1634 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireplacerest.com/
- Phone: (617) 975-1900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Mid-Day menu: Daily: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Solomon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fans of our rustic yet upscale fare at The Fireplace can also enjoy our locally sourced food at private events. Show off your home. Or pick the perfect place for a business outing, wedding or charity gala. We"ve got connections with some pretty magical New England venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The upscale but homey ambiance of The Fireplace makes for unforgettable gatherings. Parties as small as fourteen and as large as ninety fit perfectly into our cozy but comfortable confines.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Stuehmer 6179751900
- Entertainment: We love good music almost as much as we love good food. Join us at The Fireplace for some cool jazz and hot Latin music on the first Wednesdays and Thursdays of each month at The Fireplace. Shows start at 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Your credit card on file will be charge $25 per person if a cancellation is not made within 48 hours.
A word from The Fireplace
The Fireplace located in Brookline Massachusetts is a cosmopolitan New England Grill serving food with integrity while celebrating the bounty of the region and its Colonial influences. In addition to being the 1st Certified Green Restaurant in Boston, the restaurant has won numerous awards and mentions including Outstanding Wine List (Wine Spectator 2013), Chocolate Madness WinnerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fireplace reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (91)special occasion (50)romantic (44)great for brunch (39)good for groups (30)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Excellent dining in the suburbsAmeliaDined on 6/2/2014The Fireplace is great for groups, with a low noise level that makes conversation--even multiple conversations--easy, and a good, diverse selection of dishes, including "small plates" that are actually on the large side and delicious. I had an arugula salad and 2 small plates, the duck breast and duck confit wrap and the artichoke/gruyere tart, and I couldn't finish them. Others enjoyed crab cake, mussels and steak. The reasonably priced zinfandel was excellent, and others drank Guinness and hard cider. Nice jazz played throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty optionDineFindsDined on 5/31/2014Had not been to Fireplace in quite a while, and was happy to see it was as good - maybe even better -- than ever. Lots of great options - we had a hard time deciding what to get. We did a sampling of small bites to share and it worked out great. The short ribs are a must. And the pea & ricotta ravioli was delicious, and surprisingly light. We also did a few sides; great to see fiddleheads on the menu - a true sign of spring, and the hash potatoes were really well seasoned, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside (bet they would be great as part of a brunch option)..Special Features:
- Great Food, Questionable BusinessMakeupGoddess26Dined on 5/31/2014Tried The Fireplace for the first time during Restaurant Week with my boyfriend and we were blown away: interesting diagonal layout when and the food was phenomenal and hearty for the elevated prices. We had a private table near the actual fireplace and came back for brunch after catching a glimpse of the weekend menu. I had the vegetarian hash and stuffed french toast; my boyfriend got the french toast, duck sausage, baked beans and home fries. Food was great but they got our french toasts wrong and replaced my boyfriend's right away; I had to point mine out (came without the cheese stuffed in the middle). Would rate them higher but tried to gouge us on the tip; suggested numbers were WAY more than actual tip percentages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014This was our first visit to the Fireplace. We went on a friend's recommendation. The food was wonderful, the service excellent. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, but...FrogQueenDined on 5/24/2014We were visiting from CT and ate outside with our dog. We love that this restaurant is local food conscious. By the time our food came it was rather chilly out and they brought everything out at once. 6 tappas type dishes for 2 people. Needless to say 4 of the dishes were very cold by the time we got to them, but we loved the taste. Also, our server seemed like she was in a really bad mood. But everyone has bad days so we give it a very good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty DinneraspfoodieDined on 5/24/2014We had several tasty appetizers in lieu of overpriced looking entrees. That worked really well. And the whiskey ice cream for dessert was divine!Special Features:
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014As always, our evening at The Fireplace was terrific. Great food, great service, incredibly accommodating. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- one of our favoritesfoodisgoodDined on 5/23/2014Each time we are back in the Boston area we frequent The Fireplace, the atmosphere and service is always great. They have a good wine list with nice variety. Food is good, prices are reasonable. Always a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!EvieDined on 5/19/2014We have dined here several times over the past 4 years while visiting my son at college. The food is always delicious and inventive. Seafood is very fresh and steaks are succulent. Love the menu! The atmosphere is friendly and dress is anywhere from casual to dressy. While the atmosphere wouldn't be considered "fine dining" the food is. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014I love eating at this restaurant! The food is amazing and unique. There's something for everyone. The location and ambiance is great. It feels cozy and warm. Typically when I come here, the service is really good, but this time the service was just okay. Nothing bad happened, but the server was just not that attentive.Special Features:
- Nice meal on a fun neighborhoodMYC808Dined on 5/17/2014The food was good; we definitely enjoyed our meal. The night we went was obviously a special occasion post graduation night and the place was just packed. So little space between tables to navigate and we were bumping chairs with our neighboring tables. We were seated next to the door leading to the outdoor dining area and the frequent in and out bu staff created a constant door slam and reverberation which was a bit of a distraction. Service was also slow, but given how crazy busy the place was it was entirely understandable. The food came hot and well prepared and we enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and nice greenssusieDined on 5/16/2014The Fireplace menu has lots of offerings. I had a soup and salad, not your typical dinner but it hit the spot, and the asparagus salad was exceptional. The chicken is to die for and even better as a left over, which results from nice, big portions. A tuna special was returned for being a little overcooked, but a new one came in a jiffy. Portions at the Fireplace tend to include some appealing greens and a grain. That's a plus for those who want to bypass a salad and it makes for a beautiful presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerAtdashDined on 5/15/2014I chose to take newbies to Brookline here, and they loved it. Coming from San Francisco they are used to good food and good wine and were happy to find both at Fireplace! I live down the block in Washington square and I love coming here. I have always enjoyed every meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fondofwineDined on 5/13/2014Interesting, tasty, menu. Good service and fine wine list. Watch out for the chees plates. While there is a complete selection of cheeses the actual cheese "slices" are little. The cheese plate is provided with a small portion of tasty fruit literally hiding the fact that the cheese is tiny. We had to complain about this obvious fact which detracted from the experience.Special Features:
- Nice but could've been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Grabbed dinner with the parents. Good food but my burger was undercooked. Ordered medium and it was rare. Service was good but a little slow. Restaurant is small and popular and I think they try and accommodate more people then they can sometimes leading to slowdowns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Disappointmentbrook85VIPDined on 5/11/2014My family(wife, 2 teenagers, and father-in-law and myself) had dinner there this past Mother's Day. The appetizers were good but the entrees and service were disappointing. We left wishing we had grilled at home.
- Great MenufoodiegirlDined on 5/10/2014I love the raviolis here (Pea Raviolis, I think?). My parents visit from NJ and always think of coming to the Fireplace for the great menu. My mother is obsessed with the raviolis, and as a real "foodie," I think she has a very legitimate opinion! The lobster rolls were also awesome, as is the burger, monkfish, and salmon. The prices are certainly on the higher end, but every time we visit the Fireplace, we are not disappointed.Special Features:
- So goodlorbiDined on 5/10/2014The Fireplace is great- consistently delicious food, excellent service, lovely ambience. Great restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would come here againBirthdaydinnerDined on 5/10/2014The Fireplace lived up to its expectation - wonderful food, creative and tasty. The best part about this restaurant was its ambiance. Perfect for couples who want to talk and hear each other, but it also has a wonderful energy that doesn't make you feel frantic and stressed. The service is mostly terrific, a few mishaps that were taken care of - and our waiter was upbeat and very friendly. My only complaint is that upon being served steak, I did end waiting a bit for a steak knife until I ended up asking a second person. But honestly, the food and ambiance and service puts you at ease I will come here many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & thoughtful staffSusanDined on 5/9/2014This was truly one of the best meals I've had in Boston. The cheese plate was heavenly; the sauteed fiddleheads were so flavorful; the salad transcended the ingredients. They also have a lovely selection of shmancy mocktails which makes the non-drinkers of us still have a fun time with drinks. Two members of our party were gluten-free and they have their own gluten-free menu. They also brought out gluten-free rolls and gluten-free crackers with the cheese plate without us having to request it! When a dish was missing an ingredient I was looking forward to, they brought a whole additional serving of it! Absolutely recommend and although it is pricier than what I can usually afford, will make it my special occasion place.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureStartMakingSenseVIPDined on 5/8/2014We've been going to the Fireplace since it opened -- mostly for lunch, as dinner was a bit dear for a family of five. But with the empty nest, or for dinner with just one of the kids, we're finding that evenings at the Fireplace are fun, with the good food we've come to expect. The addition of small plates also is welcome. I had softshell crab small plate on my recent visit - a treat I enjoy on occasion, but without feeling the need to make a full dinner of them.Special Features:
- Amazing food-Extraordinary ServiceKaseyDined on 5/7/2014I had wanted to dine here for some time. Thank goodness that a friend urged me to select a place to meet. Not only was the food amazing, the care and attention to service was extraordinary. It was a dining experience that will continue to be among my best "buy local" for years to come! The perfect place for endless conversation while being immersed in uniquely seasoned local fare with your best bud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great End to our Boston Visitrjr19930Dined on 5/5/2014We selected The Fireplace for dinner to celebrate our last night in Boston. The food was excellent. We started with wine and a cheese platter and then shared a variety of appetizers. The service great and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Great little restaurantKarengDined on 5/4/2014We always enjoy dining at The Fireplace - the food, service, and atmosphere are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chloebuttsVIPDined on 5/4/2014I have not had this mediocre of a brunch in ages and I have to say the worst meal I have had at The Fireplace (lets hope this was an exception). The home fries were hard cubes, about 50% of them were edible. The two eggs looked like one and the toast was cold and rock hard. I did enjoy the potato bread that was served before the meal however. For the price it was more of a diner breakfast than one from one of the highest regarded restaurant in Brookline.
- What a disappontment!goster48Dined on 5/2/2014Went to Fireplace last nite with 9 people for a birthday celebration (we've been there many times before, and have enjoyed it). Our dinner last evening probably will be our last. Our reservation was at 7:30, and our salads did not arrive until 9:00 pm. We ordered two bottles of wine (a red and a white) and were told after we finished each that those were the last of bottles of both wines ("they had been busy" the waiter said). They should have told us this before we ordered our first bottles of these wines. The waiter was young and inattentive (eg, he did not ask if we wanted coffee with our dessert). The food was passable, but by the time it came out, it was hard to enjoy our meal any longer. Fireplace--you've got some problems to fix.
- Good dinner outLumiereFanDined on 5/2/2014As first timers, we thought Fireplace had a nice neighborhood feel; casual, relaxed ambiance with energy increasing as the evening progressed. Service was very friendly and attentive (water glasses filled when empty, not annoyingly when still 3/4th full). Bread is baked on site and out of this world - a nice way to start. Food was very good and creative with strong basics followed. I put Fireplace in the “Sure thing" category; reliable, unpretentious and warm service. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sparkling gem in Washington SquarehappydinerVIPDined on 4/29/2014Among all the new restaurants in Washington Square, the Fireplace dazzles as the most beloved. Jim Solomon, host and chef, searches for new twists, new ways to reinvent the food. His large, homey fireplace lessened the relentless cold weather of the winter of 2014. Always the consummate host, he has brought an Israeli pastry chef, months before the New York Times yesterday talked about the new food of the middle East. Amazing new desserts. Best salads in Boston, especially his Caesar with white anchovies. And no need to go farther for fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantWinniethePooDined on 4/27/2014Cannot rave enough about this restaurant. Food and service is great. Loved the fact that they have a gluten free menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gem!FroggyVIPDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant was very busy but we had made a reservation so big plus there! Service, food and wine were simply excellent! We really enjoyed dining there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday April 25th, 2014golferDined on 4/26/2014was seated promptly according to our reservation: food was very good: service was outstanding. The monkfish was sweet and flavorful. Teh scallop dish wax to die for but only 5 scallops. The chicken dish (signature) was good but not as good as hammersly's or Tosca's. WOuld have like a window table as our table as by the kitchen and the wait staff always had to go by our tale to serve the rest of the guests. I would go back but not for awhile. this was our first visit as we like to try different restaurants.Special Features:
- A Brookline Favorite!!NJoyDined on 4/26/2014Love this place-- a quality restaurant! The menu is always a treat. We have never been disappointed! Thank you!!!Special Features:
- The worst dining experienceecksterDined on 4/25/2014I was looking forward to this restaurant after a recommendation from a friend but we had horrendous service, average food, it was crowded and loud... And the Fireplace wasn't even working!!!! Our table was next to the bar and the two bartenders were our "waiters" except we only saw the two of them when we ordered and for our check in a total of 1 1/2 hours. It was terrible and especially when the table next to us had an attentive waitress. So bottom line, don't go there if it's busy and request to be sat away from the bar.
- Fantastic RestaurantWinniethePooDined on 4/24/2014I cannot rave enough about The Fireplace Restaurant. Their food is outstanding, the service is excellent and everyone is so very friendly. Even Chef Jim came around and spoke to everyone personally. We have a garlic and gluten sensitivity and Chef Jim came over to make sure everything was up to our satisfaction. We have been to this restaurant many times and they have never disappointed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this ResturantBostonstrongVIPDined on 4/19/2014We Haber been enjoying this place since the day it opened. Great menu, local sourcing of products. Creative. Never have a bad meal. It rivals any other Resturant in boston. In fact it exceeds them. Comfort food, creative interpretation of classics, vegan and gluten free options. Can't say enoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyMinnieDined on 4/14/2014Our server was awesome (very patient given that we were 3 very undecisive diners) and the food was great. Went on a Monday night and it was nice and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant - but nosiest tableBettinhaDined on 4/13/2014Seated immediately - most all of our food was very good - but both the egg white omelette and the bloody marys were bland - soup of the day, red flannel hash, greens with salmon and chicken blt were quite good - wines very nice too - the razz-ma-tazz was fabulous!! - busy place - however was disappointed when escorted to the noisiest (but last available table) table in the restaurant! right next to the Kitchen counter -lots of noise and plates being banged around. I guess I thought that having thought to make a reservation there might have been some thought about the table location. Would go again but make an overt request for a table not next to the kitchen.Special Features:
- Brunch in BrooklineFoodieFamilyFiveVIPDined on 4/13/2014We had a fantastic time at The Fireplace. We came in specifically to spend time with family and decided to go for brunch. We couldn't have picked a better place. The food, service and atmosphere were all great. We would definitely go back when we are in Boston again. Double thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodStephenDined on 4/12/2014We had an excellent meal. I was not crazy about being seated in the bar area despite having made the reservation several weeks ago. That space was cramped and noisy; not something that one would expect at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableMerdfgaDined on 4/11/2014I've gone consistently to this place for years, and the food does not disappoint. But the service. Yikes. I made the reservation almost a week in advance and three of us were crammed into a table suited for two. Right by the front door. Thanks, open table! To suggest that the waiter was disinterested gives him way more credit than he deserves. Awful. But the food. Yum.Special Features: