The Federal Restaurant & Bar
135 Cooper St
Agawam, MA 01001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Federal Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thefederalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4137891267
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Presnal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: When the Federal caters, our reputation travels with us, whether to a dinner for fifteen or a wedding party of 300. The Federal brings the same exacting standard to every detail of your event, be it a graduation party, wedding, or business luncheon. Total event planning is also available – to your specifications, of course.
- Private Party Facilities: The elegant and relaxed atmosphere of the Federal Restaurant can be reserved for weddings, special events, corporate functions, private parties and private luncheons. The restaurant offers different sized rooms for private gatherings. The largest room accommodates seventy guests and the smallest accommodates up to fifteen. no additional fee is attached to table service or menu in these rooms. The staff of the Federal will make every effort to procure your desired audio or visual equipment for business presentations if requested at least two days in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Cristina Presnal 4137891267
- Entertainment: Live Music in the bar every Friday & Saturday night
A word from The Federal Restaurant & Bar
Built by Samuel Converse in 1862, the impressive Greek revival structure at 135 Cooper Street in Agawam, Massachusetts became home to the Federal Hill Club in 1936. under the management of its owners the Moretti family, that establishment remained a premiere restaurant for over fifty years. The Federal's current owners Michael Presnal and Ralph Santaniello easily integrate the white linen elegance of that bygone era with a fresh and innovative "new american" cuisine that is perfectly prepared and impeccably served. strong Italian and French influences inspire the contemporary culinary style of Chef Presnal in dishes such as his red beet risotto, burnt tangerine glazed cod, and white-chocolate panna cotta. The Federal is dressed up as a special occasion restaurant, but is sociable and affordable enough for every occasion. It enjoys a dedicated following of appreciative diners from New York to Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Federal Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Agawam ›
The Federal Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)fit for foodies (60)romantic (60)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful!TraceyLDined on 9/17/2014Everything was delicious! My husband and I shared the bucket of balls, those were amazing. He also got the fried New England clam chowder and couldn't stop raving about it. We both just got pasta meals, I ordered the Mac and Cheese and my husband got the Chicken Bolognese. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out with friendsPatMDined on 9/12/2014We went to the Federal for a night out with old friends. The food was great and so was the service. We love going to the Federal - especially for special occasions.Special Features:
- exquisitefoodie965Dined on 9/9/2014Great service. Great food. Poor acoustics. When restaurant was full it was very loud making it difficult to have a conversation with people at table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Great dining, every time ... at the top of our list in North Central CT & MA.Special Features:
- Allons-y!!fhqwghadsDined on 9/4/2014A definite gem! All of our dishes were perfect (tuna carpaccio, braised ribs, lamb, and coconut creme carmel), and the service and atmosphere were terrific as well. Great for a date or if you want to eat exquisitely prepared food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place for a special date...markmlDined on 9/4/2014My girlfriend was visiting for a week, and I wanted to take her somewhere special on our last night together. She said she had the most amazing food here that she's ever eaten in her life!!! The couple we were next to was a little noisy, but overall, the vibe was perfect for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food need a new decoratorChippyDined on 8/30/2014We have not eaten here in a long time. We're given a gift card and loved the food !! From the gratis rice balls to the cotton candy! The atmosphere needs improvement. Next time we will sit in the bar. I can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only One FederalKenBDined on 8/30/2014The food was awesome as always and the service, outstanding . Just love going to The Federal it is the very best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was out of this world. My husband and I ordered the Federal Tasting which consisted of 7 courses the chef selected. Each mouth watering course had elegant presentation. The service was professional and respectful. This was our first time at The Federal, we can't wait to experience your lovely restaurant again!Special Features:
- Great PlacePapermanVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is great and the service is just perfect. The tomato's and other veggies from their on property garden is just fantastic. One of the best places to eat in Western Mass.Special Features:
- Good meal at the Federal in AgawamDontWant2CookDined on 8/23/2014Very good, interesting food combinations, and use of less common spices (zahtar, harrisa). Some comfort food, but upscale, like macaroni and cheese with black truffles. We had two different scallop dishes. My scollops were accompanied by a piece of pork belly. They had a very unusual curry, not just the usual blend with turmeric. Not sure what all was in it. Mary had divers scollops with articokes and a black olive butter. Good food and I really like the unusual pairings, but only 4 stars because both scallop dishes had too much salt. The decor need something. It's black and plain, with fabric scrims over the ceiling lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Food terrific, everything else needs attention. Waiter pleasant but overworked and wait times for orders much too long. Drinks order should be taken immediately, then served. Bar misunderstood Gibson for Gimlet, took ten minutes to correct. AC too cold. Noise level made table conversation impossible.Special Features:
- MurphyDined on 8/21/2014The food was incredible like a party in your mouth. .The service was great, felt like we were the only diners. I'd definitely go back there and share with my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Very nice experience to celebrate our 43rd. From the beautiful table setting with crisp white linen cloth with contrasting black napkins that followed the overall black/white décor theme to the white votive candles lit for ambiance, this surely is one of the great romantic dining venues. Sara was an excellent waitress with her friendly, accommodating, and professional demeanor. The food was spectacular from the description by Sara and the menu to the delightful flavors and presentation. Impressed with having garden fresh tomatoes and herbs grown right outside. Our main courses filled us too full for dessert much to our dismay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itdupuis120Dined on 8/20/2014If this place had a nickname it would be "Steady Eddy" .. always great service and always great food.Special Features:
- The FederalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014As always, the service was friendly and knowledgeable. The food was very rich and filling. The complimentary risotto balls are great.Special Features:
- The FederalfabfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Food and atmosphere were outstanding.as well as the cocktails Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VincoLovesEdgeMetalDined on 8/16/2014Lobster appetizer and figs were geat suggestion Service was excellent Cotton Candy a nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated an 85th Birthday!KWGoffDined on 8/15/2014The night was perfect, great good, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love 'The Federal'.bobbyjimDined on 8/15/2014Still the Best Restaurant in WMass. From the wine list (which has very good 1/2 bottles), delicious mussels, fish and filet that are perfectly balance with herbs and veges, to smooth coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversay dinner for 4Anniversary52Dined on 8/12/2014We took our L I, NY friends here to celebrate their anniversary and ALL of us agreed that the ambiance/service/wonderful food/chef prep/ was exceptional. Often we've commented that it isn't often that you go out and comment thusly about a dinner out. It was an excellent evening we all supremely enjoyed. A memorable experience, enjoyed by all and definitely a performance to be repeated.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceOldFilthDined on 8/9/2014Historic building, enticing menu, attentive service, and delicious food- the whole experience was enjoyable. Chef has a penchant for more components makes a better dish, and it works. Chocolate clafoutis is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014I ordered a Filet Mignon special and it is the best steak that I have had outside of some of the finer proprietary steakhouses in Chicago. The Federal is the best restaurant in area...hands down!Special Features:
- DiamondsR4EverDined on 8/8/2014The Federal never disappoints us. The food is superb, and that is a must for any refined restaurant. What I find differentiates The Federal is that the wait staff/bartenders/chefs will go the extra mile to deliver any requests I have -- all while being just plain nice -- a real treat when going out to relax and have a change of pace.Special Features:
- Yummy!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014I've always loved the risotto balls, they are amazing!! I had the seared scallops which were cooked perfectly!! I had the polenta for the first time and it was fantastic!!! My only complaint would be I wish there was 10 times as much on the plate!!! It was soooo good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSuz34Dined on 8/1/2014Amazing food, fantastic service, delightful cocktails. Can't get any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but priceyAnniversary8182Dined on 8/1/2014When making the reservation on line, I requested a table by a window. We were taken to the very back table in the black room, where one of us would have been facing a black wall all evening. Then we were taken to the smaller white room, still in the corner, facing a wall, but at least near a window. We adjusted our seating so we could face into the dining room. My wife ordered the Lobster tails, (3 very small 1/2 tails), for the price of $36!!! She said they were just "OK". I ordered the scallops which were large and very good. Side dishes of baby wedge salad, rissoto balls, aspargus and polenta were excellent. A glass of champagne was tasteless and sent back. Dessert of Nuetella crepes, excellent. Service and ambiance, excellent.Special Features:
- Incredible AGAIN!!!!FoodfAnDined on 7/25/2014Top notch service! Best food in western MA by far!!! Save room for dessert---a must!!! Will be back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014It was a delightful experience! Good drinks, excellent service, very good ambiance. Appetizers were very good, especially the proscuitto and melon shooter! The rack of lamb, so so. Filet mignon special was superb! Would like to visit again and not order lamb.Special Features:
- FederalBLouHowDined on 7/22/2014Our visit to the Federal was fantastic! We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014great dining experience although the menu is very limited if you don't eat pork or shellfishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Teacher26Dined on 7/18/2014It was my husband and I's second time here! We went for our anniversary dinners! The food is to die for! The wait staff is wonderful! We enjoy the nice atmosphere. Also, the compliments of the chef are a great treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedloveagoodsteaklDined on 7/11/2014I went here on the recommendation of someone, they had a good experience. The service was top notch, pricey menu but I knew this upfront having viewed the menu online. I ordered the filet Mignon, I ordered it medium. It was 39.00 so I figured it would be pretty good. It came med well, ok I could deal with that, sometimes it can be a tough call on the chefs part, what I couldn't get past was the meat itself. It reminded me of a pot roast not a filet!! It had that stringy texture that a bottom round has. It was not shoe leather by any means but did not fit my idea of a mignon.
- Every course a culinary delight.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014The blending of flavors and textures are masterfully accomplished by these artful chefs. I have entertained people from across the country who have eaten around the world. Last night my guest told me he believed this was one of the top 5 dining experiences he has ever had.Special Features:
- Great place!JeffTDined on 6/23/2014We went for our anniversary. This was our second time and it did not disappoint. We really enjoyed the food and they accommodated my wife's dietary needs with no issues including helping choose some good foods that would fit. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Service was great but food was nothing special for the prices they charge. I don't see why the bucket of balls was so raved about either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the area.MarkDDined on 6/16/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food was delicious and well presented. Short Ribs particularly good. Complimentary taste of their special risotto balls. Server was knowledgeable and attentive. Dining room separate from bar so it was quiet. Classy feel at fair prices. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our overall experience was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was prepared and presented very well. The atmosphere was just right and the wait staff were very nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened?Luv2dineDined on 6/14/2014We have been going to The Federal for special occasions( son's high school graduation party, my 50th party) for many years and have always adored the food, service and atmosphere. This time our evening was remarkably different. Our waiter was unattentive and appeared to be upset when we did not order a second round of drinks. We waited quite a while for dinner to arrive and when it did come it was lukewarm. My salmon had no taste except for the heavy olive oil that was all over the plate. Very, very un characteristic for the Federal. Is there a new chef there? New management? With the prices that the Federal has they must make sure that the quality of their food is exceptional and service top notch...or customers will go elsewhereSpecial Features:
- GinnyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Very pleasant staff. The food was awesome! Great variety and well seasoned. It was our first visit and I would go back. It was expensive but the complimentary appetizer 2 rissoto balls and a dish of cotton candy for dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.