The Fish Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/
- Phone: 6192323474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner Sunday through Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tony Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private banquet room that will accommodate up to 50 people. Contact our Reservationist at 629-232-3474 or email at SDreservations@thefishmarket.com for more information
- Entertainment: No live music, however, our Sushi Chefs and Oyster Bar Cooks provide exciting live action as they masterfully prepare exquisite seafood right before your eyes.
- Cross Street: Broadway/Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: Metropolitan Transit System busses stop right at the entrance of our parking lot on North Harbor Drive
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large public parking lot with parking meters that operate everyday but Sunday and most major holidays. We also offer Valet parking.
A word from The Fish Market
Serving the freshest and finest seafood in San Diego. Our harbor side restaurant located on San Diego bay offers multiple dining venues and amazing views. We have outside patio dining, outside cocktail area, enclosed patio dining and banquet facilities. We also have an Oyster Bar, full service bar and a Sushi Bar. We even have a retail market for fresh fish and all of our menu items are available for take out. We print our menus twice daily so that we may offer only the best. Mesquite charbroiled seafood, pastas, salads, specialties, clams & oysters, crab cakes, sushi and much more. You must try our famous Dungeness Crab Cioppino and signature Smoked Fish Sampler. Start your meal off with our exceptional sourdough bread and plan to finish your meal with a slice of house made key lime pie, creme brulee, or chocolate indulgence. We can accommodate groups of up to 50 in our private banquet room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (105)great for outdoor dining (71)great for lunch (58)special occasion (54)good for groups (41)fit for foodies (35)romantic (26)kid-friendly (23)great for brunch (20)hot spot (19)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Dinner before the Old GlobeSpecialKDined on 10/18/2014The Fish Market is a great place to dine. The view is amazing when you have a reservation. The fish was delicious - I had the fresh swordfish. Their bread was warm & tasty. Service was very good. We were celebrating my birthday so the waiter brought me a complimentary dessert which we shared.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerdrcliffDined on 10/17/2014Great service. Outstanding selection of fresh fish, perfectly prepared. Roasted vegetables were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific foodJames123Dined on 10/16/2014I've been here several times and it's always a great dining experience. One of San Diego's iconic restaurants...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The viewDdinerDined on 10/15/2014Sat outside - I sit there cause of the view Service is never good out there. Food is consistent - pretty good Ceviche is good, bloody mary is always amazing!
- Get the King Crab Legs!DinerBertsDined on 10/14/2014The chowder was so-so, the bread delish and filling. We had the King Crab legs, wonderful and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- So Great!parentsnightoutDined on 10/13/2014We had such an amazing night at The Fish Market! The views are beautiful, the food was fresh and delicious and the kids were happy the entire meal! It's so hard to find high quality food and kid friendly in one restaurant, but The Fish Market was the perfect restaurant for our family.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014above-average price for below-average food. Did enjoy eating out by the water.Special Features:
- Last Celebration!3CanadiansDined on 10/11/2014On our final day of a 15-day road trip along the Pacific Coast Highway, we had a fabulous lunch at The Fish Market. We enjoyed prime seating on the air conditionned glassed-in patio (San Diego was still under the effects of an unusual heat wave) and took in the fantastic view of the harbour next to the USS Midway. Our server, Ruben, was excellent and we had a delicious, relaxing lunch. The mezquite grilled fish was really good (there were 3 of us and we had swordfish, tilapia and black cod) and we couldn't get enough of the cheesy garlic bread! A truly memorable ending to our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014Celebrated an anniversary. Was sat out next to the window so we had a great view of the harbor and a great sunset. Waitress provided excellent service and suggestions for dinner. We will definately be back. One of our favorite places for seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, amazing foodMNLauraDined on 10/5/2014We had a romantic dinner out last night in San Diego. Complete with a beautiful setting outside, amazing drinks, scrumptious appetizers and an amazing sea food dinner. We'll be back again soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in SD...SirTitusDined on 10/3/2014Wanted to enjoy a great seafood meal and a romantic sunset with my wife in San Diego. Fish Market did not disappoint. Great food, EXCELLENT SERVICE, incredible views and a night to remember. I would highly recommend the Fish Market. Not the cheapest place to eat but you truly do get what you pay for! 4 Stars.Special Features:
- We have a great timetktoutdinnerDined on 10/3/2014We went with our friends from Irapuato Guanajuato Mexico we have a great time food was excellent service and ambience very good we were sitted by the window great vewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Market ReviewGpaxmanDined on 9/29/2014We had a very nice meal there. As usual with downtown/waterfront you have to pay for parking but it was easy to find a spot. We sat outside and had a very nice meal. Service was also very good. I would recommend this to anyone visiting San DiegoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmeddaisymiillerVIPDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant upstairs might offer a better experience, but downstairs is a cavernous restaurant that caters to the tourist trade with simple, but well cooked fish meals. Our server was excellent, and the views were lovely. Laird wine was on the wine list, which i appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Disappointing mealBadfood925Dined on 9/26/2014The appetizer Fried salt n pepper calamari was like eating a rubber band. Next the prawns in the scallop n prawns dish was dried out and over cooked, the linguine that was part of the dish was horrible! It was like biting into raw garlic. My worst experience in Restaurant Week! Don't waste your money! Overpriced and not edible!Special Features:
- Best seafood in San DiegoPaulDined on 9/26/2014As always, ny kunch at Fish Market was outstanding. My wife had the chipotle swordfish tacos with black beans and I had the Pacific Yellowtail. We both also had a bowl of New England clam chowder. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice time and foodSaulilloDined on 9/25/2014Every time I am here its great . They assigned a great table with view and service and food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I get it, but here's the thingluv2dineoutsideDined on 9/22/2014We went to the Fish Market for 1st time, prompted by its appearance in the list of participating restaurants for San Diego Restaurant Week. We each ordered off the the Rest. Week menu, I mean, it's part of the reason we went there. The list of wines offered for RW included whites but not Riesling and reds but not pinot noir. So we tried to order our food from the RW menu, but separately, the white or red wine we wanted off "the regular menu" but not available in the reduced RW-list. We were told we could not. A couple times. So we didn't order wine. I suppose we could have ordered what we wanted from the bar, easily enough. But forget it. The server lost out on tip, Fish Market lost out on fat-margin wine, and we walked out saying, "MEH."
- Metered parking or $10. valetfoodloverVIPDined on 9/17/2014We did not know about the metered parking and had no change. So we had to pay the $10 (with validation) parking fee. This adds quite a bit to your overall dining expense. The food is very good but expensive, no more so than any water front restaurant though. Service was very good but it wasn't all that crowded in the afternoon. I imagine at night it's very busy. It is right next to the Midway. Do not miss the Bob Hope memorial on the right side of the restaurant, very well done.Special Features:
- Good choiceMmeeDined on 9/14/2014We ate outside so the noise level was very low. However, inside it seemed quite noisy. The food was good and the portions were large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentfoodExpertDined on 9/12/2014Best food ever. The only problem is, they don't have a branch near Washington, D.C. Where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChanChanDined on 9/12/2014It's was my first time there at The Fishmarket, and the ocean view was great!! The food was also on piont everything was great. I would recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view & food!WilleniumVIPDined on 9/9/2014Fantastic food, Opha specifically, and the view of the USS Reagan and USS Nimitz in the harbor was awesome!!Special Features:
- Fish MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Requested a table by the window. Gave us a round table in the outdoor patio. Had a beautiful view. The food was delicious although it was quite noisy. Had a birthday and they sang and gave me chocolate cake, which was delicious. Make reservations, otherwise a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for lunchloveslunchDined on 9/7/2014Wanted to take an out of town visitor to a dining spot with a great view of San Diego Bay. It was a hit! The food was great, view wonderful and the service excellent. Even got there earlier than reservation and they sat us immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentnamibDined on 9/6/2014I have dined at several locations throught CA and have never been disappointed. My husband treated me to my birthday lunch and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. My husband had Manhattan Clam Chowder (best he has ever had) along with a Cesaer Salad. I enjoyed the Cajun Sea of Cortez Mesquite grilled prawns, aungratin potatoes and roasted veggies. If you are opposed to spicy food, I suggest ask for the Cajun prawns to be lightly seasoned as they are pretty spicy! The au gratin potatoes are a dream...I savored them to the end. Our waiter was Ruben, is an excellent server. He has a very nice disposition and brought us refills on beverages before we asked. He also brought out a delicious chocolate cake for me to enjoy for my birthday.Special Features:
- Good Food, Horrible ParkingLovesFishDined on 8/31/2014Very nice selection of food and reasonably priced. The restaurant was a little stuffy and we tried to open windows by the table but the wait staff really didn't want to infringe on the people sitting outside. Be warned: parking is a NIGHTMARE. We arrived ten minutes before our reservation but there was no parking. In fact, even the valet parking was full. When we asked the valet where we were suppose to park, he was surly and rude. Absolutely no help at all. While I liked the food and the view, we probably won't go back to The Fish Market because of the parking situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodmginazDined on 8/30/2014The food was great and so was the service. Keep you eye on the parking meter though. It was the only disappointment we had. Almost as if the meter maid was waiting until the final second that my time ran out. I was about 2 minutes late getting there to add more quarter2 but as I walked up to my truck I noticed she ticketed me...so my complaint is the parking even though the restaurant doesn't own the parking lot there should still be adequate parking for the guests..the ticket was $37.50Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish was delicious!gratia23Dined on 8/30/2014All the seafood we had was fresh and awesome. We had reservations, so it was not an issue being seated. The parking, however, was a nightmare. The good food did override the bit of stress incurred while waiting for valet to have an open space. The view is breathtaking and the day was beautiful and clear, making it a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location-average foodLouiseDined on 8/28/2014The food was adaquate. Not real tasty like I thought it would be. I wouldn't recommend it for dinner. Lunch would probably alright. I thought it would be a lot better for seafood.Special Features:
- Great view! Blah food.SwackerDined on 8/28/2014Love the location, view and parking, but the food is comparable to eating at Coco's or something similar. My rock fish and rice were mediocre and my husband said his fish and chips were the worst he's had in a long time.Special Features:
- Adam ChristiansonscsdDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food, great service! We were met by friendly staff who had a table outside reserved for us. Great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialFishmarketDined on 8/26/2014The food and ambiance are the reason I always return every visit I'm in San Diego.Special Features:
- Wow.WendyluDined on 8/24/2014We went to the Fish Market for my step-dads birthday. He loves seafood. My mom loves lobster. I'm allergic to shellfish and i dont really eat fish. It was delicious. I had a grilled artichoke and the warm spinach salad. Mom had a lobster tail and dad had alaskan halibut. It was all perfect and delicious. They also have sushi, even hamburgers. The view was beautiful. We watched the boats go by. The valet parking was very nice. My mom doesnt walk very far. We bought some fresh fish on our way out. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social Scene-icEpicureanDined on 8/23/2014This is a great place for socializing and the panoramic splendor of the SD Bay makes for a terrific backdrop. Understandably busy, their can be a wait for service, food and refills. However, their deep menu of reasonably priced sea food offers a variety of delicious dishes. I had the Shrimp Pomodora and our friends enjoyed the Teriyaki Fish Sliders and Shrimp Louie Salad. All dishes were tasty and plates were cleaned; a good sign that all facets of the meal met or exceeded standards. We all enjoyed the bay activity; numerous sail boats, small pleasure craft and kayaks past by the view of the US Navy aircraft carriers in the distance. Work around the peak hours to get the tables with the best views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindslrich611Dined on 8/20/2014This place has it all! Great food, great service and a spectacular view. Great place to have dinner and then kickoff an evening walk. Great location! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in TownCarlyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed dining at the Fish Market which is known for creating a daily menu of fresh fish entrées, we ordered the Fish Chips & Prawns, Sea Scallops and Shrimp on-a-skewer and both dishes were delicious. I want to thank our server Mandi for the great customer service and for making my mom’s birthday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable momentsmertsDined on 8/14/2014Yummy food, Great ambiance and a special place for family and friends to enjoy making memories togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst attentionGACCDined on 8/14/2014They have the worst attention for customers, managers and the personnel at the front are the ones that make this restaurant a mess.Special Features:
- food for thought in San Diego catopgunDined on 8/13/2014The food was absolutely wonderful. Each and every dish better tasting than the previous. We shared all we ordered and enjoyed a feast. We do not live in San Diego but this will be on our list when we go there. Although our server was little difficult to engage, it did not take away from the beauty of the deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.