1634 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02445Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireplacerest.com/
- Phone: (617) 975-1900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Mid-Day menu: Daily: 2:30pm - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Solomon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fans of our rustic yet upscale fare at The Fireplace can also enjoy our locally sourced food at private events. Show off your home. Or pick the perfect place for a business outing, wedding or charity gala. We"ve got connections with some pretty magical New England venues.
- Private Party Facilities: The upscale but homey ambiance of The Fireplace makes for unforgettable gatherings. Parties as small as fourteen and as large as ninety fit perfectly into our cozy but comfortable confines.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Stuehmer 6179751900
- Entertainment: We love good music almost as much as we love good food. Join us at The Fireplace for some cool jazz and hot Latin music on the first Wednesdays and Thursdays of each month at The Fireplace. Shows start at 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Your credit card on file will be charge $25 per person if a cancellation is not made within 48 hours.
A word from The Fireplace
The Fireplace located in Brookline Massachusetts is a cosmopolitan New England Grill serving food with integrity while celebrating the bounty of the region and its Colonial influences. In addition to being the 1st Certified Green Restaurant in Boston, the restaurant has won numerous awards and mentions including Outstanding Wine List (Wine Spectator 2013), Chocolate Madness WinnerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fireplace reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)fit for foodies (91)special occasion (50)romantic (44)great for brunch (40)good for groups (32)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Ideal SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Twelve of us met for lunch at the Fireplace this Thursday past. Members of the 58th Recruit Training Troop, we graduated as Troopers from the Mass. State Police Academy in October of 1974 and have stayed close through meetings such as Thursday's. Of the various venues we've enjoyed, the Fireplace ranks at the top of the list for the quality and preparation of its food. Mushroom soup, roasted vegetable pizza, fresh crisp salads and award winning burgers, each was outstanding and generously portioned. The service was superb, led by Holly our waitress, patient and perfectly paced to deliver our ordered lunches simultaneously, despite a vibrant noon time business. In fact for a group lunch I would suggest reserving a table one or two days ahead. Compliments to Chef Solomon for excellent food and a well managed business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming, especially for vegetariansNR101Dined on 11/17/2014Despite making a reservation, we were seated in the middle of the floor next to the exit door, which meant we were chilled by a constant draft every few minutes when someone opened the door. There were booths available throughout the dinner, but they didn't let us sit there for some reason. We were kind of cramped and I constantly thought someone was going to bump into the table and knock over my date's wine glass. Food was disappointing to be honest. We were both vegetarian, and of the 2 entrees they had, they'd run out of the pasta dish. Our bisque wasn't hot, our side dish of broccoli came out after we'd finished eating everything else, and the ravioli was tasty if dry, with a pretty small portion. Service was okay - but I won't be back.
- Nice atmosphere, good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Our party of four was seated immediately for our early Sunday dinner reservation. We were close enough to the roaring fire to enjoy it, but not so close that it was too warm at our table. The salads, bread, and entrees (especially the chicken) were very good. We split the peanut butter, cookie, ice cream dessert (I can't remember what it was called). It had a pretty strong ginger taste that we didn't expect and we felt that it overpowered the other flavors, so I wouldn't order that again. Right after we ordered the restaurant got busy all at once, and the service got pretty slow. We waited a while for our food, and then waited for a a long time after we were finished. They seemed a bit short-staffed. All-in-all it was a good experience and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrowdedNewcomerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Although we enjoyed the food and our waiter was very nice, it was just too crowded for us. We were a party of 5 and because the place is so small, we were squished into a corner. Also, it was so loud that it was hard to carry on a conversation. This is great for a Brookline young group, but for a Birthday celebration with family, it was not the place.Special Features:
- Not as good as I'd heard and hoped.baconDined on 11/15/2014We made reservations for 4 adults at 6:30pm on a Saturday. I called to ask for a table near the fireplace and was told, understandably, that those are reserved for 2-tops...but that our table was upstairs near the window and also a great location. When we arrived, though, we were seated at a table upstairs along the serving line. That was frustrating and really affected our dining experience, as my brother (who absolutely LOVES this place and wanted us to experience and enjoy it) was repeatedly bumped by the servers who had a narrow space to squeeze by each other behind our table. We had no way to request a table change without disturbing other diners, but those tables need to be moved further from the serving line and the servers need to take special care because that is a really annoying feature when you are trying to enjoy your meal and drink wine that spills on you each time you are bumped. As far as the service, it was OK but the server did not know the wine list well and brought the wrong bottle, spilled it when he poured it, etc...but OK. The food was varied -- oyster apps were good, but meat/cheese charcuterie plate was not presented well at all -- everything was mixed on a regular dinner plate, and there was no knife for the hard cheese. I had a delicious bisque and good duck/arugula salad, but my husband's prime rib (requested rare) was overdone (served medium, not even medium rare) which is a shame along such good veggie side dishes. Finally, we all wanted cappuccino for dessert, and the machine was broken. So...all in all, we were looking forward to a special and relaxing meal with my brother and wife who have raved about the place, and they ended up feeling irritated and embarrassed that we spent a rather expensive night out on an experience that was not memorable in a good way.Special Features:
- non-alcoholic cocktailOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2014I ordered the George Washington--homemade ginger beer cocktail. It was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The food was excellent, the service was better than average but the dishes were a little bit on the expensive side for the amount you got considering you share every dish you get.Special Features:
- Great place.WinniethePooDined on 11/2/2014Best lobster Mac and cheese which is also available gluten free. We are never disappointed in anything we order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, cozy atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was excellent - very fresh, creative, and well presented. The atmosphere was not stuffy or too formal; it was cozy and inviting.Special Features:
- Great brunchDrariDined on 11/1/2014Great gingerbread waffle and vegetarian hash. My wife had the burger which was supposed to be great and she was underwhelmed. Service was a little slow as they were short staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/29/2014We have not been to the Fireplace for a long time, since moving to Back Bay Boston, but met friends for dinner and we were very pleased about the service and food. We all had a combination of tacos, squash bisque, salads, and hamburgers. Simple selections, but we thought that everything was prepared just right and the food tasted great.
- Always GoodLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/29/2014The Fireplace is one of those restaurants where I know whatever I order will be delicious. The service, staff and food have always been above the norm and I have never been disappointedSpecial Features:
- Nice menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2014A nice selection of seasonal foods and a very nice selection of non-alcoholic drinks. That was an unexpected delight. The atmosphere is refined without being stuffy.Special Features:
- birthdineDined on 10/25/2014Found the service and the food to be exceptional, yet low key and relaxed. The waiter was attentive, yet in the background. The dining experience was intimate, warm and enjoyable. There was no pressure to order the extras; we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Best Brunch AroundBrooklinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Crab cake benedict and gingerbread cornmeal waffles were outstanding! Best brunch I've had in years -- maybe ever.Special Features:
- ConflictedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014While the taste of the food was outstanding, the delivery was miserable. A side and 2 main dishes came out, separately. And then it took 10 minutes to get the other 2 dinners. Management made good on our bill, but still wondering why and how often this happens.Special Features:
- Request Table by the Fireplace!shmaiDined on 10/22/2014great neighborhood gem. We shared the cheese plate which had salami to die for. Entrees are reasonably priced. We both ordered the salmon. Shared the seasonal bread pudding which, if you are fan of, was delicious. We wanted cocktails that were not on the menu and the bartender was more than happy to obliged.Special Features:
- Great date night!PracticalPalateDined on 10/16/2014Ok, so for a first date and a first time at this location, I took a bit of a risk...but I really didn't. The food was wonderful, our server (Peter) listened and recommended items wisely. Our opening cocktails were wonderfully made and we settled on a well balanced, drier Zinfandel (Sanctuary) for dinner. We split a pear salad, an autumn-spirited appetizer and an entree dish, with cocktails it ran us just over a C note and it was worth every penny. Thanks Fireplace! And yes, a second date happened afterwards. :-)Special Features:
- Wonderful food, charming ambianceCMF914Dined on 10/11/2014Favorite for our family, we go again and again. The butternut squash soup is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations. Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Wanted to try this restaurant for awhile after all the positive reviews. Our experience: house Cocktails were undrinkable served by a slow and unfriendly bartender. Bad start. Food was good. Table service was really slow. I had to ask where our entrees were and had to hunt down our server for dessert/check. dinner for 4 took a little over 3 hours. Overall I was shocked by the poor service. The greeter was VERY friendly and responsive. Everyone else I interacted with seemed to have a poor attitude. Like they were going through the motions and not even trying to be hospitable. For that reason, we will not be returning.
- A nice surprise10YearsPluswithOTVIPDined on 10/10/2014In looking for dining options between Jamaica Plain and Waltham--this was a gamble that paid off. The food was very good, the service impeccable, and the noise level--even with a couple of young families dining nearby--was low enough for easy conversation. My only "complaint" is the totally West Coast wine list. However, I was offered a "flight" of 3 wines for me to choose from and they have a delicious dry rose, so overall a success! The light Pinot Noir was also tasty.Special Features:
- Always a good mealWashingtonSquareLocalDined on 10/7/2014We came here for an early dinner with our two little kids (3 & 5). The wait staff was great and very thoughtful. The food was good too, but as a local I come here a bit and it always is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for brunchmisspigDined on 10/5/2014The food here is very good and the place is very popular on weekends. Waffles are exceptional. One person in our party ordered an omelette which was extremely salty and the restaurant made her a fresh one.Special Features:
- A reliable local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We have dined here many times and have enjoyed each visit. It's not for special occasions but pleasant none the less. The food is consistently good quality. The service is very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and fantastic environmentlexalovesgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014The fireplace has all the amazing food you would expect at a super classy upscale restaraunt, with a welcoming warm personality. The food was delicious and the service was great! All around it was a fabulous experience and I can't wait to go back next time I visit Boston! They were very accomadating - I had called explaining that we would be late for our reservation and they had no problem and sat us almost immediately when we arrived. Although I think they could use a hostess stand or a greeter at the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing delicious and high qualityGirlsNightDined on 10/2/2014Over all an amazing experience .. I love that all the ingredients they work with and service are local farms. Delicious food and reasonable prices. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Evening4forfoodingDined on 9/27/2014Good food and service. All of of our party enjoyed their food, and wine recommendations were right on.Special Features:
- Always Top Notch!DebrisVIPDined on 9/27/2014We are so happy the Fireplace is staying open! Thank You! The Saturday brunch was perfect. Challah French toast with fruit is special.House special cocktails are great! Terrific server too! Xoxoxoxo! Xoxoxoxo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014We were seated 40 minutes after our reservation. During that wait in a crowded space, we could not even order drinks at the bar. The bartender was rude "I've seen you there for 20 minutes, I will get to you when I can." Which he never did. The food was very good and the service was fine once seated. They were not equipped to handle the volume.
- Downhill slidefoodfan1Dined on 9/25/2014We have loved this spot and took friends for the first time. Were surprised at how quality had slipped. Peaches in salad old and tasteless, service almost neglectful as we waited for wine...maybe now that they've committed to staying open, they need to inject new energy and confidence into their presentation/menu, etc.Special Features:
- Consistently WonderfulLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant has been consistently good since it opened. Great ambiance, great food, an expansive menu with something for everyone, it remains one of my favorites. Also, the owner is generous and charitable, often donating time and staff to non-profits.Special Features:
- HumphreyDined on 9/21/2014THE BRUNCH MENU WAS OK BUT NOT THAT GOOD FOR VEGANSSpecial Features:
- Cheese platecheeseDined on 9/19/2014We ordered a cheese plate as one of two appetizers but w/no cheese, just the sausage. Very good, though very skimpy on the sausage (4 thin slices) and heavy on the condiments. For dessert, we ordered a cheese plate with just one cheese-- again, a VERY small piece of cheese and again piles of the same condiments. Not fair.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemhappy2bhereDined on 9/14/2014We were a party of 6 stayed the night in Brookline and was looking for a great Brunch place within walking distance to our B&B, we hit the jackpot with The Fireplace! Reservations necessary, which I made on Open Table the night before. The service and food were fantastic. Wonderful find! Would definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLDRBVIPDined on 9/13/2014Everyone kept telling us we had to try the Fireplace. So we did and We were very disappointed. It was impossible to talk to each other because it was so loud, I questioned the cleanliness because my cutlery AND bread dish were dirty, the waiter was slow and not very personable - felt like he just wanted us to eat and go- could have cared less about us. The wine list is limited to wines just from CA (at least have a few good ones if you're going to do that!,) The food however was outstanding! If they focus on customer service and promise to wash their dishes- we may go back....but not for quite a while.Special Features:
- less impressed than previous visitsLauraDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary. I noted this in my Open Table reservation and asked for the best table possible but I don't think this was acknowledged as we were seated near the entrance in a high traffic area. We have been here many times and wanted to go one last time before it closes. The appetizers and entrees we ordered were delicious (cheese plate, figs, signature roasted chicken and sea scallops). Cocktails were very good as well, but I had left my ID in the car, and the waiter required that my husband go out in the rain to go get it. I know there are rules but there should have also been a balance with customer service. My dessert (blondie sundae) was dry and disappointing, but my husband's chocolate fudge cake was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fun outingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I showed up at the exact time of our reservation. The hostess showed us to a table three steps from the door and in the traffic for everyone entering and exiting the restaurant. When we asked for a different table, we were told that we should have requested a specific table went we reserved. We were told nothing else was available, so we left. As we left, we could see that there were indeed a couple of tables free by the windows. We will not return.
- great and reliable mealsJakeDined on 9/12/2014Another fine meal at The Fireplace. A little longer wait than I had expected, even with reservations. But that ,may be because the space is so comfortable, the diners don't want to rush out. The service is attentive and not pushy or intrusive. The music got turned up really too loud but after requesting a change, it was reduced. Also, there are a few tables that are in the middle of high traffic areas -- so wait for an appropriate table and ask for music that is suitable for your meal. I'd recommend this place & will be back again.Special Features:
- Let's EatMediumRareDined on 9/10/2014Good food, interesting menu, nice atmosphere, good for conversation (hard to find quiet places now-a-days) and good service. Will add to my favorites (although, it may be too late...isn't this place closing?). The reason I gave only 3 stars on service was because they forgot my special request (made the day before) for a birthday candle...while they tried to make it up with another dessert (free and with a candle), it was too little, too late.Special Features:
- Excellent for relaxed business mealRMorseDined on 9/7/2014Excellent evening with a alumni guest from California and the school dean and his wife. I picked the restaurant because it was relaxed, not too big, had quiet tables and excellent food. All four of us loved our dishes. The dean's wife (from Brookline) remarked that the cuisine was so much better than she had experienced some time ago. She'll be back. UNFORTUNATELY, the restaurant is closing on December 31, 2014 and we will miss it. I am pushing people to do there before it closes and is replaced with Pepe's Pizza...very sad. RMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.