The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
7000 N. Resort Drive
Tucson, AZ 85750Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/restaurants/flying-v-bar-grill/overview
- Phone: (520) 615-5495
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:00
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 6:30, Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 6:00
Closed: Sundays & Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Cathey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact General Manager, Rock Saul, for any of your catering needs at (520) 615-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org or let Chef Cathey customize your next event with delicious Southwestern flair.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact manager Rock Saul, and bring all your friends to The Flying V, where they can taste a variety of Southwestern dishes, in a fun and comfortable atmosphere. For groups of 12 or more, we offer several four-course menus priced at from $48 per perosn. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey and the culinary team will also customize a menu to your group tastes and budgets. In season, our picturesque outdoor patio seats 125 guests, and overlooks the 18th hole of one of two signature Tom Fazio golf courses. The restaurant is available for buy-outs and seats up to 80 guests. The Flying V has a maximum seating of 12 per table in order to make sure your dining experience is both fun and intimate. Menu prices are subject to 20% service charge and tax for parties of 6 or more.
- Private Party Contact: H.Rock Saul 5206155495x
A word from The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Our Regional Southwestern Grill with spectacular views and fresh mountain air is nestled at the base of the breathtaking Santa Catalina Mountains and was once the site of the famous Flying V Ranch. Today, the Flying V Bar & Grill and manager H. Rock Saul, offer guests sweeping canyon views, glowing sunsets and of course our famous Tableside Guacamole. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey showcases his twist on traditional American cooking with Spanish & Mexican influences, while focusing on locally sourced ingredients. Favorites from the grill include ahi, a variety of steaks & his famous baby back ribs. Gather at the bar or on the patio fireside with friends to sample one of 75+ tequilas, sip one of our signature cocktails and enjoy the view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (48)special occasion (40)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (16)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Cooked to perfection!CcanaxVIPDined on 11/20/2014Our entrees were terrific! Seared ahi with forbidden rice, and the grilled lamb with jalapeno mint chimichurri. Both were prepared to perfection. Notable are the sea bass ceviche - PERFECTLY 'cooked' in citrus - with prickly pear, mango...very nice innovation using a local ingredient. The arugula salad - again with local cotijo cheese - was so exceptional that my dining mate did not volunteer to share any extra bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EventsonthegoVIPDined on 11/17/2014They serve the best tableside guacamole and ribs we've ever had in TucsonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Saul is the greatest!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Great food, great view, Rock is the best, we love every visit to the VSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent againjohnDined on 11/11/2014We brought two out of town guests to dinner and once again had a great time with an excellent meal with good service in a nice quiet atmosphere. One of a few places in town where the noise level is low enough that all people around a table can be heard throughout the evening. Contrary to popular trend, quiet is good and I hope they keep it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service and the ambiance was great!RickDined on 11/11/2014Outstanding service and the ambiance was great! The entrees were, as always, delicious and the menu reflected some of the best cuisine in the Southwest! The location of the Flying V is convenient for all diners on the Northeast side of Tucson. However, regardless of your starting point, this restaurant experience is worth the trip!Special Features:
- Great service poor foodnewnycVIPDined on 10/30/2014The waiter was great unfortunately, the food was really pretty bad.Special Features:
- Flying V ReviewxAuieDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed the food, though I felt the menu was pretty pricey. $40 for the lamb really seems out of line, considering this is not the Loews main dining area. We love the resort location, which is very near our Tucson condo. We felt the service from the entire staff, starting with the hostess, was not at the higher levels we have experienced at this restaurant in the past. We were seated next to a noisy group of men that took away from our having a quiet meal with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere Bests FoodavideaterVIPDined on 10/30/2014This was a nice experience, but I guess I had high expectations which were not fully realized. The non-food aspects(atmosphere, decor, service) were excellent but the menu was a bit limited. The food was tasty, but pricey.Special Features:
- Best view in TucsonPeggyDined on 10/30/2014Wonderful view, sit by water, amazing sunsets, wildlife, like a vacation for an evening. Food excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unparalleled Setting, Generic MealtucsonfoodloverDined on 10/26/2014We went to the Flying V to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We were given a tiny table for two. When we asked for a bigger table, the host accommodated us. The happy hour drinks were still available, and I tried a Cabernet wine, which was excellent. I opted for an arugula salad that featured mango; it turned out to be a dried form of the fruit. The salmon I ordered was almost completely raw, so I ate around the sides. The mashed potatoes were skins on, lumpy, and devoid of flavor. The service was fine, but the waiter referred to us by only our last name and nothing else. Instead of, "thank you Mr. and Mrs. last name," it was "thank you, last name." Very odd. Try this place for a date night, and skip it for a special occasion.
- LashVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food, drink service and views. Steaks are very good. prepared as ordered. Very good selection of vegetables as sides. Their cornbread served in small iron pans is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three IssuesParadiseknifeDined on 10/25/2014I was on a third date with a woman and the server walked up and welcomed Mr. and Mrs. (last name). I thought that was odd for a server to assume we were married. We ordered two mojitos and he said they would be the last mint drinks that night. We quickly found out because there were only two specs of mint in each of our drinks. Finally, we were seated near the open door to the outside patio. Kids were running around outside trying to tackle one another with a football in hand. One of them stared at us from one foot away from the glass where the boisterous family was gathered around what I think was a fire pit. As the smell of cigar smoke wafted into the restaurant, the host was on top of things to quickly close the doors. Been better there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TreatJohnboyDined on 10/25/2014Saturday was my birthday and we decided to try the Flying V for the first time. AMAZING! is just the beginning. Seated promptly, window table, and our server (Perry, studying to be an attorney) was well versed in all the food items, excellent suggestion for the wines and just the kind of person to spoil you on your birthday. We're going back soon. Sorry we waited so long. Coming from Chicago, this place gets 5 stars from our famiy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSullyDined on 10/25/2014Can't say enough good things about our experience. From the food, to the service, everything was great. Treated like valued customersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Vegan FriendlyVeganNotDined on 10/24/2014I will start out by saying that my non- vegetarian husband loved his meal and I sensed that he wanted to lick his plate. I selected this restaurant based on the vegan menu option posted on line and the scenic sunset view (which was amazing). Our waiter informed me yhat the online menu had not been updated and the vegan entrees are no longer available. I selected one of the chefs options. After two attempts the chef failed. The waiter was gracious and service extraordinaire. Unfortunately after eating a scrumptious salad, my entree was a disappointment as it was never delivered as ordered. I was given a discount off of my meal that was by far less than the charge for my entree. I expected more fron a restaurant of this caliber.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feel good spotTerrytDined on 10/16/2014We have dined here before and always have a very nice experience! The staff is warm and welcoming and the food is always quite good. I would definitely recommend Flying V for a lovely dinner. Our efficient waitress was really sweet and friendly!Special Features:
- service better than the foodhopefulDined on 10/15/2014We ate starters and they were all mediocre. To their credit they comped us another one which was considerate but not much better. Had a nice glass of cabernet however.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceThebobDined on 10/15/2014From entering the establishment until leaving, the staff was very friendly and made us feel like special guests. The sunset was breathtaking, a postcard view. The food was well prepared and did not disappoint. Plate range is really $34-$42. The higher being the rack of lamb which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKKeelDined on 10/11/2014We eat at The Flying V every time we are in town. We love the table-side guacomole and the food is usually fantastic. This time, however, much of our food was completely over-spiced. My son's hamburger was beyond well done, the quesadillas were greasy and the Cesar salad dressing so garlicky that it burnt our mouths. All five of us did not finish our meals which is unusual. Hopefully this was just an off night. We usually LOVE everything about the Flying V.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodEK37Dined on 10/7/2014Flying V has the most amazing guacamole and cornbread for starters. Fabian, our waiter was excellent, friendly, and the whole dining experience pleasurable. We had the beef tenderloin and cioppino. One word, delish! Beautiful views as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014We had dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. The ambience outside on the patio was great. the service was good and the waiter knew the menu well. when we asked what spices the food items had on them he knew exactly what it was. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable eveninggdubDined on 10/2/2014Our meal experience at the Flying V was excellent. The surroundings are very comfortable, with an magnificent view of the sunset. Both the service and the meal were outstanding. I had the NY strip and my wife had the scallops, and the quality and presentation was on a par if not better than Sullivan's Steakhouse with better prices.Special Features:
- AttitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014I especially liked the give and take with the staff. I am very fussy about my margaritas as I am from Mexico and make one every night for myself. We talked about the ingredients, I saw that you list the ingredients on your menu. That is important as I could tell that the one I liked was using Cuervo, Gran Marnier and fresh squeezed lime. So it had to be good. I told the waiter I wanted NO extras. Usually at restaurants I order a jigger of Cuervo (they seldom have it), a tall glass of ice, and a tiny glass of lime juice. That way I can see what will be served and I can mix it myself (after sending back the bottled lime juice). I liked ordering my own veggies instead of the caloric ones on the menu. And a small salad.Special Features:
- Thank you for a memorable evening!goodtymesDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed our dining experience at The Flying V on 9/20/14. Our server was attentive and offered insightful suggestions (i.e. white chocolate tres leches cube). The guacamole appetizer made table-side was terrific, our main entrée's (steak for him, ahi tuna for me) simply delicious. I especially enjoyed the prickly pear margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest SuprementeeterDined on 9/4/2014The chef of the Flying V knows how to take the best of Southwest cuisine and re-imagine it to create new and delicious taste sensations. Meals include house made Southwest cornbread and sesame lavosh with two types of butter . Both my husband and I ordered steaks (fillet and New York) that were cooked to perfection. The grill features include a choice of two sides that are both unique and delicious. The highlight of the evening was dessert: lava cake. It is baked to order in an iron skillet and topped with house-made ice cream. The pine nut brittle that garnishes the treat is over the top good. Service is friendly, but professional.Special Features:
- PharmerDined on 9/3/2014We love the V! It's a fairly long drive for us, but always worth the effort. Warmly greeted at the door by Rock, and his great staff, we always feel genuinely appreciated. The staff is talented and professional. They tend to your needs very efficiently.We almost always start with the table side guacamole. It is delicious and prepared to our liking. They have a great choice of margaritas to accompany, my favorite is the tropical. They do not exclude both classic cocktails, or their bartender's special concoctions. These are also available . Entrees are great, I love the salmon, or for a casual evening the burger is perfect. You really can't go wrong at the V.Special Features:
- Used to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014This place used to be my wife's favorite. However, last weekend we took the in laws here and it was quite a worst experience. My napkin was full of cactus splinters, i was talking and all of the certain, my hands was full of splinters and as i realize, i got them from the napkin. Apparently, they might have used these to pick prickly pear fruit earlier and didn't wash them well enough. Waiters realized my problem but no apology from manager at all. We ordered some appetizers and main courses. I though it took a long time for appetizers to come out, turned out, they never came out at all. Apparently, our waiter forgot to put in our order. I got the paella, which was bland, rice was uncook and i left more than half of my plate untouched.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Had reservations and arrived about 15 minutes early. They were able to quickly accommodate us and sat us immediately. An added bonus was that we were able to sit outside. Dinner was delicious, spirits were weak.Special Features:
- Special AnniversaryTravelingFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We loved the food, atmosphere and wait staff. Our waiter heard it was our anniversary and treated us to a free dessert. This is a great place to eat with your "someone special". Want to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracymickVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have eaten here a few times while we stayed in the Tucson area. Great ribs - my only complaint this time around was that we had not finished our appetizer and our meal was already out. Definitely felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is amazingKimmieDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food, and attentive service. We enjoyed dining here while we stayed at Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort. We recommend this restaurant for those who want something special. We notice that they easily accommodate larger parties. Yum !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCjacobsDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time at The Flying V and we were celebrating our anniversary. We heard good things about the table side guacamole and I must say it is all that everyone said it was and more! We both ordered the beef tenderloin for dinner. They were cooked perfectly! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJadi111Dined on 8/6/2014Tableside guacamole is a treat. Perfect portions for dinner. No rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 495 reviews are from the The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews archive.
- Always enjoyableFabulousDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten here on every trip to Tucson and stayed at Loews..They do a great job, with food and service.Special Features:
- consistently good!JiminAZDined on 7/26/2014We visit Ventana several times each year and always try to eat at the Flying V for dinner. The food is always good and the ambience is perfect for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LoveCHDined on 7/22/2014We had a great dinner - Of course we started with the house table side guac! and Tina rocked it! the best ever!!!! for dinner I had the Ahi and my date had the grilled scallops - both indicated on the menu as house favorites and they were amazing....one of the best dining experiences we have had all year! Even the bread ( jalapeno corn bread and other varieties with homeade butters...) and butter was great! We had 7pm reservations and sat out on the patio - inside seemed lively - but we love to be outside. LOVED every second of it. Service and Food were top notch! It made for a FUN evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FromDCVIPDined on 7/19/2014Service was good and the setting adjacent a pond with water flow outdoors was lovely. Food was overpriced for what it was. Outdoor lighting was unattractive. This could be so much nicer with a redesign.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingAfjagDined on 7/16/2014From the moment we walked through the doors to the moment we got up to leave, this was a great experience. Outstanding food and presentation without any pretentiousness. Great service. Beautiful views. The perfect way to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turner8Dined on 7/5/2014The food, service,& ambience was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary celebrationCeejDined on 6/27/2014For our anniversary, we made reservations and told them of our occasion. Chef Jerry Morgan came out of the kitchen to our table and took fabulous care of us. That kind of treatment really made us feel special. The food was amazing. There was nothing that we had that wasn't delicious - from appetizers to drinks and desserts. My only regret is that I couldn't stuff another bite of dessert into my mouth! We loved the Tres Leches cube so much that we ordered it a second time the next day. The view out over the lake was serene and the noise level was good - not too loud but not a library, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.