The Federal Grill
510 Shepherd Dr
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Federal Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefederalgrill.com/
- Phone: (713) 863-7777
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 2:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Federal Grill
Dress Up or Dress Down. A Bourbon or a Beer. A Ribeye or a Burger. Throw in a little Sinatra, and you will begin to have a taste of the FEDERAL Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Federal Grill - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
The Federal Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (57)great for brunch (55)special occasion (46)good for groups (40)great for lunch (38)vibrant bar scene (37)notable wine list (31)romantic (27)hot spot (23)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food but...CarberaDined on 11/15/2014...the service lacks in attention and comes across as patronizing. Front door is far from valet....raining when left and had to walk in rain to give ticket to valet; yet another knock on service. The dining room is energetic and lacks warmth - so not a place for romance. But it is a good place to grab a delicious dinner...but keep in mind that service lacks. Prices are high for the overall experience; should be about 25% lower...but since the dining room is somewhat small (compared to other major steakhouses) it is likely they can support the pricing because of limited seating when busy. I'll go back but not frequently...too many dining options in the area with far better pricing and competitive gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem!TeeGeeVIPDined on 11/15/2014After a very nice lunch, we returned on the weekend and were truly captivated by this place! We will return again and again. The food was exceptional, the Flowers Pinot was at the perfect temp, and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small scallopsbdugVIPDined on 11/13/2014The food has changed a lot since FG first opened. Some for the good, and some for the not so good. If you stick with the simple things: burgers, chicken fried steak, etc. you'll be ok. A member in our party ordered the scallops with a side of truffle mac & cheese for $34. There are 4 small scallops and a little serving of the mac in the middle. You certainly cannot justify that price. I ordered the tuna tartar and determined that tuna should not be served in a mustard sauce. The mustard overwhelmed the tuna. Good selection of whiskey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and serviceEatoutalotDined on 11/13/2014I loved the atmosphere and service at Federal Grill. We had the fine dining experience without the fine dining "stuffiness!" The food, however, was a bit disappointing. Generally the food lacked flavor, neither my tuna tartar or my crab cake were very flavorful. The evening because of the atmosphere, was great so I'd return to try new menu items and give them another chance .Special Features:
- Above and Beyond on ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Originally our party of 5 was sat near the private dining area that was being used by a party of 40+ so the noise was pretty loud ... we mentioned moving tables or closing the doors to the party room to our waiter and he was more than willing to accommodate to whatever our preference was.... once the doors were closed the noise in the main dining room lowered immensely. The overall atmosphere of the restaurant is very warm and inviting. Menu has a wide array of selection to satisfy any graving! Our meals were fantastic, nice size portions very filling. We were continually checked on by both our waiter and the owner's wife; who both went above and beyond to make sure our dining experience was very nice. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUNDAY BRUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2014This was my second time here.The first time I cam with another couple and the service and food was outstanding.I bragged about it for days and I planned another brunch on 11.09.14 with more friends about (10) for see what the hype was about.Upon ordering the bottomless mimosa's we ordered food and when the food came out it seemed like no one knew who ordered what. Plates had to be exchanged and rearranged.For instance I ordered the poached egg braised pork rib but i wanted the eggs hard.upon everyone getting there food my food was there considerably late compared to everyone else.People did not want to eat until I got mine.My dish was given to someone else and when we got a togo bag we were given a white walgreens bag.embarrasingSpecial Features:
- WonderfulRoosterDined on 11/8/2014Everything about The Federal was wonderful! We will be back and have already told many of our friends that they need to go there soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisVIPDined on 11/7/2014The gulf oysters were low quality and shucked poorly. Unacceptable. The patty melt was just okay. The waitress called our attention to a not great wine list.Special Features:
- Great last minute findRELspotDined on 11/7/2014We tried to go elsewhere first, but it was a two hour wait for a party of 6. Called federal and they were able to fit us right in on a Saturday night. They were pretty busy but very quick and detailed service. Extensive wine and whiskey menu. Lots of burgers on the diner menu and a few entrees, but everything was delicious and reasonably priced. Seemed like a fun place for couples, groups or check out the car if you're solo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!onthebeachDined on 11/7/2014We had an excellent meal. Hubby had the caprese sandwich and I had the angry stuffed shrimp. Daniel was our server and he was prompt, proffessonal, and well-versed on the menu. He is still talking about how much he liked it, which is unusual for him. Too many great things on the menu and specialty drinks that we didn't get to try, we will be back.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 11/5/2014We went there specifically for the crab cakes because a friend said it's the best she's ever had, but she did say it was a couple of years ago. We ordered them and were terribly disappointed. We also ordered the wild salmon, which had no flavor and the veggies didn't taste fresh. The smoked pork chop was extremely salty. Everything was room temp, not hot. The best thing was the sauteed spinach and mash potatoes that came with chops. We also had a spinach salad and beet salad, both tasted like it's been sitting out for a long time and mushy. Was going to say something, but my friends and I were having such a good time catching up that we didn't want to ruin the atmosphere. Our server Tina was very good!
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Date night spot, close to home. We had the crab cake app. VERY GOOD! Not your typical Maryland or East Coast crab cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014My wife, my sister and I met some friends here for brunch on 11/1/14. Atmosphere was great and the food was awesome! I can't forget about the bottomless mimosas that were flowing fully. Will definitely be back to Federal American Grille in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably Yummy BrunchImpressMeDined on 11/1/2014Federal Grill is a great stop on a Saturday for brunch or lunch - -the menu offers something for everyone. Excellent Bloody Mary. Burgers and so many delicious salads. My friend ordered the special - Crab Cake Benedict - fabulous. Attentive Chef-Owner seems omnipresent, and he does not miss a detail. See you again soon!Special Features:
- Lunch on patioTexasLeighDined on 10/30/2014The day was so sparkling, my friend and I sat on the patio. The staff and food were all first rate. This was my second visit.Special Features:
- Overpriced and mediocreskuddDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had fond memories of the food from the previous establishment at this location, and we were hopefully excited to try the current occupant's offerings. We were quite disappointed. The service was good and we thought the environment was more welcoming than it had previously been. Our waitress asked us if we wanted a salad or soup with our meal, but didn't indicate that it was not included. My wife ordered the Caesar salad and I ordered the soup of the day. The salad was tough and the lettuce was not very flavorful. The soup was good. Our entrees were good, but when we got the check we were shocked to see that the salad, soup, 2 conservatively priced entrees, and a beer were $70.
- Great FoodBkbkVIPDined on 10/15/2014Excellent food in a nice setting with great wine selection and friendly welcoming chef, Matt.Special Features:
- nizzannDined on 10/14/2014Nice new place! I'll go back for sure. We especially liked the Brice's Burger appetizer.Special Features:
- Tasty Meals for BrunchTexasLeighDined on 10/12/2014It was my first time and it won't be my last. All three of us enjoyed our meals. Our waitress was so good, we thought she was a "Stepford Wife."Special Features:
- ExcellentTonyDined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious, ambiance great and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- sandrasandraDined on 9/26/2014I loved the place, it was wonderful, food was excellent, best I have tasted in HoustonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Never thing ordered tasted amazing and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruchVisitorVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a very nice brunch with our aunt. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for friends night outLizBVIPDined on 9/19/2014The decor is well put together and the place is clean. Bathrooms are hotel like which is very pleasant. Food was average but menu offered good selection. Wine list decent. Staff friendly and knowledgeable. Big parking lot but valet claims spots. Very little street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirminghamDined on 8/31/2014Great brunch! Short rib Benedict and regular eggs Benedict amazing. Great mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, quaint, excellent place!FoodieTexasGalDined on 8/31/2014Enjoyed the experience, great service - glad we tried it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understaffed this daygolferdude1Dined on 8/31/2014I have been to Federal Grill many times and it has always been great but this past Sunday it was obvious they were understaffed in the kitchen and I feel on the servers as well. It was brunch on the last Sunday of Restaurant week. My server took my drink order and then didn't come back for 10 minutes with my drink and then took my order. I never saw him again. Well he never helped me again. All Kudos go to Oliver that took over for him. Replenished my water, brought me another drink, was apologetic when he brought me a desert I didn't order but I didn't tell him. He came back and said, you didn't order this and I said no but that's ok. You are working your butt off. He was great. I will be back for sure. Today wasn't normal!
- Mixed reviewAndi03Dined on 8/31/2014Great food. Shady parking. Poor service. So parking anywhere in the Midtown, Washington area, Rice Military or Heights area is always going to be a challenge (1st world country problems...and then you get parking ticket) but sometimes it is worth it for a bit of fun foodie experience. Such is the case with FG. Once you have found parking or won the lottery with the poor valet guy that has chosen to offer you parking, the food is pretty good! According to sources, majority of the staff park in the back of the restaurant thus leaving us to fight for our lives. That same staff is scrambling to provide a decent service to match the food. Then we waited for 1.5 hours for our 1st course to arrive. Will be back. But not doing HRW.Special Features:
- OK - high, mediums and lowsmapmakerDined on 8/31/2014Had heard about the Federal Grill and was glad to try it during restaurant weeks. A little disappointed. Everything was pretty good. Nothing particularly outstanding. There were four of us and we tried a variety of dishes. The bacon on the wedge salad was the thinnest piece of bacon outside of Subway, but the bacon on the hamburger was plentiful and delish. Fried oysters were imaginatively served and quite good. Lightly fried and put back in shells. short ribs benedict - 3 people ordered this. One of the six eggs was gently poached. The other 5 were hard cooked. Deserts were OK. Not bad. Not great. Probably won't go back. With all of the great places in Houston, we don't have to settle. Service OK, but waiter disappeared.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencePaulSDined on 8/30/2014We went for the last Saturday of Houston restaurant month, specifically for the Prix Fixe menu. Everything was perfect. Our waiter, Daniel, was attentive, professional, and knowledgeable. I had the fried oyster appetizer and it may have been the best fried oysters I've ever had; perfectly cooked and perfectly presented. House salad was simple and was excellent. We all had the sea bass and, again, we were blown away. The only weak spot, at least for me, was the bread pudding. It was merely good. We'll be back and will bring friends. Just bring your wallet; it's not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentLately25Dined on 8/30/2014My friends and I were able to find this gem by way of Houston Restaurant Week, and wow are we glad we did! The service, the food, the ambience, everything was magnificent! I will definitely return, and not just for the $15 bottomless mimosas :-)Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Crab cakes are so flavorful! Love the atmosphere. Had a great dining experience and would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food vs atmospherediningexplorerDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent but noise level was off the charts. Made all conversation difficult at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHoustonDinerDined on 8/23/2014Now I understand why I've never heard anyone talk about this restaurant in the 2 years I've lived in the Heights. Me and 4 friends dined here Saturday night for restaurant week (which I specified in the reservation request via opentable). For the prices we paid for food and drinks, the service and quality did not meet that standard. It is obvious that the hiring manager has been hiring hostesses and waiters with absolutely NO restaurant experience. They were consistently overwhelmed, had awkward table manners and weren't very service-friendly. Food was undercooked (carrots and pork chop etc). I almost forgot to mention ... we received our check (yes, one check they refused to split) at 11:00 pm. We sat down to eat at 7:45.
- Pleasant surpriseAdavVIPDined on 8/23/2014The best new restaurant tried for HRW. Service excellent and food delicious. Hope they can keep going hotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jury still outKatycoleDined on 8/22/2014We went for HRW so it was busy. The service was so-so and that may have been the reason. Our server looked pretty rushed. Drinks took forever to come and and we had to ask for water a couple of times. Meals were all very good so I'd be willing to give it another try. Liked the atmosphere and variety of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good FoodMomLovesFoodVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is our second time to eat here & the food is so good. We took advantage of the Houston Restaurant Week menu & it was a great deal. We had a variety of food choices in our group of 6 - Appetizers of fried asparagus, fried oysters, entrees of Braised Short Rib, Roasted Chicken, Grilled Salmon, Fish special (Chilean Sea Bass), desserts of Half Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie (omg!), Cheesecake, Bread Pudding & everything was good! Wine list is decent but they buy wines in small lots so they were out of a couple of wines we tried to order. Service good & ambiance nice.Special Features:
- A Neifhborhood Gem!R1516Dined on 8/22/2014We were so surprised and pleased with the food we tried. It was fabulous!! Great menu with large size portions. I had to take 1/2 home.Special Features:
- Food for all times of dayantchamDined on 8/22/2014Great seating. Tasty Food suitable for all times of day...breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but don't be in a hurrySteaksVIPDined on 8/21/2014We've been here a few times and the food has always been very good. The service is slow, so if you're in a hurry this is not the place to go. If you want to hang out with a drink and some food, it's pretty good. It's also loud, not "energetic" so if you want a quiet place to talk you likely won't want this place. We like it, but because of the above its only particular times we will goSpecial Features: