The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
7000 N. Resort Drive
Tucson, AZ 85750Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/restaurants/flying-v-bar-grill/overview
- Phone: 5206155495x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:00
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 6:30, Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 6:00
Closed: Sundays & Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Cathey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact General Manager, Rock Saul, for any of your catering needs at (520) 615-5495 or email@example.com or let Chef Cathey customize your next event with delicious Southwestern flair.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact manager Rock Saul, and bring all your friends to The Flying V, where they can taste a variety of Southwestern dishes, in a fun and comfortable atmosphere. For groups of 12 or more, we offer several four-course menus priced at from $48 per perosn. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey and the culinary team will also customize a menu to your group tastes and budgets. In season, our picturesque outdoor patio seats 125 guests, and overlooks the 18th hole of one of two signature Tom Fazio golf courses. The restaurant is available for buy-outs and seats up to 80 guests. The Flying V has a maximum seating of 12 per table in order to make sure your dining experience is both fun and intimate. Menu prices are subject to 20% service charge and tax for parties of 6 or more.
- Private Party Contact: H.Rock Saul 5206155495x
A word from The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Our Regional Southwestern Grill with spectacular views and fresh mountain air is nestled at the base of the breathtaking Santa Catalina Mountains and was once the site of the famous Flying V Ranch. Today, the Flying V Bar & Grill and manager H. Rock Saul, offer guests sweeping canyon views, glowing sunsets and of course our famous Tableside Guacamole. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey showcases his twist on traditional American cooking with Spanish & Mexican influences, while focusing on locally sourced ingredients. Favorites from the grill include ahi, a variety of steaks & his famous baby back ribs. Gather at the bar or on the patio fireside with friends to sample one of 75+ tequilas, sip one of our signature cocktails and enjoy the view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (38)special occasion (32)great for outdoor dining (26)romantic (26)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (10)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Southwest SuprementeeterDined on 9/4/2014The chef of the Flying V knows how to take the best of Southwest cuisine and re-imagine it to create new and delicious taste sensations. Meals include house made Southwest cornbread and sesame lavosh with two types of butter . Both my husband and I ordered steaks (fillet and New York) that were cooked to perfection. The grill features include a choice of two sides that are both unique and delicious. The highlight of the evening was dessert: lava cake. It is baked to order in an iron skillet and topped with house-made ice cream. The pine nut brittle that garnishes the treat is over the top good. Service is friendly, but professional.Special Features:
- PharmerDined on 9/3/2014We love the V! It's a fairly long drive for us, but always worth the effort. Warmly greeted at the door by Rock, and his great staff, we always feel genuinely appreciated. The staff is talented and professional. They tend to your needs very efficiently.We almost always start with the table side guacamole. It is delicious and prepared to our liking. They have a great choice of margaritas to accompany, my favorite is the tropical. They do not exclude both classic cocktails, or their bartender's special concoctions. These are also available . Entrees are great, I love the salmon, or for a casual evening the burger is perfect. You really can't go wrong at the V.Special Features:
- Used to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014This place used to be my wife's favorite. However, last weekend we took the in laws here and it was quite a worst experience. My napkin was full of cactus splinters, i was talking and all of the certain, my hands was full of splinters and as i realize, i got them from the napkin. Apparently, they might have used these to pick prickly pear fruit earlier and didn't wash them well enough. Waiters realized my problem but no apology from manager at all. We ordered some appetizers and main courses. I though it took a long time for appetizers to come out, turned out, they never came out at all. Apparently, our waiter forgot to put in our order. I got the paella, which was bland, rice was uncook and i left more than half of my plate untouched.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Had reservations and arrived about 15 minutes early. They were able to quickly accommodate us and sat us immediately. An added bonus was that we were able to sit outside. Dinner was delicious, spirits were weak.Special Features:
- Special AnniversaryTravelingFoodiesDined on 8/22/2014We loved the food, atmosphere and wait staff. Our waiter heard it was our anniversary and treated us to a free dessert. This is a great place to eat with your "someone special". Want to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TracymickVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have eaten here a few times while we stayed in the Tucson area. Great ribs - my only complaint this time around was that we had not finished our appetizer and our meal was already out. Definitely felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is amazingKimmieDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food, and attentive service. We enjoyed dining here while we stayed at Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort. We recommend this restaurant for those who want something special. We notice that they easily accommodate larger parties. Yum !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCjacobsDined on 8/12/2014This was our first time at The Flying V and we were celebrating our anniversary. We heard good things about the table side guacamole and I must say it is all that everyone said it was and more! We both ordered the beef tenderloin for dinner. They were cooked perfectly! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJadi111Dined on 8/6/2014Tableside guacamole is a treat. Perfect portions for dinner. No rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableFabulousDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten here on every trip to Tucson and stayed at Loews..They do a great job, with food and service.Special Features:
- consistently good!JiminAZDined on 7/26/2014We visit Ventana several times each year and always try to eat at the Flying V for dinner. The food is always good and the ambience is perfect for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LoveCHDined on 7/22/2014We had a great dinner - Of course we started with the house table side guac! and Tina rocked it! the best ever!!!! for dinner I had the Ahi and my date had the grilled scallops - both indicated on the menu as house favorites and they were amazing....one of the best dining experiences we have had all year! Even the bread ( jalapeno corn bread and other varieties with homeade butters...) and butter was great! We had 7pm reservations and sat out on the patio - inside seemed lively - but we love to be outside. LOVED every second of it. Service and Food were top notch! It made for a FUN evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FromDCDined on 7/19/2014Service was good and the setting adjacent a pond with water flow outdoors was lovely. Food was overpriced for what it was. Outdoor lighting was unattractive. This could be so much nicer with a redesign.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingAfjagDined on 7/16/2014From the moment we walked through the doors to the moment we got up to leave, this was a great experience. Outstanding food and presentation without any pretentiousness. Great service. Beautiful views. The perfect way to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turner8Dined on 7/5/2014The food, service,& ambience was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary celebrationCeejDined on 6/27/2014For our anniversary, we made reservations and told them of our occasion. Chef Jerry Morgan came out of the kitchen to our table and took fabulous care of us. That kind of treatment really made us feel special. The food was amazing. There was nothing that we had that wasn't delicious - from appetizers to drinks and desserts. My only regret is that I couldn't stuff another bite of dessert into my mouth! We loved the Tres Leches cube so much that we ordered it a second time the next day. The view out over the lake was serene and the noise level was good - not too loud but not a library, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014They accommodated us by making an appetizer from the scallop entree - a great beginning followed by a fresh and flavorful arugula salad. The menu descriptions do not do justice to all the flavors. The 1/2 off 1st bottle of wine Wednesday promotion was an added feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one thingDhskeeDined on 6/13/2014Through Open Table, the earliest reservation we could get any night was 8pm. When we arrived the restaurant was not even half full. To us this says the hotel has a policy of limiting outside reservations so there is always a table for its guests. We have stayed there as guests. We now own a home here and 8pm is very late to start a dinner out, with all the driving. So we request that Loews reduce the size of its guest allotments and open up a few early reservation times! We would come back much more often than we plan to now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceSamsgemsDined on 6/11/2014The table-side guacamole was great!, and all four of us loved our meals--not a scrap was left on any plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and quietSunsetDined on 6/10/2014We came up to the Flying V for our anniversary dinner at sundown we had a quiet and relaxing dinner, great service and the table side guacamole was awesome (New Your doesn't have a clue) Margaritas, Guac and an Arizona Sunset. what more can you ask for.Special Features:
- Great spot in Tucson!weedsDined on 6/5/2014From the glasses of water to the bill, everything was great. However, I don't remember them re-filling the water. The food was good....no complaints. The waitress was exceptional, coming back to check on us often. We like to come at least once a year; and always go to the Café for brunch!Special Features:
- Nice dinneronebizzylizzyDined on 6/5/2014As always, the table side guacamole was the best ever! My shrimp tacos were a little spicy for my taste, but I enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Vegan FriendlyVeganInTucsonDined on 6/4/2014The chef created a vegan entree that was outstanding.Special Features:
- Flying V EncounterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014My wife and I were pleasantly surprised when we celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary this weekend. My wife ordered a delicious well prepared meal of scallops. I ordered paella and I must say it was unsurpassed. The portions were generous but not overfilling.Special Features:
- The following 480 reviews are from the The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews archive.
- Absolutely Amazing!cologirlDined on 5/23/2014I cant say enough about the Flying V. The setting is gorgeous. The host staff instantly makes you feel welcome. The wait staff provides exemplary service with grace and a sense of humor and most importantly the chefs are culinary geniuses. The food was superb. Everything from the appetizers (table side guacamole made exactly how you request it) to the entrees (we were a large party so there was a wide variety to our selections and all of them were plated beautifully and tasted great-salmon was the favorite) to the desserts (tres leche cake!!) are done with great attention to achieving a top knotch flavor profile. I highly recommend the margaritas here too. I cannot think of one thing we would have changed about our meal.Special Features:
- Great experience!WillReturn2Dined on 5/21/2014We really enjoyed our visits to the Flying V. I had arranged a two-night stay at the resort--celebrating our Ninth wedding anniversary--and we were extremely pleased with the food, service and ambiance at the Flying V. Special thanks to Aaron and our server, Mike. The table-side preparation of fresh Guacamole was a wonderful adjunct to the Salmon dish recommended by our server, Mike. We look forward to future visits. I would have no reservation about recommending the Flying V to our friends and familySpecial Features:
- Good Food, Noisy InsidedkdinerDined on 5/16/2014The service at Flying V is top-notch. The waiter was attentive and quickly answered all questions about the menu. He was attentive but not intrusive. The food was good but not at the quality one would expect for the price. I had the pork scallopini and while tasty, pork was somewhat tough (perhaps overcooked?) and was not hot. The ambience was noisy, the tables are too crowded, and the decor is old and looks worn. Time for a remodel.Special Features:
- great placesnakebitDined on 5/12/2014We went there for my wife's birthday & asked for a private table with a view. We got exactly what we wanted & the place is very cool & picturesque. One of the finest places to dine in Tucson. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LashVIPDined on 5/12/2014One of the top dining restaurants in Tucson. Always have a great meal and evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!FoodyoneVIPDined on 5/11/2014Love the table side Guacamole....it's the best! The scallops entree is also outstanding! Tonight I tried the paella which was excellent although I would have appreciated a more generous portion. Corn bread is also great! Generously poured cocktails and nice wines by the glass! This place is top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day treatOjackieDined on 5/11/2014The food was very good. The ceviche starter and the gazpacho soup were yummy. The sesame lavash was very tasty, and cornbread fresh out of the oven was the best I've ever had. Two of us had the scallops and they were perfectly grilled and served with a bacon apple risotto and asparagus. Delish. Mom had the beef tenderloin and it was perfectly cooked to order. Definitely better than filet mignon served at other similar caliber restaurants in Tucson. The bonus was that our 6:00 pm reservation was during happy hour so our drinks were $5.00 each. The house margaritas were really good. The house red was William Hill Cabernet - a very nice Napa wine. Only negative was the busboy spilled food onto & in my purse :( otherwise I'd give 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGFoodHeavenDined on 5/10/2014This place has the whole package, great food, friendly staff, beautiful view and all around perfect setting for a nice dinner. Everything we had, flavors just popped.Special Features:
- Average, not as great as expectedCc123Dined on 5/10/2014Overall the food was average, especially for the price. We much rather enjoy the abbey or lodge on the desert for amazing dishes.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphererev114VIPDined on 5/9/2014Must try the guac! You cannot go wrong on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!FoodyoneVIPDined on 5/3/2014We sat outside with a magnificent view of the 18th hole of the Canyon golf course at Ventana Canyon on a balmy warm evening. The food and service were excellent. The scallops entree was absolutely delicious and the NY steak was great as well! Always tops here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect View, Perfect MealMattinArizonaDined on 5/2/2014One of the most beautiful places to eat in the entire southwestern United States. You can sit by the water and listen to the cascading waterfall while taking in the beautiful Arizona sunset or you and several of your friends can sit around one of the firepit tables and enjoy the good times. There's a nice bar and inside seating as well but you might as well live a little and enjoy nature. The service is friendly, attentive, and are noticeable only when you need them. The wine list is long and the food quality is top-notch. The oysters are fresh and the steak is to die for. Don't forget dessert. The prices are reasonable for the quality. Highly recommended for that romantic evening or client dinners.Special Features:
- Nice spotGreggDined on 5/1/2014Food was very good and service was spot on. The guacamole made table side was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall experienceHobbesDined on 4/28/2014The food and service were very good. It was nice sitting out on the deck near the waterfall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!KWillDined on 4/21/2014My Wife and I come here every year for our aniversary and every year we are never disapointed. See you next year for aniversary #14Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014They were out of the creamy polenta. The carrot cake was dry and tasteless. The lamb chops were tender but flavorless. They came with a blob of garlic mashed potatoes and a some lonely looking asparagus. You couldn't see the tuna under the shaved brussel sprouts. Overall, the presentation was miserable. The table we were seated at had a glaring sun in the eyes of the guests despite a "sun shade" that didn't work. The wine? My brother had the very same bottle on his counter at home - he had gotten it at Costco. The dining room is not conducive to conversation with huge tables and intimidating settings. This was our third visit. Wouldn't go back again and (other than for the view) wouldn't recommend it, certainly not for it's food.Special Features: