The Fish Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/
- Phone: 6192323474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner Sunday through Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tony Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private banquet room that will accommodate up to 50 people. Contact our Reservationist at 629-232-3474 or email at SDreservations@thefishmarket.com for more information
- Entertainment: No live music, however, our Sushi Chefs and Oyster Bar Cooks provide exciting live action as they masterfully prepare exquisite seafood right before your eyes.
- Cross Street: Broadway/Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: Metropolitan Transit System busses stop right at the entrance of our parking lot on North Harbor Drive
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large public parking lot with parking meters that operate everyday but Sunday and most major holidays. We also offer Valet parking.
A word from The Fish Market
Serving the freshest and finest seafood in San Diego. Our harbor side restaurant located on San Diego bay offers multiple dining venues and amazing views. We have outside patio dining, outside cocktail area, enclosed patio dining and banquet facilities. We also have an Oyster Bar, full service bar and a Sushi Bar. We even have a retail market for fresh fish and all of our menu items are available for take out. We print our menus twice daily so that we may offer only the best. Mesquite charbroiled seafood, pastas, salads, specialties, clams & oysters, crab cakes, sushi and much more. You must try our famous Dungeness Crab Cioppino and signature Smoked Fish Sampler. Start your meal off with our exceptional sourdough bread and plan to finish your meal with a slice of house made key lime pie, creme brulee, or chocolate indulgence. We can accommodate groups of up to 50 in our private banquet room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (100)great for outdoor dining (61)great for lunch (59)special occasion (46)good for groups (36)romantic (32)fit for foodies (29)kid-friendly (26)great for brunch (24)hot spot (16)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Memorable momentsmertsDined on 8/14/2014Yummy food, Great ambiance and a special place for family and friends to enjoy making memories togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst attentionGACCDined on 8/14/2014They have the worst attention for customers, managers and the personnel at the front are the ones that make this restaurant a mess.Special Features:
- food for thought in San Diego catopgunDined on 8/13/2014The food was absolutely wonderful. Each and every dish better tasting than the previous. We shared all we ordered and enjoyed a feast. We do not live in San Diego but this will be on our list when we go there. Although our server was little difficult to engage, it did not take away from the beauty of the deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, lively atmosphereLive2dineDined on 8/12/2014Good, attentive, service and great food keeps us coming back to this special place. Really energetic, fun vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and not so goodSwordfishDined on 8/12/2014My swordfish was good but my wife's rice and shrimp was mediocre at best. The drink selection was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Bad experience overall. The service and food were under par from prior visits. If it weren't for the view, the entire experience would have been a let down.Special Features:
- SeaFoodLoverDined on 8/9/2014If you want quality sea food then this is the best place in San Diego. Parking can be hard to find during peak times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest fish in townfishloverDined on 8/9/2014have eaten here many times and the food is always good. Service is great... and for those of us who can't eat gluten, well, the sourdough is awesome, so go be tempted.Special Features:
- Great place for Lunch!Table4U2Dined on 8/6/2014Super outdoor dining on the patio, complete with views, light breeze, excellent service and delicious food. I had the wedge salad with a side of swordfish... the grilled swordfish is the best here of anywhere I have eaten in San Diego! I recommend trying it! We had a group of 7 people and it was a treat to share a nice lunch together here. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great view enjoying fabby eatsDinDin4meVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a scenic view of the Bay while enjoying a delicious meal. Fish market offers so many choices of fresh seafood. My waiter recommended a cod that was quite tasty and enjoyable to eat. Highly recommend this restaurant for some really good eats.Special Features:
- dinnerfor2Dined on 8/2/2014We enjoy eating here every time we go to San Diego. Being from the desert we always enjoy the view of the bay & the cioppino is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have been here many timesTable4U2Dined on 8/2/2014we love going here for lunch... this time there was a slight misunderstanding on the lunch entree but the waitress was efficient & resolved the issue. Food was good and we would recommend this place :o) It does get very busy on Saturday's so making a reservation here was perfect!Special Features:
- FM is still great after many visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014Took out of town guests to lunch at the Fish Market and it was a big hit! The views are great and it's perfect for a casual lunch. The glassed-in patio was ideal on a sunny day, and not too windy. The fish is very fresh, and the Au-gratin potatoes and sourdough bread still as good as I remember them. They have a gluten free menu as well. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Did they read the res request note?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2014I was disappointed after making a reservation requesting a window/view table & stating we were celebrating my mom's 81st bday...they put us outside on the side deck on a hot, muggy day. Really? 85+ degrees & muggy as all hell for an 81 year old woman and her 80 year old friend? I asked to be moved inside. We were moved to a table for 4 with a seat set at the end of the table for the 5th. It really was uncomfortable. The sad thing was the restaurant was not full. They could have done a better job in creating an alternative seating situation for us. After all, they took a small table & added it to a 4-top to seat 6 people right next to us. Shame on Fish Market. I am really disappointed. Expected better for this big day for mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for meetingDatenightDined on 7/29/2014I took a customer there this week and they sat us all the way in the back in a corner table with a view. Quiet and beautiful. We also had them do the fish n chips with the Halibut instead of Cod. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We waited for more than 20 minutes, and we finally had a table because we showed up again to ask about our table, and we realized that there were many tables free. We were just "forgotten" by the hostess.Special Features:
- faityDined on 7/20/2014the view is great at the balcony of the restaurant and there is a decent wine list. the food is not that good, over priced if you are not sitting on the deckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!ValdezOhanaDined on 7/20/2014I love the ambience of this place! My wife and I went out on a couples date with some friends and everything from the food and wine to the scenery really set the mood. We had a table right next to the water that had an amazing view of Coronado and the many sail boats that pass by. We ordered oysters Rockefeller for our appetizer and the smoked salmon and albacore with cheese, bread and wine for our main course; ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! My only grumble is the parking. We went on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm, and the valet was full as was all the parking stalls with meters. But all in all, a very pleasing experience and the staff was very accommodating. We're looking forward to trying other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louder than "energetic"INDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Fish Market is a very popular place in a prime location adjacent to the USS Midway. We were in a long line to check in when (luckily) we heard our name announced and were taken right to our table on time. Unfortunately, we were seated across from two couples with 8 unruly children. The restaurant is quite loud, in general, so that was multiplied exponentially, and detracted from our dining experience. Highly recommend the key lime pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood SelectionDianeDined on 7/18/2014My husband loves seafood so the Fish Market is the perfect place for him. It takes him awhile to decide what seafood to select. No matter what his selection, he is always happy with his choice. I really enjoy their selection of wines. I've never been disappointed with any of their wines. We can't go to San Diego and not eat at the Fish Market.Special Features:
- DisappointedAMPPVIPDined on 7/16/2014Disappointed from start to finish. Had an Open Table reservation at 4:00, but our guests plane was early so we ended up arriving at 3:30. Not many people in the restaurant, half the tables were empty, but made us wait until 4:00 to be seated. I can only suspect that they wanted to give us the pricier dinner menu instead of the lunch menu. I have been to several Open Table restaurants early and NEVER have I had that happen. Forgot our appetizer salad, so it was served with our meal. My fish tacos were extremely dry. Served a Caesar without the chicken, had to send it back. One guest did not receive her meal. Had to ask for it a couple of times. We used to really like this restaurant to take out of town guests, but no longer.
- Great food, incredible viewsdiningfanDined on 7/11/2014Had a business lunch. Was very thankful that I made a reservation about 30 minutes before leaving the office, as the wait was at least 20 minutes for walk-ins. We got right in. The food was outstanding and I'll definitely be headed back to try several other dishes that looked very tempting. We sat outside, which concerned me a bit because I'm not a bright sun, hot weather kind of person. But there was a wonderful oceanside breeze and the view was stunning. The deck places you right over the water. I'm already looking for an excuse to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Tuna and the lime prawnsSamtanDined on 7/10/2014The fish is really fresh the staff friends we liked the food so much we went back the next day for lunch. Wine list could be better but then that's a truism for 90 pct of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricey for substandard seafoodLakeviewdinersDined on 7/5/2014Don't waste your money on the Louie salad. Complete joke. Husband ordered the specialty seafood red sauce dish and commented that it was very fishy tasting. Great view but def not worth the price. Waitress was friendly. Very touristy. Would never return.
- Best Lobster AnywhereMeryllVIPDined on 7/5/2014Large portion, always cooked perfectly, and absolutely love the flavor.Special Features:
- Working LunchRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 7/2/2014Come here frequently, and it was outstanding. Working lunch today, and it wasn't so busy and loud, so could carry on a conversation without any difficulty. I had the fish tacos, and they were wonderful. Large pieces of fish were flaky and tacos had great flavor. The fresh baked bread excellent and view. . . well it's the Fish Market.Special Features:
- Ocean viewPasoDianneDined on 7/2/2014Had a delicious Louie salad with crab and shrimp overlooking the beautiful bay. Great ambiance and staff was accommodating. Server was excellent and food delicious for all in the party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Awesome!wannabfoodieDined on 6/22/2014Came here for an early dinner on a bustling, sunny weekend afternoon, it was my second time here. The lines were incredibly long, so thank goodness we had a reservation. We were seated right away outside, by the ocean, only separated by a see through window. The view was absolutely amazing and our server was impeccable, A+ for service on both occasions. Get the oysters and cioppino with pasta, they won't disappoint! This is a touristy spot so prepare yourselves. The restaurant is located between the Midway battleship and Seaport Village, perfect place for those seeking to impress visitors.Special Features:
- nyinternationalDined on 6/20/2014All the fresh mesquite grilled fish is absolutely out of this world. I personally recommend the Sea Bass from the Gulf of California with the potatoes au gratin and the grilled vegetables as sides along with a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodazaardvark2kDined on 6/15/2014Fantastic food. Superb quality and quantity. Absolutely fantastic service! Parking can be a challenge, but the food makes it worth the task!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been to The Fish Market faithfully over the past 5-6 years. The restaurant has definitely declined in their food preparation and portions have gotten a lot smaller. I don't believe we will be back. Too many other restaurants in San Diego in the same price range that offers more. Very disappointing. Management has obviously decided to attract the tourist crowd, for a one time meal, instead of the local clientele.
- Great food &view,service a bit slowEtonnanteDined on 6/15/2014Took Dad here for Father's Day - very nice staff, great food, nice views of the water and boats. Maybe it's because we had a new waiter and it was busy, but service was rather slow. Waiting for drinks or dessert or even just to get bread took a while - what I thought would be a 1 hour lunch ended up taking over 2 hours, half of it waiting. Still a fun experience though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Fish MarketalldanonDined on 6/14/2014I've been to The Fish Market twice and both times were exceptionally good. The location on the wharf is beautiful to watch the sunset while having a great meal. The service is always fast and friendly and the menu has many choices of dishes to order. I look forward to going back again soon.Special Features:
- Great icon!ourfishplaceDined on 6/11/2014We love seafood and never miss the San Diego Fish Market. Outstanding food and great service consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view place with best seafoodJuliaVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great service and fresh food. We had great time. Either you want to relax on a deck or inside - all is good. Great ambiance, relaxing. Best happy hour I had in harbor.Special Features:
- Don't miss thisDenverdougVIPDined on 6/7/2014Make sure to get a table outside or in the covered area with a view right on the harbor. While all the tables have a view, being right next to it is kind of fun. The cioppino was great! the bread is warm and delicious. All of the seafood was perfect. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktails are also not to be missed, very large and so tasty! Just parking or walking there by the large statue of the returning navy soldier kissing is sweetheart is fun. Lots of people as you walk and a fun walk by a battleship. Don't miss this if your in San Diego. One of our new favorites when we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Top notch food, service was impeccable, seaside tables, gorgeous views! It doesn't get any better than this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, good foodSDdinerDined on 6/6/2014Was greatly turned off by the slow and inattentive service during our recent visit. We were at the restaurant for 2 hours, despite being ready to order withing minutes of sitting down. Our waitress rarely checked in, rarely refilled glasses, and offered no explanation or apology for the extremely long wait time (45 minutes) from ordering to when our food arrived. The food was good; nothing spectacular but good seafood. However, we were seated on the outside deck and it was quite dirty. Our glass-topped table was very dirty, with food crumbs being visible underneath the glass. Clearly a good cleaning is in order, as the filth was a big turnoff. Several pieces of our silverware were extremely bent as well. The Fish Market has gone downhill.Special Features:
- DonesherryvelDined on 6/2/2014The seafood is cooked very nicely don't bother with side dishes - Cesar salad is average, shrimp cocktail and bread are both delicious!Special Features:
- DollyDined on 5/31/2014First I called to make reservations for 2 over the phone. Was told I could not make them for just 2 people. So I went online and saw a reservation button. Used it and reservations and confirmation came to me right away. Was so please to know I was able to reserve a table for my 22nd Wedding Anniversary dinner with my husband. We ate, we drank, we talked, we saw the view, paid $155.00 and had a wonderful time. Exactly what we wanted to do for our Wedding Anniversary. Making Reservations 4 hours before we arrived was easy and great. Parking was crazy but it was a Saturday so I understood that.Special Features: