The Flying Fig
2523 Market Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Flying Fig
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theflyingfig.com/
- Phone: (216) 241-4243
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 - 2:30 Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00 - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Karen Small
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our Party room seats 35 comfortably for Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2162414243
- Cross Street: One Block North of West 25th and Lorain
- Public Transit: Steps from the West 25th Street RTA station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is free after 6pm weekdays and free on weekends. There is a paid parking lot on the corner of W.26th and Market Ave. Ample free parking is available one block East behind the West Side Market.
A word from The Flying Fig
Our mission at the Flying Fig is simple, to offer professional, courteous service, in a casual, relaxed setting. We provide wine-oriented cuisine utilizing the finest ingredients available, sourced locally whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Flying Fig - Best Restaurants in Ohio City ›
The Flying Fig reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (83)great for brunch (46)romantic (41)special occasion (39)great for outdoor dining (35)hot spot (25)great for lunch (21)good for groups (20)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- not expecting us!mininaDined on 11/16/2014Even though I had the reservations they were not expecting us! They offered us a table next to the door too big (we were only 3) and too cold that obviously nobody wants. We had to wait 15 minutes for the next table which was not that great either... If it wasn't for the food which we liked I wouldn't be returning or recommending it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful from start to finish!RanchDined on 11/15/2014First time eating here and we will definitely be back!! Delicious gluten-free options and allergy friendly. Our meals were packed with rich flavors and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blahAAC2Dined on 11/14/2014I had been wanting to go to the Flying Fig for years but I was not overly impressed with the food. It was just ok. The portions were surprising smaller then I expected. Thought it was just ok for the price.Special Features:
- Saturday Night DinnerDinDin3Dined on 11/8/2014Amy, our server, was superb. Wonderful personality and just the right amount of touching in with our party vs giving us space to chat. Upon entering, the greeting from the hostess was a tad lackluster...as in, barely a hello. I felt that some of the prices were on the high side. Appetizers seemed a little pricey compared to entrees. The martinis we tried were fabulous, but $12 is a tad high. The food was great! Flying Fig is a good choice for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesBDinOHCityDined on 11/8/2014Four of us had brunch at The Fig on Saturday; each person had something different, and everyone loved the food. I had the eggplant sandwich, which is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. It is a bit noisy, so for those of us who were older, hearing was somewhat difficult. The service was great, so our dining experience was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pa-OpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Limited menu, small quantity, good quality ambrosial dishes.Special Features:
- flying figLBJBDined on 11/4/2014We have been there in the past, seems that the quality has declined. The food was fair-good but not great like it has been in the past.Special Features:
- Great Food + Service Stark SettingHudsonfoodieDined on 11/1/2014Enjoyed a wonderful meal last weekend with my wife. We sat in the back room. It was intimate, but very stark and sterile. The service was excellent. We had the pork flatbread with fried egg (highlight of the meal for me), walleye and snapper. All were tasty. One caution is that they listed a dish with faro as gluten free (faro is a grain that DOES contain gluten). We pointed it out the the server and the kitchen staff was receptive to the input and told us they would change the easy-to-make mistake. All in all, the Fig delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally Grown Great FoodDavepetr10Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I enjoyed our recent dinner that included the bruschetta as an appetizer, salads, and we split the locally raised ribeye. Everything was delicious. Our server helped us make our selections without being too pushy. We also had a Malbec that was on tap - a newer trend for wine. Overall, it was a wonderful dinner and we'll go back again because there's a lot of other menu selections we'd like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and yummy.Silverfox45Dined on 10/29/2014I was there for a friends birthday. The food was delicious, service excellent and attention to details was perfect! Thank you Flying Fig!!!Special Features:
- EnjoyableClevelandgalDined on 10/26/2014We had an out of town guest and needed a good spot for Sunday night. The restaurant was quiet but the food was creative and wonderful, particularly the vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Brunch-LunchsnipsVIPDined on 10/25/2014We visited Flying Fig for a Saturday lunch after shopping at the West Side Market. The food was very good, but the service was only adequate and the hostess were neither friendly or welcoming. In a restaurant rich area like Ohio City you would think that having good service and a welcoming hostess would be a no brainer. Not sure if we will go back anytime soon.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014Been there before with good results but this time food was only average and the food service was so slow it became a joke. Waitress was good though. Won't go back. Maybe do happy hour at the bar only - that was good in the past.
- BrunchpretzelmitchellVIPDined on 10/19/2014Every item we ordered was just as described and tastefully delicious. Service was cherry and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place overallI8ClevelandDined on 10/18/2014The food was very good. I had a mixed green salad to start. It was a little larger than I expected, but that isn't really a complaint. I had the house made gnocchi for a main course, but it wasn't the one on the website. I loved the consistency and texture of the gnocchi. It was so good I felt guilty for eating it so quickly. They have a nice cocktail list as well as a good wine selection. The place can be a bit noisy, but it was a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegetarian meal!KristieVIPDined on 10/17/2014This is the most creative and delicious vegetarian meal we have had in Cleveland for some time! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less Than Stellar ServiceMikeDined on 10/11/2014Requested a special table for a special night (anniversary). Received a tiny table in the middle of a crowded dining room. Service was extremely slow and lacked any personality. We sat and waiting nearly 30 minutes following our appetizers for our entrees. Not once was the anniversary mentioned. The food was actually quite good, but the service led to a disappointing 1st visit.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great food and drinks. Great atmosphere. Wish we would have sampled some of the appetizers. They looked amazing. The mahi mahi was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!JandPFoodiesDined on 10/11/2014Far exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be returning very soon. The chorizo corn cakes are truly amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love your brunch!foodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Best brunch place in Cleveland! Can't wait to return! Loved the apple pancakes! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was awfulFoodieExtraordinaireVIPDined on 10/5/2014Server was all over the place. She put my 2 friends orders in, but completely forgot mine! How do you forget someone's order when there's only 3 people and we had very simple orders? I had to wait almost 15 minutes for my food while they ate (which I told them to go ahead and eat) and then she did nothing to remedy the situation. I'm pregnant and had to watch everyone else eat while I was sitting there hungry. I was so disappointed with the service. I've frequented this place over the years, but this experience ruined it for me. I will not be returning.
- New Brunch Menu!AlliVIPDined on 10/5/2014We go to the Fig for brunch and dinner frequently and were nervous when we first learned there was a new brunch menu--did they take our favorites off the menu?! I'm glad to report that they did not! The Warm Egg Salad Sandwich is still there (under Soft Scrambled Eggs) and so is the Biscuits and Gravy, in addition to the huevos rancheros and croque madame. They've now made it possible to get a side of the tallegio polenta (mmmm!) and added some yummy pastries in addition to a beef brisket hash, kitchen sink skillet, meat balls, chorizo chicken chilaquiles (which I had and they are awesome), and a pork belly & bean tostada--what?! We have to go back to try more of the new stuff. Love this place!Special Features:
- Driven away on 10/3GringoCriolloVIPDined on 10/3/2014My family and I have dined at the Flying Fig on twenty-one occasions over the past nine months. On our last occasion there, however, we were left with a strong feeling that we never wanted to return. After receiving the fig ice cream we regularly order for dessert, we made a polite comment to the waitress that this was the first time we were served only one scoop. We received a stern lecture about how the chef was no longer going to be giving away the ice cream, and from now on we would only receive the "correct" portion. When we voiced our shock and displeasure at her tone, the response from the restaurant was to send another waiter over to unceremoniously place two large bowls on our table, without apology or comment of any kind.Special Features:
- Something for everyonecatdanceDined on 10/1/20147 people - 4 vegetarian found exceptional options. The omnivores amongst us had the opportunity to choose pork, chicken and trout. We all had clean plates at the end of the meal. The salads are generous and unusual. Desserts OK - carrot cake thought to be too dry. Otherwise it was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Excellent food and service. A little loud for my liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable!!ROSE87Dined on 9/28/2014We were in Cleveland for a weekend and wanted a good brunch spot to end our trip. The Flying Fig came highly recommended so we decided to give it a shot. It got very busy about 15 minutes after we got there and looked to be for a reason. The food was amazing!! Definitely going back here if we visit Cleveland again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseGDeniseGDined on 9/27/2014Dinner was terrific. My fish was cooked and moist my husband had the New Guinea hen with squash and loved it. The other couple had a burger and fries (a few too many fries served) and small plates. The grits with smoked Gouda was awesome. Service was good.Special Features:
- A Wonderful SurpriseSomethingDifferentDined on 9/27/2014With so little parking available, this is not the place I think of first. When I go to a restaurant to relax why would I choose to drive around in circles looking for a parking space? But, we had the morning free, one of my staff had raved about this place, so we arrived early hoping to get parking on a Saturday morning. What a wonderful choice. Simple, direct, honest and superb. My wife fell in love with their granola (I still don't get it) and I enjoyed the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had, and felt healthy! (Having lived in Nashville for 10 years where biscuits and gravy are everywhere and have risen almost to an art form, this is saying something.) Parking? We'll find a spot somewhere and walk. And, we will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!HeidiDined on 9/26/2014For starters, we had the calamrai, which were fantastic. Eveyrthing sounded so good, it was diffiuclt to make a sectloin for our main entree. We went with the polenta and were not disappointed! Our server Lynn was excellent. She was helpful and very pleasnt. We will definitely return to this wonderful litle spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrooklynerDined on 9/21/2014Flying Fig was OK, but not great. I had a salad with trout. The trout was very good but was not quite hot enough. No one wants to eat semi-warm trout. The salad was good, and I love how it was in bite sized pieces. I didn't like that they didn't find out whether I could have tomatoes and the waitress made no attempt to help. I expected the bread to be spectacular based on reviews, but it was tiny pieces and had little flavor. The apple butter and butter were both nice additions to the bread plate, but they were larger than the bread servings themselves.
- Best dinner in Cleveland!RBelzVIPDined on 9/20/2014Love this place! My husband and I shared a bunch of dishes and every single bite was amazing. The beet salad was the best I've ever had and the burger was incredible too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I dig the FigBigMacAttackDined on 9/19/2014Delicious! Time and time again the Flying Fig fails to disappoint. Upon visiting the Fig on a beautiful Friday evening, we cozied up to the bar and ordered a few drinks. The bartender was friendly, knowledgeable, and made a mean manhattan. We started with the calamari which was perfectly prepared followed by the dry aged rib eye and the guinea hen. Hands down one of the best meals I have had in a while!Special Features:
- Flying Fig Great FindGreatClevelandFoodDined on 9/14/2014Tried text Flying Fig this weekend. It had great reviews and I was glad to find they were true. Great atmosphere and great food. Tomatoes are in season and the blt was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great until...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service was great. Food was good, was there with girlfriends for brunch. It was a leisurely brunch and we were never pushed to leave which was nice, though there were open tables so we didn't feel we were taking up the table for too long. Then just prior to leaving I used the restroom, which at first glance seemed fine but then I saw the walls of the stall were covered in what appeared to be "boogers" for lack of a better term (I am a physician), smeared all over, both sides, had been there for some period of time. Yuck. Ruined the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Very pleased with food and service. I gave the Fig a '4' because it was a bit noisy and dark, making it difficult to speak with our friends. Overall, very good food, the duck and chicken main courses were excellent, the flat bread appetizer was as well. The beet salad was disappointing - more like a bacon salad with a few beet sections and an egg. Drinks (wine in particular) were expensive, the mixology was a bit odd -- we tried 4 drinks and did not really enjoy 2 of them.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014The Fig has been one of my long-time favorites in town; however, it seems to have lost some of its edge. The interior isn't as comfortable as other new spots around town. Luckily, the food and service remain top notch. Look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Who gives a flying figcatdanceDined on 9/3/2014Four different vegetarian choices in our group of 8 were not only visually pleasing but were delicious. 3 of us shared so that we could taste more of these clever dishes. Unusual twist us that bread is not served unless you order the "bread plate". As a result no one filled up with bread before the meal started arriving. Desserts were OK but they ran out of house made fig ice cream. I got my scoop but my friend alas only got a spoonful they managed to scrape from the container. As our group has events not too far away, it will stay on our list of convenient places to bring our speaker to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fly to the FigfeedmenowDined on 8/31/2014Really nice place. Upbeat atmosphere, cozy space. Everything was delicious. Took my friend for her birthday and it was a treat. We had appetizers, drinks, salad and mains, and it was under $100. Really charming. Loved it!Special Features:
- FigOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service great. Would go back again any te.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the FigOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014This was the second time for brunch. Both times were very good. Went with different people both times and they loved it. We had reservations for noon, arrived a few minutes early so sat at the bar. At noon we were seated promptly. Our waiter (Josh I believe) was excellent and knowledgeable. Food was wonderful. All in all an enjoyable occasion. Only complaint was the bartender (Tony) had a bit of an attitude when we originally sat at the bar. Took him quite awhile to ask for our orders and then only mine, completed my drink and then asked my two friends for their order. All this took longer than it should have. At no time was he particularly friendly. Because of this I gave 4 stars instead of the 5 it deserved. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.