The Federal Grill
510 Shepherd Dr
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Federal Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefederalgrill.com/
- Phone: 7138637777x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 2:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Federal Grill
Dress Up or Dress Down. A Bourbon or a Beer. A Ribeye or a Burger. Throw in a little Sinatra, and you will begin to have a taste of the FEDERAL Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Federal Grill - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
The Federal Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (60)great for brunch (56)special occasion (52)good for groups (41)great for lunch (35)vibrant bar scene (34)notable wine list (32)romantic (29)hot spot (24)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Overpriced and mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had fond memories of the food from the previous establishment at this location, and we were hopefully excited to try the current occupant's offerings. We were quite disappointed. The service was good and we thought the environment was more welcoming than it had previously been. Our waitress asked us if we wanted a salad or soup with our meal, but didn't indicate that it was not included. My wife ordered the Caesar salad and I ordered the soup of the day. The salad was tough and the lettuce was not very flavorful. The soup was good. Our entrees were good, but when we got the check we were shocked to see that the salad, soup, 2 conservatively priced entrees, and a beer were $70.
- Great FoodBkbkVIPDined on 10/15/2014Excellent food in a nice setting with great wine selection and friendly welcoming chef, Matt.Special Features:
- nizzannDined on 10/14/2014Nice new place! I'll go back for sure. We especially liked the Brice's Burger appetizer.Special Features:
- Tasty Meals for BrunchTexasLeighDined on 10/12/2014It was my first time and it won't be my last. All three of us enjoyed our meals. Our waitress was so good, we thought she was a "Stepford Wife."Special Features:
- ExcellentTonyDined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious, ambiance great and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- sandrasandraDined on 9/26/2014I loved the place, it was wonderful, food was excellent, best I have tasted in HoustonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Never thing ordered tasted amazing and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruchVisitorDined on 9/21/2014We had a very nice brunch with our aunt. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for friends night outLizBVIPDined on 9/19/2014The decor is well put together and the place is clean. Bathrooms are hotel like which is very pleasant. Food was average but menu offered good selection. Wine list decent. Staff friendly and knowledgeable. Big parking lot but valet claims spots. Very little street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirminghamDined on 8/31/2014Great brunch! Short rib Benedict and regular eggs Benedict amazing. Great mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understaffed this daygolferdude1Dined on 8/31/2014I have been to Federal Grill many times and it has always been great but this past Sunday it was obvious they were understaffed in the kitchen and I feel on the servers as well. It was brunch on the last Sunday of Restaurant week. My server took my drink order and then didn't come back for 10 minutes with my drink and then took my order. I never saw him again. Well he never helped me again. All Kudos go to Oliver that took over for him. Replenished my water, brought me another drink, was apologetic when he brought me a desert I didn't order but I didn't tell him. He came back and said, you didn't order this and I said no but that's ok. You are working your butt off. He was great. I will be back for sure. Today wasn't normal!
- Mixed reviewAndi03Dined on 8/31/2014Great food. Shady parking. Poor service. So parking anywhere in the Midtown, Washington area, Rice Military or Heights area is always going to be a challenge (1st world country problems...and then you get parking ticket) but sometimes it is worth it for a bit of fun foodie experience. Such is the case with FG. Once you have found parking or won the lottery with the poor valet guy that has chosen to offer you parking, the food is pretty good! According to sources, majority of the staff park in the back of the restaurant thus leaving us to fight for our lives. That same staff is scrambling to provide a decent service to match the food. Then we waited for 1.5 hours for our 1st course to arrive. Will be back. But not doing HRW.Special Features:
- OK - high, mediums and lowsmapmakerDined on 8/31/2014Had heard about the Federal Grill and was glad to try it during restaurant weeks. A little disappointed. Everything was pretty good. Nothing particularly outstanding. There were four of us and we tried a variety of dishes. The bacon on the wedge salad was the thinnest piece of bacon outside of Subway, but the bacon on the hamburger was plentiful and delish. Fried oysters were imaginatively served and quite good. Lightly fried and put back in shells. short ribs benedict - 3 people ordered this. One of the six eggs was gently poached. The other 5 were hard cooked. Deserts were OK. Not bad. Not great. Probably won't go back. With all of the great places in Houston, we don't have to settle. Service OK, but waiter disappeared.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencePaulSDined on 8/30/2014We went for the last Saturday of Houston restaurant month, specifically for the Prix Fixe menu. Everything was perfect. Our waiter, Daniel, was attentive, professional, and knowledgeable. I had the fried oyster appetizer and it may have been the best fried oysters I've ever had; perfectly cooked and perfectly presented. House salad was simple and was excellent. We all had the sea bass and, again, we were blown away. The only weak spot, at least for me, was the bread pudding. It was merely good. We'll be back and will bring friends. Just bring your wallet; it's not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificentLately25Dined on 8/30/2014My friends and I were able to find this gem by way of Houston Restaurant Week, and wow are we glad we did! The service, the food, the ambience, everything was magnificent! I will definitely return, and not just for the $15 bottomless mimosas :-)Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Crab cakes are so flavorful! Love the atmosphere. Had a great dining experience and would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food vs atmospherediningexplorerDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent but noise level was off the charts. Made all conversation difficult at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHoustonDinerDined on 8/23/2014Now I understand why I've never heard anyone talk about this restaurant in the 2 years I've lived in the Heights. Me and 4 friends dined here Saturday night for restaurant week (which I specified in the reservation request via opentable). For the prices we paid for food and drinks, the service and quality did not meet that standard. It is obvious that the hiring manager has been hiring hostesses and waiters with absolutely NO restaurant experience. They were consistently overwhelmed, had awkward table manners and weren't very service-friendly. Food was undercooked (carrots and pork chop etc). I almost forgot to mention ... we received our check (yes, one check they refused to split) at 11:00 pm. We sat down to eat at 7:45.
- Pleasant surpriseAdavVIPDined on 8/23/2014The best new restaurant tried for HRW. Service excellent and food delicious. Hope they can keep going hotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jury still outKatycoleDined on 8/22/2014We went for HRW so it was busy. The service was so-so and that may have been the reason. Our server looked pretty rushed. Drinks took forever to come and and we had to ask for water a couple of times. Meals were all very good so I'd be willing to give it another try. Liked the atmosphere and variety of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good FoodMomLovesFoodVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is our second time to eat here & the food is so good. We took advantage of the Houston Restaurant Week menu & it was a great deal. We had a variety of food choices in our group of 6 - Appetizers of fried asparagus, fried oysters, entrees of Braised Short Rib, Roasted Chicken, Grilled Salmon, Fish special (Chilean Sea Bass), desserts of Half Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie (omg!), Cheesecake, Bread Pudding & everything was good! Wine list is decent but they buy wines in small lots so they were out of a couple of wines we tried to order. Service good & ambiance nice.Special Features:
- A Neifhborhood Gem!R1516Dined on 8/22/2014We were so surprised and pleased with the food we tried. It was fabulous!! Great menu with large size portions. I had to take 1/2 home.Special Features:
- Food for all times of dayantchamDined on 8/22/2014Great seating. Tasty Food suitable for all times of day...breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but don't be in a hurrySteaksVIPDined on 8/21/2014We've been here a few times and the food has always been very good. The service is slow, so if you're in a hurry this is not the place to go. If you want to hang out with a drink and some food, it's pretty good. It's also loud, not "energetic" so if you want a quiet place to talk you likely won't want this place. We like it, but because of the above its only particular times we will goSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Loved food and ambience deserts ere great and both owners were awesome. Only thing that kept from 5 star was our waiter wasn't very good and didn't fit the quality of food and atmosphere experience. Isolated incident and we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but slow serviceTasterDined on 8/19/2014We did Houston Restaurant Week. The food was delicious but there were very few people in the restaurant and the service was extremely slow. If you have ample time and aren't in a rush, the food is worth the wait. But there are many other restaurants in Houston with quicker service and good food.Special Features:
- DecentTheSkinniestFoodie3Dined on 8/17/2014This is a decent brunch spot. The menu had some hits and misses. We went for brunch during restaurant week. I had the roasted bell pepper soup. Despite some complaints I read, I enjoyed it. It is like gravy. But I like gravy. Lol. My friend had the fried asparagus. It was pretty bland. Not much flavor. I went with the angry stuffed shrimp for second course. It was alright. Nothing to right home about. Didn't even taste the alleged feta cheese. My friend said his cheeseburger was great though. The half baked cookie was divine. Best thing I had there. The bread pudding also good. The $15 bottomless mimosas were great and they always kept my glass full. Service was great. All in all solid spot. Would return, but there are better places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirminghamDined on 8/17/2014Amazing brunch! The bottomless mimosas are the best we have ever had! And the food is awesome. Can't wait to come back and try other menu items.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time to Federal Grill since it took over the Branchwater Tavern space. We went for the HRW brunch menu and added the $15 bottomless mimosa to our respective orders. Federal Grill takes the term bottomless seriously as we never even came close to having a half empty glass. We both had the Federal oysters which, while similar to BWT's old style, do not have the Frank's hot sauce to give it that extra little kick. The brunch burger was good, though not as good as those served at Hearsay--my go to standard for brunch burgers. I liked that the dessert portions were not overwhelming and enjoyed my cheesecake topped with blueberry compote. We would certainly come back on a regular Sunday and find plenty to choose from.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceEdwinam1Dined on 8/16/2014Was here on a Saturday night after waiting a long time to try this place. The place was only half way busy and there was staff everywhere, yet they still could not manage to provide good service. It all started with the drink order that took 20+ minutes to get to our table. When I asked the waiter, his response was that the bar was busy with people. I took a glance at the bar and it was empty! The food arrived quickly as by this time, the manager had come to our table. One of the dishes had the risotto, and it was under-cooked. When the manager came back to the table, he called this their house specialty. Obviously, not. Extremely disappointed, yet, will go back to try other items on the menu. Don't let me down twice!
- Jim goldsidewalksallyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Very nice place to get a nice lunch. Food was good and service GoodSpecial Features:
- Great Birthday Brunch!houstonfoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went to The Federal Grill during Houston Restaurant Weeks for my husband's birthday. We decided on the brunch menu and it was delicious! There was something for everyone. Great atmosphere and it was great for a group of 9 of us! We plan to go again with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReneeDined on 8/15/2014This is my 3rd time here and I made a reservation for 11pm. However they close at 11pm. Thank God that staff was nice enough to still serve us. Food was good as usual but I felt the need to hurry since they were cleaning off tables and turning off lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBritguyDined on 8/15/2014Service was slow..starter was awful....main a little better....decided desert was not worth the bother....
- Wonderful meal!Foodiefair1Dined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I needed to entertain one of his clients. Federal Grill was the perfect choice. Two of us took advantage of Houston Restaurant Week menu which was excellent. Everyone was very pleased with their meals. I was thrilled to order John Anthony Cabernet by the glass.Special Features:
- Great location and restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Great food and atmosphere. Loved the biscuits and jam! I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RdlgWhatsupVIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been here about six times for lunch and have always enjoyed it. Servers were great; food was wonderful; owner said hi. But we've noticed a definite change, and it's disappointing. Servers are different every time and not that good. There must be a different chef, too, because quality has declined. There are six of us who meet for lunch once a month. We'll give it one more chance.
- DrinkDinnerDessertLoverDined on 8/13/2014The Federal Grill is a new restaurant in the area and it has a lot of potential. The overall look and feel of the restaurant is nice and clean, it just needs more people! We had the crab cake which is one of the things they are known for - it's less of a crab cake and more of a mountain of crab. The Salmon was excellent and cooked to perfection. The desserts were ok - I wouldn't order the bread pudding again. Overall it was great food and I was in great company. I can't put my finger on it - maybe the overall atmosphere - but I don't know if I'll return. There are so many restaurants in Houston and this one wasn't a standout all around.Special Features:
- Great for Houston Restaurant WeeksFlatworldDined on 8/12/2014Three friends met for lunch during the August Houston Restaurant Weeks promotion. We all ordered from the Houston Restaurant Weeks menu and each of us loved what we had. I tried the fried asparagus with crab meat appetizer and loved it. My friends ordered oysters and a wedge salad, and not a morsel remained. My grilled salmon salad entrée was excellent, and my friends seemed to enjoy their fish & chips and sandwich entrees just as much. We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant and checked the Sunday brunch and dinner menus while we were there. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrincessFoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Very understaffed for this particular Sunday. Will have to try this restaurant on another occasion. It's just a shame that it happened on my Birthday.