The host staff instantly makes you feel welcome. The wait staff provides exemplary service with grace and a sense of humor and most importantly the chefs are culinary geniuses. The food was superb. Everything from the appetizers (table side guacamole made exactly how you request it) to the entrees (we were a large party so there was a wide variety to our selections and all of them were plated beautifully and tasted great-salmon was the favorite) to the desserts (tres leche cake!!) are done with great attention to achieving a top knotch flavor profile. I highly recommend the margaritas here too. I cannot think of one thing we would have changed about our meal.Special Features:
- Great experience!WillReturn2Dined on 5/21/2014We really enjoyed our visits to the Flying V. I had arranged a two-night stay at the resort--celebrating our Ninth wedding anniversary--and we were extremely pleased with the food, service and ambiance at the Flying V. Special thanks to Aaron and our server, Mike. The table-side preparation of fresh Guacamole was a wonderful adjunct to the Salmon dish recommended by our server, Mike. We look forward to future visits. I would have no reservation about recommending the Flying V to our friends and familySpecial Features:
- Good Food, Noisy InsidedkdinerDined on 5/16/2014The service at Flying V is top-notch. The waiter was attentive and quickly answered all questions about the menu. He was attentive but not intrusive. The food was good but not at the quality one would expect for the price. I had the pork scallopini and while tasty, pork was somewhat tough (perhaps overcooked?) and was not hot. The ambience was noisy, the tables are too crowded, and the decor is old and looks worn. Time for a remodel.Special Features:
- great placesnakebitDined on 5/12/2014We went there for my wife's birthday & asked for a private table with a view. We got exactly what we wanted & the place is very cool & picturesque. One of the finest places to dine in Tucson. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LashVIPDined on 5/12/2014One of the top dining restaurants in Tucson. Always have a great meal and evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!FoodyoneVIPDined on 5/11/2014Love the table side Guacamole....it's the best! The scallops entree is also outstanding! Tonight I tried the paella which was excellent although I would have appreciated a more generous portion. Corn bread is also great! Generously poured cocktails and nice wines by the glass! This place is top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day treatOjackieDined on 5/11/2014The food was very good. The ceviche starter and the gazpacho soup were yummy. The sesame lavash was very tasty, and cornbread fresh out of the oven was the best I've ever had. Two of us had the scallops and they were perfectly grilled and served with a bacon apple risotto and asparagus. Delish. Mom had the beef tenderloin and it was perfectly cooked to order. Definitely better than filet mignon served at other similar caliber restaurants in Tucson. The bonus was that our 6:00 pm reservation was during happy hour so our drinks were $5.00 each. The house margaritas were really good. The house red was William Hill Cabernet - a very nice Napa wine. Only negative was the busboy spilled food onto & in my purse :( otherwise I'd give 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.