The Fish Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/
- Phone: 6192323474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner Sunday through Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tony Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private banquet room that will accommodate up to 50 people. Contact our Reservationist at 629-232-3474 or email at SDreservations@thefishmarket.com for more information
- Entertainment: No live music, however, our Sushi Chefs and Oyster Bar Cooks provide exciting live action as they masterfully prepare exquisite seafood right before your eyes.
- Cross Street: Broadway/Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: Metropolitan Transit System busses stop right at the entrance of our parking lot on North Harbor Drive
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large public parking lot with parking meters that operate everyday but Sunday and most major holidays. We also offer Valet parking.
A word from The Fish Market
Serving the freshest and finest seafood in San Diego. Our harbor side restaurant located on San Diego bay offers multiple dining venues and amazing views. We have outside patio dining, outside cocktail area, enclosed patio dining and banquet facilities. We also have an Oyster Bar, full service bar and a Sushi Bar. We even have a retail market for fresh fish and all of our menu items are available for take out. We print our menus twice daily so that we may offer only the best. Mesquite charbroiled seafood, pastas, salads, specialties, clams & oysters, crab cakes, sushi and much more. You must try our famous Dungeness Crab Cioppino and signature Smoked Fish Sampler. Start your meal off with our exceptional sourdough bread and plan to finish your meal with a slice of house made key lime pie, creme brulee, or chocolate indulgence. We can accommodate groups of up to 50 in our private banquet room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (86)great for outdoor dining (50)great for lunch (50)special occasion (42)good for groups (32)romantic (32)fit for foodies (31)kid-friendly (24)great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (15)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- faityDined on 7/20/2014the view is great at the balcony of the restaurant and there is a decent wine list. the food is not that good, over priced if you are not sitting on the deckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!ValdezOhanaDined on 7/20/2014I love the ambience of this place! My wife and I went out on a couples date with some friends and everything from the food and wine to the scenery really set the mood. We had a table right next to the water that had an amazing view of Coronado and the many sail boats that pass by. We ordered oysters Rockefeller for our appetizer and the smoked salmon and albacore with cheese, bread and wine for our main course; ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! My only grumble is the parking. We went on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm, and the valet was full as was all the parking stalls with meters. But all in all, a very pleasing experience and the staff was very accommodating. We're looking forward to trying other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louder than "energetic"INDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Fish Market is a very popular place in a prime location adjacent to the USS Midway. We were in a long line to check in when (luckily) we heard our name announced and were taken right to our table on time. Unfortunately, we were seated across from two couples with 8 unruly children. The restaurant is quite loud, in general, so that was multiplied exponentially, and detracted from our dining experience. Highly recommend the key lime pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAMPPVIPDined on 7/16/2014Disappointed from start to finish. Had an Open Table reservation at 4:00, but our guests plane was early so we ended up arriving at 3:30. Not many people in the restaurant, half the tables were empty, but made us wait until 4:00 to be seated. I can only suspect that they wanted to give us the pricier dinner menu instead of the lunch menu. I have been to several Open Table restaurants early and NEVER have I had that happen. Forgot our appetizer salad, so it was served with our meal. My fish tacos were extremely dry. Served a Caesar without the chicken, had to send it back. One guest did not receive her meal. Had to ask for it a couple of times. We used to really like this restaurant to take out of town guests, but no longer.
- Great food, incredible viewsdiningfanDined on 7/11/2014Had a business lunch. Was very thankful that I made a reservation about 30 minutes before leaving the office, as the wait was at least 20 minutes for walk-ins. We got right in. The food was outstanding and I'll definitely be headed back to try several other dishes that looked very tempting. We sat outside, which concerned me a bit because I'm not a bright sun, hot weather kind of person. But there was a wonderful oceanside breeze and the view was stunning. The deck places you right over the water. I'm already looking for an excuse to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Tuna and the lime prawnsSamtanDined on 7/10/2014The fish is really fresh the staff friends we liked the food so much we went back the next day for lunch. Wine list could be better but then that's a truism for 90 pct of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricey for substandard seafoodLakeviewdinersDined on 7/5/2014Don't waste your money on the Louie salad. Complete joke. Husband ordered the specialty seafood red sauce dish and commented that it was very fishy tasting. Great view but def not worth the price. Waitress was friendly. Very touristy. Would never return.
- Best Lobster AnywhereMeryllVIPDined on 7/5/2014Large portion, always cooked perfectly, and absolutely love the flavor.Special Features:
- Working LunchRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 7/2/2014Come here frequently, and it was outstanding. Working lunch today, and it wasn't so busy and loud, so could carry on a conversation without any difficulty. I had the fish tacos, and they were wonderful. Large pieces of fish were flaky and tacos had great flavor. The fresh baked bread excellent and view. . . well it's the Fish Market.Special Features:
- Ocean viewPasoDianneDined on 7/2/2014Had a delicious Louie salad with crab and shrimp overlooking the beautiful bay. Great ambiance and staff was accommodating. Server was excellent and food delicious for all in the party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Awesome!wannabfoodieDined on 6/22/2014Came here for an early dinner on a bustling, sunny weekend afternoon, it was my second time here. The lines were incredibly long, so thank goodness we had a reservation. We were seated right away outside, by the ocean, only separated by a see through window. The view was absolutely amazing and our server was impeccable, A+ for service on both occasions. Get the oysters and cioppino with pasta, they won't disappoint! This is a touristy spot so prepare yourselves. The restaurant is located between the Midway battleship and Seaport Village, perfect place for those seeking to impress visitors.Special Features:
- nyinternationalDined on 6/20/2014All the fresh mesquite grilled fish is absolutely out of this world. I personally recommend the Sea Bass from the Gulf of California with the potatoes au gratin and the grilled vegetables as sides along with a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodazaardvark2kDined on 6/15/2014Fantastic food. Superb quality and quantity. Absolutely fantastic service! Parking can be a challenge, but the food makes it worth the task!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been to The Fish Market faithfully over the past 5-6 years. The restaurant has definitely declined in their food preparation and portions have gotten a lot smaller. I don't believe we will be back. Too many other restaurants in San Diego in the same price range that offers more. Very disappointing. Management has obviously decided to attract the tourist crowd, for a one time meal, instead of the local clientele.
- Great food &view,service a bit slowEtonnanteDined on 6/15/2014Took Dad here for Father's Day - very nice staff, great food, nice views of the water and boats. Maybe it's because we had a new waiter and it was busy, but service was rather slow. Waiting for drinks or dessert or even just to get bread took a while - what I thought would be a 1 hour lunch ended up taking over 2 hours, half of it waiting. Still a fun experience though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Fish MarketalldanonDined on 6/14/2014I've been to The Fish Market twice and both times were exceptionally good. The location on the wharf is beautiful to watch the sunset while having a great meal. The service is always fast and friendly and the menu has many choices of dishes to order. I look forward to going back again soon.Special Features:
- Great icon!ourfishplaceDined on 6/11/2014We love seafood and never miss the San Diego Fish Market. Outstanding food and great service consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view place with best seafoodJuliaVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great service and fresh food. We had great time. Either you want to relax on a deck or inside - all is good. Great ambiance, relaxing. Best happy hour I had in harbor.Special Features:
- Don't miss thisDenverdougVIPDined on 6/7/2014Make sure to get a table outside or in the covered area with a view right on the harbor. While all the tables have a view, being right next to it is kind of fun. The cioppino was great! the bread is warm and delicious. All of the seafood was perfect. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktails are also not to be missed, very large and so tasty! Just parking or walking there by the large statue of the returning navy soldier kissing is sweetheart is fun. Lots of people as you walk and a fun walk by a battleship. Don't miss this if your in San Diego. One of our new favorites when we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Top notch food, service was impeccable, seaside tables, gorgeous views! It doesn't get any better than this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, good foodSDdinerDined on 6/6/2014Was greatly turned off by the slow and inattentive service during our recent visit. We were at the restaurant for 2 hours, despite being ready to order withing minutes of sitting down. Our waitress rarely checked in, rarely refilled glasses, and offered no explanation or apology for the extremely long wait time (45 minutes) from ordering to when our food arrived. The food was good; nothing spectacular but good seafood. However, we were seated on the outside deck and it was quite dirty. Our glass-topped table was very dirty, with food crumbs being visible underneath the glass. Clearly a good cleaning is in order, as the filth was a big turnoff. Several pieces of our silverware were extremely bent as well. The Fish Market has gone downhill.Special Features:
- DonesherryvelDined on 6/2/2014The seafood is cooked very nicely don't bother with side dishes - Cesar salad is average, shrimp cocktail and bread are both delicious!Special Features:
- DollyDined on 5/31/2014First I called to make reservations for 2 over the phone. Was told I could not make them for just 2 people. So I went online and saw a reservation button. Used it and reservations and confirmation came to me right away. Was so please to know I was able to reserve a table for my 22nd Wedding Anniversary dinner with my husband. We ate, we drank, we talked, we saw the view, paid $155.00 and had a wonderful time. Exactly what we wanted to do for our Wedding Anniversary. Making Reservations 4 hours before we arrived was easy and great. Parking was crazy but it was a Saturday so I understood that.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysfavplaceDined on 5/31/2014Fish Market has always been one of our favorite places. Our waiter was INCREDIBLE!! Probably best waiter I've had at any restaurant. Will be back again & again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AgainRetiredButWorkingVIPDined on 5/27/2014Fast, Friendly & Professional Service. Best Views in town.Special Features:
- Delicious and excellent experienceElCajoncouple52569Dined on 5/25/2014Yellowtail Amberjack with veggies and tomatoes...so good! Cioppino was very good-more spice in sauce for my taste. Arrived earlier than 4:45 reservation for two, waited long enough to look around and at the view, seated quickly by the window inside! Enjoying the bread at 4:45 :) Mandy gave us excellent and thoughtful service! This is a popular and busy restaurant! Parking challenging, but enjoyed walking a few blocks. We look forward to the next time. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great bayside diningLightekDined on 5/24/2014Excellent fresh seafood selections changing daily. Outside dining, attentive staff, mesquite grill. Go early eveningif you want an outside table.Special Features:
- great lunch place with a viewlocalVIPDined on 5/24/2014Very enjoyable conversation while eating lunch and enjoying the view. Recommend the delicious fish/scollops here!Special Features:
- frozen fish at The Fish Market?dblDatersDined on 5/22/2014Calimari appetizer not up to usual taste or presentation. Bay Shrimp in appetizer cocktail not the freshest and not cold. Mahi Mahi not up to usual standards - tough and tasted like it had been frozen. We shall give it some thought before returning to a restaurant that we consider to have great ambiance and great food.Special Features:
- Great viewEarlyDinnerDined on 5/17/2014Had lunch on a Saturday with friends and family. Food was delicious, had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We ordered the Ahi, halibut, spicy tuna rolls and edamame, all were delish! They were packed for mother's day, but we made reservations mo the in advance, we revieved a table next to a window overlooking the bay! We will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatoceandweller007Dined on 5/11/2014I have been going to this restaurant as well as the restaurant on top of it, Top of The Market, for many years and it has always been a great experience. The food is always prepared well and the view of San Diego Bay is incredible.Special Features:
- Awesome Seafood!yeejulDined on 5/9/2014This is our second time here as we are from Canada and we have not been disappointed every time we come here! The fish is very fresh and the service is excellent! Cannot go wrong with any of the fish dishes and clam chowder!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffKdragonDined on 5/3/2014Our group of 6 had dinner at Fish Market in San Diego. I had made an online reservation and could only get a 4:45PM time. When I arrived at 4:30, I requested a 5:30 time and the hostess was very accommodating. We were seated on the glassed-in patio by request, but it turned out to be very hot and the A/C was extremely weak and ineffective. Our server, Steve, was gracious in having us moved indoors with A/C, even though it meant he would lose a gratuity from a large party. It took just a few minutes to reseat us and we enjoyed our food very much. I can't say enough about the great service we received!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafooddivineDined on 5/2/2014The staff was very friendly. The food was excellent. Not overpriced. It was so good we went back the next night for dinner. Excellent selection on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerKRT24Dined on 4/22/2014The Fish Market is easily my favorite seafood restaurant, and now it is my daughter's, too! We drove from Orange County just to have her 13th birthday dinner here, and it did not disappoint. Our food was fresh and delicious; the service was prompt and very friendly; and our table in the patio was perfect! The staff knew it was my daughter's birthday in advance, so they brought out a special birthday cake and had several of the wait staff there to sing "Happy Birthday" to her. An excellent experience, as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- easter brunchvalocalDined on 4/20/2014Normally I enjoy this locale. We arrived on time. Although, my food was pipping hot and tasty; my mother in laws food was stone cold. She was hungry so we ate and left without really enjoying the atmosphere. Not sure when she will be back.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceFood4usDined on 4/19/2014Good place for fresh seafood and great water view! Service was great but was disappointed we had to wait 15 min with a month in advance reservation. But was happy with our waiter and food was great! And great Kid environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cstgirlbldrDined on 4/16/2014Large restaurant with good food Our server seemed harried and disorga sized. Food was good but the u even service diminished the experience. The restaurant is next to the USS Midway and although the restaurant was not crowded there were no parking spaces and we waited 10 minutes for a valet space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafoodwineNdineDined on 4/15/2014Very fresh seafood and great location--highly recommended.Special Features: