The Fish Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/
- Phone: 6192323474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner Sunday through Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Tony Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private banquet room that will accommodate up to 50 people. Contact our Reservationist at 629-232-3474 or email at SDreservations@thefishmarket.com for more information
- Entertainment: No live music, however, our Sushi Chefs and Oyster Bar Cooks provide exciting live action as they masterfully prepare exquisite seafood right before your eyes.
- Cross Street: Broadway/Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: Metropolitan Transit System busses stop right at the entrance of our parking lot on North Harbor Drive
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large public parking lot with parking meters that operate everyday but Sunday and most major holidays. We also offer Valet parking.
A word from The Fish Market
Serving the freshest and finest seafood in San Diego. Our harbor side restaurant located on San Diego bay offers multiple dining venues and amazing views. We have outside patio dining, outside cocktail area, enclosed patio dining and banquet facilities. We also have an Oyster Bar, full service bar and a Sushi Bar. We even have a retail market for fresh fish and all of our menu items are available for take out. We print our menus twice daily so that we may offer only the best. Mesquite charbroiled seafood, pastas, salads, specialties, clams & oysters, crab cakes, sushi and much more. You must try our famous Dungeness Crab Cioppino and signature Smoked Fish Sampler. Start your meal off with our exceptional sourdough bread and plan to finish your meal with a slice of house made key lime pie, creme brulee, or chocolate indulgence. We can accommodate groups of up to 50 in our private banquet room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (104)great for outdoor dining (71)great for lunch (59)special occasion (50)good for groups (36)fit for foodies (34)romantic (30)kid-friendly (23)great for brunch (22)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- Metered parking or $10. valetOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/17/2014We did not know about the metered parking and had no change. So we had to pay the $10 (with validation) parking fee. This adds quite a bit to your overall dining expense. The food is very good but expensive, no more so than any water front restaurant though. Service was very good but it wasn't all that crowded in the afternoon. I imagine at night it's very busy. It is right next to the Midway. Do not miss the Bob Hope memorial on the right side of the restaurant, very well done.Special Features:
- Good choiceMmeeDined on 9/14/2014We ate outside so the noise level was very low. However, inside it seemed quite noisy. The food was good and the portions were large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentfoodExpertDined on 9/12/2014Best food ever. The only problem is, they don't have a branch near Washington, D.C. Where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChanChanDined on 9/12/2014It's was my first time there at The Fishmarket, and the ocean view was great!! The food was also on piont everything was great. I would recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view & food!WilleniumVIPDined on 9/9/2014Fantastic food, Opha specifically, and the view of the USS Reagan and USS Nimitz in the harbor was awesome!!Special Features:
- Fish MarketOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Requested a table by the window. Gave us a round table in the outdoor patio. Had a beautiful view. The food was delicious although it was quite noisy. Had a birthday and they sang and gave me chocolate cake, which was delicious. Make reservations, otherwise a long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for lunchloveslunchDined on 9/7/2014Wanted to take an out of town visitor to a dining spot with a great view of San Diego Bay. It was a hit! The food was great, view wonderful and the service excellent. Even got there earlier than reservation and they sat us immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentnamibDined on 9/6/2014I have dined at several locations throught CA and have never been disappointed. My husband treated me to my birthday lunch and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. My husband had Manhattan Clam Chowder (best he has ever had) along with a Cesaer Salad. I enjoyed the Cajun Sea of Cortez Mesquite grilled prawns, aungratin potatoes and roasted veggies. If you are opposed to spicy food, I suggest ask for the Cajun prawns to be lightly seasoned as they are pretty spicy! The au gratin potatoes are a dream...I savored them to the end. Our waiter was Ruben, is an excellent server. He has a very nice disposition and brought us refills on beverages before we asked. He also brought out a delicious chocolate cake for me to enjoy for my birthday.Special Features:
- Good Food, Horrible ParkingLovesFishDined on 8/31/2014Very nice selection of food and reasonably priced. The restaurant was a little stuffy and we tried to open windows by the table but the wait staff really didn't want to infringe on the people sitting outside. Be warned: parking is a NIGHTMARE. We arrived ten minutes before our reservation but there was no parking. In fact, even the valet parking was full. When we asked the valet where we were suppose to park, he was surly and rude. Absolutely no help at all. While I liked the food and the view, we probably won't go back to The Fish Market because of the parking situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodmginazDined on 8/30/2014The food was great and so was the service. Keep you eye on the parking meter though. It was the only disappointment we had. Almost as if the meter maid was waiting until the final second that my time ran out. I was about 2 minutes late getting there to add more quarter2 but as I walked up to my truck I noticed she ticketed me...so my complaint is the parking even though the restaurant doesn't own the parking lot there should still be adequate parking for the guests..the ticket was $37.50Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish was delicious!gratia23Dined on 8/30/2014All the seafood we had was fresh and awesome. We had reservations, so it was not an issue being seated. The parking, however, was a nightmare. The good food did override the bit of stress incurred while waiting for valet to have an open space. The view is breathtaking and the day was beautiful and clear, making it a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location-average foodLouiseDined on 8/28/2014The food was adaquate. Not real tasty like I thought it would be. I wouldn't recommend it for dinner. Lunch would probably alright. I thought it would be a lot better for seafood.Special Features:
- Great view! Blah food.SwackerDined on 8/28/2014Love the location, view and parking, but the food is comparable to eating at Coco's or something similar. My rock fish and rice were mediocre and my husband said his fish and chips were the worst he's had in a long time.Special Features:
- Adam ChristiansonscsdDined on 8/28/2014Excellent food, great service! We were met by friendly staff who had a table outside reserved for us. Great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialFishmarketDined on 8/26/2014The food and ambiance are the reason I always return every visit I'm in San Diego.Special Features:
- Wow.WendyluDined on 8/24/2014We went to the Fish Market for my step-dads birthday. He loves seafood. My mom loves lobster. I'm allergic to shellfish and i dont really eat fish. It was delicious. I had a grilled artichoke and the warm spinach salad. Mom had a lobster tail and dad had alaskan halibut. It was all perfect and delicious. They also have sushi, even hamburgers. The view was beautiful. We watched the boats go by. The valet parking was very nice. My mom doesnt walk very far. We bought some fresh fish on our way out. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Social Scene-icEpicureanDined on 8/23/2014This is a great place for socializing and the panoramic splendor of the SD Bay makes for a terrific backdrop. Understandably busy, their can be a wait for service, food and refills. However, their deep menu of reasonably priced sea food offers a variety of delicious dishes. I had the Shrimp Pomodora and our friends enjoyed the Teriyaki Fish Sliders and Shrimp Louie Salad. All dishes were tasty and plates were cleaned; a good sign that all facets of the meal met or exceeded standards. We all enjoyed the bay activity; numerous sail boats, small pleasure craft and kayaks past by the view of the US Navy aircraft carriers in the distance. Work around the peak hours to get the tables with the best views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindslrich611Dined on 8/20/2014This place has it all! Great food, great service and a spectacular view. Great place to have dinner and then kickoff an evening walk. Great location! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in TownCarlyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed dining at the Fish Market which is known for creating a daily menu of fresh fish entrées, we ordered the Fish Chips & Prawns, Sea Scallops and Shrimp on-a-skewer and both dishes were delicious. I want to thank our server Mandi for the great customer service and for making my mom’s birthday special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable momentsmertsDined on 8/14/2014Yummy food, Great ambiance and a special place for family and friends to enjoy making memories togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst attentionGACCDined on 8/14/2014They have the worst attention for customers, managers and the personnel at the front are the ones that make this restaurant a mess.Special Features:
- food for thought in San Diego catopgunDined on 8/13/2014The food was absolutely wonderful. Each and every dish better tasting than the previous. We shared all we ordered and enjoyed a feast. We do not live in San Diego but this will be on our list when we go there. Although our server was little difficult to engage, it did not take away from the beauty of the deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish, lively atmosphereLive2dineDined on 8/12/2014Good, attentive, service and great food keeps us coming back to this special place. Really energetic, fun vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and not so goodSwordfishDined on 8/12/2014My swordfish was good but my wife's rice and shrimp was mediocre at best. The drink selection was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Bad experience overall. The service and food were under par from prior visits. If it weren't for the view, the entire experience would have been a let down.Special Features:
- SeaFoodLoverDined on 8/9/2014If you want quality sea food then this is the best place in San Diego. Parking can be hard to find during peak times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest fish in townfishloverDined on 8/9/2014have eaten here many times and the food is always good. Service is great... and for those of us who can't eat gluten, well, the sourdough is awesome, so go be tempted.Special Features:
- Great place for Lunch!Table4U2Dined on 8/6/2014Super outdoor dining on the patio, complete with views, light breeze, excellent service and delicious food. I had the wedge salad with a side of swordfish... the grilled swordfish is the best here of anywhere I have eaten in San Diego! I recommend trying it! We had a group of 7 people and it was a treat to share a nice lunch together here. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great view enjoying fabby eatsDinDin4meVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a scenic view of the Bay while enjoying a delicious meal. Fish market offers so many choices of fresh seafood. My waiter recommended a cod that was quite tasty and enjoyable to eat. Highly recommend this restaurant for some really good eats.Special Features:
- dinnerfor2Dined on 8/2/2014We enjoy eating here every time we go to San Diego. Being from the desert we always enjoy the view of the bay & the cioppino is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have been here many timesTable4U2Dined on 8/2/2014we love going here for lunch... this time there was a slight misunderstanding on the lunch entree but the waitress was efficient & resolved the issue. Food was good and we would recommend this place :o) It does get very busy on Saturday's so making a reservation here was perfect!Special Features:
- FM is still great after many visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014Took out of town guests to lunch at the Fish Market and it was a big hit! The views are great and it's perfect for a casual lunch. The glassed-in patio was ideal on a sunny day, and not too windy. The fish is very fresh, and the Au-gratin potatoes and sourdough bread still as good as I remember them. They have a gluten free menu as well. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Did they read the res request note?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2014I was disappointed after making a reservation requesting a window/view table & stating we were celebrating my mom's 81st bday...they put us outside on the side deck on a hot, muggy day. Really? 85+ degrees & muggy as all hell for an 81 year old woman and her 80 year old friend? I asked to be moved inside. We were moved to a table for 4 with a seat set at the end of the table for the 5th. It really was uncomfortable. The sad thing was the restaurant was not full. They could have done a better job in creating an alternative seating situation for us. After all, they took a small table & added it to a 4-top to seat 6 people right next to us. Shame on Fish Market. I am really disappointed. Expected better for this big day for mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for meetingDatenightDined on 7/29/2014I took a customer there this week and they sat us all the way in the back in a corner table with a view. Quiet and beautiful. We also had them do the fish n chips with the Halibut instead of Cod. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We waited for more than 20 minutes, and we finally had a table because we showed up again to ask about our table, and we realized that there were many tables free. We were just "forgotten" by the hostess.Special Features:
- faityDined on 7/20/2014the view is great at the balcony of the restaurant and there is a decent wine list. the food is not that good, over priced if you are not sitting on the deckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!ValdezOhanaDined on 7/20/2014I love the ambience of this place! My wife and I went out on a couples date with some friends and everything from the food and wine to the scenery really set the mood. We had a table right next to the water that had an amazing view of Coronado and the many sail boats that pass by. We ordered oysters Rockefeller for our appetizer and the smoked salmon and albacore with cheese, bread and wine for our main course; ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! My only grumble is the parking. We went on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm, and the valet was full as was all the parking stalls with meters. But all in all, a very pleasing experience and the staff was very accommodating. We're looking forward to trying other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louder than "energetic"INDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014The Fish Market is a very popular place in a prime location adjacent to the USS Midway. We were in a long line to check in when (luckily) we heard our name announced and were taken right to our table on time. Unfortunately, we were seated across from two couples with 8 unruly children. The restaurant is quite loud, in general, so that was multiplied exponentially, and detracted from our dining experience. Highly recommend the key lime pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood SelectionDianeDined on 7/18/2014My husband loves seafood so the Fish Market is the perfect place for him. It takes him awhile to decide what seafood to select. No matter what his selection, he is always happy with his choice. I really enjoy their selection of wines. I've never been disappointed with any of their wines. We can't go to San Diego and not eat at the Fish Market.Special Features:
- DisappointedAMPPVIPDined on 7/16/2014Disappointed from start to finish. Had an Open Table reservation at 4:00, but our guests plane was early so we ended up arriving at 3:30. Not many people in the restaurant, half the tables were empty, but made us wait until 4:00 to be seated. I can only suspect that they wanted to give us the pricier dinner menu instead of the lunch menu. I have been to several Open Table restaurants early and NEVER have I had that happen. Forgot our appetizer salad, so it was served with our meal. My fish tacos were extremely dry. Served a Caesar without the chicken, had to send it back. One guest did not receive her meal. Had to ask for it a couple of times. We used to really like this restaurant to take out of town guests, but no longer.