The Fat Radish
17 Orchard Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
BritishPrice: $31 to $50
The Fat Radish
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefatradishnyc.com/
- Phone: 212 300 4053x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, American, British
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Towill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 2123004053x
- Special Events: For special event inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from The Fat Radish
The Fat Radish is a new restaurant in the Lower East Side from the Silkstone team inspired by seasonal, modern British cooking with an emphasis on farm-table practices and local sourcing. Like Silkstone's Catering and Events, the restaurant provides honest, fresh and healthy food to a stylish and contemporary table. The team sources the finest seasonal and heritage produce from specialist local farms and has created a communal setting that, like their food, is vibrant, approachable, and made by caring hands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Fat Radish reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (81)romantic (49)great for brunch (47)hot spot (36)good for groups (31)special occasion (30)great for lunch (28)late-night find (14)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Awesome dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I had dinner with my family there last weekend. Food and service were exceptional! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Reservation concernsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014When we made the reservation the only times available were 5:30 and the next time was 8:15PM. Our desire would have been 6:45 or 7PM. So it was very disconcerting when we arrived and we were the only party seated. The restaurant remained empty until a couple was seated at 6:15. The next couple of tables weren't seated until 6:45PM. My point is why we were not given the option for a later reservation ie; 6:15 or 6:30PM. It's never enjoyable sitting in an empty restaurant for the first 45 minutes to an hour. Thank You ScottSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovering euphoriaOliveDined on 8/18/2014Everyone has experienced a fun night with friends; where your face hurts the next day from smiling over good conversation and plenty of laughs. The second I took my first bite into the cooked carrots, my face beamed as if I had walked into a surprise birthday party of my dreams - all my friends and family in one place, Ryan Gosling shirtless, and a million dollar gift certificate to bergdorfs. Instead it was a couple of extremely well done carrots in my mouth. Who knew?Special Features:
- Uncomplicated foodluv2eatfreshDined on 8/17/2014Clean fresh food presented so one can actually taste the nuance. Completely free of the embellishments many restaurants are required to infuse when they use less than fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and nice atmosphereBrittBDined on 8/17/2014I've wanted to try the Fat Radish for quite a while, and finally made it there for brunch. It exceeded my expectations; the food was absolutely delicious for brunch and the atmosphere was cozy and welcoming.Special Features:
- Fat FlavorLauraRVIPDined on 8/16/2014The best thing about this little lower-east-side gem is the menu, which features fresh, farm-to-table ingredients in simple but innovative preparations. There was something tempting for everyone in our party, from the vegetarian to the died-in-the-wool meat eater. Nothing seemed perfunctory--the chef is clearly passionate about every dish. And the place was actually less noisy than I thought it would be, considering the decor and proximity of the tables. Very much worth a visit and I'd defend anyone's right to make it a regular hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014The only downside to The Fat Radish is that not planning ahead will make it tough to get a table. Consistently brilliant and with a New York crowd. Gotta love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!lem88Dined on 8/12/2014Picked this spot for my boyfriend's 30th and it was perfect! Healthier meal options without lacking any creativity or flavor. Given a private corner table, still close to others, but it was still casually romantic. Service was great, waiter had excellent knowledge. Definitely a place id go with a friend or two as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO LOUD.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014I couldn't hear anything the waitress or my dining partner said. I think it's the loudest restaurant I've ever been in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotNYCfoodieDined on 8/3/2014We had a table tucked away in the corner which made for a lovely night. Food was amazing! As were the wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular for a reasonRichRichDined on 7/27/2014unique food, great people, memorable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/23/2014I just recently started getting into a raw / paleo / veg heavy / green hybrid diet, and this is just what the doctor ordered. Food was great, Chicken over lentils was fantastic. Service on the other end... our waiter had extremely low energy, didnt check on us often if at all (I had to wave my arm to get his attention even. I would go back for the food, but not the service.Special Features:
- WonderfulEstherDDined on 7/20/2014I've eaten here many times and it's wonderful. Delicious food and I live the spicy tequila rose cocktail. Try to vege plate it's amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!VpetDined on 7/19/2014This was our first trip to The Fat Raddish and it was amazing... Great in all areas... A must when in NY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchBrunchieDined on 7/19/2014Solid brunch spot, but the service leaves something to be desired. We asked for bread at one point since our food was taking a noticeably long time to arrive, and received a surprise at the end of the meal when there was a charge on our bill for it. If this had been communicated on the menu or even when we asked for a bit of bread, a charge would have been totally fine. When asked about the "toast" charge on our bill, the server rudely said "Sorry" without acknowledging our question of why weren't we told before. Our server ignored our table for most of the meal, except when asking if we wanted change back from the twenties we gave her for the bill. Uh, no, even with good food, we're not leaving you a 40 percent tip for mediocre service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat your veggies!bellanycDined on 7/12/2014This was only my second time dining here, and it was just as fantastic as the first. Not only is the food delicious, the atmosphere is delightful. I have absolutely nothing bad to say. We started off with a cocktail, and then shared some of the appetizers. It's a great way of sampling many things. The menu changes slightly seasonally, and the seasonal items we tried this time were the heirloom tomato salad, corn orecchiette, and a cherry crumble. I'd never had a cold crumble before, and it was so much more refreshing this way. Love, love, love this place!Special Features:
- great place, weird locationAlexDined on 7/12/2014great food, drinks, and dessert. easy to get a reservation because it's in a weird neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/9/2014Food was great as was the service. The pea pot pie appetizer could use some better seasoning. It was quite blend but very fresh. Special cherry desert was amazing!Special Features:
- Good but not as much I expectedldbwlsVIPDined on 7/6/2014The restaurant was spacey enough. People didn't have to be next to each other too close. Not too noisy. There was a big window ceiling which it created a really nice atmosphere in the place. Food was moderate. Nothing too special about it for myself to want to go back soon. The most disappointing part was the coffee. They don't have an espresso machine. So the only options were juices and iced coffee. I can never imagine a brunch place without a coffee machine. Overall, it was average. If I'm around the neighborhood I will dine here again. Only if I'm nearby...:\Special Features:
- Excellent every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/5/2014Always great. Favorite dishes- kale salad & orecchietteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2014Lovely food - fresh, healthy, delicious. And, for a hipster place, surprisingly tolerant and solicitous to children.Special Features:
- Good, not greatHillymdVIPDined on 6/28/2014Nice ambience. Ok food. Lacking service. Not worth a repeat especially in NYC.
- wonderful meal and great spotforevasunDined on 6/28/2014Loved everything about the Fat Radish. Great food, awesome décor and ambiance. Our waitress gave us great recommendations. The place is charming and quaint. Came here with our toddler son and they did not have a children's menu but he enjoyed the food. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- excellent food as alwaysfood4mashaVIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been at FR probably 5-7 times and every time it was a real pleasure, food, service, ambiance. Last few times we were organized and reserved it, made it so much easier:) Can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SfpdoddVIPDined on 6/24/2014Really delicious!! Great vibe!! Love the cocktails, too.Special Features:
- Great night!millzDined on 6/24/2014Took my dad and brother here for dinner and we were all very impressed ! Had a great time and the monkfish was tasty ( eggplant was slightly undercooked but still a really great dish). - The rose cocktail was incredible! Overall a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!GregDined on 6/22/2014I've been here for brunch a number of times, and it's fantastic. Amazing food, great service. One of these places that you instantly want to come back to so you can try more things of the menu (that you see other people getting). Just note that brunch is cash only.Special Features:
- Fat DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/15/2014It was great to be able to make a reservation for 8 people. The table had benches so there wasn't any back support after walking for several hours so it wasn't as comfortable to sit at the table as I would have liked. The menu is beautiful, but other than the pancakes, the portions are tiny. A large man in our party ordered a $16.00. There wasn't even a piece of bread with it. The pea pie was a mixture of peas and pods barely steamed in a watery, bland base (probably water!) without seasoning and topped with puffed pastry dough. The pancakes were delicious and the salmon crostini and potato cake also looked good. Overall, an uncomfortable, expensive experience and not worth the visit.
- rustic elegancedisappointed1VIPDined on 6/15/2014excellent food, locally sourced, beautiful atmosphere of country inn....on Orchard street between Hester and Canal.Special Features:
- Ruined our anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014We went to this presumptuous place to celebrate our first anniversary and the experience was everything but pleasant. Despite having a reservation and being there on time we had to wait 45 min to be seated. During the long waiting, we decided to have some glasses of wine. Once we had a table ready, waitress rudely suggested us to pay in advance. We ordered some bread and awkwardly again we were adverted it was "not complementary" like if we looked like deadbeats. Food was average; nothing to remember except for the "Fat radish," a weird bunch of tasteless boiled veggies arranged like if they had been dropped on the plate from a 3 story building. We were shocked.Pricey, rude and unprofessional service and mediocre food. Avoid at all costsSpecial Features:
- Fun Food in the CityKCRDDined on 6/1/2014Ate at the Fat Radish upon the recommendation of a friend studying at CIA when we recently visited NYC. It was a long ride from the tourist area of the city and in a less scenic area, but worth it. The food was very good and the menu offered something for our friend who is vegetarian as well as for the fried chicken and seafood lovers in our group. The Spring Pea Pot Pie is a must for an appetizer. My two suggestions would be better lighting to see the vibrant colorful vegetables that are the stars of their menu. Also more explanation of the specials and menu from the servers. The specials were on a board that was hard to see from our table and were not described by our slightly aloof server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All is not lost on the L.E.SLes1Dined on 5/25/2014Great for vegetarians. Great for wine lovers and great cocktails.Special Features:
- Wondrous DiningCaseyLynnPhotogDined on 5/24/2014A lovely place for anyone. Definitely a hidden gem in this neighborhood. The interior is unexpectedly bright and picturesque which makes you want to relax there all day. Amazing menu with unique and healthy choices. Reasonably priced. Excellent service -- everyone was smiling all around. My friend and I had an excellent brunch experience here and I will highly recommend this spot to all of our friends.Special Features:
- Fat Radish dinnerDandDDined on 5/23/2014The scene was very up and lively Great service and it is evident that the owners are there are very hands on making sure everyone is happy with the food and service Dishes leaned toward creative vegetarian and were wonderful but many around us were ordering the bacon cheeseburger ! Will have to try it next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodKaie89Dined on 5/20/2014The food was amazing and service perfect. Def coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent night out !!SeefoodandeatDined on 5/20/2014The environment is clean elegance. It's filled with light in the early evening. The restaurant is mostly communal seating but I like people so that is fine by me. Chef Nick Willber is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerEllerylizzyDined on 5/17/2014All of the food was delicious, atmosphere was cozy, romantic, and hip without trying. The tuna ceviche was very fresh and a perfect summer dish. The Fat Radish plate was perfect -- very filling while not making you feel gross afterwards. Still thinking about the Banana Toffee pie.....probably my favorite spot in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to spend an afternoon!macnycVIPDined on 5/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our recent lunch at the Fat Radish catching up with old friends in a lovely, relaxed atmosphere. The food was excellent, the menu full of tempting options and the ambience and service most pleasant. We will most certainly be back.Special Features:
- Great "Farm to Table" FeelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2014This is a place for foodies who love beautiful ambience. Well done.Special Features:
- Lovely Restaurant.AmazingDined on 5/5/2014First of all, the food was all very tasty. The ambient and decor were stylish but homey. Not a place for a big group but is for a few friends' get together to have relaxing and delicious food. I didn't feel rushed at all, but it could be because it was Monday night though the place was rather full for Monday night! I would recommend this place for people looking for a cozy nice restaurant to have a bit trendy evening (but not over-the-top at all) with friends (not good for kids) - I think taking your visitors would probably like this place also :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 560 reviews are from the The Fat Radish reviews archive.