The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
20178 96th Ave
Langley, BC V1M 0B2Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefatcow.ca/
- Phone: 7782980077x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday - 4pm - close
Friday 4pm - close
Saturday 5pm - close
Sunday 5pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, English, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Christopher Leon Roper
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: The Black Radish Catering Co. is our sister company catering events from 2 - 350
- Private Party Contact: Chris Roper 778-298-0077x
- Entertainment: Live music Every Friday and Saturday Night
A word from The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
The Fat Cow is located on the corner of 201st and 96th in Langley British Columbia we are a small and warm restaurant with dark hardwood floors and comfortable and relaxed seating. The Fat Cow serves up French inspired northwest cuisine as well as having a fully operational oyster barContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Langley ›
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (31)good for groups (14)romantic (14)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Surprisingly exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Although we were hesitant to visit this restaurant due to some harsh reviews, the quality of food for the price was exceptional. Service staff did their jobs very professionally, although I wouldn't say they were overly friendly. The food was brilliant- a wonderful find - eclectic and interesting. We definitely felt we got our money's worth!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden spot!AnxioustotryDined on 9/7/2014We've been a good half dozen times, and never disappointed. The specials change regularly, and every time we've had a special, well worth the gamble!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing servicewineanddineDined on 9/5/2014We went to the Fat cow last Friday for our anniversary dinner. It was amazing, the service was the best I've had in a long time. All the servers were working together and were very attentive. Food was amazing. We will definitely be going back!!Special Features:
- Not badMike76Dined on 9/5/2014Not disappointed we went, but nothing unique or notable to mention. Very nice and attentive service staff. Food was fine. There are many great dinning options in the area, and I am not likely spend time or money there again.
- Serice with a brain?happytimesDined on 8/23/2014Waitress did not know her menu or products offered. We were stuck in a corner with a table that was off balanced, had to ask for a drink menu. We had to flag her down to give her our order while she continually flung back her long flowing hair all over the place. When the food arrived only 3 of us got our meals and when my brother asked where his was she said "We are working on that" When we were almost finished our meals my brother again asked where his dinner was and she said " we are working on that" eventually she said they ran out of chicken and his dinner would be another 5 minutes so he cancelled his dinner. They also did not have cooked oysters on this SATURDAY night at a oyster bar. We asked to speak to manager but unavailable.
- Very PleasedFoodRadarDined on 8/16/2014I must admit that I had tried Fat Cow before and didn't have a very good experience. We decided to try them again and I am so happy that we did. If we had not of gone back we wouldn't have realized how great Fat Cow could be. The service was nicely paced. The food is incredible. The portions are well sized and definitely good value. We had the special which was a steak with Hollandaise and I have never had Hollandaise this good. Steak was perfectly cooked and delicious .Ingredients are excellent quality. The soup was loaded and the crab on the steak actually came in nice sized pieces. Also; give the goat cheese cheesecake a try. Much better than normal cheesecake: lighter. Huge selection of beers. I would say; give Fat Cow a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit, service not as goodAtasteforchangeDined on 8/14/2014Took our parents, they had a hard time picking a meal from the menu. My husbands side order of lobster Mac n cheese arrived as an appy before his meal. However the pork jowels appy I ordered to share with the table didn't arrived until my chicken n waffle and the rest of the tables meals had been delivered. Did I mention the meal arrived an hour after ordering. As a thank you dinner out it was long and expensive. I don't think our parents will ever try the place again. Myself it seemed as if the table of 4 order was to complex to arrive in an orderly fashion. So would only go as a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Fantastic food and great service, the best meal I've had in quite some time.Special Features:
- OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014They are as good as any in the lower mainland. And better than many top restaurants in vancouver. Great live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety!BeachGirl62Dined on 8/9/2014Really enjoyed looking at this menu. If you are a fan of oysters, mussels, or clams, they have some very appealing ideas. We all loved the lobster Mac 'n Cheese and the Duck Poutine. My friends had the Sibling Seafood bucket and were enthralled with the flavour and tenderness of the seafood. I ordered the Pork x3 with the most tender and delicious gnocchi. Hubby had the crab cake burger, also great. We will be back again for more deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemlovevcrbcDined on 8/6/2014Well worth searching for. A hidden gem in Langley that was a little hard to find in a strip mall. Could use signage on the main street...Menu, food, service and ambiance were first class. It's bound to become one of our new favorites when in the mood for seafood and blues tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great food.YummyDined on 8/5/2014We went for my birthday and the food and drink we're excellent. Nice walk from our place. The service was slow, but that seemed to be because they were short-staffed. I imagine that will be rectified soon. Really worth giving them a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lyn-Nell and BrianmonkandmeDined on 8/1/2014we went here to celebrate our 28th anniversary and we wanted to enjoy a different dining experience. Our friends recommended this place to us and since we both LOVE seafood we decided to come here. Let me tell you the food was amazing!!! we shared a wonderful quinoa salad and then we shared a dish of roasted asparagus our main course was wow out of this world, we shared a dish called the sibling and it had all of our favorite seafoods as well as chirozo sausage and corn and roasted potatoes, unbelievable !!! We even had room for a wonderful desert. We were blown away by the great service and fabulous menu. we will definitely be back to try some more of your great food because it was so hard to decide what to eat.Special Features:
- Hidden PearlphesterDined on 7/26/2014Food at this hideway is excellent, compared to anywhere downtown or in the Valley. You will not go wrong choosing any of the soups (but go for the bacony Manhattan Chowder) or the mussels and clams. Sauces and seasonings are unique, as are a few cocktails. Chef and his helper are a blur of efficient prep with both great looking and tasting. Ambiance is loud so not a quiet date place, table layout is a bit congested too. The night we were there they were having some service issues, missed orders, delayed food. Not catastrophic but both server and owner genuinely tried to make things right and comped some drinks and entrees. We will be back and suggest you give them a try as well rather than driving into Vancouver for excellent seafood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The menus were stained. Smaller menus also would be better No steak knife with steak had to ask. Also no condiments on table. Service a little slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double date night WINShannonDined on 7/12/20142 couples booked a night out with kids at home. We had read all the reviews and scoured the menu and the reality of the dinner exceeded our expectations (which were high to start). The service was attentive but relaxed and the dining pace was perfect, not rushed. The food was great, and it was a fabulous departure from the plethora of chain restaurants in the Valley. We will be coming again, we will make a night of oysters and Old Fashioneds.Special Features:
- Flavorful Food!foodie51Dined on 7/4/2014First time at this eatery- decor is nice although our reserved table was right in front of the kitchen doors, so we asked for another table, and were moved, no problem. Service is attentive but slow, so order your appie and main at the same time so there is not so much of a stretch between the two courses. We tried the Sasquatch oyster and the corn bread- both delicious. Flat iron steak was cooked to order with perfectly cooked asparagus, and the pork tenderloin dish is divine! For those of you with a sweet tooth, don't expect dessert- there is none on the menu and none was offered... not a big deal for those of us who are full after the main... overall, a good first impression.Special Features:
- Best Kept SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We tried this place out after a friend saw the chef on the local morning news. The food is fantastic; they have live music on Friday and Saturday night. Our first visit here the music wasn't great but music is often hit and miss and I wouldn't let that deter me from dining here again. The service was good, friendly, knowledgeable about the menu. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great eatsLovingLangleydiningDined on 7/2/2014So glad that we found this place, any one who loves seafood should definitely go here! The menu is unique, the servers are wonderful & the food is FABULOUS!! Great wine selection, good atmosphere - all in all, it was a very enjoyable evening & I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Great live music on Saturdays. Presentation of food was nice. Service a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!foodiesintrainingDined on 6/28/2014We always have a great time when we go to the Fat Cow & Oyster Bar. The food is delicious and perfect for sharing so you can try more of what they have to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Menu, Beer/wine list!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Busy, vibrant little spot! Chef was on TV earlier that day which I'm sure whetted everyone's appetite for Mac n' Cheese with Lobster! I ordered the Mussels in lemongrass with fries, my wife had the Fish of the Day (Snapper) Both meals were adequate proportionally and tasty. We would go again, perhaps on a day when there is no entertainer (he was good, but small crowded venue added to Vibrancy of the smaller space), we will go again, possibly a Brunch scenario:) ps.... loved the fact that all ingredients are sourced 'Locally!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My only negative was that it took a very long time for our food to come and the restaurant was not very busy either when we ordered our food. It was very delicious when we got it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceAndyDined on 6/27/2014My daughter and I tried this restaurant on Friday evening. Service was very slow, the food took forever to arrive and we were shocked at what they considered a caesar salad. My daughter received about 2 of the smallest leaves of the innards of a romaine lettuce, the dressing was on the plate under these 2 leaves. We were appalled. Shocked. We should have sent it back but we had waited so long already, my daughter just the little that was there and then I gave her part of my dinner. Brutal- esp since I don't live in Langley and it was supposed to be a special dinner for us.............never ever to return...............I am tempted to send an email to the manager.................
- Pleasantly suprisedBeerForMeDined on 6/27/2014After reading a few hit and miss reviews, I was a bit reluctant to try Fat Cow -- but then there aren't a tonne of other options in the area for a quality non-chain restaurant, so off we went. The place is tucked away in a little sparsely occupied strip mall, but is decorated nicely on the inside, and there was pleasant live music (this was a Friday evening). Most complaints I read suggested really long waits for food, but we had no issues. Drinks came quickly (good selection of craft beers is a big plus for me), and the food came out in reasonable time too (and was very good!). It wasn't lightening fast, but I don't know why people would go out to a nice restaurant if they don't want to hang out and relax a bit!Special Features:
- Long waitUnhappyDined on 6/25/2014It took us 30 minutes after ordering to get our COLD starter & 2 hours to complete our main course, the restaurant was 50% full. I complained once & was told that there was only one cook - sorry not good enough & will NEVER go back - have heard this from a few other unsatisfied customers.
- Anniversary Dinner was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2014There isn't any oyster bars in Coquitlam, so I figured we can try something new. I found The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar about 20 mins away from opentable.com and I figured I give that a try. It was our anniversary dinner and we made our reservation time quite late. They stayed open for us and gave us the best service and food we ever had in awhile. Oysters were priced reasonable and they are all very fresh. The presentation was impressive. We went on a sunday and they have a beer and burger combo for $15! The presentation for the fries and the burger was very nice, but it was a bit on the salty side. Oysters were amazing! Everything tasted home made. We will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Secluded GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Booked a late table (9:45), without realizing the kitchen was closing at 10:00pm - but the staff were more than happy to stay open for us and served us some really good food. A nice selection of raw oysters, along with some very interesting appetizers. The atmosphere is great for date night, and the server we had really made us feel special. The restaurant is tucked away in an out of the way spot, so make sure to Google Map it before heading out. I really, really enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese; perfectly salty, with large chunks of perfectly cooked lobster. The beet Napoleon salad and duck poutine were also solid dishes. Glad I found this place, and I'll be happy to go back when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Great food.....lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food here is great but the service is really poor. The restaurant was completely full but only 3 servers. Our group of six didn't receive our drinks due to the server forgetting, but the drinks were still on the bill so that had to be corrected. we had to get up and ask for cutlery and dessert took forever to arrive. But I would still return since the food here is delicious.Special Features:
- Not third Time LuckytidesupVIPDined on 6/11/2014Four of us go for a Wed evening dinner...our third visit but first time during the mid week. Totally different vibe than when we went on a weekend...this somewhat expected. However, we tried 4 different dishes and were all mediocre....different cook in he kitchen on WED perhaps. For appie they recommended the onion bread but then told us they did not have any. Settled for cheese bread and garlic fries...both pretty tasty. Mains we had Chicken Waffles, Quinoa Salad, Caesar salad with shrimp, and the burger. All was unremarkable. Burger was dry and tasteless. Service was slow but overall very good as we don't mind taking our time over dinner. Will try again and go with seafood boil as was great the last time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableRosshouseDined on 6/6/2014The food was excellent and so was the service! Girls night out - the three of us shared the seafood platters for two, which along with oysters and bread for appies was plenty. It was our first visit there and the waitress was very helpful in describing the menu options and local favourites and offered great suggestions for which oysters to try. It was a Friday evening so there was live music which was nice and not too loud so we could still have a conversation. I am looking forward to returning with my husband since he's a big oyster fan.Special Features:
- Fine experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014Overall, we enjoyed our experience and the prices were reasonable. The oysters we tried were excellent but the shared feast was dried out and less than stellar. We had a large group (10 people) but it shouldn't have taken well over an hour to get our food - it was crazy slow and the restaurant wasn't busy besides us. However, overall, I would recommend it as a good night out.Special Features:
- Fat Cow Bad CowbadcowDined on 6/4/2014very disappointing except décor. To start': the Pork x3 which was suggested was dry and very boring. The Chardonnay by the glass - only one poor choice - waitress did not tell us it was 30% off a bottle and you could take unfinished home. Waitress dressed like early'' grub' 'Oysters good ,overpriced for the location ( many high end restaurant in Vancouver offer that price. There has to be some reason people would go to a strip mall for dinner at that price and it wouldn't be just for the nice towels in the bathroom thought they were appreciated overall - not going back for $200 for 3 people who left very unsatisfiedSpecial Features:
- DisappoitedportionDined on 5/31/2014Special of the day, steelhead, had to search through salad for fish only to find slivers of the steelhead. Although tasty disappointing as was expecting a fillet. Very noisy with the piano singer. Waitress appoligized about steelhead plate even though we showed her the small amount of pieces, would have liked to have her offer to take plate back to kitchen or offer another choice as the other 3 dishes were appropriate portions.Special Features:
- More than we expectedNewfavplacetoeatDined on 5/30/2014Recommended by a friend for fresh local food that makes you feel like you are eating in Yaletown! Our meals were fantastic and beautifully presented. Exciting twists on kid favorite's like fried chicken and waffles and lobster Mac n' cheese grilled cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Drive!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014The unassuming location may be a challenge to find but this gem is definitely worth the drive! The food is inventive, local, fresh and the quality is outstanding - we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- The following 161 reviews are from the The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Great EveningwinechickDined on 5/24/2014Had eaten here once before and was not impressed heard they had changed the menu & it was a def improvement. I had the chicken & waffles was really good my husband had the steak & our friends had the "Sibling" a seafood dish you share and everyone was full and thought the food was great. They have entertainment and they were very nice to listen to Would def recommend this restaurant & will be back. Our friends did ask "How did they come up with the name -The Fat Cow" does get your attention .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters ahoy!LivetoeatDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I were given gift cards for TFCaOB so I did not know what to expect. I started off with a couple of their signature cocktails which I really enjoyed especially the "mock scotch". I ordered six oysters on the half shell to start. These were so fresh and tasty I ordered six more. My wife not being a seafood lover had the corn chowder which she enjoyed. For mains I had 2lbs of clams and mussels in a lemongrass and coconut broth. Again I was very pleased with the meal. My wife had a burger which was pretty dry. Overall the experience was good and I will go back. My only suggestion would be to have a few more selections for non-seafood dinersSpecial Features:
- Great area restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Really like The Fat Cow. It's NOT a chain. Server was great. Nice ambience, easy for conversation even with live entertainment, close to home. Seafood was fresh. Only downfall was I think it took almost an hour to get our meals after we ordered, which is why the 3 stars for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemThe3TsDined on 5/16/2014This restaurant, which is tucked away at the edge of an industrial park, is truly a gem! Great ambiance, excellent food and a relaxed mood. We had fun!Special Features: