The Flying Fig
2523 Market Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Flying Fig
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theflyingfig.com/
- Phone: 2162414243
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 - 2:30 Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00 - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Karen Small
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our Party room seats 35 comfortably for Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2162414243
- Cross Street: One Block North of West 25th and Lorain
- Public Transit: Steps from the West 25th Street RTA station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is free after 6pm weekdays and free on weekends. There is a paid parking lot on the corner of W.26th and Market Ave. Ample free parking is available one block East behind the West Side Market.
A word from The Flying Fig
Our mission at the Flying Fig is simple, to offer professional, courteous service, in a casual, relaxed setting. We provide wine-oriented cuisine utilizing the finest ingredients available, sourced locally whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Flying Fig - Best Restaurants in Ohio City ›
The Flying Fig reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (69)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (39)great for brunch (32)romantic (30)hot spot (18)good for groups (12)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Flying Fig Great FindGreatClevelandFoodDined on 9/14/2014Tried text Flying Fig this weekend. It had great reviews and I was glad to find they were true. Great atmosphere and great food. Tomatoes are in season and the blt was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great until...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service was great. Food was good, was there with girlfriends for brunch. It was a leisurely brunch and we were never pushed to leave which was nice, though there were open tables so we didn't feel we were taking up the table for too long. Then just prior to leaving I used the restroom, which at first glance seemed fine but then I saw the walls of the stall were covered in what appeared to be "boogers" for lack of a better term (I am a physician), smeared all over, both sides, had been there for some period of time. Yuck. Ruined the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Very pleased with food and service. I gave the Fig a '4' because it was a bit noisy and dark, making it difficult to speak with our friends. Overall, very good food, the duck and chicken main courses were excellent, the flat bread appetizer was as well. The beet salad was disappointing - more like a bacon salad with a few beet sections and an egg. Drinks (wine in particular) were expensive, the mixology was a bit odd -- we tried 4 drinks and did not really enjoy 2 of them.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014The Fig has been one of my long-time favorites in town; however, it seems to have lost some of its edge. The interior isn't as comfortable as other new spots around town. Luckily, the food and service remain top notch. Look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Who gives a flying figcatdanceDined on 9/3/2014Four different vegetarian choices in our group of 8 were not only visually pleasing but were delicious. 3 of us shared so that we could taste more of these clever dishes. Unusual twist us that bread is not served unless you order the "bread plate". As a result no one filled up with bread before the meal started arriving. Desserts were OK but they ran out of house made fig ice cream. I got my scoop but my friend alas only got a spoonful they managed to scrape from the container. As our group has events not too far away, it will stay on our list of convenient places to bring our speaker to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fly to the FigfeedmenowDined on 8/31/2014Really nice place. Upbeat atmosphere, cozy space. Everything was delicious. Took my friend for her birthday and it was a treat. We had appetizers, drinks, salad and mains, and it was under $100. Really charming. Loved it!Special Features:
- FigOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service great. Would go back again any te.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the FigOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014This was the second time for brunch. Both times were very good. Went with different people both times and they loved it. We had reservations for noon, arrived a few minutes early so sat at the bar. At noon we were seated promptly. Our waiter (Josh I believe) was excellent and knowledgeable. Food was wonderful. All in all an enjoyable occasion. Only complaint was the bartender (Tony) had a bit of an attitude when we originally sat at the bar. Took him quite awhile to ask for our orders and then only mine, completed my drink and then asked my two friends for their order. All this took longer than it should have. At no time was he particularly friendly. Because of this I gave 4 stars instead of the 5 it deserved. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchPricklypear01Dined on 8/31/2014We've been here twice before and always enjoy our meals. The service was good, except they forgot a side order. The waitress brought it long after we were both done with our meal. The selections are always unique and fresh, which is our favorite things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchaliciouspjeanDined on 8/31/2014We loved the cinnamon rolls! The service and brunch offerings are always fantastic. It really pays to make a reservation as the place fills up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncaringRichfielddinerDined on 8/29/2014The staff took their time getting to our table. My wife ordered the pork loin. The waiter suggested medium and, after some discussion, my wife agreed that would be best. It arrived well done, dry and tough -- certainly not medium. When asked about our meals, my wife replied "it's okay" because she didn't want to complain. When the waiter removed our plates, he looked quizzically at the remaining meat, said "that doesn't look medium!" and conferred with the chef. When he returned, he said "it continues to cook after it's off the grill" and left it at that. No break in the bill, no real apology, either. After he raised the issue, you'd think he would make it right! Nope, just a coupon for a free dessert on our next visit.
- Great!BradshrgDined on 8/29/2014Is a very nice restaurant for vegetarians. The bread plate is very good. They also make great hamburgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time ExperienceBarbDined on 8/29/2014This was my first visit to the Flying Fig. Although parking in the afternoon was a bit difficult. my experience at the restaurant was very positive. The wait staff was very friendly and the food was delicious. Would love to try the patio next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uncommon but tastyecotravelerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had brunch. Menu items unique to Flying Fig: Corn cakes with andouille sausage and poached eggs, for example. Attentive service. Our second time for brunch and we'll do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portions are small, but deliciousfoodiemomDined on 8/23/2014I went here for my birthday with a few friends this past Saturday. We ordered a few of the small plates to share and they are definitely small!!! The bacon wrapped dates were outstanding, just wish there were more of them (only 3 small dates per order). Our waiter was very nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still WonderfulEat4funDined on 8/20/2014We've been to the Fig several times and have always been delighted with the food and service. Our group had three different entees--all excellent. The fig ice cream and the carrot cake were also terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!MJRinOHVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a party of 4 who had varied interests in food - some people wanted small plates, others wanted an entree, well Flying Fig did not disappoint a single person. They have a good variety of small plates/apps which can be used to share or to use as an entree for those with smaller appetites. They have a good variety of full entrees too, which satisfied those who wanted more. Our server was outstanding - very attentive without hovering, and it was a great energetic atmosphere. We will definitely be back to The Flying Fig and will recommend it to our friends!Special Features:
- Enjoyable all aroundCtownChefDined on 8/13/2014We went in for a birthday celebration, which I noted in open table, but apparently they don't read the guest notes. No one said a thing. Food was very good. Service was ok. A soup was spilled all over the floor next to us, and they forgot to return my credit card - I had to ask if they lost it... Would definitely go back for the food. Tempura green beans, dates and beet salad were killer. One of the chefs brought out an extra piece of short rib because he felt the portion was small - I thought it was just right, but it was a nice touch that they caught it in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food!TanaDined on 8/10/2014We ate outdoors on a Sunday evening which is why I couldn't comment on the bar scene. It's usually quite active. Karen Small does a fantastic job sourcing her ingrediengs.Special Features:
- Great brunchBeauVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good food selection for brunch or lunch, love the patio.Special Features:
- RRKTMDined on 8/8/2014Menu was somewhat limited. Call drink prices were too high. Walleye dish was unimpressive.Special Features:
- Solid but slippingroyemVIPDined on 8/6/2014REALLY appreciate the half price wine bottles on Wednesday! Like the wine list too. Food is solid, and in fact this used to be one of our favorite places. I must say we will be challenged to come back... in these health conscious days it is helpful to have fish for more than one entree out of 7 or 8 entrees considering this is not a steakhouse. Used to have inventive specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order the daily specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014I usually try to order the daily special and am always happy. This time it was salmon with crispy green beans. All of us at the table ordered it and we cleaned our plates! I have dined here often over the years and have NEVER had a bad meal. I can't think of another restaurant in Cleveland that I can say the same about.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Wonderful food and service. Will be back soon to enjoy the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodieDined on 8/2/2014The food is unique and the service is excellent! The portions are perfect not to much yet you have some to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceConcordJenDined on 8/2/2014I was looking forward to dinner here after seeing the menu and it didn't disappoint. I ordered the beet salad which was fantastic and had one of five specials. I would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We met some friends for dinner on a beautiful summer evening. I had the Walleye and it was the best I've ever had...I didn't know it could taste good! My wife had the Polenta and it too was outstanding. My only nit was that the restaurant was lit pretty darkly, but once the food showed up it didn't matter. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top to bottom great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Went to the flying fig with my wife on a Friday night. Nice out door seating patio, but started to rain and we were quickly seated inside. Our server was very attentive and informative. Prompt with service, but not too intrusive. Atmosphere was very nice. Modern decor, soft lit dinning room. Nice large bar. All the menu items had a very diverse use of ingredients, but of so off the wall that the combinations would be off putting. Menu changes seasonly I believe, but I had a pan seared walleye with fingerling potatoes and my wife had the braised short rib. Timing of service was great. Food was delivered prompt from the kitchen. Presentation was beautiful. Top to bottom, had a great experience. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great celebrationAnnie040205Dined on 8/1/2014We were celebrating a birthday. The food was great, service was amazing! All the staff was friendly and helpful and attentive. It was a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great nightEmarr99Dined on 7/26/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable, and for a restaurant who was using local before it was the cool thing to do it was still wonderfully high class. Menu had good variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the hill?ClintDined on 7/24/2014Returned after a year. A sparse dinner crowd. Service was friendly but not very knowledgable. Tempura green beans still good. Beet Salad all show, very tiny portions. Ribs were far too fatty. Pork loin just ok. All in all, the restaurant seemed to be running on reputation. The entire operation seemed tired.
- Fabulous start to finishCpfullVIPDined on 7/19/2014There were six of us on Saturday night. We started out with mussels, the flatbread pizza, and the fried green beans. All three appetizers were incredible And the main dishes were all delicious. Two people had the walleye, two people had a special, and to had the burger Would definitely return again soon. The service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Really enjoyed the dessert, Butterscotch podino(sp?) and my pork loin entree was excellent, especially with the smoked gouda grits and collared greens. My wife's Gnocchi was a notch below my meal but still very good.Special Features:
- Loving the local food connectionheatherVIPDined on 7/18/2014i had a group in from all over the country. They were impressed by how diverse the menu was sourcing in our region. We tried a lot of different dishes and all were good. It was fun to show off our local talents. Service could be better but it did not take away from our evening.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceflexitarianDined on 7/13/2014I liked how my friend who is gluten free, my husband who is vegetarian and I who need a dairy free entree could all find something to eat and it was delicious. The service was excellent and very accommodating. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere. Definitely would eat here again!Special Features:
- Unique menuecotravelerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Uncommon items well-prepared and familiar items uniquely prepared. An exceptional brunch. Good service, too.Special Features:
- Goodjmb250Dined on 7/13/2014We had brunch at the flying fig and I rate it as good. The food was good with interesting options. The waitress was helpful with suggestions and the food was out timely after being served bread with apple butter, which was quite delicious. Both dishes were solid but not wowing (we had the goat cheese polenta and huevos rancheros). The tables were very close together and the turn over was very rapid. I never was offered a refill on my coffee despite the table next to me getting refills. Overall I was satisfied, staff was friendly, but did feel a bit rushed.Special Features:
- Reliably excellent!!!NancyKnowsDined on 7/12/2014The Flying Fig has always continued to grow over the many years that I have been dining there. Excellent vibe, food, chatter and interesting clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.TinaDined on 7/12/2014Fun place. We enjoyed the food. The staff was friendly . Would have preferred to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchaliciouspjeanDined on 7/6/2014My party of three enjoyed Sunday brunch. The food and service were equally wonderful. The waiter was quite funny and kept us laughing. I will return for brunch in the near future and try one of the plethora of cocktails available.Special Features: