The Flatiron Cafe
1722 Saint Marys Ave
Omaha, NE 68102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Old Market
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Flatiron Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theflatironcafe.com/
- Phone: 4023443040x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Rob Hill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Flatiron Cafe
The Flatiron Cafe's staff has been happily serving the theater crowd, business travelers and those celebrating special occasions since 1995.Continued
Chef Rob Hill oversees the preparation of the evenings special dishes. We're always on the look out for exceptional wines to add to our list. Please come.
Chef Rob Hill oversees the preparation of the evenings special dishes. We're always on the look out for exceptional wines to add to our list. Please come.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Flatiron Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Old Market ›
The Flatiron Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)romantic (59)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (19)scenic view (10)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Special EveningMadgeDined on 10/18/2014This was a celebratory evening for us with friends from out of town and it could not have been a more perfect setting. The service and ambiance made us all feel special and the food was amazing. They have continued to mention to me how delicious their meals were and how much they enjoyed the atmosphere. Our server was very educated about the wine selection as well as the menu items. The tuna appetizer was amazing! We would definitely return and recommend Flatiron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Flatiron never fails to please.SteveDined on 10/17/2014We had a pre-opera dinner at the Flatiron. We have eaten there before and are never disappointed. My steak with crab meat topping was cooked just right, tender, and full of flavor. They have a very good wine selection with a wide price range. They always have a few standard menu items but the menu changes with the season. So, there are always new things to try. This is one of my favorite restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS AS ALWAYSMyReview2UDined on 10/16/2014The Flatiron is our special occasion restaurant. We consistently have great food and outstanding service. The waiter we had most recently has worked there for several years and is absolutely perfect. The atmosphere is exactly what you want for a special occasion. We would like to try other restaurants but can not imagine finding a better place than the Flatiron. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omaha's BestMoriahDined on 10/14/2014We have been dining at the Flatiron for many years and they never cease to a amaze with the consistently great service and terrific food. The owner sources locally when she can, and the chef makes mouth watering dishes not found anywhere else. Love this place!Special Features:
- First visitFrank53Dined on 10/11/2014Had been wanting to try the Flairon for some time...and was finally able to our last visit to Omaha...excellent experience. Our server was a gem, made some spot on recommendations. Food was exceptional.Special Features:
- Average but not special.DisappointedVIPDined on 10/10/2014The quality of the food and the service did not rate the prices they charged. Food was average and the service was lacking - had to ask 2 different people for cutlery that should have been brought when the entrée was served.
- fantastic dining experiencefrannyroseDined on 9/27/2014We have dined at this restaurant many times over the years and it is always an enchanting experience. the menu is always interesting with different subtle twists on old favorites and unusual dishes. The staff has always been efficient and delightful. Their interest in your pleasure at their restaurant is lovely and sincere. A gentleman offering single beautiful long stemmed roses for sale is a regular visitor -but only once on any night--and we usually purchase one as a lovely memento of a lovely evening. We have many special memories of visits to the Flatiron Cafe and try to include it on trips to Omaha. You absolutely will not be disappointed in an evening spent lingering and dining there special event day or ordinary one.Special Features:
- Indulgent Omaha Must SeeNebraskaDJDined on 9/19/2014You might be seated by the owner and never know it. But if you start asking for recommendations from the friendly staff you will not only be served great recommendations but also find out more about this Omaha staple. Great character with the shape of the building and is close to the old market but with parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Great ServicejoekDined on 9/18/2014The food was very good and very fresh. We were a bit concerned about some of the flavors clashing but once they were on our table we found them to be perfectly matched. The chef here knows how to pair and match flavors which shows the food here is worth the price which is not inexpensive but not over the top expensive. The service was cordial, helpful and timely. The only negative we had about the restaurant was the loud and boisterous group of people sitting in the middle of the restaurant. It was hard to hear the waitress and I'm 38 without a hearing problem. Once they left the room was filled with the pleasant and moderate sound of people enjoying eachother's company. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LazarVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have ordered from the restaurant week menu. Food was blend and unattractive. Desert akin three star diner. Wine list short and not interesting. Server lost interest the moment we have ordered wine other that he had recommended. Overall service was both inattentive , unpleasant and annoying.
- Everything was excellent.LuvflatironDined on 9/16/2014Our favorite place in Omaha. Wait staff, bartender, ambiance, food, drinks/wine list are all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional quality and tasteCrawford2231Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I dined here for the first time for our anniversary dinner. We frequent places like the Grey Plume and Boiler Room so we wanted to give Flatiron a shot. The building itself is very unique and the entire restaurant has huge windows exposing the downtown area. Our waitress was very friendly and everything was brought out in a timely manner. Even with the great location and great service, the food outshines everything. Everything was cooked to perfection. The food here is delicate yet fulfilling. I had the 12 spice salmon with basil and edamame risotto. The risotto was one of my top 3 all time. It is considered expensive for most, but the prices are not crazy. In a nutshell, high end ingredients cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- MaryKayDined on 9/13/2014I have lived in West Omaha all my life and have never eaten at the Flat Iron downtown. My grandson was in town from Seattle for his birthday and wanted to go to someplace "special". We decided to venture to the down town area and found a gem! Our waiter was very good (and nice!) and the food was what my husband, an amateur chef, deemed extremely well presented. We will be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TryAnythingDined on 9/12/2014We went here for restaurant week, and were pleasantly surprised. Every dish was perfect, and the restaurant was lovely. Our waiter warmed up a bit throughout the meal, but could have been more personable. He didn't miss a beat, we just felt like he was going through the motions without much enthusiasm. Fair enough, I'm tired at work sometimes too. Everything else was truly spectacular and we would recommend a special event here to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best night ever!JeanDined on 9/12/2014Celebrated a birthday on a Friday night and couldn't have been more pleased. We were greeted at the door and led to a beautiful table where the evening only got better. It was Restaurant Week, and the fixed price menu included a fish, beef, or vegetarian option for the first and second courses. The scallop appetizer was delicious, and the ribeye meal was perfectly executed. The service was outstanding and while the restaurant is expensive, we all felt that it was worth it. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening for a last minute gemVinceDined on 9/5/2014I made reservations at the last minute prior to attending the Eagles concert because of a question on our time. When we arrived we had an awesome waitress we had seen there prior, Natasha. She is awesome!!!! We had two great entrees and a fabulous bottle of wine on her suggestion. On top of it we were presented a dessert which was incredible. A great evening, great dinner, great service! Keep it up! We will see you again!Special Features:
- Top Fine Dining Spot in OmahaBillDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I have been dining at The Flat Iron for years and it continues to be our go to place for fine dining and special occasions.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceLikeToEatOutDined on 8/28/2014Celebrated our anniversary. Great food and service. Relaxed, not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special dateDineNStyleDined on 8/21/2014I took my wife for her Birthday and the service was great, food was excellent, and so was the wine. The prices are a bit high. For two with an appetizer, two meals, and a $40 dollar bottle of wine it was about 160 with tip. For her special date they also gave us a wonderful mousse dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperSpeedGolferDined on 8/16/2014We moved to Omaha a yr ago and found this gem. A family owned and all work there. A must see and eat.Special Features:
- putterDined on 8/16/2014food,service very good. moving a table in while we were eating in a small space not good. especialy when the resturant was not crowded nobody waiting. really made the experiance seem well like a McDonalds. food very worth the money well presented and our waitress well fantastic. place needs to open the floor a bit. at this level i expected more.Special Features:
- An Omaha gemPCombsDined on 8/13/2014The Flatiron cafe is one of our favorites. It offers a great atmosphere and fabulous food. Wonderful for a special night out or to entertain out of town visitors. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The food & service recommendDayLilysandblueSkyDined on 8/13/2014This was the best steak we have ever had. I highly recommend the Flat iron food, service making a special occasion memorable.Special Features:
- Great service and foodDisappointed2014VIPDined on 8/9/2014We came to celebrate a special occasion and the food was very good and service was wonderful!Special Features:
- Great DinnerRobertDined on 8/9/2014We stayed at the Magnolia Hotel and walked down the street to the Flatiron Cafe. We had a wonderful dinner, good food, nice atmosphere, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BenMDined on 8/9/2014Thank you for a very pleasant evening. Your restaurant is always high on our list of "special places".Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The staff really helped to make a great evening for my wife and I. She had a wonderful time. We will continue to go there for the foreseeable future. We had the special tenderloin with lobster and it was fantastic. The atmosphere is very inviting and that has a lot to do with the cheery and professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't disappointedlasertronVIPDined on 8/5/2014I ducked into the flatiron for some drinks and dessert on a Thursday. It was a pretty slow night, which surprised me, and we were seated right next to another couple even though the whole restaurant was open--I would have appreciated a little more privacy. The ambiance is low-energy and the decor is very dated, but as soon as the food and drinks were served I was on cloud nine. I had the orange basil cheesecake and a chocolate mousse dessert, as well as a whiskey sour. They have great steaks here too, which I'll be back for next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Again.RobinDined on 8/2/2014I always love the Flatiron for special meals. This anniversary dinner was exceptional because we had an incredible waitress who ensured we had the perfect meal. The lobster was a special treat for this Maine girl, sweet and prepared perfectly. Every course was just outstanding. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrationaka31AuggieDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the food and service at The Flat Iron Cafe. Excellent lamb chop entree for the first plate. Went early to avoid the 7 pm crowd. They no longer serve lunch, just the evening meal. Check the menu before going and look up many of the unfamiliar words for simple food, as it will make your selection much easier. And ask if you don't understand the menu selection. Price is about the same as a good restaurant, the cost per glass was more than I excepted. If you are looking for a good Nebraska steak select a different place. The meat selection is good, but you will not see the big cuts of steak here. I would go back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Ambiance, Food, & ServiceKMBrowserDined on 7/29/2014Nestled in the heart of downtown Omaha, the Flatiron was a great place for dinner with our business associates. Others were there for special occasions. It seemed that everyone was pleased. The service was friendly, attentive, & professional. The food was creative and tasty with an artistic presentation, as well as ample portions. They have a good wine selection too. Although in a downtown location, the entire dining area is surrounded by windows, which provides a pleasant, entertaining view of the square. Prices were moderate to expensive, but what one should expect in a quality establishment. I'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Kathy birthdayDining12Dined on 7/26/2014Excellent meal. Great service. Great and unusual choices. Food came hot with excellent presentation. Did not feel rushed. Quite noisy when first seated...because we had a very leisure meal...noise did not remain a factor. Excellent first plate sampler.Special Features:
- I forgot how good this place isLocalOmahanDined on 7/25/2014Haven't been to the Flatiron in awhile and I have been missing out. The food and service was excellent. Need to go here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5th Anniversary Dinnercd20236Dined on 7/25/2014We had another lovely dinner at this restaurant. Our first was the night of our engagement and it too was a real special experience. The Flat Iron Cafe has a great atmosphere and the meal was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stoplovefoodDined on 7/18/2014Living in OMaha my whole life I figured i must try flatiron, so i did to celebrate my 3 year anniversary. Teh food was spectacular as was the service. The overall ambience is quiet and a bit secluded being just away from downtown. This is now one of my favorite restaurants in OMaha. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Yes and NoLarryDined on 7/18/2014Food & service were impeccable. My wife's veal chop was sensational. My Sea Bass was delish except the cold asian slaw served beneath the Sea Bass totally detracted from the magnificence of the main ingredient. Would have been stellar if served with a rice or noodle accompaniment, allowing the Sea Bass to shine. The Chef, instead of trying to show off, should know that with such a fabulous piece of fish, less is much better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always high qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014The Flatiron has maintained a level of excellence for more than 15 years and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They never disapointMikeDDined on 7/12/2014The single biggest problem I have with this establishment is the menu is so good it is almost impossible to choose which items to order. The menu is original without being so exotic I have to struggle to find something I can eat. IT'S ALL GOOD! On this last visit I finally decided the only way to solve my dilemma is to visit until I've eaten everything from the menu if that's even possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Of My Favorite RestaurantsFrequentDinerDined on 7/11/2014Always love dining at the Flatiron; it is a "cut above" other restaurants in the city. Menu has variety. Food is outstanding. Service is the best.Special Features:
- Great FoodDatenightmomDined on 7/11/2014We like that they always have new offerings when we return to The Flatiron Café. The service is always top notch and knowledgeable about how the food is prepared (my husband likes to ask questions!). On this visit, we had salmon and a chicken dish - both were excellent. I would have liked to see a sangria or other light summer wine cocktail on the menu, but the wine I had was a good alternative. Hubby chose a cheesecake dessert, which was good, and I enjoyed coffee with Bailey's. All in all, another great experience at The Flatiron!Special Features: