The Federal Bar
102 Pine Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90802Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Federal Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefederalbar.com/
- Phone: 5624352000x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shad Davis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering. Please email Nicole Castaneda for details (email@example.com)
- Entertainment: Owned and operated by Knitting Factory Entertainment, The Federal Bar offers a wide variety of entertainment including but not limited to: Comedy, Jazz, Indie Rock, Hip Hop and of course plenty of dancing. The Long Beach location stays true to it's "speakeasy style" with a basement venue underground which includes a bank vault, another bar, and plenty of room for you to try out those dancing shoes.
- Special Events: Great for weddings, private business functions, etc...
A word from The Federal Bar
This 1920's style bustling Gastropub and entertainment venue has quickly emerged from its sister location in North Hollywood to the sandy steps of Long Beach. Owned by Knitting Factory Entertainment, you can be sure to find smooth jazz one day, to comedy and burlesque the next. With a savvy collection of craft beer, signature cocktails, and sizzling hot eclectic cuisine, The Federal Bar is sure to make you sing their praisesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Federal Bar - Best Restaurants in Long Beach ›
The Federal Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (37)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (29)fit for foodies (28)late-night find (20)great for brunch (17)romantic (15)special occasion (15)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- This is a must place to try!LBCFoodieDined on 10/16/2014Great ambiance, great food & great service. I'm always looking for good places to find that is easy on the wallet and offers everything you would want in a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarginalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014It was OK. Place looked cool. Took 10 minutes before a server ever came to our table (it was not busy). Ordered a martini with bleu cheese olives and was told they don't have those (then one of the people I was with ordered a burger that came with enough bleu cheese to make olives for all of downtown Long Beach). The food was average...on the greasy side. Would not say it was bad but I would not go back again.
- Awesome time with friendsFoodCab83Dined on 10/2/2014I love this place. The service was excellent and the food was great. Then we went underground and the night got really fun. Mr. Miyagi Karaoke band was so much fun. We are definitely coming back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJSuciDined on 9/22/2014Nice lunch spot, great service, food creative and excellent. I would return for sure.Special Features:
- Good food and atmosphere.ClaytonVIPDined on 9/21/2014This place is a gem for Long Beach. We were surprised with how good the food was and the beer selection is well rounded as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome except for fire alarmMimiDined on 9/19/2014We love this restaurant. The food is fabulous and service is always good. We were here for a special birthday celebration which would have been terrific if it were not for the fire alarm going off. Apparently a dance group downstairs was using a fog machine and it set the smoke alarm off. Our server told us not to worry because this had happened before. The shame was that they are not able to turn off the alarm so they had to wait for the fire department. We waited a good 20 minutes with alarms blaring! Once it as turned off everything was great after that. My favorite items here: Mac and cheese, meatballs, and lamb chops!Special Features:
- Not quite what we expectedLennyDined on 9/14/2014Visited the restaurant for Sunday brunch. The restuarant wasn't busy, but yet our food was delayed. I ordered decaf and my refill was caffenated coffee :(. We ordered an addiitional breakfast sandwich and that was never delivered. When I asked for it our waitress said it had been given to another table and asked if we still wanted it. We received a $15 gift card for our troubles, this certainly says a lot; we will give The Federal Bar another try. We all deserve a 2nd chance.Special Features:
- Surprisingly Good!DeejayofSouthBayDined on 9/12/2014My girls and I were planning on getting our groove on at the speak easy below Federal Bar after dinner. And even though I saw a few interesting things on the on-line menu, I wasn't really expecting much. But I have to say, we totally tore up each and every dish that we had. We especially loved the Short Rib Poutine, the Mexican corn, and the Brussel sprouts salad. The service, unfortunately, was a bit lack luster and I had to get up to look for our waitress to get the check. But I won't judge too harshly based on one waitress. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the food, and will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:
- GailW.GailW2Dined on 9/11/2014I took my husband here for his birthday because it looked like a fun place for dinner. The food and service was great. The only disappointment was that they were out of the first desert that we choose and we had to order another.Special Features:
- Very dark. Iphone to read menuKnot2L8Dined on 9/3/2014Calamari salty, bacon piece on shrimp, flavor lost in salsa topping. After that start, difficult to want to eat anything else. So safe with tomatoe soup and cheese sandwhich, right? Basil soup was a little bitter with over powering basil. Great panini style sandwhich, cheese, bland. Reservation for 7:30pm, pretty empty, left about hour later. Place started to get busy. Polite server, only words out of mouth. Even criticized gentleman who very attentively and quietly filled water glasses, removed completed dishes, quietly standing back watching patrons. This chick was up front , chit chatting with back to us, while we waited to order next course. Oh, my...There for birthday...no dessert. We'll try someplace else to celebrate.
- Very cool spotShayrituDined on 8/29/2014Historic atmosphere, good food n service. Always a nice place for a romantic dinner or drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal BarGALAXYAVDined on 8/28/2014The food is good, not great. Cool old Security Pacific National Bank, Long Beach Main Branch. With an interior which was designed to give depression era customers the allusion their bank was solvent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly staffExcaliburDined on 8/27/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The staff went out of their way to make our lunch memorable. The food was excellent and served in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Too bad about the triviaHadtosaysomethingVIPDined on 8/25/2014I have always wanted to go to the Federal Bar. For years I would walk by and look in the windows, amazed at how beautiful it is inside. It seemed like the kind of place you go for a special occasion- the kind of place where you feel like you can treat yourself. I would have had that experience if it weren't for my choice to go on trivia night. The dj running the trivia did not know how to handle my request to join halfway through the game. All he told me was "We play in sequence." The food was excellent and the wine and beer choices were superb. Our server was very nice and easy to find when we needed something. Our experience would have been much more enjoyable if the dj was just playing music. I will be going back when there is no dj.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check your bill!FundiningoutDined on 8/24/2014First time the bill came back, it said we had given $30 instead of our having given $40, so the change was less than it should have been. When called to our server's attention, the bill came back corrected, but the change was still less than it should have been. So her tip became the change she stiffed us on. Beware!!!Special Features:
- Great FoodAGLBCDined on 8/23/2014Fast attentive service and good food. The drinks were okay, nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- I left the restaurant a noteShay1987Dined on 8/17/2014I would rather leave the restaurant a note than write a reviewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool and Hip SpotOctober77Dined on 8/15/2014I enjoyed the chicken and red velvet waffles. They were surprisingly spicy and delicious and the portion size is great for sharing. My dining companion had the bacon wrapped shrimp and wasn't impressed with the taste of the bacon. Overall the ambience is cool and hip (a modern twist on the roaring 20's era).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting placecarollVIPDined on 8/13/2014The building and decor is very interesting. The food is good to very good. The service is good to very good. The cocktail and beer offering are very good. The wine offering are good but not outstanding. It is a good place for a casual meal or for meeting up for happy hour or later evening drinks. Crowd gets bigger as the evening unwinds. There is also a club downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Took my sister to dinner for her 30th birthday. Great atmosphere and the food was great. The service was lacking a little bit but they were fairly busy at the time.Special Features:
- ilovelbDined on 8/9/2014Nice atmosphere, although a bit dark. The food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent waitress and staff. We arrived 30 minutes before our reservation and they sat us early even though the restaurant was already packed. I highly recommend any of the fish plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beautiful MessJethrineBodineVIPDined on 7/30/2014The restaurant is located in a beautiful classic building, but I wish more attention had been paid to practical matters, such as adequate lighting to read the menus. If you consider this a happening bar spot with a restaurant thrown in as an afterthought, you're less likely to mind the mediocre food.
- Really cool.DelishVIPDined on 7/29/2014What a delightful, culinary experience. The Mac & Cheese is the best I've ever had!!! OMG!! So delish!!!Special Features:
- MarieBDined on 7/29/2014The menu had some exciting options. The waitress told us they had mushroom soup. My friend and I decided to order a few starters to share(bacon wrapped shrimp with a mango chutney; barbeque sliders, & side salad). We each ordered a cup of the mushroom soup. The shrimp and sliders came first. The sliders were OK, but not exceptional. The soup came, but it was broccoli soup and we sent it back. The salad came last and by that time, we didn't really want it as our lunch time was already over. I'm sure if they had brought out the correct soup and salad out first we would have been happier. Overall, I recommend the shrimp, but not the sliders. The broccoli soup didn't taste good. We really wanted mushroom soup - which they did not have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchBrandenDined on 7/27/2014We bought a living social and had endless mimosas with brunch! The food was great. We order the French toast to share, an egg white omelet and the Fed Special? All were great. Not sure the bottomless mimosas are worth $15 per person if we were to come back in the future. Our server, Sam, was fantastic! Very attentive and made sure out mimosas never were empty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant!MARIA6167VIPDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant was very nice and elegant. It was a little bit dark inside, but it was very nice overall. It looks very classy for a fancy dinner or a friend gathering place. The food was amazing and perfectly priced! Everyone that works here made us feel very welcome and special :) I will definitely be coming back here again.Special Features:
- I love this place!ursa357Dined on 7/20/2014Great good....awesome service...amazing atmosphere! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchamcollinDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyable brunch coupled with great service. A short walk away from The Pike and in the heart of downtown Long BeachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great or not so greatcarollVIPDined on 7/15/2014The burgers are awesome. The fish and chips not so much. There was more breading than fish. Fish flavor was good, but seriously, batter on fish was heavier than the few pieces of fish. The fries are great too. Desserts are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 7/13/2014there is a valet sign outside of the restaurant bur the valets station themselves across the street. when u retrieve ur car, you have to go across the street to get it. restaurant is in a beautiful building. a lot of delicious, high fat bar food. we tried the chili (meaty, slightly spicy), poutine (fries with gravy and meat on it), burger, salad (very fresh with lots of veggies), blue cheese sliders. We liked everything. they need to have someone pick up empty plates. our empty dishes just sat there even when they were bringing new plates. the red velvet cupcake was a little dry, could have been old. But the other food was delicious and we want to go & try more itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Federal BarTwoMacs48Dined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed the Federal Bar. Why? They seated right on time. The servers were attentive from the beginning until we left. The food was delicious. And the beer choices were terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie find1hotburgerDined on 7/12/2014One couple had the chicken and waffles to share and with the chocolate peanut butter pie it was filling and good. I shared the tomatoe soup with a whole grilled cheese more than enough and tasty too. Husband had the OMG burger which was burning hot. He eats the jalapeño burger with pepper bacon at Stacked all the time this was 5x hotter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise dateKaiMLDined on 7/11/2014My boyfriend and I planned surprise dates for one another this weekend. My day was Friday & his Satutday. We went to happy hour at a near by resturant but I hated that there were so many flies so that was a huge down fall. After we went to the aquarium which was the highlight of the evening. We then walked to federal and this was our first time there and it was very noisy. I had reservations and I should have asked for a booth because we were sat right in the front in between two couples. The service was okay, I just wish I would have known that miao and conversation would flood the entire place. It was hard to even have a good dinner. We had to talk over everything & although the food was good, wish I would have known.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty cool Place to catch upsweetspotDined on 7/11/2014Food was mediocre. I would just go here for drinks and apps. Drinks would be my usual..not any of their specialty cocktails. I went here with a friend to catch up and it was great for that. The noise level was great to have a conversation and service was on point and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceNewMomDined on 7/11/2014The space is great! The appetizer we had was awesome! Short rib pontine over fries! Nummmmmm! Drinks were great. Burger one of ordered was good but was less than expected. Chicken and waffles were such a cool presentation... But sooo boring. A great place for ambiance and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014Had an excellent time at the Long Beach location. Was there to take a friend for her boozy birthday brunch and that was achieved. Really enjoyed ourselves. We had the breakfast sandwich which was excellent, and the hash breakfast with shortribs, that was also very good. Excellent beer selection, and the unlimited mimosas for the birthday girl were a deal at $15. Turns out they have a downstairs, and the place if huge, and the ambiance was lively. Will definitely return. BTW, this is not a place to bring the family.Special Features:
- Garlic ChickenGALAXYAVDined on 7/3/2014So I had the garlic chicken and it was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDrGOVIPDined on 7/2/2014Although we had a terrific birthday dinner with some outstanding fish and short ribs, the dining room was so dark you could barely see your companion or your food. When asked for a light; a tiny electronic candle was brought to the table but it did not make a difference. The brussel sprout dish and the maple flavored sweet potato tats were fantastic and each order could serve 3-4 people as a side dish. They were yummy and still good as leftovers.Special Features:
- twbenkiraneDined on 6/29/2014Apparently you have to make sure to indicate that you want a booth when you make your reservation. When we arrived we were sat at a terrible table in the center of the room. There were 6 open booths and we requested to sit at one. The hostess initially told us that they save the booths for large parties. There is no way you can have more than 4 adults sit comfortably in a booth and there was not one table that had more than that. We spoke to the manager and he was very rude and said that they were all reserved. The hostess was then able to find us a spot at a booth. Our server, Yvette, was fantastic and she saved the entire experience. It took 1.5 hours before anyone sat at a booth. The manager needs customer service training.Special Features: