1634 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireplacerest.com/
- Phone: (617) 975-1900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Mid-Day menu: Daily: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Solomon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fans of our rustic yet upscale fare at The Fireplace can also enjoy our locally sourced food at private events. Show off your home. Or pick the perfect place for a business outing, wedding or charity gala. We"ve got connections with some pretty magical New England venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The upscale but homey ambiance of The Fireplace makes for unforgettable gatherings. Parties as small as fourteen and as large as ninety fit perfectly into our cozy but comfortable confines.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Stuehmer 6179751900
- Entertainment: We love good music almost as much as we love good food. Join us at The Fireplace for some cool jazz and hot Latin music on the first Wednesdays and Thursdays of each month at The Fireplace. Shows start at 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Your credit card on file will be charge $25 per person if a cancellation is not made within 48 hours.
A word from The Fireplace
The Fireplace located in Brookline Massachusetts is a cosmopolitan New England Grill serving food with integrity while celebrating the bounty of the region and its Colonial influences. In addition to being the 1st Certified Green Restaurant in Boston, the restaurant has won numerous awards and mentions including Outstanding Wine List (Wine Spectator 2013), Chocolate Madness WinnerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fireplace reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (90)special occasion (49)romantic (44)great for brunch (39)good for groups (31)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great For Gluten Free Brunchhmc128VIPDined on 3/30/2014Great gluten free brunch. Honey almond pancakes are amazing.Special Features:
- Brunch fills up wellPennelVIPDined on 3/30/2014Brunch both filled me up well with excellent well seasoned duck hash, and also the brunch scene pretty quickly filled the room, with a long line waiting to get in. Deservedly popular. Good, tasty, fresh local sourced traditional dishes with some nice twists. They lose a few points by having about an extra 15 minutes between the order and the arrival of the eggs. I saw other parties be seated and finish up between the time we ordered and were served. If felt like our orders were lost although we were never given an explanation. Otherwise, all was great, service hit the right note of attentiveness and everyone's dishes looked interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerLovediningoutDined on 3/29/2014Fabulous food, loved chatting with chef/owner Jim Solomon.Special Features:
- Overpriced for what it isag1027VIPDined on 3/29/2014I've gone to Fireplace many times and have had mixed experiences. We were there on a recent Saturday night. We had a 6:30 reservation and had to wait a half hour before our table was ready. Our server seemed disinterested . The food , however, was quite good., even though the entrees are incredibly overpriced for what you get. It's not fine dining; it's upscale comfort food, yet you pay fine dining prices. It's not that much better than the nearby Washington Square Tavern or The Abbey, both of which are more reasonably priced.. I would recommend it for lunch, brunch, or small plates. Otherwise be prepared to spend a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy...ExpensiveMelisaDined on 3/28/2014Arugula salad: great Butternut squash soup: good, small bowl! Pasta dish: good, but nothing extraordinary. Short ribs were done well, except the sides that it was served with made it kind of a mushy plate. Chicken: pretty good We weren't that excited about the dessert options: peanut butter cheesecake or the poached pear and toasted almond tart served with ginger ice cream. I wasn't crazy about the tart, whereas the peanut butter cheesecake was okay. Overall, the atmosphere of this place is pretty nice, but the food isn't that amazing. I wasn't wowed enough to want to come back for a second try.Special Features:
- Brookline gemsmithan2VIPDined on 3/27/2014First time at Fireplace for restaurant week, and will definitely be back! Can't wait to be able to walk to it in the springtimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the bestsusana2014Dined on 3/27/2014I have to wait for 10 minutes for someone to come and greet, considering I have a reservation, the table assigned was in tiny corner, next to steps which I though any time a waiter will drop a glass on my head. waiting for my guest they did not come closer with the bread, I just had my glass of wine. The food had good presentation, but flavor not much, serve in a hurry and overprice. The level of the nice is high since the table are way too close to each other. The only good thing is the location.
- DeliciousHungry1Dined on 3/23/2014Best burger and fries I've ever had !!!! Everything I order is delicious !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/23/2014The positives - the ambience and menu options for brunch were excellent. I highly recommend the beet salad and the brussel sprouts and cauliflower appetizers. It was fresh, tasty and different without being overly complicated. Now for the negatives - We dined as a large party of 10 so my service rating could be slightly skewed based on that. It took us almost 3 hrs in total as the server was behind on almost every aspect of our meal. Drinks were forgotten, wrong soups were dropped off, I would dine again...this time as a smaller party though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014Had a reservation but still had a long wait. Despite that, the food was outstanding. This is my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor customer relations!eatalotVIPDined on 3/22/2014The hostess did not honor our reservations--even though they had called and confirmed. When we arrived at the restaurant they said that they could not seat us in the dining room but could give us the last table in the bar. They told us a waiter would be right with us. After a long wait and several requests about service, the bartender came over to help us. Even after placing our order, the wait for our food was so long that the bartender came over to apologize! Since the bar was 4-6 thick with drinkers, you can imagine what our "dining experience" was like. We were constantly bumped and any conversation was difficult. Although the food was good it is not a place that treated us well enough to want to return.
- Great dinnerYUB1984Dined on 3/22/2014Excellent dinner - excellent service - can't ask for more - oh, free parking too!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week 2014ActuaryGirlDined on 3/18/2014My friend and I decided to get the prix fixe dinner here during Restaurant Week. Our server was attentive, but did not hover. We ordered from the regular Restaurant Week menu, but there was also a gluten-free menu available. We mentioned to our server that we were going to do a sharing/family-style thing, and he brought serving spoons with each course - this was helpful. The food itself was delicious and I would definitely go back there again. The wine list was fairly extensive and it looked like just about all of the beers were from NE breweries. My only small qualm was that the tables were placed pretty close together - it was tough for me (average size) to get myself into and out of my chair. T-accessible and ample meter parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite dining spotBasilVIPDined on 3/16/2014We had a phenomenal time at the Fireplace. The new manager, Matthew, greeted us an ensured we had a good time. Our server was hilarious and did a good job of being attentive while giving my date and I some space. Definitely will come back.Special Features:
- Wonerful experienceVikkiDined on 3/15/2014We went to the Fireplace for the first time in 10 years. We thought we would give it another try. The last time we went there is was horrible. I am very happy to say that this time it was amazing! Our server Sarah was wonderful. She was attentive and could answer any questions we had. She checked on us and offered wonderful suggestions for drinks and food. I am happy to say that the Fireplace has stepped it back up. The cheese plate was wonderful and the mini lobster rolls were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste it all!KarenODined on 3/15/2014Great choices and the ability to order small portions of great dishes. I had a sampling and though my eyes were bigger than my stomach, I would do it that way again. A teeny lobster roll and a little short ribs on a bed of sweet mashed potatoes. Just yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a lovely dinner with aKT1969Dined on 3/15/2014Had a lovely dinner with a group of 8. Loved the small plate options, and ability to mix and match rather than commit to one entree [although those looked good too, but a bit less interesting]. I had the roasted brussels sprout and pickled cauliflower salad and the small sized "mushroom, mallard and merlot" risotto, and both were delicious. Great brown butter blondie with ice cream for dessert. Service very good also. Only bummer was that they put us at a round table that was really too small for our party, so we were kind of squished.Special Features:
- three of us were all disappointed.DodiVIPDined on 3/14/2014three of us were all disappointed. The rolls that were served were delicious although not enough butter. We requested more and it was never brought to the table. Good appetizer - the steak and cheese mac. I had the scallops and I thought they were expensive for what they were and I did not enjoy them- kind of gritty. One other also ordered the scallops and did not enjoy them. I asked for different sides and the waiter and restaurant was very good at serving me what I requested. The third person had salmon and thought it was ordinary. I forgot the others really liked the brocolli that was served with the steak and mac.Special Features:
- Solid lunchBoardingVIPDined on 3/12/2014Went randomly on a weekday for lunch, seated in a cozy corner in the front room. We both had the burgers done differently and were very satisfied with each of our burgers and the fries were quite tasty. The only con was the owner (I think?) was making friends with the table to our right so we got a view of his rear for a lot of our lunch as the tables are close together... but I can't assume that's the norm. Otherwise, a solid lunch and the grape thyme soda was quite interesting, definitely different than anything I'd gotten anywhere else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The FireplaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2014The food at The Fireplace is very good. The environment is comfortable and cozy. I would enjoy more vegetarian choices as well as gluten free options.Special Features:
- Not What I HopedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014This is a lovely-looking restaurant with excellent service. The menu offers interesting variety. Unfortunately, though, the food isn't very tasty. The elements on the plate look very nice and they should be delicious, but they just aren't. Everything tasted like it hadn't been seasoned. Also, our party came away reeking of smoke from the fireplace. Fireplace smell can be nice, but this wasn't. Perhaps it would smell better if the kitchen used different types of wood. The Fireplace didn't live up to my expectations.
- Repeat DinerabcdDined on 3/4/2014A reliable & consistently good place to eat. Worth even traveling a distance for either lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- wonderful night!namiDined on 3/1/2014I will leave Boston soon. and I wanted to go to the Fire Place again. Of course, it was fantastic! Beer was my favorite, and all meals were very delicious! I will miss this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodKitlen46Dined on 2/28/2014My friend and I sat right next to the fireplace which was so nice on a cold night. The waiter let us chat after he grabbed our drinks and didn't rush us to order. Had it been a date, it would have been very romantic! We ordered two small plates and a side of fries which was definitely enough food. We had the duck confit mushroom risotto and it was amazing. Also, the braised short rib was super soft and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter warmthBrookline1fanDined on 2/23/2014Had a lovely romantic Sun evening dinner , perfectly made filet mignon with a bernaise and hedgehog mushrooms with spinach . The place filled up and was cozy and not too loud , elegant and friendly at the same time Thanks ! Also known for burgers !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to the FireplaceFragileXDined on 2/22/2014We have been to the Fireplace a handful of times and it has always been amazing! Great selection, wonderful service and amazing bread!! Def recommend to anyone looking for a fantastic meal and a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have frequented this restaurantpleasureseekerDined on 2/22/2014I have frequented this restaurant on and off during the last 10 years and the food, service and management have become increasingly more satisfying. Every dish my companion and I shared during our last visit was delightful and the patrons all seemed happy! Glad to see that the Fireplace is doing so well.Special Features:
- Visiting relatives dinner,SpacedaveDined on 2/21/2014Our party of 4 arrived a little early and were seated immediately, although next to the kitchen serving counter, which added some noise to the relatively high ambient sound level. There were other tables open further away, but they might have been reserved with a note to be away from the kitchen. The waiter did some odd things. After I said we did not want to order drinks just now, he took away the wine list, this prior to our ordering food. He also was not much help on selecting a glass of wine with the skate I ordered, kept asking my what I liked, rather than making a suggestion that was appropriate for the entree. The food was very good, too much added salt to make it to excellent. I would try it again if in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Always special - always deliciousLisaDined on 2/21/2014Although I usually come with my boyfriend, this trip I came with three girlfriends, and we had a lovely evening! One friend with many dietary restrictions had no trouble finding choices (they do have a special gluten free menu). The wine selection was fantastic (many good choices by the glass). I do wish the portions were a little bit bigger - but the food is delicious! thank you for another great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful lunchsurgeonVIPDined on 2/18/2014A delicious leisurely lunch in a comfortable settingSpecial Features:
- Everything about this placeLuvsneatsDined on 2/17/2014Everything about this place is comforting: the food, the people, the ambience and especially the replaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbienceWizzDined on 2/17/2014Food was fantastic and the atmosphere was welcoming. There were a few mishaps towards the end, but overall everything was taken care of with great service and great management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice overall experienceSteveDined on 2/16/2014We had brunch as a party of 8 and we all enjoyed it. The menu was varied, food was tasty, the atmosphere was just right. I would certainly recommend The Fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, High PricesTrueBostonDined on 2/15/2014We went to the Fireplace for Valentine's weekend. They have a nice quaint but upscale environment that was perfect for a date night. Our server was friendly although not very knowledgeable on the wines or the menu of the evening (she claimed she had just gotten to work that day, so had to check with the kitchen on the details of a few items). Overall the food was pretty delicious, lobster bisque, lobster macaroni and cheese and an arugula and pomegranate salad. Since we split one salad and one entree and had one of the cheapest bottles of wine there, I was still a little surprised that it came out to over $100 for a dinner for two. That being said I'd definitely go again for a special occasion if money was no object.Special Features:
- FoodGreatonVIPDined on 2/15/2014Soup was cold on delivery and had tobe sent back waiter rushed us and neglected to advise us about specials.Special Features:
- This is my 2nd time here,RomanticSpotDined on 2/14/2014This is my 2nd time here, first time for dinner! We were seated promptly and nearly every table in the place was full. Waiter greeted us quickly and was knowledgable with the menu. I got the braised short ribs....VERY tasty, consistency a bit like a pot roast, but full of flavor nonetheless and accompanied with some great extras such as sweet potato mash (which I would have sworn was more like a corn bread mash). My date got the mallard duck and loved it. Both meals were excellent! Good selection of drinks and willingness to make anything not on the menu was a plus. All in all, I'm a big fan of this place! Will absolutely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date nightFoodie15VIPDined on 2/14/2014My fiancé and I went for valentines day. We had an awesome server very friendly and kept conversation with us. We had asked to be sit near the fireplace and they sat us near it. The food selection is great and dessert if you have the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect choice for a great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We we're delighted! We've been to the Fireplace before for quiet dinners and our own special occasions, but what the staff did to transform the place for Valentine's Day was an unexpected surprise. Everyone greeted us very warmly, the entire restaurant was decorated in lights and balloons, and the seating swapped out for mostly tables of two. All of which made it feel special. The surprises continued, it was clear the chefs put some thought into a very special menu for the Valentine's experience and it did not disappoint.... A flight of Cavas and a mouthwatering rib eye for two with perfect side dishes, yummy and sensual. So good I had to stop and thank the chefs on our way out!! The Fireplace is a perfect choice for every occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and poor quality.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Over priced and poor quality. So many better places in the area. I wouldn't waste my time again.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerAshokaDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentines dinner. They had the restaurant decked out with pink and red, it was so nice. We've been several times to the Fireplace. Food is usually great. I had short ribs and the meet was so tender and flavorful! It came with a delicious side of portage, which I'd never had before. The service was weird. I was given someone else's side soup. Luckily I knew I wasn't supposed to get it but? When my wife's dish came, the presentation was awful. She got the same dish we'd seen on other tables, but hers had fallen apart and I don't know if it was the waiters fault or the kitchen. But, they were packed, and it was delicious, so, forgiven. But then, we were given the wrong check. The table next to us. Good thing we really looked at it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.